Television Vikings, The Last Kingdom and similar shows that are better than Game of Thrones

Keefy18

I've tried Vikings at least 3 times now and could never get into it.

Found it all very slow, boring and pointless. The story lines you want filling out are brushed over and the filler stuff is expanded on.

If anyone is looking for a proper medieval type show this is what you need to be watching on Netflix.

I mix between Game of Thrones & The Walking dead (with proper zombies akin to Train to Busan). Don't worry the acting is on par with GOT not TWD.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!

Found it all very slow, boring and pointless. The story lines you want filling out are brushed over and the filler stuff is expanded on.

If anyone is looking for a proper medieval type show this is what you need to be watching on Netflix.

I mix between Game of Thrones & The Walking dead (with proper zombies akin to Train to Busan). Don't worry the acting is on par with GOT not TWD.

Feck yeah, great shout! Watched the two seasons of Kingdom recently and absolutely loved it. Far better than some of the garbage mentioned in here.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I literally never saw a documentary with reenactments that was even decent, it's always so cringe. Am I the only one?

Although I don't know how The Last Kingdom is even comparable to Game of Thrones, I couldn't watch past the 1st season. Maybe it somehow got enormously better, but I doubt it. Also, the horrifying lows of GoT's final seasons shouldn't affect the overall greatness of the first ones.
I agree the re enacments on most documentaries are cringey but they are actually pretty good on that one in my opinion. No cheap sfx or poor costumes or acting.

The Last Kingdom - I agree with you S1 isnt that great. I struggled to stick with it until the last part of the season and then giving S2 a shot anyway. It gets a lot better - so I'd suggest sticking with it a little longer, it's definitely one of those shows that needs a little time to get into its own.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Me hearing people talk about how they didn't like Vikings;

Keefy18

Feck yeah, great shout! Watched the two seasons of Kingdom recently and absolutely loved it. Far better than some of the garbage mentioned in here.
Absolutely... Three best shows currently being made to my mind are

Kingdom
Succession
Gomorra

Won't find better scripts, character development and acting anywhere else.

Succession Trailer

Gomorra

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!

Kingdom
Succession
Gomorra

Succession Trailer

Gomorra
You, sir, have a good taste.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
If someone really needs a defeater for GoT then in terms of atmosphere I can only think of one thing. Subtle fantasy elements were also there and it was achieved without CGI dragons.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I agree the re enacments on most documentaries are cringey but they are actually pretty good on that one in my opinion. No cheap sfx or poor costumes or acting.

The Last Kingdom - I agree with you S1 isnt that great. I struggled to stick with it until the last part of the season and then giving S2 a shot anyway. It gets a lot better - so I'd suggest sticking with it a little longer, it's definitely one of those shows that needs a little time to get into its own.
It took me until S2 to get invested in Last Kingdom as well.

I am guessing in terms of new fantasy epics, they might be seriously delayed now? I haven’t read any news lately. The LotR one, Wheel of Time, new GoT series.... I know The Witcher got a green light to start filming, but I don’t think that was hitting until 2021 anyways.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
The last kingdom is great, many people discovered it late.
Like other posters I quit Vikings after some seasons,and not because I didn't like it.
Spartacus was also good, as Kingdom even if It's about zombies.
Looking forward to seeing Outlander

Ollie Derbyshire

Yeah, this show is really good, can’t wait for the next season

Ollie Derbyshire

It took me until S2 to get invested in Last Kingdom as well.

I am guessing in terms of new fantasy epics, they might be seriously delayed now? I haven’t read any news lately. The LotR one, Wheel of Time, new GoT series.... I know The Witcher got a green light to start filming, but I don’t think that was hitting until 2021 anyways.
Have you tried Marco Polo on Netflix? I didn’t bother for ages but it was actually pretty good.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
I read most of the Last Kingdom books by Bernard Cornwell long before I started watching the series and I doubted the series would be that detailed but I think they've done well although obviously missed out a lot of detail and events. I do feel though they casted the series very well and have enjoyed watching but completely pissed off at how slowly the seasons come out.

Handré1990

The Last Kingdom is ace, loved every season of it so far. Vikings I never really rated, but it was sort of entertaining until ya’ll know what. See some posters mention Marco Polo, which I thought was surprisingly good as well. Too bad they didn’t finish Rome as was intended.

Ollie Derbyshire

Kingdom
Succession
Gomorra

Succession Trailer

Gomorra
Haven’t tried Gomorra yet but love the other two shows.
Just finished season 2 of Das Boot which is very good as well

Revan

Assumptionman
Vikings was awful. Had to stop at the end of the first season and I persevered I’m watching the entire Dexter, so I have a lot of patience.

Tarrou

Vikings is hideous

Everyone associated with it should be thoroughly ashamed of what they've done

The Last Kingdom is great though to be fair.

Last edited:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I don't mind the Vikings (both the show and the historical subject) but there seems to be a never ending series of shows about them and i'm just bored now. Why can't they do stuff about the Greeks (or the Romans to a lesser extent).

GOT would probably have been my favorite show ever if the last two seasons hadn't been such abominations.
Have you seen HBO’s Rome? Only 2 seasons but it was fantastic. It’s basically the precursor to HBO for GOT.

Irwin99

Have you seen HBO’s Rome? Only 2 seasons but it was fantastic. It’s basically the precursor to HBO for GOT.
Yes it was really good although I felt they did Mark Antony's famous death scene badly-I've read several accounts that he actually botched his suicide attempt but he actually managed to see Cleopatra one last time before he died. Would have been nice if they'd done it that way.

Rome and Spartacus were kind of set around the same era in that history, so I'd love to see something further back like a series or movie on Hannibal and Scipio. But people seem to be interested more in the vikings which I guess is more closely connected with British history so maybe that's why these shows are more popular.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
It was - until Ragnar died. The sons were awful. I tried my best but the writing changed too
Well yeah not so good after that... But then we're taking GoT comparisons, which wasn't as good in the later seasons either.

In its pomp though, in seasons 2/3/4 it was brilliant

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I really like The Last Kingdom, didn’t expect it to carry on being so good and I rate it higher than Vikings now which has slipped since you know what. It’s still a good show but not as good for me.

But neither are as good as Game of Thrones in my opinion, they are both a level below.

A show that surprised me was Marco Polo, I thought that was very good as well, along with Kingdom, which was excellent.
Agreed. A shame they cancelled it, that too on a cliffhanger. It was a historical show that did a good job of portraying the Mongol culture on TV, something you don't find much is western media.

Ollie Derbyshire

Agreed. A shame they cancelled it, that too on a cliffhanger. It was a historical show that did a good job of portraying the Mongol culture on TV, something you don't find much is western media.
Are man, didn’t know it’d been cancelled.

Keefy18

Haven’t tried Gomorra yet but love the other two shows.
Just finished season 2 of Das Boot which is very good as well
Highly recommend Gomorra.

Can be tricky to find online, but if you have sky I believe they run it.

Sylar

Norseman is a good parody on Vikings.
Although people say Vikings is a parody on Last Kingdom

All are good fun though.