Villa - United u18 Premier League Cup

lysglimt

Scout
Villa 1-0 up after 40 minutes - completely against the run of play. Adam Berry first had a miss that should end up on Youtube. Wheatley did brilliantly to set him up. Berry had the entire goal to aim at with the keeper gone, but somehow managed to hit the only Villa-defender standing on the line when he had the whole goal to aim at from 5 yards out. Horrible miss.

United continued to dominate - and then James Nolan decided that Villa were too poor to create anything themselves - so he tried a Cruyff-turn and failed miserable. Villas initial shot was saved well by Wooster but the return was slotted home.

We have looked by far the better side - we just can't create many chances, and when we did get them - we wasted them.

khoazany

I feel Oyedele can easily play for the U21s if not for the sheer number of midfielders we have at that level already. Been our best player. Mather and Berry needs to do more to support Wheatley.

lysglimt

Scout
Wheatley reminds me of Kanu - really good with the ball at his feet....but .. it...is...so...slow when he moves

lysglimt

Scout
Several players who had a good half for us...Aljofree, Lawrence, McAllister and Oyedele were all good

lysglimt

Scout
Wheatley with a decent chance - keeper saves and we get corner number 242 for the day.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
who's the bloody idiot who keeps screaming? Irritating. Some overly-involved parent? Or a coach?

lysglimt

Scout
Williams been good in this 2nd half - but we keep getting corners - and in over 10 corners we have created absolutely nothing

lysglimt

Scout
70 minutes - substitute Moorhouse on for McAllister

lysglimt

Scout
Villa the better side in the last 10 minutes - Wooster with a couple of saves

lysglimt

Scout
2-0 Villa - surely that is game over. Poor defending from Lawrence. Low cross and easy tap-in

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Really looks like this U18 side is going to struggle to score goals this season

Beaucoup

Wheatley scored a sackful of goals for the U16s, however the step up to u18s is massive, it will take time to adjust, I also think Travis Binnions style of football isn’t good for strikers, due to the huge amount of running back they‘re expected to do.

Bigsid

Wheatley scored a sackful of goals for the U16s, however the step up to u18s is massive, it will take time to adjust, I also think Travis Binnions style of football isn’t good for strikers, due to the huge amount of running back they‘re expected to do.
Now the big signings aint in the side like jurado, garnacho, mcneil and hugill be interesting to see how we get on. Seems a bit championship style to me way we play. Physicality will only get the lads so far.

Demaw

Looks a weaker team in general compared to the past few years. Doesn't seem the raw talent as previously. A handful do look excellent and as usual, if these few can get near the first squad then it is a win win. I liked Lawrence at right back until the error. Made some good tackles and passed off quickly. Mather has something that stands out at times, just needs more end product. Oyedele is still up and down to me, not sure yet. Does some great things but then doesn't finish off. I felt McAllister played a bit better the other games this season. Yet, his reading and ability to get out of tight situations is very impressive and you can see why he is getting the big wraps. So much time on the ball. Fingers crossed. I know Berry has also had the wraps and a few amazing Youtube clips but haven't seen a lot yet. He will definitely get better with more games.

Beaucoup: I know somewhere in the system you have a youngster playing in the group?? I apologise if I have spoken about your son if he is playing in this team in a negative way in my post. I've watched 18's for a long long time and really enjoy seeing them progress and make professional.

Demaw

Agree, Wheatley was alone a lot of the time and didn't get the best of support. He worked hard against that big centre back with first team experience. Reminded me of Hugill. I did read that United haven't splurged on overseas kids and the commentator mentioned a lot of local lads.

Beaucoup

Looks a weaker team in general compared to the past few years. Doesn't seem the raw talent as previously. A handful do look excellent and as usual, if these few can get near the first squad then it is a win win. I liked Lawrence at right back until the error. Made some good tackles and passed off quickly. Mather has something that stands out at times, just needs more end product. Oyedele is still up and down to me, not sure yet. Does some great things but then doesn't finish off. I felt McAllister played a bit better the other games this season. Yet, his reading and ability to get out of tight situations is very impressive and you can see why he is getting the big wraps. So much time on the ball. Fingers crossed. I know Berry has also had the wraps and a few amazing Youtube clips but haven't seen a lot yet. He will definitely get better with more games.

Beaucoup: I know somewhere in the system you have a youngster playing in the group?? I apologise if I have spoken about your son if he is playing in this team in a negative way in my post. I've watched 18's for a long long time and really enjoy seeing them progress and make professional.
My lad is no longer at Utd, has a pro elsewhere and is doing really well, so no need to worry with any negative comments. I think they signed too many squad fillers over the last couple of years, I also think a couple will excel and do well, a little like last season. However, It’s not about now, in general the club are looking to fully develop academy players at the age of 20/21 and I know for a fact, the players they have the highest hopes for, don’t get mentioned very often in this forum.

Demaw

My lad is no longer at Utd, has a pro elsewhere and is doing really well, so no need to worry with any negative comments. I think they signed too many squad fillers over the last couple of years, I also think a couple will excel and do well, a little like last season. However, It’s not about now, in general the club are looking to fully develop academy players at the age of 20/21 and I know for a fact, the players they have the highest hopes for, don’t get mentioned very often in this forum.
That's good news, actually great news. I hope in the future you may feel comfortable with telling us who he is and we can follow and cheer him on. I had a mate whose son made it in another sport and it was pretty cool following him every week. Yes, later development is something that we results driven people don't look at. Scotty McT is one for sure.

Beaucoup

That's good news, actually great news. I hope in the future you may feel comfortable with telling us who he is and we can follow and cheer him on. I had a mate whose son made it in another sport and it was pretty cool following him every week. Yes, later development is something that we results driven people don't look at. Scotty McT is one for sure.
It’s not later development, it’s normal development, the Jude Bellinghams of the world are exception’s to the rule. Fan v Coach expectations are completely different, a good example would be from yesterday, Oyedele received praise across social media for his performance against Villa, was he outstanding? or was he playing at a level expected for a 2nd year scholar on a pro contract? On the other hand, Wheatley, who got negative feedback, was making his first full start for the 18s against two physical, experienced defenders. Who do you think got the best coaches feedback?

On a side note, I obviously now follow another academy to the team I support and you won’t be surprised to hear, it’s exactly the same when it comes to young player expectations from the fan base.

khoazany

I definitely agree that the 2nd year should be judged on a higher standard than the 1st year, unless he’s a clearly late developer like Missin. That’s why I have been quite disappointed with Mather so far.

Moorhouse, Berry, Wheatley etc definitely needs times to adapt to the new level.

Sea-Cow

Congrats to your lad and good luck with it continuing.

God I wish I was good at sports. I'm so jealous!