Vida's piece on Rio from UTD website

championo

Top Stalker
Though that is true, it would have felt normal if he made a deal at end of season and left. But he kinda made a deal mid-season and seemed like jumping the ship, trying to get as far away as he could from Moyes
Maybe he saw someone who could not lead ants to a sugar hill.

SambaBoy

Him and Rio were just stupidly good at some points during 07-11. Just go no change out of them in any aspect. We definitely took them for granted, how we could do with a Vidic or Rio now.

POF

I agree. That's such an obvious comparison but I've never thought of it that way before.

To me Vidic was simply the best defender, who reached a higher peak, consistency and did 'more'/was more effective on an indiviual level in relation to his influence on the team. Of course I'm not detracting from Ferdinand's performance, who was the better footballer and more than did his part.

But it's like Keane's role compared to Scholes. We wax lyrical about latter justifably but Keane was a force of nature, who's 'influence' and capacity felt more.

We may be seeing something similar to Bruno and Pogba.

Anyways weird post over. Sigh I miss the Serb.
The similarity between Keane and Vidic was most obvious when you saw the teamsheet and they weren't on it. You would immediately be far less confident going into the game.

Ferdinand and Scholes were fantastic players but I really struggle to understand how fans could have watched United week in week out in those eras and thought they were better or more influential players than Vidic and Keane.

criticalanalysis

The similarity between Keane and Vidic was most obvious when you saw the teamsheet and they weren't on it. You would immediately be far less confident going into the game.

Ferdinand and Scholes were fantastic players but I really struggle to understand how fans could have watched United week in week out in those eras and thought they were better or more influential players than Vidic and Keane.
Obviously it's a team game but even in isolation and trying to 'judge' with all the stipulations, the bolded bit is where we just value and see things differently isn't it?

The last Utd player I felt, who had that influence was Fletcher. His peak was short but my word was it great. I often felt his performances exceeded Carrick by levels, who I felt with all the technical ability just didn't force himself in the game enough..

Revan

Assumptionman
Over time I think Vidic's impact at United is getting overlooked. He joined in 2006 and established himself in the 2006/07 season. United won the next 3 league titles. Lost the one after when he missed a lot of games and won it the season after when he returned to full fitness.

The Basel injury was a cruel blow and he certainly wasn't as good after that. Still the best defender at the club by a long long way but not the defensive colossus he was previously.

There are only 3 players who have won Premier League player of the season twice. Henry, Ronaldo and Vidic. In Premier League history, that is the level he should be remembered.
No way, Both Rio and Evans were better than him in 2012-2013. Rio even made the team of the year.

Vidic was brilliant form 2006/2007 up to his Basel injury, and in 2010-2011 I would say that he was the best CB in the world and probably our most important player.

Fracture90

What we miss the most from VDS is the coming out for corners and freekicks. De Gea just stand there, that part of him never developed. Good read, love the throwback memories. I remember how I thought Evra and Vidic were shite in their first few months. I thought mid season acquisition were a gamble.
That is one aspect of the game that i always wished for DDG to improve, even when he's going after a ball that's being challenged by opposition player he tends to shy away from commiting himself fully. Reckon he's not a fan of getting physical.

Lam

Would be nice if VDS also writes about the trio. I remember VDS missing a Rio back pass into the goal and everyone including Fergie felt sorry for him and not angry at all. He was so consistent and dependable along with Vida and Rio. The trio were good as Rooney-Ronaldo-Tevez and did it for half a decade!

I hope Ole is drilling the “we have to win, we have to win, we have to win” mindset into the squad.

POF

No way, Both Rio and Evans were better than him in 2012-2013. Rio even made the team of the year.

Vidic was brilliant form 2006/2007 up to his Basel injury, and in 2010-2011 I would say that he was the best CB in the world and probably our most important player.
Rio making team of the year was like Giggs winning player of the year. A player who was past his best having a surprising resurgence when he was better than expected.

Vidic missed a lot of games through injury that season but was still easily the best defender at the club when he got on the pitch.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I personally love the fact that both Rio and Vida give credit to VDS, who was a huge part as to why those two and the whole defense did so well for us during those years.
The articles are very very similar. I think someone has been copying homework

bsCallout

Both were great reads.

They highlighted the two issues I've posted about fairly often on this forum about our current team.

De Gea doesn't offer that protection, and he certainly doesn't talk to the CBs like VDS did.
Lindelof and Maguire havent YET developed the ability to cover for each others weaknesses. Particularly Lindelof who struggled to read the game and cover in behind Maguire when Maguire goes in for the ball/tackle.

A good partnership takes good players to a level they couldn't otherwise achieve. I really hope our CBs take inspiration from this to work together.

Fergie hoped Jones and Smalling could have achieved this but ultimately injuries(& quality) put an end to that dream.

stevoc

Good read!

I’m still a little bit sour at how he basically ditched us mid-season as soon as things got a bit shit. He was our captain too.
It's entirely possible he was planning on leaving when his contract ended in 2014 before that season and maybe even before he knew Ferguson was retiring.

What else could he have done signed another contract and waited around until we were on top again before leaving?

He'd still be here in that scenario.