Victor Valdes retires

Schneckerl

My way of looking at it is this. Would he have started on any of these teams then or now. I’m talking prime Valdes
There is some truth to what both of you guys are saying, just heavily exaggerated.

Looks like you already changed from Championship level to top team backup. Now Casanova needs to slow down on his "most iconic GK with his feet" opinion....

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
There is some truth to what both of you guys are saying, just heavily exaggerated.

Looks like you already changed from Championship level to top team backup. Now Casanova needs to slow down on his "most iconic GK with his feet" opinion....
Like I said bang average. He wound not start in any top team in his prime back then or even now. Even now he would not start in a Spurs or a wolves (only cause I rate Rui higher) or a PSG etc.

The championship part was obviously and exaggeration but like I said even in Portugal he would not be a starter in Porto, Benfica, or Sporting or our national team.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Then who? Name him.
You still didn’t answer if he would start in any of the teams I named above.

Like I said he could have been Ronaldinho with the ball in his feet but that counts for nothing as a GK if you are an average shot blocker.

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
I doubt Barça would have won the 06, 09, 11 finals with Jorquera or Pinto as the 1st GK.
You wouldn't have won it with Karius either, not that Valdes was bad (he was pretty decent) but you get the point.

You had some of the best in every position so the GK was the weak link, relative to the quality around him, and it did cost you on a couple of occasions, but the dominance of the team lessened the blow.

Acole9

Outstanding
He'll be an inspiration to the young players, they'll all be refusing to play for the reserves side.

RooneyLegend

I take it most missed his season at Middlesbrough. The man was a quality keeper who was difficult to judge because of how good that Barca side was.

Luke1995

I'd argue that he could've played in the 2014 World Cup. At that point, Casillas was worse than him.