Kick-off
Wed, 26 May 2021 @ 8:00pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Lucky McLuckerson

The saviour of our season (ask Maradona10)

......................VS..........................

Date - Wednesday, May 26 2021
    Kickoff Time - 2000 Hrs BST
    Venue - Stadion Miejski w Gdańsku, Poland

Europa League Form Guide

Manchester United: WWWWL
    Villarreal: WWWWD

Previous Meetings in European competitions

Villarreal 0—0 Manchester United

Manchester United 0—0 Villarreal

Manchester United 0—0 Villarreal

Villarreal 0—0 Manchester United

All-Time Record in European competitions

Manchester United wins: 0
    Villarreal wins: 0
    Draws: 4

Pre-Match Pressers

Ole Gunnar Solskjær

Unai Emery

Team News

Manchester United

Anthony Martial and Phil Jones ruled out. Harry Maguire doubtful.

Villarreal

Vicente Iborra ruled out. Samuel Chukwueze and Juan Foyth doubtful.

Know the opposition

Villarreal Club de Fútbol, S.A.D., usually abbreviated to Villarreal CF or just Villarreal, and nicknamed El Submarí Groguet or El Submarino Amarillo (The Yellow Submarine), is a Spanish professional football club based in Villarreal that plays in La Liga. Villarreal was founded as Club Deportivo Villarreal on 10 March 1923 to promote all sports (and especially Football). The stadium was rented for 60 pesetas a month and ticket prices were set at half a peseta for men and a quarter of a peseta for children. Women were granted free admission. On 21 October of that year, Villarreal played their first game ever, against CD Castellón, a modern rival of the club.

Villarreal entered regional competitions within the Spanish football pyramid from 1929 to 1930 onwards. The 1934–35 season saw the team lose to Cartagena when a win would have seen them promoted to the nationwide Second Division. The following season saw Villarreal win the First Division of the region before the outbreak of the Spanish Civil War. When the war finished in 1939, the club played again in the Second Division of the region. However, CD Villarreal was dissolved in the early 1940s, and in 1942, CA Foghetecaz, an acronym for the club's founders (Font, Gil, Herrero, Teuler, Catalá and Zaragoza), was one of several clubs established in its place. In 1946, the new club joined the Valencian Football Federation and renamed itself as CAF Villarreal, where the F stood for Foghetecaz. The name changed again to the current Villarreal CF in 1954, with a badge similar to the present one.

The club has spent much of its history in the lower divisions of Spanish football, and only made their La Liga debut in 1998. In the 21st century, Villarreal gained some league stability following the rise to prominence of Juan Román Riquelme, Marcos Senna, Juan Pablo Sorín and Diego Forlán (the only Villarreal player to win the Pichichi and European Golden Shoe titles) under Chilean coach Manuel Pellegrini. The club made its first appearance in the UEFA Champions League in 2005 and reached the semi-finals of the competition. The club achieved its best league finish in the 2007/08 campaign, runners-up behind leaders Real Madrid, and made further UEFA Champions League appearances while also appearing in the UEFA Cup and boasting the talents of Bruno Soriano, Diego Godín, Santi Cazorla, Joan Capdevila, Giuseppe Rossi and Joseba Llorente; but sustained relegation in 2012, before quickly rebounding, becoming a stable top division club and and going on to achieve three top-six finishes under Marcelino García Toral. By 2021, under the leadership of Unai Emery, the team reached their first Europa League final.

Villarreal has supported a long rivalry with CD Castellón for geographical reasons, since both are from the province of Castellón; this clash is called the Derbi de La Plana. They also rival Valencia, since the two had been the most competitive teams of the Valencian Community; this clash is called the Derbi de la Comunitat. Villarreal's mascot is called Groguet (coming from the word ‘groc’ which means yellow in Valencian). They play their home games at the Estadio de la Cerámica, formerly and informally called El Madrigal, and originally called Campo de Villarreal.

Referee

Clément Turpin.​

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
    This is it. The moment we've been building towards for 2.5 years. This is Ole's first real test.

el3mel

Bring on the damn trophy.

Hopefully a great night we'll all celebrate together.

I don't think there'll be many surprises in lineup. I want Greenwood to start personally but pretty sure Rashford will. Honestly doesn't seem like Maguire will be fully ready for it, unless we give pain killers or something.

De Gea
    Shaw - Lindelof - Bailly - AWB
    Fred - Scott
    Bruno
    Pogba - Cavani - Rashford

2-1 for us fingers crossed.

Make sure to defend well from fecking set pieces as they will be diving all over the pitch and trying to get fouls.

laughtersassassin

Lots of big calls for Ole. The midfield the winger, Bailly or Tuanzebe?

Personally think Greenwood has to start.

Anyway, no matter the team we field it should be good enough to win. Hopefully, we don't bottle it.

pablo__p

2-0 United

De Gea
    Shaw - Lindelof - Bailly - AWB
    Fred - Scott
    Bruno
    Greenwood - Cavani - Pogba

siw2007

DDG
    AWB Tuanzebe Lindelof Shaw
    McTominay Fred
    Greenwood Bruno Pogba
    Cavani
    Don't see Ole changing too much for this match. Tuanzebe has played himself into the game I think in the likely scenario Maguire isn't fit. Greenwood I think will get in over Rashford on the right. Villarreal have historically been tough opponents for us, they're team looks to have some very good players in it as well as being well drilled by Emery who is a very good manager at this stage. We are bound to concede but must back ourselves.

I'm going for a 2-1 win with a late winner from us.

slored1

The lineup is pretty obvious:

De Gea
    AWB-Lindelof-Tuanzebe-Shaw
    McTominay-Fred
    Rashford-Bruno-Pogba
    Cavani

2-1 United, Bruno pen and Greenwood with a late winner.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
    Team should be...

-----------------------De Gea-----------------------
    AWB----Lindelof----Tuanzebe----Shaw
    -------McTominay-------Fred-------
    Greenwood---Fernandes---Pogba
    -----------------------Cavani-----------------------

Subs: Henderson, Williams, Telles, Bailly, Matic, Mata, VDB, Rashford, James

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
    De Gea

Wan Bissaka
    Lindelof
    Tuanzebe
    Shaw

McTominay
    Fred
    Bruno

Rashford
    Cavani
    Pogba

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
    Scout
    Team should be...

-----------------------De Gea-----------------------
    AWB----Lindelof----Tuanzebe----Shaw
    -------McTominay-------Fred-------
    Greenwood---Fernandes---Pogba
    -----------------------Cavani-----------------------

Subs: Henderson, Williams, Telles, Bailly, Matic, Mata, VDB, Rashford, James
    That's the lineup i'd go with too.

I just don't understand why people are selecting Rashford for the RW. Greenwood every time for me.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
    Supports
    Ajax & United
    Really don't like Pogba coming from the left that much, but it's the only way to shoehorn him in. Rashford and Greenwood deserve to start in my book. Should really win this, no excuses whatsoever.

yamo123x

No way Ole is leaving big time Rashford out...

On current form he should be left out for Greenwood but he won't be

Wolverine

Agreed. Barring injuries, only question in the line up is Bailly vs Tuanzebe

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
    The A team got a rest and let's hope they are fired up for it. One last match, let's make it count!

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
    De Gea
    WB--Bailly--Lindelof--Shaw
    Fred--Mctominah
    Mason--Bruno--Rashford
    Cavani.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
    5 subs allowed in the final yeah ? Thinking 2-0 to United but I think Ole will start a little cautious with McFred, Pogba, Bruno

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
    Gary Neville was saying i think against Fulham that our best attacking play comes when Rashford is on the left. Pogba is not a left winger. Maybe move him into the center, although i would start with Mcfred.

Devil may care

Not sure why but I'm starting to think Ole might take a risk and try to start Pogba, Mason and Rashford. :nervous:

Red_toad

Is Scott going to be fit? I'd imagine Pogba will be playing in a role where the opposition can take advantage of his defensive frailties if he isn't

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
    Is Scott going to be fit? I'd imagine Pogba will be playing in a role where the opposition can take advantage of his defensive frailties if he isn't
    Wouldn't have been on the bench today if he was't fit.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

I think if Greenwood wasn't going to start on Wednesday he'd of started today, of course that same argument could be said about Rashford so do both play on Wednesday? If they do then Pogba's either playing in midfield or it's Pogba who's left out. Pogba in midfield with no Maguire behind him = :nervous:

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
    De Gea
    Bissaka Lindelof Tuanzebe Shaw
    McTominay Fred
    Rashford Bruno Pogba
    Cavani

Greenwood to replace Rashford when Ole realises he is not nearly as effective from the right.

TrustInOle

First time I'm going to be getting out the house for a game in what seems a lifetime! Pub here I come! Hugely excited for this and glad the main squad got a rest today, we should be firing on all cylinders come Wednesday!

RedTiger

Half mast
    Some people still persisting with putting rashford on the right. Stop it! It's not clever and it's not funny.

But yeah, rashford will obviously start. If McFred and Pogba start then unfortunately our Marcus is playing Right.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
    Not sure why but I'm starting to think Ole might take a risk and try to start Pogba, Mason and Rashford. :nervous:

Villareal would stroll through the giant chasms that would leave in midfield.

Solskjaer will be extra cautious and hope the individual brilliance of Bruno or Rashford pays off.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
    Absolutely vital we come home with the trophy. Would be a huge step back if we fail to win. Biggest game in years for the club.

De Gea
    Wan Bissaka Lindelof Tuanzebe Shaw
    McTominay Fred
    Rashford Bruno Pogba
    Cavani
    Greenwood to be an impact sub, possibly Bailly instead of Tuanzebe? Neither fill me with confidence though.

BorisManUtd

Out of our current players, only Pogba, Mata and Rashford started v Ajax in the final 4 years ago (De Gea was on the bench). Think Rashford will start od Wednesday as well, Greenwood coming on at some point in the second half.

Have to say I dont know what to expect, with Maguire I would be confident, without him I'm not as confident obviously.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
    Pogba on the left wing and Rashford on the right wing, does not work.

Put Rashford on the left wing and move Pogba into MF.

Bwuk

I’d play Pogba next to McTominay with Rashford and Mason wide.

lost7

Would love to see this personally. Rashford is a big game player so he has to start and Greenwood has been in great form and deserves to start, too. Pogba/Fred is not the most stable midfield defensively, but then again they've also had some good performances (Sevilla last year for example)

Devil may care

This would be exactly the line up I would want. We might go safe with McFred but I can see Ole trying to get a hold of the game and score early!
    That's the big call Ole has to make, stick or twist.

Villareal would stroll through the giant chasms that would leave in midfield.

Solskjaer will be extra cautious and hope the individual brilliance of Bruno or Rashford pays off.
    Possibly but Villareal will likely play really deep which means we'll see a lot of the ball, I'd be concerned about the counter but Ole might do a Del Boy.

Agree with this line up (under assumption that Maguire is not fit, of course).
    Oh yeah, if Maguire is fit he'll unquestionably start.

Would love to see this personally. Rashford is a big game player so he has to start and Greenwood has been in great form and deserves to start, too. Pogba/Fred is not the most stable midfield defensively, but then again they've also had some good performances (Sevilla last year for example)
    Mason definitely has to start for me, he's in really good form and is by far our best right sided forward.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

5.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 304 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Villarreal win
  • Draw