Vincent Kompany gets sculpture and a road named after him by City

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I hope Vincent's sculpture is better than most of the recent ones.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
"The road that symbolically connects the CFA's youth and community pitches with our First Team Centre has been renamed ‘Vincent Kompany Crescent’."

Because Kompany is a symbol of their outstanding youth setup? Think that road should be called Sancho cul-de-sac or something similar.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
He was a top player but let him get out the door ffs.

It really might as well say Est. 2008 on their badge.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Looks like they've opened a pub in his honour.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He is literally the definition of a modern legend in football terms.
I meant more that they’re desperate to act like other big clubs with statues, roads named after them and the like. He doesn’t quite hit the mark for that in my opinion.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Well, it’s better than the Joe Hart training pitch or whatever it was...

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
:lol::lol:

I suppose it’s an upgrade from the only other previous legend they had in Richard Dunne.

Next up naming a stand after Mendy.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
They’re desperate to have modern legends like other clubs
He is literally the definition of a modern legend in football terms.
You're both right. Kompany is a legend, but city want recognisable icons of the game who are city legends.

They want the Giggs, scholes, Henry's, Bergkamps, Gerrard's etc.

Those clubs actually mean something though, City don't.

Davicho

Carrick, Scholes, Giggs, Butt, Van Persie, Gary and Phill Neville are playing today in his testimonial. Will be very interesting. Also he is injured and is not playing in his own testimonial :lol:

Last edited:

fergiesarmy1

Does seem over the top, if we did this for players with his amount of games for united and trophies we’d have to build a few roads.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
They're trying to build history quickly. They've just done more for Kompany barely a year after he left than we've done for Cantina 20 odd years after he retired.

Classical Mechanic

"The road that symbolically connects the CFA's youth and community pitches with our First Team Centre has been renamed ‘Vincent Kompany Crescent’."

Because Kompany is a symbol of their outstanding youth setup? Think that road should be called Sancho cul-de-sac or something similar.
Five Minute Foden Road.

Deery

Dreary
He was a good player but that’s completely over the top isn’t it..

fergiesarmy1

This guy must be taking the piss on blue moon

One poster

Premier league all stars have brought sod all travelling fans

Won’t be talked about in the press tomorrow, of course

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
When Aguero retires, do you think they will name their stadium after him?

ExecutionerWasp001

Carrick, Scholes, Giggs, Butt, Van Persie, Gary and Phill Neville are playing today in his testimonial. Will be very interesting. Also he is injured and is not playing in his own testimonial :lol:
The soft arse could surely have took the field for a small cameo. Andy Cole played in the recent legends game & he's recovering from a kidney transplant.

Have they ever had similar tributes for other club legends like Goater, Shaun Wright Phillips, Keith Curle.

stu_1992

Jesus great player and all, but this seems a bit drastic. He deserves a huge place in city history of course, but like was he really good enough to justify all this? A statue? Already? Alright...

Also agrees with an earlier point that if they were to name the road between the youth training pitches and senior pitches after someone, they'd be better off doing it for someone who came through at the club.

Irrational.

I wonder who was the last City player to have a statue/ road named after him.

I can imagine David Silva and Aguero will get the same.

Nothing prior to '08. :lol:

ExecutionerWasp001

I wonder who was the last City player to have a statue/ road named after him.

I can imagine David Silva and Aguero will get the same.
Going off there previous innovations with Tunnel Cam & the mash up kit i thought they'd wait until all 3 & Pep had left & then build a Mount Rushmore type monstrosity.

Vidic better player.

No comparison to a prime Rio for me. Kompany get's a lot of credit for his lunging tackles. You very rarely saw Rio do this as he read the game so well.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Going off there previous innovations with Tunnel Cam & the mash up kit i thought they'd wait until all 3 & Pep had left & then build a Mount Rushmore type monstrosity.

No comparison to a prime Rio for me. Kompany get's a lot of credit for his lunging tackles. You very rarely saw Rio do this as he read the game so well.
Rio read the game well but can we stop this nonsense about tackling being a sign of not being able to read the game? It's absolute nonsense.

RochaRoja

I meant more that they’re desperate to act like other big clubs with statues, roads named after them and the like. He doesn’t quite hit the mark for that in my opinion.
Kompany as City captain: four league titles, four League Cups and one FA Cup (including domestic treble). Was at the club for 11 seasons and captained it for 8 of them.

That would make him a legend at any club in England.