Vincent Kompany: Man City quadruple a matter of time | Next year?

NinjaFletch

The more this thread is bumped the more I realised that Kompany is right and that City winning the quad is a statistical inevitably...

We just will be long, long dead before it happens

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
All a part of the masterplan...

Cal?

CR7 fan
The more this thread is bumped the more I realised that Kompany is right and that City winning the quad is a statistical inevitably...

We just will be long, long dead before it happens
I doubt the League Cup will survive as long as we do.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
What a pointless quote since everything is a matter of time if you don't put an upper limit because time never stops...

United quardruple is a matter of time.
Pep Guardiola's afro is a matter of time.
For Mick McCarthy to stop being afraid of ghosts, is also a matter of time.

Oscie

We were miles better technically in 99 and 01 than this current City side, I doubt a single player from their current side would get in a combined side.
fecking hell. Utterly ridiculous thing to say.

They are good no doubt, but no way near the technical ability of the players in our 99 side.
Aguero would not even be on our bench as a sub striker, as we had four very good players that season, all of which were better than him.
That 99 team was unbelievably good, and had talent all over the pitch.
So Aguero who so far this season, in February, has scored more league goals than York, Cole, Solskjaer and Sheringham did all season "would not even make our bench as a sub striker"?

I honestly admire your ability not to be embarrassed by some of the things you come out with. It's so child like. City lose a cup game and suddenly (to paraphrase you previously) they've merely been just good this season, none of their players in this record breaking run they've been on where they've been champions elect since effectively January would make our 1999 or 2001 side, a guy who's scored 21 league goals in 22 league appearances "would not even make the bench"?

We're all entitled to our opinions but we're all due the courtesy of being told when our opinions are ridiculous too.

Last edited:

Yergen

What a pointless quote since everything is a matter of time if you don't put an upper limit because time never stops...

United quardruple is a matter of time.
Pep Guardiola's afro is a matter of time.
For Mick McCarthy to stop being afraid of ghosts, is also a matter of time.
For that to be true, we also need to assume infinite life for Pep and Mick. While infinite time is a possibility (or at least long enough to make a quadruple probable), and it well may be that their names will live on for a long time (regrettably), their physical immortality is not very likely.

crossy1686

career ending
Think KDB said they're knackered.
Telling you, a run of bad form is on it's way. You can't play an entire season with that intensity and not expect players to tire at the back end of the season. I've been saying this since August.

The end to this season will City knocked out of the CL and see them drop points in the PL but still win it.

deafepl

The Chelsea team of 2007 is actually the closest anyone has got to winning the Quad. They were still in with a good chance of all 4 trophies on the 1st May.
No, United 2008-09 is the closest to win Quadruple before they met Barcelona who cheated their way to the final by robbing Chelsea off and lost to Everton on penalty shoot-out in semi-final

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
fecking hell. Utterly ridiculous thing to say.

So Aguero who so far this season, in February, has scored more league goals than York, Cole, Solskjaer and Sheringham did all season "would not even make our bench as a sub striker"?

I honestly admire your ability not to be embarrassed by some of the things you come out with. It's so child like. City lose a cup game and suddenly (to paraphrase you previously) they've merely been just good this season, none of their players in this record breaking run they've been on where they've been champions elect since effectively January would make our 1999 or 2001 side, a guy who's scored 21 league goals in 22 league appearances "would not even make the bench"?

We're all entitled to our opinions but we're all due the courtesy of being told when our opinions are ridiculous too.
The 99 team won three of the most high profile trophies that you can win (plus later in the Intercontinental Cup), this City side has so far won what exactly??
Yes they are on course to win the league, and are in the final of the league cup, but that means nothing until they actually do win those trophies.
Plus we managed to win the Champions League without getting beat against some of the very best sides and players of the day, whereas this City side lost to Shakthar!

So please do tell which City players could get into our 99 side? Aguero over the great understanding and teamwork of Cole and Yorke? Ahead of Ole??
Sorry but no.
De Bruyne ahead of Scholes? Again no.
Ederson ahead of Schmeichael, again no.

But please do go ahead and continue to think that players that have never achieved what those players achieved are somehow better.

So please do tell which City players could get into our 99 side? Aguero over the great understanding and teamwork of Cole and Yorke? Ahead of Ole??
Sorry but no.
De Bruyne ahead of Scholes? Again no.
Ederson ahead of Schmeichael, again no.
As for keeper and the back-line, well probably one of the centre backs alongside Stam.

Then we had Beckham Keane Scholes Giggs so the midfield is just a definite no. Striker is tricky because Aguero is better than both Yorke and Cole but the chemistry those had was sensational.

All this exercise does though is show how far standards have slipped in the Premier League. Just compare some of the great Premier League sides with their current sides.

Arsenal:
Adams, Campbell, Cole, Henry, Vieira, Petit, Bergkamp

Chelsea:
Terry, Carvalho, Cole, Lampard, Makelele, Drogba.

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
As for keeper and the back-line, well probably one of the centre backs alongside Stam.

Then we had Beckham Keane Scholes Giggs so the midfield is just a definite no. Striker is tricky because Aguero is better than both Yorke and Cole but the chemistry those had was sensational.

All this exercise does though is show how far standards have slipped in the Premier League. Just compare some of the great Premier League sides with their current sides.

Arsenal:
Adams, Campbell, Cole, Henry, Vieira, Petit, Bergkamp

Chelsea:
Terry, Carvalho, Cole, Lampard, Makelele, Drogba.
We are talking about the best team here, not the best individuals, so Aguero doesn't get close to our first team or even ahead of Ole on the bench.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
We are talking about the best team here, not the best individuals, so Aguero doesn't get close to our first team or even ahead of Ole on the bench.
Stop it. I loved the Yorke and Cole partnership and Solskjaer is one of my favourite United players of all time, but a prime Aguero would have started in that team, without a shadow of a doubt.

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
Stop it. I loved the Yorke and Cole partnership and Solskjaer is one of my favourite United players of all time, but a prime Aguero would have started in that team, without a shadow of a doubt.
This is where we are going to have to disagree, the partnership between Cole and Yorke was sensational, no way would Aguero have had such a relationship with either of them, so he would be behind those two for sure, then Ole was just deadly from the bench, (what was it 4 goals in just over ten minutes or so against Forest??), so again he would be behind him, but fair play he would I think be ahead of Teddy.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
No, United 2008-09 is the closest to win Quadruple before they met Barcelona who cheated their way to the final by robbing Chelsea off and lost to Everton on penalty shoot-out in semi-final
No, the quad dream was ended on the 19th April for United that year. The quad dream ended for Chelsea on 1st May 2007.

Thecarrickfan_2016

This current Man City are nowhere near good enough as some people are making out, They're not better than the treble-winning team, Not a chance.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
This is where we are going to have to disagree, the partnership between Cole and Yorke was sensational, no way would Aguero have had such a relationship with either of them, so he would be behind those two for sure, then Ole was just deadly from the bench, (what was it 4 goals in just over ten minutes or so against Forest??), so again he would be behind him, but fair play he would I think be ahead of Teddy.
Aguero's goal scoring record in the Premier League is miles better than all four of our strikers. Andy Cole never broke 20 league goals for United. He only did it once in his career. Yorke only did it once in his career. The year after the treble. Solskjaer's top league goals haul in his entire United career was 18. Aguero has hit at least 20 league goals in 5 of his 7 seasons in the Premier League.

They are the facts.

Your opinion that Aguero couldn't have formed a partnership with them is exactly that, your opinion. What's to say he wouldn't have formed an even better partnership with Yorke or Cole? The fact is, he's a better goal scorer than any of those strikers.

I loved our four strikers that year, but to claim that Aguero wouldn't have made the bench is a bit ludicrous.

AndyJ1985

Aguero's goal scoring record in the Premier League is miles better than all four of our strikers. Andy Cole never broke 20 league goals for United. He only did it once in his career. Yorke only did it once in his career. The year after the treble. Solskjaer's top league goals haul in his entire United career was 18. Aguero has hit at least 20 league goals in 5 of his 7 seasons in the Premier League.

They are the facts.

Your opinion that Aguero couldn't have formed a partnership with them is exactly that, your opinion. What's to say he wouldn't have formed an even better partnership with Yorke or Cole? The fact is, he's a better goal scorer than any of those strikers.

I loved our four strikers that year, but to claim that Aguero wouldn't have made the bench is a bit ludicrous.
The only person who can say one way or the other is Ferguson. Aguero may be a better player than Yorke or Cole ever were, but Ferguson only cared about the team, not the individual. We may have been worse with Aguero in the team or we may have been better, we can only speculate. But it's certainly not as clear cut as saying Aguero is the better player therefore he would have definitely got in to the team and improved us. That's not how team building works.

Rory 7

While VK may have been the first, city have kept fantasising about their little quad wet dream for years.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...et-becoming-first-english-club-win-quadruple/

When did United start talking about a possible treble in !999? It certainly wasn't before the season had even started.
My memory of 99 is that we didn't even use the word treble until around the time of CL semi-final. Even then we probably didn't call it the treble. We talked about winning the lot.

Web of Bissaka

Genuine Quadruple,

Win 4 of these:
Champions League or Europa League (*former is more prestigious and authentic)
Premier League
FA Cup
League Cup

No disrespect, but do other people include the other trophies/shields?

Winning all four is hard, no other teams in history have done it if I'm not wrong. League Cup is the earliest you can win, but in doing so slighly more games to play and can affect form, need to be one of the best team on form early season. Europa League have different system of games compare to CL, like last season, it disrupts our fixtures with having too many games per week to play. FA Cup is a knock-out system, at times it can be like flipping a coin of who won. Having a quality first team fit helps, but still uncertain. CL is the toughest, need to be at your best always against those Real and Messi or the tough top teams to beat from other leagues, unless you suddenly have those "lucky" kind of match drawings. EPL necessitates having a strong run of good form early on till about christmas, to reap up accumulating pointsss. After then, the whole team will starts to wane with fatigue and injuries, so points dropped is expected. Having a good squad is nice to have.

Naah, can't see MCity manage by Guardiola will win a quadruple, treble is a slight more likely, but even then EPL have many tough top teams, and every seasons seem to have this "dark horse" teams challenging the cups often, and league once in a while.

:D Change thread title to "... but not this time or ever." ?

onemanarmy

Think KDB said they're knackered.
To be exact, he said he's knackered, at least a couple of weeks ago. Primary reason was the personal problems David Silva had, which made him unavailable. KDB had to play every game.

deafepl

No, the quad dream was ended on the 19th April for United that year. The quad dream ended for Chelsea on 1st May 2007.

Chelsea kept the dream alive longer than United 2008-09 but haven't gotten to 1st placed EPL since 23rd September 2006.

Technically, United is the closest team to win Quadruple with 3 games they need to win all games, that includes Everton and final and vs Barcelona. How many games does Chelsea need to win Quadruple? 4 games if Chelsea had better difference than United in 2006-7 league otherwive 5 games they need to win to achieve Quadruple. It takes more 2 or 1 games ( if had better GD than United) to achieve Quadruple than United 2006-7.

Also, there's 1998-9 United treble winning team is closest to win quadrable with just 3 games they need to win all games.

I guess I get confused with "the closest", I assume how many games it takes them to win, that's why I picked United 2007-8 and 1998-9 over Chelsea 2006-7. I don't know if there's another team that is close to winning the Quadruple, I haven't done a research on this.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
The only person who can say one way or the other is Ferguson. Aguero may be a better player than Yorke or Cole ever were, but Ferguson only cared about the team, not the individual. We may have been worse with Aguero in the team or we may have been better, we can only speculate. But it's certainly not as clear cut as saying Aguero is the better player therefore he would have definitely got in to the team and improved us. That's not how team building works.
He wanted Shearer for almost Shearer's whole career. Why? He was one of the best strikers in the world and the best striker in the Premier League at the time. Safe to say he wanted players that could put the ball in the net. Safe to say, a prime Aguero would have been in his plans. That United team was a phenomenal team and the talk about the current City team is over the top. But lets not kid ourselves into thinking it couldn't be improved. Shearer would have been first choice ahead of Yorke or Cole, had we got him. So would a prime Aguero, had he existed and we got him at the time.