Vincent Kompany: Man City quadruple a matter of time | Next year?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
The same 4 other premier league clubs that are also in the CL round of 16 for the 1st time since....god knows when.

So your saying the PL is average, but the CL with the same clubs progressing as group stage winners, isn’t the same average for those clubs?

Hmmmm.

I doubt city will win it. Unless we have an almighty good rest of season with no more serious, crucial, long term injuries.
Getting through the group stages isn't that hard, granted Spurs done very well. When its gets to the semi finals then we'll see who are the top quality sides.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Getting through the group stages isn't that hard, granted Spurs done very well. When its gets to the semi finals then we'll see who are the top quality sides.
This I agree with 100%.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Their record is not similar, depend on how they manage the quality of the club. Jose has managed Porto and Inter Milian, he won the champions league with them, they were never favourite at the first. Pep has managed the Barcelona, they were one of the best team in the world at that time and took over Bayern Munich (the UCL champions) but Pep failed to deliver UCL trophies in 3 years at Bayern Munich.

Jose like to win the trophies even if they have to grind out a result, the trophy is more important to Jose than Pep.
Mourinho couldn't win the CL with Real Madrid despite having players like Ronaldo, Benzema, Higuain, Di Maria, Ozil, Modric, Xabi Alonso, Ramos, Marcelo, Casillas etc... they have won 3 out of 4 CL since he left.

Mourinho couldn't win the CL with Chelsea in his first stint despite having one of the best teams in the world with Drogba, Lampard, Terry, Cech, Robben, Ballack, Makelele, Essien, Cole, etc... Avram Grant came closer in 2008 than Mourinho ever did with Chelsea.

As for Jose winning CL trophies with unfancied sides: Benitez won the CL with Liverpool who were nowhere near the best team in the world in 2005. He did it by beating a stacked Juventus, Mourinho's stacked Chelsea, and a stacked AC Milan on the way.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Mourinho couldn't win the CL with Real Madrid despite having players like Ronaldo, Benzema, Higuain, Di Maria, Ozil, Modric, Xabi Alonso, Ramos, Marcelo, Casillas etc... they have won 3 out of 4 CL since he left.

Mourinho couldn't win the CL with Chelsea in his first stint despite having one of the best teams in the world with Drogba, Lampard, Terry, Cech, Robben, Ballack, Makelele, Essien, Cole, etc... Avram Grant came closer in 2008 than Mourinho ever did with Chelsea.

As for Jose winning CL trophies with unfancied sides: Benitez won the CL with Liverpool who were nowhere near the best team in the world in 2005. He did it by beating a stacked Juventus, Mourinho's stacked Chelsea, and a stacked AC Milan on the way.
Does this mean the GoaT is managing Newcastle? Great post btw.

Josep Dowling

Bit of a ridiculous post. Sir Alex only won it twice. Even the mighty Pep has only won it twice and got no where near with a Bayern team that steamrolled it in 2013.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Bit of a ridiculous post. Sir Alex only won it twice. Even the mighty Pep has only won it twice and got no where near with a Bayern team that steamrolled it in 2013.
You kind of agree with what I'm saying.

It's very difficult to win a European Cup, you need luck to go your way. Jose couldn't win one with Chelsea or Real Madrid, but no one suggests that Jose's time at those clubs was a failure. Pep won 3 consecutive doubles at Bayern, and he was very unlucky in the 2016 semifinal, and yet we have some people holding Pep's time at Bayern against him.

Josep Dowling

You kind of agree with what I'm saying.

It's very difficult to win a European Cup, you need luck to go your way. Jose couldn't win one with Chelsea or Real Madrid, but no one suggests that Jose's time at those clubs was a failure. Pep won 3 consecutive doubles at Bayern, and he was very unlucky in the 2016 semifinal, and yet we have some people holding Pep's time at Bayern against him.
Fair enough, I only saw your one post. To win knock out tournament there is normally a nice slice of luck along the way at some point.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
I don't decide I just refuse to believe.
I've no doubt that there are some opposition fans who might be on here pretending to be United fans but I think a lot of these people who are perceived to overly praise City are actually United fans. It's just that they don't have the same level of partisanship that you or I have towards each other's respective clubs. To that end, we both think it's quite strange to see these types of posts but I've no doubt that the poster you quoted is a United fan.

Ban

I've no doubt that there are some opposition fans who might be on here pretending to be United fans but I think a lot of these people who are perceived to overly praise City are actually United fans. It's just that they don't have the same level of partisanship that you or I have towards each other's respective clubs. To that end, we both think it's quite strange to see these types of posts but I've no doubt that the poster you quoted is a United fan.
Yeah, no doubt. Just as you said its just strange.

AkaAkuma&

City are the only team not to have lost any matches this season at all in the whole of Europe, be it the League, Cups or CL. And already at the mid point of the season and they have more points than the likes of PSG(in that farmer league), Barcelona, Real Madrid, Juventus, Munich, in short any top European team. So City doing one over United by winning the quadruple may not be a far fetch dream after all. They have already won the PL(no one is catching them), the FA and League Cup is good as theirs(because no team in England have come close to beating them), only in the CL can they be stopped.

Litch

PL is not the barometer but must say it could happen as Barca, Real, Bayern, Juv are all beatable and no way as strong as previous seasons. That said, they have players that will ask questions of that city defence, and technically the ability to keep the ball regardless of their pressing football. Also there is PSG who have equal if not more ability than the city team.

Decomposing In Paris

They won on penalties against Leicester & Wolves... I'd hardly say no one has come close to beating them.

City are the only team not to have lost any matches this season at all in the whole of Europe, be it the League, Cups or CL. And already at the mid point of the season and they have more points than the likes of PSG(in that farmer league), Barcelona, Real Madrid, Juventus, Munich, in short any top European team. So City doing one over United by winning the quadruple may not be a far fetch dream after all. They have already won the PL(no one is catching them), the FA and League Cup is good as theirs(because no team in England have come close to beating them), only in the CL can they be stopped.

AkaAkuma&

They won on penalties against Leicester & Wolves... I'd hardly say no one has come close to beating them.
But they are unbeaten domestically right. And they look good for the league and the league cup, so only in FA cup one can hope that they get beaten by someone otherwise the way they are going, it could all be theirs. And I don't want City to win it all, we would never ever hear the end of it, I would rather listen to nails scratching a chalkboard as long as I live than that.

El Zoido

You have to imagine they’ll hit some bad form at some point in the season, but it does look like they could do it.

Treble

They have won nothing yet.

Guardiola will field youngsters vs Bristol and they may fail to reach the final. If they make the final, they will play Arsenal/Chelsea and the latter will play with their best players. Everything can happen. Then they might draw very difficult teams in the FA cup and the CL, like Liverpool away or PSG/Madrid/Barca and fail. Even Burnley at home isn't easy by any means.

Guardiola doesn't seem to believe that they can do it, otherwise he wouldn't have played kids after Leicester subbed in Mahrez, Vardy and Gray. Think they are focused on the PL and the CL and everything else is just a bonus. Even to win the double will be extremely difficult.

That said, the fear that they could win everything is going to grow with every successful game. The chance to win the quadruple is likely to be alive come February.

Last edited:

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
They have won nothing yet.

Guardiola will field youngsters vs Bristol and they may fail to reach the final. If they make the final, they will play Arsenal/Chelsea and the latter will play with their best players. Everything can happen. Then they might draw very difficult teams in the FA cup and the CL, like Liverpool away or PSG/Madrid/Barca and fail. Even Burnley at home isn't easy by any means.

Guardiola doesn't seem to believe that they can do it, otherwise he wouldn't have played kids after Leicester subbed in Mahrez, Vardy and Gray. Think they are focused on the PL and the CL and everything else is just a bonus. Even to win the double will be extremely difficult.

That said, the fear that they could win everything is going to grow with every successful game. The chance to win the quadruple is likely to be alive come February.
I agree. There's loads of potential pitfalls and talk of a quadruple is ludicrous at this stage.

Decomposing In Paris

But they are unbeaten domestically right. And they look good for the league and the league cup, so only in FA cup one can hope that they get beaten by someone otherwise the way they are going, it could all be theirs. And I don't want City to win it all, we would never ever hear the end of it, I would rather listen to nails scratching a chalkboard as long as I live than that.
You can't be watching football with that much trepidation. Yeah, IF they win the quadruple, we'll never hear the end of it from them... but first off, that's a big "if". My point was that this is a team who win even when they draw (penalties), have scored winners twice in the 97th minute (with 6 minutes added on) and "thrashed" ourselves and Chelsea 2-1 & 1-0 respectively... they are an excellent team, but there will be games where things won't all go to plan, and that's even if they continue to avoid injuries/suspensions to their most influential players. If they win it they'll rightly be lauded as an amazing team built entirely with state-sponsored oil money. You though, seem to be talking as though the domestic treble is a foregone conclusion, & the Champions League might happen too... Wise up.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Think they will come real close to this.
  • They already have premier league done in december
  • They are favourites for Champions league, with the draw they really have a great chance as 2 of PSG, Barca, Chelsea, Madrid will be out. With the draws they are getting they will probably end up facing Besiktas in the final.
  • Carbao cup is as good as done for them, they already have beaten both teams easily and i dont see either of arsenal/Chelsea taking it seriously enough to field a full team
  • F.a. cup will be the most difficult for them as they will have many games and unless they buy more players they will have to rest players and will need luck, but maybe it is their year and they luck out with that too.
So Kompany's vision will finally come true, after a billion pounds spent the oil backed country will win the champions league.

Ban

FA cup is as good as theirs? How did you work that one up?

Decomposing In Paris

FA cup is as good as theirs? How did you work that one up?
Think he's assuming the principle that if nobody has beaten them, that they can't be beaten, and if they can't be beaten, then obviously they will win every game, and thus every trophy... it feels disingenuous to play the remaining fixtures, lets just take a break and see everyone in August when we can give them the community shield and next season's quadruple too.

Kops 'n' Robertsons

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
City are 33/1 to win the lot, which I don't see happening.

League: Most likely will win.
League Cup: Good chance, though if they get to the final they face a side who's best chance of a trophy is that game.
FA Cup: shocks happen all the time, nothing to stop them being drawn away to Spurs, Utd etc. in the early rounds - eg. there's a Mersey Derby in round 3!
CL: They have a moderate chance, don't make them favourites at all, would have them behind the winners of PSG/Real, Barca/Chelsea and Bayern. A Manchester derby in the QF would be tasty and a 50/50.

I think 33/1 is too short to be honest, I really doubt they would pass every obstacle in their path.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
City are 33/1 to win the lot, which I don't see happening.

League: Most likely will win.
League Cup: Good chance, though if they get to the final they face a side who's best chance of a trophy is that game.
FA Cup: shocks happen all the time, nothing to stop them being drawn away to Spurs, Utd etc. in the early rounds - eg. there's a Mersey Derby in round 3!
CL: They have a moderate chance, don't make them favourites at all, would have them behind the winners of PSG/Real, Barca/Chelsea and Bayern. A Manchester derby in the QF would be tasty and a 50/50.

I think 33/1 is too short to be honest, I really doubt they would pass every obstacle in their path.

yeah 33/1 is far to short, you'd get better odds backing them at

6/4 for the LC
4/1 for FA Cup
3/1 for the CL

in a treble

I honestly think we may become unstuck against Burnley in the FA Cup, they're not going to rest anyone, we possibly will before the Semi with BC and then play 'pool the week after.

I'm not a bookie but I'd want at least 100/s to tempt me with a 5er and even then I'd probably pass, we won't win everything, I'd be more than happy at the end of this season with the League and League Cup and at least the Semi's in the CL, that for me is what could be described as a decent season, anything more silverware after that and were into great season territory.

invisibleman

Supports
Manchester City
City played with their 2nd string and kids against Leicester, whilst Leicester brought their "big guns" out. Having said that, I don't like this talk about a quadruple at all.

gibers

Won't happen. They will need to be extremely fortunate with injuries or strengthen massively in Jan.

Steven_Seagull

Supports
Manchester City
No chance we do the quad. I actually think it will just be the PL we end up with.

I'd expect us to meet Chelsea in the LC final. Conte has said the leagues gone so he'll be concentrating on the cups. He will be desperate to beat us having been (mostly) without Morata, & Hazard not match fit in the game at the Bridge.

All the other big 6 teams will be taking the FA Cup seriously too. We've had good draws in the cup's so far but can see our luck running out in this competition. Will likely get some difficult away draws to PL teams.

I don't think we are ready to win the CL yet & are still somewhat naive in the competition. We will have to play a lot tighter game against the likes of Barca, Real, Bayern & PSG. ATM these teams are better than us.