Television Vikings, The Last Kingdom and similar shows that are better than Game of Thrones

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I'll admit, I thought the two titular shows were just jumping on the bandwagon of Game of Thrones during a time when production companies were just creating anything that had main characters with long hair and leather armour, swinging swords about in the dirt and being general wankers against bigger wankerous antagonists. But it's safe to say that I'm wrong.

The Last Kingdom is one of those shows where everything just seems to click together. The acting is phenomenal - I can't think of a better way to put it. Every single performance in that show is top class. The story seems quite abrupt in places with severe speed ups but since its a frequent occurance you get used to it and because the writing still focuses on the core arcs you don't feel like you've been cheated out of anything. It knows it's focus is the duality within Utrid over his identity and it carries this well throughout a show that loves to introduce fleshed out characters from time to time for, mostly, brief interludes.

Vikings is another great show. The acting goes up and down like the nation's collective wrist and fist whenever Lagertha appears on screen wearing her shield maiden armour, but it doesn't take away from what is a solid telling of the (supposed) history of the great Ragnar and his four sons. The special effects are also the best thing I've seen on TV with fight sequences to match. Some of the moments in the penultimate season feel a bit forced and hammy but it seems to have turned in this final one. I was worried that the show had gone over the deep end after you know what but it's managed tonget itself back on track in its final moments.

Overall, they're two shows that revolve around similar things but they are both uniquely amazing. What say you, Caftards?

Last edited:

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
I stopped watching Vikings after the huge break they had in a recent season, and I just forgot to ever get back into it again when it returned but I really enjoyed it. Never heard of The Last Kingdom but might check it out.

Ollie Derbyshire

I really like The Last Kingdom, didn’t expect it to carry on being so good and I rate it higher than Vikings now which has slipped since you know what. It’s still a good show but not as good for me.

But neither are as good as Game of Thrones in my opinion, they are both a level below.

A show that surprised me was Marco Polo, I thought that was very good as well, along with Kingdom, which was excellent.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Neither are as good as Game of Thrones. GoT shit it self when the source material ran out but for 4 seasons it was one the best shows on TV. 5th season wasn’t too bad either. The rest we’re mediocre to atrocious. Overall, it’s still a great show.

Irwin99

I don't mind the Vikings (both the show and the historical subject) but there seems to be a never ending series of shows about them and i'm just bored now. Why can't they do stuff about the Greeks (or the Romans to a lesser extent).

GOT would probably have been my favorite show ever if the last two seasons hadn't been such abominations.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
I don't mind the Vikings (both the show and the historical subject) but there seems to be a never ending series of shows about them and i'm just bored now. Why can't they do stuff about the Greeks (or the Romans to a lesser extent).

GOT would probably have been my favorite show ever if the last two seasons hadn't been such abominations.
The romans had their trend around a decade ago with shows like Rome and Spartacus. (Both better than the 3 shows mentioned by the OP.)

Irwin99

The romans had their trend around a decade ago with shows like Rome and Spartacus. (Both better than the 3 shows mentioned by the OP.)
Yeah I suppose so, I just wouldn't mind more from a different period of Roman history. I'm bored of Vikings.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
GoT's ending isn't worth the journey.
I really hated the final season but there are far too many great characters, episodes and stories to not make it an excellent journey. The quality was fantastic the majority of the way through, just shat the bed at the end.

Some of the battle scenes are just phenomenal, better than films.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I stopped watching Vikings after the huge break they had in a recent season, and I just forgot to ever get back into it again when it returned but I really enjoyed it. Never heard of The Last Kingdom but might check it out.
That’s exactly what I did with vikings.
The initial few series I thought were excellent and a lot more exciting entertainment than game of thrones

Mystry

Friendship is magic
I gave up on Vikings after the first episode of season 6, dunno if I should bother seeing it out to the end. First few seasons were great though, pleasently surprised as I too thought it was a cash in on the medieval sex and violence boom.

Mark Pawelek

Rome? Realistic portrayal of many aspects of Roman life. Adventures of a Centurian & his most deadly Legionnaire during transition from Julius Ceasar to Mark Anthony's end. Lot's of violence, like The Last Kingdom, but lacks meaning. In Rome the two main characters are almost victims of circumstance and opportunity, as opposed to Alfred and Uhtred in The Last Kingdom who are driven by mission and fate respectively.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Vikings is trash historically and has a lot of average actors with shit dialogues.

Why can't they do stuff about the Greeks (or the Romans to a lesser extent).
There was HBOs Rome. Sadly cancelled after two seasons because the expenses didn't pay off but still best historical series so far for me.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Same with Vikings. Started great, turned shite.
I disagree. The first season wasn't very good. The 2nd, 3rd and 4th (first half) were brilliant and I think I prefer them over any GoT season tbh, although I haven't re-watched the earlier ones.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Black Sails was watchable enough.
Agreed. I'd say it was underrated a bit bc it was on Starz and not HBO. While they obviously took a bunch of creative liberties too - it's pretty awesome to see some of history s most famous pirates and also the involvement of England in the development of the America's portrayed from that perspective. I'd almost say eye opening. Highly recommend if you like the aforementioned shows. It also has a (in my opinion) satisfying conclusion.. Which is rare.

Rome as mentioned before is worth the watch too-even though it was cut short.

Another one I'd like to add is Knightfall. The reviews don't look that great but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Too bad it looks like we won't get a season 3 but each season kind of stands on its own too. I think some of the actors were pretty memorable. And hey.. Mark Hamill as a grumpy badass knight in S2.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I found Vikings a bit dull after season four. Not going to say why for spoilers, of course. Will be sure to check out the Last Kingdom, I've heard good things about it.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Never got into them. I used to love NYPD Blue back in the day.
Fair enough.
For me the two best shows ever. I can’t separate them. GoT would have been there if it hadn’t shat itself.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Speaking of Romans, history, etc. would like to see what HBO or Netflix could do with a series about:
Genghis Khan
The Crusades
Xerxes the Great
Caligula/Nero/et al
Ides of March - Note: not limited to Rome - https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/top-ten-reasons-to-beware-the-ides-of-march-8664107/ plenty of famous incidents/tragedies occurred in this day in history; 1-6 could make for an interesting short series

I'd like to see HBO bring 'Confederate' back to the table. I think this could have been a very interesting take on 'what if.'

led_scholes

Speaking of Romans, history, etc. would like to see what HBO or Netflix could do with a series about:
Genghis Khan
The Crusades
Xerxes the Great
Caligula/Nero/et al
Ides of March - Note: not limited to Rome - https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/top-ten-reasons-to-beware-the-ides-of-march-8664107/ plenty of famous incidents/tragedies occurred in this day in history; 1-6 could make for an interesting short series

I'd like to see HBO bring 'Confederate' back to the table. I think this could have been a very interesting take on 'what if.'
I always felt that Alcibiades was the perfect material. The problem with Greek inspired films, games etc is that they ALWAYS focus on the mythological side with some awful results (esp. Immortals and Wrath of the titans), so a show about Alcibiades or Alexander would be great and different.

I would also love to see a Hannibal series but i fear there are so many things nowadays called Hannibal that it will confuse people.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
With Lost, vikings, sopranos, walking dead, 24 I got within the last series or thereabouts and got bored and never seen the end of any of them.
mad men I got to the end of and was gutted when it was all over and felt like I was missing something

I watched two seasons of billions aswell and enjoyed it but got bored of that also

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Genghis Khan
The Crusades
Xerxes the Great
Caligula/Nero/et al

You might enjoy "Roman Empire" narrated by Sean Bean. It's a documentary but it has a lot of re enacted scenes that make for an interesting watch. I binged each season. Hoping there will be more still.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Vikings season 2/3/4 was brilliant... i'd easily put it up alongside anything that GoT has done. The Paris battle was just as epic as any of the best GoT battles.

Never watched the Last Kingdom, but the Korean show Kingdom (not The Last Kingdom... just Kingdom) is probably the best and closest Game of Throney thing I've watched, in terms of having political intrigue and fantastical elements.

Sylar

GoT at its peak cant be touched by any of those two shows. And its peak is easily 5 of the 6 seasons. And even s5 of GoT had some great moments and one of the best episodes.

TLK has had the best consistency so far (but again TLK has only had 4 seasons and its 4 is lower than GoT 4). Vikings 4 was great too but again lower. Vikings has had a dip imo esp with the Iceland stuff. GoT last two seasons was frustrating and rushed, but still had some great stuff (and some good eps imo)

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The Last Kingdom is class.

Vikings is even better, it's sensational. I was hooked after a few episodes and tore through the seasons until the break recently in about 3 weeks. Unreal show.

Siorac

I enjoyed Vikings at the start but it just petered out a bit for me by season 3, just lost the motivation to keep watching. We might pick it up again at one point though.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
The ending of GoT has certainly tarnished its legacy, but as has been said, the quality of the first four seasons (and also parts of Season five and most of season six) far exceeds any other fantasy/historical epic ever created. The only one I can think of that comes close is Rome, but that was only two seasons.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
It's a documentary but it has a lot of re enacted scenes that make for an interesting watch. I binged each season. Hoping there will be more still.
I literally never saw a documentary with reenactments that was even decent, it's always so cringe. Am I the only one?

Although I don't know how The Last Kingdom is even comparable to Game of Thrones, I couldn't watch past the 1st season. Maybe it somehow got enormously better, but I doubt it. Also, the horrifying lows of GoT's final seasons shouldn't affect the overall greatness of the first ones.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
The ending of GoT has certainly tarnished its legacy, but as has been said, the quality of the first four seasons (and also parts of Season five and most of season six) far exceeds any other fantasy/historical epic ever created. The only one I can think of that comes close is Rome, but that was only two seasons.
Agree. And Rome was mind-blowingly good in terms of its atmosphere and attention to details.