Vincent Kompany gets sculpture and a road named after him by City

0le

Injuries ruined him towards the end of his city career. Strange to name a road after him.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Desperate to do all this now so it saves them ridicule from the younger generations 20 years or so later that grow up oblivious to the fact of what they used to be like.

Seaman

Supports
Barnet
Vidic better player.
Dont be silly. No sane person would say this. Kompany is a legend and a great player. If he was English he would be rated even higher than Rio.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Seems a bit early. Sir Matt Busby Way was Warwick Road North up until about a year before he died and his legend is much bigger.

There are other roads named after City figures around that area, Allison Way, Young Drive and Doyle Lane. Kompany will go down as a bigger figure in the history of football than Neil Young and Mike Doyle for definite, arguably Malcolm Allison too although that one is very much debatable. Still way too early though.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Dont be silly. No sane person would say this. Kompany is a legend and a great player. If he was English he would be rated even higher than Rio.
Maybe only by his mum and dad.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Kompany as City captain: four league titles, four League Cups and one FA Cup (including domestic treble). Was at the club for 11 seasons and captained it for 8 of them.

That would make him a legend at any club in England.
Some clubs would need a lot of Road to facilitate this model

Classical Mechanic

Nonsense. He's never been voted in the FIFPro team of the year by his fellow pros unlike Rio and Vida. He's a local legend only, irrelevant you might say.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho

Green_Red

feckin hell, what did he win, 2 or 3 Prems? What a pack of clowns.

acnumber9

How does a road symbolically connect something? Does the road connect or not? Do you have to get a symbolic train to the first team centre once you get to the end of the symbolic road?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Nonsense. Vidic was better, so was Rio.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Kompany as City captain: four league titles, four League Cups and one FA Cup (including domestic treble). Was at the club for 11 seasons and captained it for 8 of them.

That would make him a legend at any club in England.
Again, not what was implied.

rotherham_red

"The road that symbolically connects the CFA's youth and community pitches with our First Team Centre has been renamed ‘Vincent Kompany Crescent’."

Because Kompany is a symbol of their outstanding youth setup? Think that road should be called Sancho cul-de-sac or something similar.
Well played, very apt :lol:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I don't know why people are judging their history by our standard. He was the captain for the most successful period in their history. I don't see what is wrong with what they have done.

ExecutionerWasp001

Rio read the game well but can we stop this nonsense about tackling being a sign of not being able to read the game? It's absolute nonsense.
No defender is perfect & they will all have to make a lunging tackle or 2 throughout their careers. The lunging tackle was a regular feature of Kompany's play though & he was lucky not to have received more red cards during his time at City. Phil Jones (when playing) regularly makes last ditch lunging tackles. I think most of us put this down to a poor reading of the game rather than good defending.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
The road should also have a warning sign that says : "Be careful of the shining forehead, wear black sunglasses whenever possible" a few metres away from the sculpture.

Safety is most important.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Unsure why people think he doesn't deserve it. He's an incredibly good Captain and leader. He's a great person as well, completely embraced the club and the City, has done loads for local charities. He signed before the Sheikh as well and was their captain for their most successful stint in their history as well as scoring a key goal last season.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Are you taking the piss? I could ask 100 fans and 99 would say Vidic and Ferdinand are miles better. Kompany only actually had a couple of world class seasons and even then always had mistakes in him. Good player but if you think hes better than Vidic then you are hugely overrating him.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I suppose when your other options for a sculpture are mike summerbee, Richard Dunne or Niall Quinn then it makes sense.

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
I don't know why people are judging their history by our standard. He was the captain for the most successful period in their history. I don't see what is wrong with what they have done.
Exactly. I know people mock City's history on here and obviously it's quite understandable, even if childish, but in this case this is actually the point. Having won the league 6 times in their entire history, and Kompany being the captain of it in four occasions. Of course he's a fecking legend.

Coxy

I've never understood why they use the whole name on things like this - just call it the 'Kompany Crescent' sounds much better.

If the person is a big enough legend (which is the point) then you only need the surname.

Wheato

It's not a sculpture, it's a mosaic. Not a very good one considering the cash that Al Mubarak has falling out of his pockets. I think Kompany was feeling a little unloved over in Belgium, so wanted to come back and get his ego polished for a few days. My only comment on the whole testimonial is wow RVP is some player. Scholes too.

Varun

Staff
He is a City legend so no real surprise they're doing this for him. Problem is, once you start doing it for A kompany, what about Aguero and Silva? It'll be a bit difficult to make statues for all of them

Bollocks :lol:

Chipper

Adulterer.
I've never understood why they use the whole name on things like this - just call it the 'Kompany Crescent' sounds much better.

If the person is a big enough legend (which is the point) then you only need the surname.
They did only do last names for the other roads round there named after City legends. Not sure why they'd change that for him, especially as he's more well known than some of the others.

Hughes35

City and PL legend without a doubt. Not as good as some like Rio & Terry but defo in the conversation with some of the other greats.

I do find naming a road and stuff after him very strange though. It means they also don't really have a choice but to have Aguero Street, David Silva avenue with Fernandinho Way + In a few years they will have Sterling Cul de Sac + Some others.

The place could be littered with statues if they carry on like this.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
As long as they still have a Bell End, I'm not arsed what they do to seem like a prestigious club.