Vincent Kompany: Man City quadruple a matter of time | Next year?

JazzG

Resident Arse.
Consistently exposed against the top teams in Europe but his playing style allows Sky to paint him as the hero no matter what.
His media skills also help, always everyone's best mate so they tend to give them a lot more leeway.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Glad I'm not the only one who was confused by Sky praising up his naive clown like performance. Even their montage of clips of him intercepting the ball by charging out of position included two or three where the Barcelona player just turned him and then ran towards the goal. There was one where Messi should have scored and another where Toure had luckily read what was going to happen or else it would have been a goal.

It also seems to have been conveniently ignored that the Demichellis sending off in the first leg only happened because Demichellis was trying to cover for Kompany's daydreaming brainfart. He basically cost his team any chance at all of winning the tie with that.

He's the epitome of City's failings in Europe. Naive displays which don't show any evidence of him learning when teams pick him off...as if he's spent too long listening to people telling him how great he already is instead of the ones telling him "you got taught a lesson there"

Gladiator

Glad I'm not the only one who was confused by Sky praising up his naive clown like performance. Even their montage of clips of him intercepting the ball by charging out of position included two or three where the Barcelona player just turned him and then ran towards the goal. There was one where Messi should have scored and another where Toure had luckily read what was going to happen or else it would have been a goal.

It also seems to have been conveniently ignored that the Demichellis sending off in the first leg only happened because Demichellis was trying to cover for Kompany's daydreaming brainfart. He basically cost his team any chance at all of winning the tie with that.

He's the epitome of City's failings in Europe. Naive displays which don't show any evidence of him learning when teams pick him off...as if he's spent too long listening to people telling him how great he already is instead of the ones telling him "you got taught a lesson there"
plus his positioning for messi's shot which hit off the post. bizarre

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Koscielny is much superior to Kompany. Simple as.

I think finally people are coming round to this.
:lol:

For me, Kompany is one of the best CBs in the world. He isnt perfect by any means, but he is one of Citys best players and is their captain and would walk into pretty much any other team on the planet.

Doesnt mean he isnt a bit of a cnut, but he is a fantastic player.

goin4glory

Don't agree he was exposed tonight thought he was very solid to say the least unlike Lescott who shouldn't be starting for any side with Champions League ambitions or Kolarov who looks incredibly uncomfortable when he isn't given time and space.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
:lol:

For me, Kompany is one of the best CBs in the world. He isnt perfect by any means, but he is one of Citys best players and is their captain and would walk into pretty much any other team on the planet.

Doesnt mean he isnt a bit of a cnut, but he is a fantastic player.
He needs a proper partner and a goalkeeper who isn't erratic and can organise behind him. He's an excellent defender. That being said, I'd like to see them end up with just the league cup this season after that ridiculous claim. As long as it's not Liverpool that win it.

Feedingseagulls

He needs a proper partner and a goalkeeper who isn't erratic and can organise behind him. He's an excellent defender. That being said, I'd like to see them end up with just the league cup this season after that ridiculous claim. As long as it's not Liverpool that win it.
City and the Poo are the most entirely hate-able clubs in the Premiership. Only Leeds come close but thankfully they no longer pollute the upper levels. (I have still not forgiven Abramovich for freeing that crook Bates to rescue Leeds and swindle so many debtors).

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
I agree, I think he looks much worse due to playing with Lescott and Demichelis so often and having an off form Hart behind him. I think if Pellegrini signs a decent left back and centre back we'll see Al's claims disproven.

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
City and the Poo are the most entirely hate-able clubs in the Premiership. Only Leeds come close but thankfully they no longer pollute the upper levels. (I have still not forgiven Abramovich for freeing that crook Bates to rescue Leeds and swindle so many debtors).
Only to United supporters. I think the most unanimously hated club is probably Chelsea.

Northstand

The haters have left since we became shit. We're too boring and predictable to take the piss out of nowadays, they need harder targets like the top teams.
Nah, it will take a lot more than one poor season for United to lose that particular distinction. Liverpool are still despised by many on here and haven't really been a force for 25 years.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I've never seen one of our defenders get left on his arse as much as Kompany did tonight. Not even Evra against Aaron Lennon.
Lescott was so much worse to be fair. It amazes me how he's playing for City. Just shocking.

jeff_goldblum

Lescott was so much worse to be fair. It amazes me how he's playing for City. Just shocking.
It's even more amazing that he cost them £28m

edit - wikipedia says £22m, which is still bad, but i'm sure someone in another City thread said £28m

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
Im not sure which of them this relates too, In fact its wrong on both counts. Kompany is not world class.
Well given that you made particular reference to Kompany I'll assume you knew exactly which of the two it related to. Everyone has an opinion of course, but for me Kompany is world class on whatever grounds you judge him on - he's strong, powerful, quick, reads the game well, excellent in the air, exceptional in a tackle, fantastic with the ball at his feet, and if that wasn't enough he's a strong leader on top. I won't spend too much time trying to convince you otherwise though, because it's common knowledge from the majority that Kompany falls into the world class catagory.

Just to add some stats to the mix, City have had the best defensive record in the PL for that last 3 seasons - conceding 33, 29 and 34 respectively. When you consider his defensive partners in that time have been Lescott, Savic and Nastasic (all of whom are relatively poor and/or very inexperienced) then I think it just backs up how good Kompany actually is. I think Demichelis this season has just been one step too far to continue that record, but we still sit joint 2nd behind Chelsea (granted with a few games to play to catch up with the majority).

Last edited:

Snipers Breath

Im not sure which of them this relates too, In fact its wrong on both counts. Kompany is not world class.
This really doesn't make the statement any less true.

He isn't world class currently, but he would still walk into any team in the world, he is better than the vast majority of the defenders in world football today.

Snipers Breath

Well given that you made particular reference to Kompany I'll assume you knew exactly which of the two it related to. Everyone has an opinion of course, but for me Kompany is world class on whatever grounds you judge him on - he's strong, powerful, quick, reads the game well, excellent in the air, exceptional in a tackle, fantastic with the ball at his feet, and if that wasn't enough he's a strong leader on top. I won't spend too much time trying to convince you otherwise though, because it's common knowledge from the majority that Kompany falls into the world class catagory.

Just to add some stats to the mix, City have had the best defensive record in the PL for that last 3 seasons - conceding 33, 29 and 34 respectively. When you consider his defensive partners in that time have been Lescott, Savic and Nastisic (all of whom are relatively poor, and/or very inexperienced) then I think it just backs up how good Kompany actually is. I think Demichelis this season has just been one step too far to continue that record, but we still sit joint 2nd behind Chelsea (granted with a few games to play to catch up with the majority).
There is a shortage of world class cbs, he hasn't been world class for a long time. Saying that other than Silva there aren't any other world class Cbs around, Kompany is one of the leaders of the pack behind Thiago Silva, alongside Ramos, Dante, Chiellini etc.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
There is a shortage of world class cbs, he hasn't been world class for a long time. Saying that other than Silva there aren't any other world class Cbs around, Kompany is one of the leaders of the pack behind Thiago Silva, alongside Ramos, Dante, Chiellini etc.
I'm happy to go with that for arguments sake, in that I agree he's probably the second best CB around behind Thiago Silva. By my understanding that makes him world class (one of the best in the world), but that is beyond my original point which was that he's better than Koscielny and would get into any side in the world. Let's agree to disagree on whether he's world class and say you've summed it up well in your previous post. :)

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
Watching Manchester City play Barcelona on Wednesday night, fans of every other club in the Premier League must have been choking with envy. Sure City lost, sure they failed across two legs to match opponents who were nowhere near their best, sure they are not yet a force to dominate Europe. But one thing we can be confident of after that display in the Nou Camp: there cannot be a better defender in the land than Vincent Kompany.

My, he was magnificent on Wednesday night. Powerful, intelligent, controlled, he was everything you want of a centre back. And what a leader too, his every contribution oozing the kind of selfless team ethic that insists others follow. There was one moment when, assessing correctly what was about to happen, he stepped in to intercept a through ball and strode forward before delivering an inch perfect pass of his own that looked as if he were channelling the spirit of Bobby Moore. There is no team in England that would not be improved hugely by his presence in their starting eleven.

His performance makes it all the more noticeable that there is currently a big hole alongside him in the heart of the City defence. Manuel Pellegrini attempted to plug it in the first leg by stationing Martin Demichelis there. And we all know what happened to that idea. With the Argentine suspended for the second leg, in came Joleon Lescott, who was culpable for Barcelona’s opening goal, the one which utterly undermined City’s chances. Until his hapless mistake, City were still, in theory at least, in contention. The moment the Englishman got the ball tangled up in his feet, allowing Lionel Messi to spring clear of the defensive line, they were finished.

It makes you wonder how a club with such resources, such backing, such ambition has not acted to sort things out in that department. There were vague noises about making a bid for Martin Skrtel over the summer last year, but nothing materialised. Sure, the progress Matija Nastasic made last season might have hinted at solving the problem. But his extended absence this year has shone the spotlight every more unflinchingly on a serious flaw in the team building process.

Until now, in truth, none of this has really mattered. When City were banging in the goals at the other end, we barely noticed that the defence was about as reliable as Uli Hoeness’s accountant. But over the last few weeks, as talk of the quadruple has been quickly silenced, the attack has been gripped by a collective slump. Without the goals to shield him, suddenly, Kompany has found himself rather busy.

It doesn’t help that the magnificent Sergio Aguero – the forward equivalent of Kompany – is struggling for fitness. On Wednesday, in what many Spanish pundits were suggesting was an audition to become Messi’s strike partner next season, Aguero looked a man firing on half a cylinder.

And the problem is, just as the Argentine is obliged to sit out the business end of the season, so his attacking colleagues appear to have been gripped by collective inertia. City have scored only one goal in their last three league games, the matches against Norwich, Stoke and Chelsea. And inspection of their forwards’ returns will explain why.

Alvaro Negredo, who started the season as if determined to annex the golden boot by January, has not scored since the Capital One Cup evisceration of West Ham in January. Edin Dzeko, meanwhile, last put the ball in the net against Tottenham two months ago. And he hasn’t often been close to improving on that record since then. In his last nine appearances, the Bosnian has had 33 shots, of which only five have been on target.

With nothing happening up top, it means Kompany has found himself increasingly exposed. Unable to rely on the forwards to correct any errors at the back (after all, it was the skipper, in a typical show of leadership, who scored the consolation on Wednesday) he has been recently been doing an impression of a small boy in the Dutch countryside, desperately trying to plug the leaks as the flood rages.

For Manuel Pellegrini, the dramatic decline in attacking zip could not have come at a worse time in the season. All clubs go through dips in form (except Fulham, whose form has remained at a steady level of hopelessness all year). His slump has arrived just when he didn’t need it, at the very point in the season a team with proper title ambitions needs to be at its best. Yes, he is the only manager in the Premier League to have won a trophy this season (sorry David, the Community Shield hardly counts). But the expectation on him was to deliver so much more.

With Chelsea looking ominously in gear, despite their admitted lack of firepower, with Liverpool smoothing on thanks to the most productive forward partnership in the division, Pellegrini needs his strikers to recover their mojo. If the manager is to have any hope of satisfying the rampaging ambition of his employers, starting on Saturday at Hull, Dzeko, Negredo and Navas have to remember how to hit the net. Pronto.

And Pellegrini could do worse than remind them if they require a role model in the application of effort and determination, they don’t have to look far. He is there a few yards behind them, in the person of their own captain, Vincent Kompany, currently the finest defender – and most admirable footballer - in the Premier League.

Did Jim White actually watch the game on Wednesday?

Bebe

Kompany had a bad tie.

He's one of the world's best centre backs.

Let's not all delve into ridiculous hyperbole trying to discount a City player who is quite clearly class.

alastair

ignorant
Kompany had a bad tie.

He's one of the world's best centre backs.

Let's not all delve into ridiculous hyperbole trying to discount a City player who is quite clearly class.
This tie wasn't all that bad.

Of course he was at fault in the first leg massively, but last night he was OK I guess.

The point is that his form has really been on a dip for two years now. It's not something new.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
currently the finest defender – and most admirable footballer - in the Premier League.
Great defender but God, they hype over his performance this week has reached unreal levels.

He wasn't even that good!

RustyS

I want this thread to be bumped in May. Let's hope Jose's bunch keep grinding out wins!

I wonder what their board will think of Pellegrini if he only wins the league cup. At Chelsea, a similar season would get you the sack.

mungy

I am a terrible poster, please ignore me
Oh! and back on topic. Vinny is a good guy, we would love him if he was one of ours.