Television Vikings

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
There's new series called Vikings, that just started on History Channel. It's a medieval piece about the famous viking warrior Ragnar Lodbrock and his exploits.

I'm a big fan of historical drama series, and while you can't expect it to have a huge budget like HBO's Rome or something like that, the first episode was solid enough to keep me interested.

Cali Red

I watched it and I'll probably watch another. It wasn't great but pilot shows are often a little slow. The previews for the next episode look pretty good.

Lastwolf

Why did they start off with them speaking in Norse then immediately drop it before the opening credits were done?

I understand why it'd be done in English, but the language change is weird, I think it was mid conversation it just went no subtitles.

I liked it, the pilot, I'll watch more easily, the bit with him seeing Odin right at the start I was like oh damn this is going to be awesome, it dropped off after that but it's still interesting.

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede
It was ok a bit slow but the preview for next week looked good so will give this a real chance. Didn't find any characters likeable or memorable though.

Duafc

Village Lemon
only watched the first one, but plan on watching the rest. Solid enough, I enjoyed it... just very hard not to compare it to Spartacus, which makes most T.V look banal.

Dyslexic Untied

I've seen all but ep08. I haven't decided on what I think yet. It's not as "bad" as Spartacus, but not as cool either. I dislike some of the acting in it, but like the setting, the fighting scenes etc. I think it it's bit weird with the mixing of languages though. Obviously to attract an English speaking audience, but still.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Why did they start off with them speaking in Norse then immediately drop it before the opening credits were done?

I understand why it'd be done in English, but the language change is weird, I think it was mid conversation it just went no subtitles.
Would be a massive undertaking to do a whole season in Norse and about 25 people in the world would be able to understand it. They could probably just make most of the words up and nobody would ever know.

iczster

Lord Sugartits (and worst transfer muppet ever)
I've seen all but ep08. I haven't decided on what I think yet. It's not as "bad" as Spartacus, but not as cool either. I dislike some of the acting in it, but like the setting, the fighting scenes etc. I think it it's bit weird with the mixing of languages though. Obviously to attract an English speaking audience, but still.
What the feck :lol:

Really enjoyed this series and good news it has been commissioned for another. Cant wait.

Revan

Assumptionman
Watched the first season and it was shit with dialogues being even shittier. I doubt that I'll watch the next season.

Hannibal

One of the best TV series ever -
I have seen all the 9 episodes and I would give this 9/10. It's so easy to follow unlike GOT with 1064 characters to follow.

Ragnar Lothbrok >>>>>>> Jon Snow

Revan

Assumptionman
The acting is shit, the dialogues is shit, the directing is shit, how the story advances is shit.

The main story is great though, and Ragnar's bird is hot.

Probably a 5 or 6 out of 10. If there won't be big improvements I am over with it. Shame, cause I liked the historical part of it.

Eirik Raude

Apart from the horrific historical accuracy, the show is ok. It entertains me enough that I bothered watching the entire season. Will probably give season 2 a chance as well.

Lastwolf

I only found out yesterday it was all shot in Ireland, didn't think we had any terrain like that.

I_live_cement

Cat freak
I only found out yesterday it was all shot in Ireland, didn't think we had any terrain like that.
They film Game of Thrones in Northern Ireland as well.

But, for Vikings, some of the background shots with proper mountains were done in Norway, I think.

Eirik Raude

They film Game of Thrones in Northern Ireland as well.

But, for Vikings, some of the background shots with proper mountains were done in Norway, I think.

Are you sure about that? Thought I read somewhere that they wanted to shoot it in Norway, but couldn't because of the costs to get the permits, cost of production in Norway etc.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Anyone still continuing to watch this? I've just finished the 1st season this week and now the 2nd season has started. I think it's brilliant in terms of the action, and the story, though entirely incorrect, is interesting at times. I don't think the acting is all that bad, just a bit shaky at moments. Gabriel Byrne was great in it when he was, such an actor.

Revan

Assumptionman
Anyone still continuing to watch this? I've just finished the 1st season this week and now the 2nd season has started. I think it's brilliant in terms of the action, and the story, though entirely incorrect, is interesting at times. I don't think the acting is all that bad, just a bit shaky at moments. Gabriel Byrne was great in it when he was, such an actor.
My response at the time I watched the first season:

The acting is shit, the dialogues is shit, the directing is shit, how the story advances is shit.

The main story is great though, and Ragnar's bird is hot.

Probably a 5 or 6 out of 10. If there won't be big improvements I am over with it. Shame, cause I liked the historical part of it.
I am not planning to continue watching it. Unless someone says that it has had a big imprevoment from the previous season.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
My response at the time I watched the first season:

I am not planning to continue watching it. Unless someone says that it has had a big imprevoment from the previous season.
What really stuck it to you as poor? Every actor or just a couple that ruined it ? How was the directing poor to you too?

The story basically continues straight on to Rollo betraying his brother, it's as far as I've got. Again, good action but not much development of the story so far.

Revan

Assumptionman
What really stuck it to you as poor? Every actor or just a couple that ruined it ? How was the directing poor to you too?

The story basically continues straight on to Rollo betraying his brother, it's as far as I've got. Again, good action but not much development of the story so far.
I disliked the acting of all actors. And I think that the writing would have made proud even an old George Lucas (not A New Hope George Lucas, I am talking about the Phantom Menace/Attack of The Clones George Lucas). I didn't like directing at all, some things happened so fast and so stupid (like that girl who got sick and died from an epidemy withing a few minutes).

The only part I liked was the action and the world setup.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
It's the acting that needs improving for me, and some of the writing. Can be somewhat cheesy and feel cheap, but maybe that's just in comparison to Game of Thrones which might be unfair due to it's production costs?

Though by the same token, I compare Vikings to Game of Thrones and find it more entertaining and enjoyable, despite acknowledging it's not got the same quality.

Lastwolf

I like that they formed a shield wall, in a testudo formation to defend against arrows which neither side used and then charged, thus entirely defeating the purpose of forming said shield wall.

But Rollo going berserk was cool, so I gave it a pass.

onesaf

Watched the first series last week and have just started season 2, I thought it was very good, some good characters with Floki being my favourite. Ragnars wife is gorgeous.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Watched the first series last week and have just started season 2, I thought it was very good, some good characters with Floki being my favourite. Ragnars wife is gorgeous.

Yeah she is. I'm just over half way through the second season, last episode (6?) was terrific. Would definitely recommend this show to fans of got or Spartacus.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
I recorded it when it was on and started watching it on Sunday - four episodes to go. Really enjoying it, though I watch the battle scenes with my eyes almost shut.

When does Series 2 start?

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
I recorded it when it was on and started watching it on Sunday - four episodes to go. Really enjoying it, though I watch the battle scenes with my eyes almost shut.

When does Series 2 start?
It's already aired on the history channel in America I think. If your in the UK like me and have watched season 1, then season 2 won't be aired over here until next year. I couldn't resist waiting so I watched season 2 online, but it's definitely better than the first.

Kristjan

Retired Dictator
Hearing the actors trying to pronounce their names is the best thing about this poor show, it's a hilarious butchering of the Norse/Icelandic language.

Otherwise I agree with Revan on most accounts.

King_Eric

Just watched both seasons in about a week's time. Loved it. The changing of languages is a bit weird and the acting/directing isn't superb (though not as bad in my opinion as some make it out here), but I just love the characters, the Viking culture and the battle scenes. The season 2 finale was great as well.

Can't wait for season 3.

shabz

I liked this show, season two improved on season one and I feel like it will keep on improving. Good pieces of action and good characters. The acting could be improved on but it is not a big budget production, although as it has been renewed again maybe they will pump some more money into the show hopefully.