Villarreal - Manchester United | EL Final Build-up Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
So you agree Solskjaer is under no pressure at all heading into the final? And you’re okay with that?
Yes. We would be bloody stupid if we made such decisions based on one off games. What if he wins it? Is then all great at United because of one trophy? He has been under pressure the whole season. Earlier in the season he only had to lose or draw 2 games in a row and the rumors started.
The whole team should be under pressure to give the club a lift by ending the season in a positive way. Ole will be under this same pressure. But not under the pressure of losing his job. And neither should he be. A well run club evaluates the whole season or at least several months, not just one game.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Ole won't be under much pressure from the board, he's achieved 2 top 4 finishes in a row and seems to be loved by the players.

He'll be under unfair pressure from the media while they praise the likes of Arteta finishing mid-table. Fans on here will put him under pressure because he doesn't coach patterns of play which is why we don't win.

PoTMS

If we bottle this final, Ole will be quite rightly under immense pressure as frankly we should be winning this competition with our eyes closed. We have a Champions League squad and our participation in the competition this season was pretty pathetic in all honesty. A third trophyless season consisting of second place and a EL final defeat is scarce progress from third place and EL semi final defeat the season before. Maybe not sack-worthy but definite grounds for scrutiny. Regardless, I don't think any of the above will happen as I think we'll win it.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
How is this not progress?
Well it’s not regression, for sure, but if we were to lose the final (which is the hypothetical I was replying to first) it’s definitely a sense of deja vu as we’ve been down this road under Solskjaer before where we’ve been strong favourites to win cups yet we completely botch them. If it happens again, serious questions must be asked.

The fact some fans appear willing to give our management/coaching team an indefinite free pass on repeated failings purely on the basis of some arbitrary idea of ‘progress’ is peculiar, hence my initial point. How long can or will this phase last if we have no trophies to show for it? We ridiculed Arsenal under Wenger in the 2010s yet here we are repeating their mistakes and falling for hints of ‘progress’, meanwhile the Citys, the Liverpools and the Chelseas dine out on titles and honours.

A win next week - in a competition we shouldn’t even be in - is absolutely bare minimum and anything less should see huge questions being asked, IMO.

cyberman

Well it’s not regression, for sure, but if we were to lose the final (which is the hypothetical I was replying to first) it’s definitely a sense of deja vu as we’ve been down this road under Solskjaer before where we’ve been strong favourites to win cups yet we completely botch them. If it happens again, serious questions must be asked.

The fact some fans appear willing to give our management/coaching team an indefinite free pass on repeated failings purely on the basis of some arbitrary idea of ‘progress’ is peculiar, hence my initial point. How long can or will this phase last if we have no trophies to show for it? We ridiculed Arsenal under Wenger in the 2010s yet here we are repeating their mistakes and falling for hints of ‘progress’, meanwhile the Citys, the Liverpools and the Chelseas dine out on titles and honours.

A win next week - in a competition we shouldn’t even be in - is absolutely bare minimum and anything less should see huge questions being asked, IMO.
We have to lose the final first!
Im not fussed over the EL but losing to this shower of shit would put him under pressure. Especially with 2 weeks off to prepare before the final (essentially)

Devil may care

The 2 big questions ahead of the game are what do we do if Maguire isn't fit and who starts out of Rashford and Mason. I'm nervous with the Bailly/Lindelof partnership but I think that's what Ole will go with if Maguire isn't fit, I don't see Axel getting the nod and it would be too risky to switch to a back 3. I think Pogba will start off the left so logically Mason should be on the right as he's the best player we have in the position and he's in good form, but I think Ole will bottle it and start Rashford on the right.

El Zoido

The 2 big questions ahead of the game are what do we do if Maguire isn't fit and who starts out of Rashford and Mason. I'm nervous with the Bailly/Lindelof partnership but I think that's what Ole will go with if Maguire isn't fit, I don't see Axel getting the nod and it would be too risky to switch to a back 3. I think Pogba will start off the left so logically Mason should be on the right as he's the best player we have in the position and he's in good form, but I think Ole will bottle it and start Rashford on the right.
I’d say it’ll be the same team that started against Liverpool. That seemed like a trial run, though given the performance I don’t know if he’ll have changed his mind. I think Maguire will start the final, hope he’s not being rushed back but we really need him.

Irwin99

Are Villarreal missing anybody? samuel chukwueze is a big doubt but other than that? We should be beating them regardless really but the Maguire injury is a blow.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Currently pumping the team that knocked us out of the tournament in last years semis :nervous:

copen1945

It is interesting that Villarreal defeated Sevilla 4 0. Hopefully, Solskjaer can inspire the team to the European glory.

always_hoping

With a full strength team Villarreal beat Sevilla 4-0 today. They are in good shape going into this final and will likely rest a number of first choice players for their last La Liga match.

Last edited:

klsv

With a full strength team Villarreal beat Villarreal 4-0 today. They are in good shape going into this final and will likely rest a number of first choice players for their last La Liga match.
So they played themselves, as the youths say?

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
With a full strength team Villarreal beat Villarreal 4-0 today. They are in good shape going into this final and will likely rest a number of first choice players for their last La Liga match.
They're their own worst enemy.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I’d say it’ll be the same team that started against Liverpool. That seemed like a trial run, though given the performance I don’t know if he’ll have changed his mind. I think Maguire will start the final, hope he’s not being rushed back but we really need him.
If Maguire isn’t fit and I don’t expect him to be, it has to be Bailly and Lindelhof. Not happy with it but both will have to pull out big games. If it is that pairing I can see a midfield of McFred to protect it. Pogba alongside and a front 3 of Bruno- Cavani—Rashford. Too safe IMO and takes away the goal threat of Greenwood but I can see it.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
With a full strength team Villarreal beat Sevilla 4-0 today. They are in good shape going into this final and will likely rest a number of first choice players for their last La Liga match.
They played against 10 men for a fair amount of that game.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

La Liga helping them out by moving the 'decisive' games from Sunday to Saturday, so they get an extra day preparation for the final.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

La Liga helping them out by moving the 'decisive' games from Sunday to Saturday, so they get an extra day preparation for the final.
Premier League are more likely to move our game a day closer. cnuts.

This is gonna be a very tough game anyway. People are talking like it’s 90/10 United but in all honestly it’s probably more like 60/40. I expect us to win but I wouldn’t be shocked if we lose. If Maguire is out it’s 50-50. The McFred pivot in front of Bailly & Lindelof. Lord give me strength!

Adcuth

If maguire doesn't make it, could we see Ole going for 3 at the back to sure us up. I'm not sure any pairing we can put together will be good enough

Judas

Open to offers
I'm much more nervous about this than I was a week or so ago. We're not in good form, no Maguire. Hopefully we don't get any further injuries.

It would be such a massive disappointment and kick in the teeth to not win this, it would reframe the entire campaign for me.

united_99

I am also nervous but I would be more nervous if we had won our last few games. This team then thinks they have won the difficult games so they will easily win the “easier” ones. Now at least they know they have work to do.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I'll be happy if we can just get the win at Fulham tomorrow to secure 2nd, then we can focus on the EL Final. Would like to preserve the away record against Wolves if possible but it's about priorities now.

laughtersassassin

If maguire doesn't make it, could we see Ole going for 3 at the back to sure us up. I'm not sure any pairing we can put together will be good enough
Would be a mistake. That move is what cost us the second Leipzig game. The players don't have a clue when we go 5 at the back.

Well that and not starting Pogba.

Adcuth

Would be a mistake. That move is what cost us the second Leipzig game. The players don't have a clue when we go 5 at the back.

Well that and not starting Pogba.
I agree like, just got a bad feeling there will be a knee jerk reaction if Maguire doesn't heal in time. Suppose a lot will depend on how we play on Tuesday too and how confident Ole is

united_99

Yep, here is hoping our plan b for the final without Maguire is better / actually exists than our plan b last summer without Sancho.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
All the pressure is on us. Villareal are massive underdogs and expected to lose, they'll want to show us up.

We will need to start fast and really keep the tempo up, we have seen other leagues can't keep up with the pace of the match when it gets frenetic.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
A few years in the wilderness has made me forget how nervewracking finals can be.

RUCK4444

All the pressure is on us. Villareal are massive underdogs and expected to lose, they'll want to show us up.

We will need to start fast and really keep the tempo up, we have seen other leagues can't keep up with the pace of the match when it gets frenetic.
This. We have to start well and keep the momentum.

We CANNOT afford to dick about and start slowly and p*ss about.

I just hope Maguire is fit, honestly I cannot see us keeping a clean sheet without him. Our CB options are a disgrace.

bosskeano

Nice of La Liga to help out their clubs as opposed to the FA who tries to fvck you over whenever they can like they just recently did....

if Villareal stick to that 442 system and Maguire isn't fit enough to play, that makes me a bit nervous with Bailly and Lindelof having to basically man mark. They both have a tendency to lose focus which in a back four against two strikers could be an issue.

on the flip side, good news though that potentially we may have Martial and James fit for the final. While i know they have been shiit this season, it's better to have attacking options on the bench not named Mata or youngsters like Amad or Elanga.

dove

You guys make it sound like we are gonna play prime Barca or something. Villarreal are a decent side but the one we should be beating quite comfortably.

Bertie Wooster

You guys make it sound like we are gonna play prime Barca or something. Villarreal are a decent side but the one we should be beating quite comfortably.
Dismissive comments like that only work if 'prime Barca' standard was needed to beat us. It isn't. We're nowhere near 'prime Barca' either, so are capable of losing a one off match to a perfectly decent, solid team who are going to finish between 5th and 7th in La Liga - the equivalent positions of either Chelsea or Liverpool, Tottenham, West Ham in the PL.

We're rightly the favourites to win the game. But it's likely to be a tight match decided by a goal or so. I don't see why some posters dismiss and mock any comments that in any way acknowledge that.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
This. Too early to be pessimistic with Martial returning and Maguire so far slowly returning without no mention of any complications.

We still got two league games to rebuild confidence and proper match rhythm without criminally tight schedule.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

My optimism for us winning this is dwindling by the day.

lex talionis

The sense of dread going into cup final possibly without Harry is understandable, but I don’t see in Villarreal a side that can cope at all with Cavani, Rashford, Greenwood and Fernandes leading the attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.