Vincent Kompany gets sculpture and a road named after him by City

How does a road symbolically connect something? Does the road connect or not? Do you have to get a symbolic train to the first team centre once you get to the end of the symbolic road?
It's a literal road, but also a symbolic pathway from the youth to the first team.

Must still be under contruction, mind.

Coxy

They did only do last names for the other roads round there named after City legends. Not sure why they'd change that for him, especially as he's more well known than some of the others.
But its the same for us - Sir Alex Ferguson Stand. Sod that, just call it Ferguson Stand. Sounds much better with just the surnames imo. Everyone knows who it refers to...

LFCKop

Supports
Liverpool
I am sure after reading this news, Yaya Toure will not be happy. He got no cake, no road or no sculpture. And off course he and his agent will blame it on Pep.

Chipper

Adulterer.
But its the same for us - Sir Alex Ferguson Stand. Sod that, just call it Ferguson Stand. Sounds much better with just the surnames imo. Everyone knows who it refers to...
I think the "Sir" gives it a bit of extra gravitas to be fair, and then you can't really put that on without doing the full name! Although I do agree in general, the Ferguson stand and Busby Way would be fine as everyone knows who they are and the names would speak for themselves.

My post was more about the inconsistency with City. Allison Way, Doyle Lane then Vincent Kompany Crescent instead of just Kompany Crescent. Not sure why they'd change up what seemed to be a already recognised pattern of naming-conventions for him, particularly as just the last name is perfectly ok anyway.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
It's not a sculpture, it's a mosaic. Not a very good one considering the cash that Al Mubarak has falling out of his pockets. I think Kompany was feeling a little unloved over in Belgium, so wanted to come back and get his ego polished for a few days. My only comment on the whole testimonial is wow RVP is some player. Scholes too.
The sculpture hasn't been done yet. They've given mosaics to a few players

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
The sculpture hasn't been done yet. They've given mosaics to a few players

Incidentally, I read yesterday that Toure's has apparently already being taken down.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
You're both right. Kompany is a legend, but city want recognisable icons of the game who are city legends.

They want the Giggs, scholes, Henry's, Bergkamps, Gerrard's etc.

Those clubs actually mean something though, City don't.
They've built one of the best squads the premier league has seen. They have one of the best youth academies in the nation. Quit being bitter. Kompany will be remembered as one of the PL greats.

Based Adnan

Kompany as City captain: four league titles, four League Cups and one FA Cup (including domestic treble). Was at the club for 11 seasons and captained it for 8 of them.

That would make him a legend at any club in England.
Big difference between being a legend and having a statue/road named after you. The latter is for the elite of the elite and Kompany doesn't really qualify for that imo.

Classical Mechanic

He made 37, 28, 17 & 17 Premier League appearances in their title winning seasons and didn't even threaten the Champions League in his time there. Three seasons of doing Phil Jones numbers! Definition of a discount legend.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Not at all.

When I achieve my life-long goal of owning a private island, I'll name it 'The Land of SAF' in honour of the great man.

My pet rat will be named Vincent, of course.
In reply to 'Sir Matt Busby Way' you said you're talking about SAF. They're 2 different people :lol:

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
They've built one of the best squads the premier league has seen. They have one of the best youth academies in the nation. Quit being bitter. Kompany will be remembered as one of the PL greats.
Firstly it's not bitterness in the slightest.

United, Liverpool, Arsenal and to a lesser extent even Chelsea actually mean something in this league and English football as a whole. Being an icon at those clubs has more weight than being an icon at city. It's that simple.

No one's denying Kompany is a legend, and one of the best to grace the premier League. But they're using him to reach that iconic status, and they're simply not there yet.

Green_Red

Leading a club with no history to a burst of 4 premier league trophies. What do you want them to do?
They should build a statue of the owner stood next to a pile of money, is that what you mean?

Matst1

That's really working out for them isnt it :lol:

mwake

Supports
Liverpool
Thanks for posting the Terraccota army picture! That's a mouthful of my lunch on the work computer screen with that picture. Yeah City are going to be making a lot of statues the way they keep going... I guess a good pub/bar name would be "Great Kompany".

Hes done a lot for City and admit he is a class defender but as a bitter Liverpool fan I still cant shake that feeling about City that most of their players including Kompany joined them for money reasons more than anything else. Thats why it was good for them to have got Pep becasue at least it somewhat deflects from that money narrative and players can at least say they want to play under Pep. C'mon what player came to city saying they had a life long desire to play under Pelligrini?

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Firstly it's not bitterness in the slightest.

United, Liverpool, Arsenal and to a lesser extent even Chelsea actually mean something in this league and English football as a whole. Being an icon at those clubs has more weight than being an icon at city. It's that simple.

No one's denying Kompany is a legend, and one of the best to grace the premier League. But they're using him to reach that iconic status, and they're simply not there yet.
Like I said, he has been captaining one of the most dominant sides this league has ever seen. It might mean nothing right now but surely in 5-10 years down the line his run will mean a lot. Also, if City keep doing what they haven been the club will start meaning more to global football fans as well

Andrew Wolf

Supports
Manchester City
Thanks for posting the Terraccota army picture! That's a mouthful of my lunch on the work computer screen with that picture. Yeah City are going to be making a lot of statues the way they keep going... I guess a good pub/bar name would be "Great Kompany".

Hes done a lot for City and admit he is a class defender but as a bitter Liverpool fan I still cant shake that feeling about City that most of their players including Kompany joined them for money reasons more than anything else. Thats why it was good for them to have got Pep becasue at least it somewhat deflects from that money narrative and players can at least say they want to play under Pep. C'mon what player came to city saying they had a life long desire to play under Pelligrini?
Not like a Liverpool fan to make ill informed quotes is it?

Kompany arrived at City before the takeover.

This whole thread is a cesspit of lies and downright bitterness.

fergiesarmy1

Played a key part in two titles and a bit part in the other 2 while playing for a team who have broken more rules than anyone, paid double bubble to managers and spend way above their legitimate means year after year making a whole show about someone whose played 265 premier league games whilst your on a united forum. What do you want sycophants?

Chipper

Adulterer.

To be fair Shinawatra injected a fair bit of money too didn't he? You went on a spending spree signing Robinho, Jo, De Jong, Bellamy, Bridge, Wright-Phillips, Given, Zabaleta and Ben Haim in the same season as Kompany. There was quite a lot of cash floating around, certainly in transfer fees. Can't say I'm privy to the figures but I'd imagine in wages too.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.

I'd say it was more inaccuracies than lies. City still spent in excess of £120 million in the summer of 2008, with Kompany being just one of 11 new signings. Fair do's though, at £6 million he certainly turned out to be value for money. But I'd say the bitterness is generally emanating from people like yourself. You simply don't get why Manchester United & Liverpool supporters are laughing & ridiculing the fact that your club has gone slightly OTT in recognizing a player who's achievements in the game are dwarfed by numerous ex players from the 2 clubs mentioned above, & yet they hardly get a mention let alone having a statue put up & a road named after them. I mean - correct me if I'm wrong - but Kompany never actually played in a CL semi final did he, let alone win the bloody thing ?

Your club seems to be in a bit of rush to have some sort of recognized history, & your fans seem a bit bitter & twisted that clubs that do have a genuine successful past, both at home & abroad, tend to grab more limelight than yours. Maybe if City's owners fall in line with everyone else regarding spending then it's possible supporters from other clubs, & the media outlets, might begin to show you more respect & admiration. Until that happens though you can expect nothing but indifference, ridicule, & criticism.

Jimmy_Bond

Look forward to their saviour unveiling the "Yaya Torture Chamber" in Abu Dhabi.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
Like I said, he has been captaining one of the most dominant sides this league has ever seen. It might mean nothing right now but surely in 5-10 years down the line his run will mean a lot. Also, if City keep doing what they haven been the club will start meaning more to global football fans as well
Sure, but they're not there now, are they?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Dont be silly. No sane person would say this. Kompany is a legend and a great player. If he was English he would be rated even higher than Rio.
No he wouldn’t

fergiesarmy1

Teams that don't have a history (of winning) shouldn't try and build on making one? From having won nothing for years they are a dominant force
Wouldn’t be surprised if they paid sky to cover that propaganda show.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
Teams that don't have a history (of winning) shouldn't try and build on making one? From having won nothing for years they are a dominant force
Didn't say they shouldn't, just said exactly what they're doing. Not sure how you came to conclusion of that making me bitter but here we are.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Meh, I'm not gonna hate, he was a good player and seemed like a good guy. Cool I guess.

It's bitter to hate on something like this. It's something the scousers and City fans would do. Honestly, I don't mind Kompany. It's a shame he didn't play on the other side of Manchester, he could have been a footballing legend. Being a legend for City will always have an asterisk next to it when it comes to being a true football legend. Similar to PSG.

Dont be silly. No sane person would say this. Kompany is a legend and a great player. If he was English he would be rated even higher than Rio.
I disagree. Kompany was a better footballer than Vidic, but as a centre back and leader, Vidic blew him out of the water. Ferdinand was overall a superior player to Kompany.

Ferdinand and Vidic didn't lose a large chunk of their prime years to injury either. Sure, they went down with injuries in the twilight of their career, but their prime years they were very reliable. You can't say the same for Kompany.

I do really rate Kompany btw, I just think Vidic and Ferdinand were better CB's.

Last edited:

Seaman

Supports
Barnet
Are you taking the piss? I could ask 100 fans and 99 would say Vidic and Ferdinand are miles better. Kompany only actually had a couple of world class seasons and even then always had mistakes in him. Good player but if you think hes better than Vidic then you are hugely overrating him.
I would bet good money vast majority of neutrals would rate Kompany higher than Vidic. Im neutral so I dont have blinkered man utd optics.

Last edited by a moderator: