Vincent Kompany: Man City quadruple a matter of time | Next year?

teteus

Supports
Flamengo
Guys, I apologize for acting like a jerk sometimes here, even lying, I apologize for any disrespect here and I promise to do better in the future and not seek conflict, not make the mistakes I made before, such as my posts in this thread.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Two years ago they had

---------------------Ederson---------------------
Walker--Kompany--Laporte--Zinchenko
-------------------Fernandinho-------------------
----De Bruyne------------------D.Silva----
Sane--------------Aguero--------------Sterling

subs: Bravo, Stones, Otamendi, Danilo, Mendy, Delph, Gundogan, B.Silva, Mahrez, Jesus

compare that to now

------------------Ederson------------------
Walker--Stones--Dias--Cancelo
---------------------Rodri-------------------
----De Bruyne-----------Gundogan
Mahrez--------Jesus----------Sterling

Subs: Stefan, Ake, Laporte, Zinchenko, Mendy, Fernandinho, B.Silva, Torres, Foden, Aguero

if you think they're stronger now then you're an idiot
I agree, I would prefer their previous team to their current one if you're going on individuals. However, I think they're playing at the same level - lets be honest they should've won a CL by now.

However, when I look at that squad, it does give me some hope in regards to demographics. All of the following players are going to need replacing/declining the next two-three years:

Walker(30 - 31 in May)
Gundogan (30)
KdB (29 - 30 in June)
Mahrez (30)
Kun (32)

To be fair, they have done ok with Kun but they will need to address CF for next season. After that, the others are key parts of their squad and will need premium replacements. Obviously they have the cash to do it but having the cash and doing it right are two seperate things.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
I agree, I would prefer their previous team to their current one if you're going on individuals. However, I think they're playing at the same level - lets be honest they should've won a CL by now.

However, when I look at that squad, it does give me some hope in regards to demographics. All of the following players are going to need replacing/declining the next two-three years:

Walker(30 - 31 in May)
Gundogan (30)
KdB (29 - 30 in June)
Mahrez (30)
Kun (32)

To be fair, they have done ok with Kun but they will need to address CF for next season. After that, the others are key parts of their squad and will need premium replacements. Obviously they have the cash to do it but having the cash and doing it right are two seperate things.

Walker's replacement is already here in Cancelo, before this season would people have had Mahrez and Gundogan as needing premium replacements? The big one is Aguero, we're desperate for a clinical finisher.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Walker's replacement is already here in Cancelo, before this season would people have had Mahrez and Gundogan as needing premium replacements? The big one is Aguero, we're desperate for a clinical finisher.
Cancelo, fair enough. However, the other four need replacing over the next few years and/or will start to dip from where they are.

Don't get me wrong, I reckon you're still going to be a top team for years, it is just that you need to get recruitment right to continue as you are. That is easier said than done however.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Cancelo, fair enough. However, the other four need replacing over the next few years and/or will start to dip from where they are.

Don't get me wrong, I reckon you're still going to be a top team for years, it is just that you need to get recruitment right to continue as you are. That is easier said than done however.
yeah I agree, but this is the youngest squad I think we've ever had, most players are under 27, you're always going to need to replace 1 or 2 players a season to keep things fresh anyway

Paddy B

Supports
Manchester City
Thank God they’re not in the Europa League as well, otherwise they could win all 5.
Great stuff haha!!.

As a City fan I have no expectation whatsoever that we will do a quadruple... I'm not even thinking about it. So many things can go wrong...injuries, bad referee decision/VAR and so on. Guardiola, quite rightly, dismisses any talk about it but the media of course builds the whole thing up until the inevitable happens and we lose. Then all the good play and results will be quickly forgotten and we will be labelled as failures haha!!.

teteus

Supports
Flamengo
If I'm not mistaken, Guardiola doesn't want any talk about a quadruple at all and said there is no chance of it happening. He criticized Zinchenko for even answering questions about such.

Paul_Scholes18

6/1 to do it. Tempting.
Feels very low. They got 6 hard games to win. I guess in reality it is more like 1/10 since the bookies do not want to risk losses.

Feel the bookies may underestimate a team like Bayern since they play in weaker league.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
With all the fair criticisms he receives, he can't be blamed for how dominant City has been this season
Really? He should have done everything possible to try and win the FA Cup and prevent City from doing the treble. Not go on about cups not being important. The next round was Southampton and in a final anything can happen. So he can be blamed if City win the treble because he did feck all to prevent it.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
They've already won the league.

They've all but won the League Cup.

So really we're now just wondering if they're going to win the FA Cup and Champions League. Seeing as they could basically use the league to rest players, I can't see how they don't win the FA Cup and they're my favourites for the CL this season...

:nervous:

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
If they win it all he deserves the sack for letting it happen. Granted other teams could stop them too, but it is our treble they are beating and we should be fighting like crazy to stop it
Exactly. I am shocked at his apathy towards our most hated rivals getting a chance to win what only we have accomplished and is one of the biggest moments in our history. He should have done everything possible to try and stop City from winning the Treble. He can be blamed if City win it and match what only we have managed so far, because he did feck all to prevent it.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Its probably a domestic treble, there are a few teams that can hurt them in the CL though.

manc exile

Supports
City
They'll win the lot. The only one they have a slight chance of losing out on is the Champions League, but the draw is set up for them.
I really hope we play them in the FA cup final and beat them to destroy their hopes of the clean sweep.
This post has not aged well.

Peter Parker's Mask

Supports
Manchester City
What makes you say that? You’ve got a great chance. You’ll beat Chelsea, and Spurs.

Only Bayern can beat you to be honest.
Exactly. It's that last line. I can’t help fearing that Pep will overthink that game, like he did with Lyon last summer. Plus, Chelsea are a different animal now under Tuchel. They will not be easy to get past. As for Tottenham, it depends which Tottenham turns up; if the one that crashed and burned in Europe shows up, I'd be fairly confident of turning them over. But the thought of Kane and Son bringing their A game on the day does worry me. I've been kicked in the b****cks too often in my 50 odd years supporting City to count any chickens.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Exactly. It's that last line. I can’t help fearing that Pep will overthink that game, like he did with Lyon last summer. Plus, Chelsea are a different animal now under Tuchel. They will not be easy to get past. As for Tottenham, it depends which Tottenham turns up; if the one that crashed and burned in Europe shows up, I'd be fairly confident of turning them over. But the thought of Kane and Son bringing their A game on the day does worry me. I've been kicked in the b****cks too often in my 50 odd years supporting City to count any chickens.
Well I mean these past 8 or 9 years must have been an unexpected pleasure to you? :lol:

Paddy B

Supports
Manchester City
Domestic treble, 5/4
Proper treble, 9/2.

Gonna put €100 on them winning the quadruple. That way I at least get a PS5 out of it!
The best of luck...I will be ecstatic if you win. I'll be toasting you with a few pints of Guinness for sure...haha!!.

Last edited:

Peter Parker's Mask

Supports
Manchester City
Well I mean these past 8 or 9 years must have been an unexpected pleasure to you? :lol:
Sorry about the delay replying; as a newbie, I'd used up my daily quota of posts and had to wait. I lived in hope of MAYBE seeing Wembley one more time before I died!
:D

MongeySpangle

Supports
Manchester City
Really? He should have done everything possible to try and win the FA Cup and prevent City from doing the treble. Not go on about cups not being important. The next round was Southampton and in a final anything can happen. So he can be blamed if City win the treble because he did feck all to prevent it.
This. If Fergie was in the same position he would’ve done everything he could to win the FA Cup and probably would’ve prioritised it over anything else if it meant City couldn’t win it all.

gazbradley

I understand the narrative this could be the year they do it due to covid affecting them less than everyone else and them having such a healthy lead in the league but it still baffles me they are always favourites for the Champions League every season when they have zero history of winning it or even coming close. I’d personally rather draw them than Real, Bayern or Liverpool just due to the fact those teams have such experience in the competition. They could easily end up just winning the league this season but it’s guaranteed they’ll be favourites for a quadruple again if they start the season well next year

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
I must be an idiot then :lol:
Gondogan outscoring David Silva's best ever season by four clear goals, with several games still left to play,
Cancelo a step up from Zinchenko,
The only upgrades in the first team from the second is possibly Laporte over Dias, however Dias is currently keeping Laporte out of the side!! And Fernandinho over Rodri.
And their bench now is miles better than that of the first...Ake over Otamendi, Fernandinho over Delph...etc
You can keep screaming at the top of your lungs but unfortunately I think what your saying is a)very subjective and b) not as correct as you think it is.
But do carry on as it's mostly amusing now.
Two issues here. There's no way Laporte is better than Dias and no way Aké is better than Otamendi.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Two issues here. There's no way Laporte is better than Dias and no way Aké is better than Otamendi.
Well then, my point is made then.

As Ake is a sub who has barely played and Dias is with this seasons team which goes along my chain of thought that this seasons squad is better than any squad City have ever had.

Peter Parker's Mask

Supports
Manchester City
Haven't seen enough of Ake yet to pass comment on him. Otamendi, on his day, was fantastic. But he was very keen on going to ground. Re. Dias and Laporte, 100% correct.

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
Domestic treble, 5/4
Proper treble, 9/2.

Gonna put €100 on them winning the quadruple. That way I at least get a PS5 out of it!
If Sony sorts their embarrassment out and they come into stock before the icebergs melt and kill us all...

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
Haven't seen enough of Ake yet to pass comment on him. Otamendi, on his day, was fantastic. But he was very keen on going to ground. Re. Dias and Laporte, 100% correct.
At the end of the day Aké has been part of a constantly relegation-threatened team famous for being unbelievably leaky for years while Otamendi got into the PFA TotY. For me it's like comparing Mahrez to Roberto Pereyra.