Music Video Game Soundtracks

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Or just all music/audio of a game. I really feel it's come a long way now. Following on from the other thread, how do you feel modern gaming music compares to film? Granted, I probably find myself less and less interested in films but I do think feel the last 10 years have produced some exceptional gaming soundtracks. Which are your favourite ones? Listing a few for reference.

Moby

Dick
Having said that while there are a lot of good soundtracks for me the Persona 5 OST is something that actually elevates the entire experience to an absolute another level. It is good enough as a musical set on its own but it's a case where this OST actually defines how you perceive the game events. Given how insanely immersive the game itself is there were a few times I felt the OST was driving my mood and decisions. The sheer diversity and how it ties in with every sequence is absolute masterclass. This actually made me listen to more similar stuff. A huge part of what is probably the most aesthetically pleasing gaming experience ive had.

There were a lot of times when I just stopped doing anything and let the soundtrack play for ages.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Same with this one. Had to just stop doing anything after getting blown away by the soundtrack.

This is one soundtrack I loaded on a pen drive just for my long drives (back when that was a thing we used to do). I frickin love the combination of the orchestral sounds and the rustic instruments.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Jeremy Soule's score for Skyrim was perfection.

Another track I constantly find myself going back to over a decade after playing the game is Serenity, the save room music from Resident Evil 4. Insanely atmospheric.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604

This worked absolutely amazingly in the game, even the scenes with the crones talking with this in the background was absolutely ace.

Most of the Witcher soundtrack is epic. Shame the show didn't use the music from the game tbh. Too many good tunes.

Red_Aaron

SFII has so many classics, not least the main theme which invokes so many memories of hearing it from across a dark arcade and following the sound to find the machine

Of all the stages though, this was my fave, a stone cold banger

Red_Aaron

In the early smartphone days this was my ringtone for ages. It starts with such a flourish it was the perfect notification sound

Glorio

Going old school here, but the Streets of Rage 2 Slow Moon soundtrack was brilliant - still stuck in my head

Here's a funk remix not limited by 16bit!

Glorio

SFII has so many classics, not least the main theme which invokes so many memories of hearing it from across a dark arcade and following the sound to find the machine

Of all the stages though, this was my fave, a stone cold banger
Guile and Ryu though .... for me those were the gold standard. They were all good though, Ken's one came third for me after those two. Balrog's not bad either

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
In the early smartphone days this was my ringtone for ages. It starts with such a flourish it was the perfect notification sound
I grew to despise this over the course of the game. Fecking random battles...

The victory music, however, is perfect for receiving phone notifications.

Deery

Dreary
FIFA always has a good sound track, particularly liking this one….

This was good too from LMA Manager 07

Last edited:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

This one is good too. FF14 actually has a ton of great scores.

Or Super double dragon for the rock hard nostalgia boner

Revan

Assumptionman
Nier Automata is unmatched in this aspect.

A game that deserves to be played on its music alone.

I also loved Final Fantasy music, when it was done by Uematsu. Chrono Trigger was good too.

Yennefer’s theme in TW3 is the best theme in that game.

Deery

Dreary
When you’re cruising through the Mountains, a trail of police cars after you, bullets flying and explosions left, right and centre.. :lol:

The Hilton

Some good contributions in this thread, but just to add a couple more from some indie PC games I've played where the music has stood out:

And also this all time classic soundtrack:

Ainu

A lot of my favourite soundtracks of the last 10 years have already been named here. Three obvious ones:
- Hollow Knight
- The Witcher 3
- Nier Automata

A name I haven't seen mentioned is Gustavo Santaolalla, who has mostly done film scores (Brokeback Mountain among others) but has done stunning work on both The Last of Us games. The second game in particular, he really outdid himself.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
It always surprises me when people suggest videogame soundtracks are surprisingly good. It's a medium that relies heavily on music as it plays almost all the time, so gives composers a chance to work on soundtracks with an incredible amount of freedom. Japan is especially good for it because of the convergence between the style used in anime and videogames.

Film and TV is a little more restricted in that respect. Often music isn't there for backing but to increase drama at a certain point, therefore it's usually themed, often by a central score.

Nier Automata is unmatched in this aspect.

A game that deserves to be played on its music alone.

I also loved Final Fantasy music, when it was done by Uematsu. Chrono Trigger was good too.

Yennefer’s theme in TW3 is the best theme in that game.
Agreed. That was Yasunori Mitsuda who composed all of Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross and Xenogears. They're all top level soundtracks.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
A great driving tune from Initial D :D