Gaming Video Games With Good Storytelling

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I've just downloaded PSNow to play the original Red Dead Redemption on my PC - looking forward to this have only played the second one.

SirAnderson

Mass Effect Series
Select Assassin Creed games
GodFather 1 and 2 games
Dying Light
GTA V
Sleeping Dogs

Memory is so bad, can't remember all the hundreds of games I've played, but it's all subjective to what people are into.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
So many great games in thread already. I would add Brothers: Tale of Two Sons and Oxenfree, two games that makes gameplay part of how storyline is forming, very fluid progress through storyline and you reveal the characters more by yourself and not through forced dialogues and tons of explanatory text.

Upcoming remaster of first Mafia game is a must. This one gave GTA: San Andreas good run for it's money back in a day and when it comes to storyline, honestly it beats the CJ story almost comfortably.

Last edited:

el3mel

Also Prey, Life is Strange, Mafia 2, Batman Arkham trilogy, Little Nightmare, Max Payne series, Spiderman PS4.

Many games with great stories. I don't think the media suffers from being unable to offer great stories. Dragging and pacing issues can happen but only if the writer didn't have a long enough story. Games shouldn't be closer to movies in terms of stories but rather TV shows that have multiple episodes.

bucky

Warcraft 3: Reign of Chaos

The single player campaign is great. Played it through multiple times.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre

Strong pick. Arthas had some of the best storyline arc in RTS genre to this day.

The cutscene when returns with a talking sword that tells him to murder his father is replayed a lot in my head.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
One of the greatest story telling in video games:

Thomas was alone.

Also, portal 2, TLOU, heart of darkness

Great shout

el3mel

At the start yeah, but after that?
I found it a pretty good story after all, and uncovering the secrets of the world and Aloy was done pretty well. Not the best story ever but it was well written imo.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Red Dead 2, The Last of Us are both story telling masterpieces.

FF6 is probably my fave rpg story.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Both the Red Dead games pull on the heart strings.

The metal hear series was great too but can be a bit confusing at first.

Deery

Dreary
God of War
: Zero Dawn
I can’t wait for the next game..
I liked God of War especially the hieroglyphs at the end where it shows Atreus killing Kratos..

Last edited:

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
Grim Fandango. (can get it on your phone now). Brilliant story, brilliant characters, beautiful artwork.

To the Moon. Nice simple game with great music and quality story.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Anyone mentioned Flashback?

Am loving the story of Thimbleweed Park at the moment too.

Woodzy

I liked God of War especially the heiroglyphs at the end where it shows Atreus killing Kratos, can’t wait for the next game..
This was on my list of games to finish... guess there's no point now

Last edited:

Woodzy

Sorry Woodzy it’s only a small part probably no relevance on the story but I liked it..
Ah I think I understand now, so you mean it's just a vision or something right? No big deal then! All is forgiven.

Just a general rule for thread though, people should be mindful of spoilers in their posts.

Most of the games listed here are going to be extremely popular, so if people haven't played them there's a good chance they might do at some point regardless of their age.

Deery

Dreary
Ah I think I understand now, so you mean it's just a vision or something right? No big deal then! All is forgiven.

Just a general rule for thread though, people should be mindful of spoilers in their posts.

Most of the games listed here are going to be extremely popular, so if people haven't played them there's a good chance they might do at some point regardless of their age.
Yeah, I don’t think it will have any relevance on the next game either just a nice little touch...I will spoiler it..

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Red Dead 2. I didn't care for the game' part too much, but I loved the story!

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I just checked again in case my mind was playing tricks but Deus Ex was legendary and probably still amazing today.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Anyone played Kingdom Come Deliverance? That and Red Dead 2 get a shout out.
Yes! Kingdom Come is superb I loved it, shout out to Valiant Hearts too as someone mentioned there's a bit at the end that proper had me chopping the old onions.

Games this generation with a story that impressed me or had me hooked

God of War
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Red Dead Redemption 2
The Last of Us

SOMA a great creepy sci-fi jaunt that raises questions of what it means to be human, or alive.

Observation - a game where you play as the AI of a stranded space station, great sci fi story.

The Witcher 3.. I'm not sure if the actual Story in this game is all that exceptional but the writing is fantastic, if you know what I mean.

Uncharted 4
Outer Wilds
What Remains of Edith Finch
Detroit Become Human

The Last Guardian - I like this one in particular as it's a story told with very little words, I'm not even sure if there is any dialogue in the game at all.

Bloodborne (I'm not sure whether to add this as the story behind this game is quite deliberately obscure but there's a wealth of story and lore there if you're so inclined to look and put the pieces together)

Older games

Metal Gear Solid 1 & 3
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy IX
Sleeping Dogs
Red Dead Redemption
Assassin's Creed 2
Silent Hill 2

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Deus Ex and System Shock 2. Both had deep lore and a great way to tell the story of the world around you whilst keeping you interested in the main storyline too.
This has been in my Steam backlog for ages, about as long as Planetscape Torment. I really need to get around to it.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Everybody's Buggered Off To The Rapture.
Also a good shout

Reminds me of Firewatch, a game where you keep expecting it to venture into the Supernatural but keeps its feet firmly on the ground.

Edit: I also left Spider-Man PS4 out.of my list it was a brilliant story, the DLC not so much so.

Revan

Assumptionman
RPGs:

Mass Effect Trilogy
The Witcher 2 and The Witcher 3
Star Wars: Knight of the Old Republic and Star Wars: Knight of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Dragon Age: Origins
Planescape: Torment

JRPGs (good but somehow ridiculous):

Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX

Shooters:

Deus Ex
Bioshock
Bioshock Infinite
The Last of Us

Others:

To the Moon
The Walking Dead: Season 1

I think probably my favorites in this aspect would be Planescape: Torment (by far the deepest story in a video game), Bioshock Infinite (best ending ever), To The Moon (extremely emotional and awesome), and The Walking Dead (even more emotional)

JRPGs are more about the entire experience rather than writing, while RPGs I mentioned are as epic as something can get.

Last edited:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Mass Effect Series
Select Assassin Creed games
GodFather 1 and 2 games
Dying Light
GTA V
Sleeping Dogs

Memory is so bad, can't remember all the hundreds of games I've played, but it's all subjective to what people are into.
Mass Effect 1 has a great story... Unfortunately I'd say both sequels properly shit the bed on a story front (but made up for it with gameplay and characters)

Agree with Sleeping Dogs... But then I'm a sucker for East Asian crime /revenge stories... I might be due a replay.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Although lots of these games mentioned do have good story, almost none of them compare to the last of us (original) imo. I haven't played the 2nd one yet

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
At the start yeah, but after that?
It was good. Though honestly, I enjoyed the way the past history was conveyed in brief nuggets and data points more than the story itself, if it makes any sense.
I can’t wait for the next game..
I liked God of War especially the hieroglyphs at the end where it shows Atreus killing Kratos..
Yeah the murals showing the past and the probable future were great and really well done. Plus its a pretty decent story in and of itself

Web of Bissaka

• FF Tactics War of The Lions
  • FF 9
  • FF 7
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Valkyrie Profile Lenneth
  • Valkyrie Profile Covenant of The Plume
  • Suikoden 1
  • Suikoden 2
  • Tactics Ogre The Knight of Lodis
  • Valkyria Chronicles 3
  • Shadow Hearts Covenant

EDIT: and Suikoden 3, can't believe I forgot that gem.

Last edited:

Siorac

RPGs:

Mass Effect Trilogy
The Witcher 2 and The Witcher 3
Star Wars: Knight of the Old Republic and Star Wars: Knight of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Dragon Age: Origins
Planescape: Torment

JRPGs (good but somehow ridiculous):

Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX

Shooters:

Deus Ex
Bioshock
Bioshock Infinite
The Last of Us

Others:

To the Moon
The Walking Dead: Season 1

I think probably my favorites in this aspect would be Planescape: Torment (by far the deepest story in a video game), Bioshock Infinite (best ending ever), To The Moon (extremely emotional and awesome), and The Walking Dead (even more emotional)

JRPGs are more about the entire experience rather than writing, while RPGs I mentioned are as epic as something can get.
Calling Deus Ex a "shooter" hurts my heart.

Baneofthegame

The Last of Us
Horizon Zero Dawn
Bioshock
Bloodborne
Persona 5
Nier Automata
The Witcher 3
Spiderman

The list for rpgs is long as well, I’ve forgotten loads I’m sure and will update it later.

Baneofthegame

• FF Tactics War of The Lions
  • FF 9
  • FF 7
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Valkyrie Profile Lenneth
  • Valkyrie Profile Covenant of The Plume
  • Suikoden 1
  • Suikoden 2
  • Tactics Ogre The Knight of Lodis
  • Valkyria Chronicles 3
  • Shadow Hearts Covenant

EDIT: and Suikoden 3, can't believe I forgot that gem.
Nice list, Legend of Dragoon was great as well.