Vincent Kompany: Man City quadruple a matter of time | Next year?

Sir A1ex

Don't know if anybody else read this, and if so what your thoughts are... I guess this is a pretty obvious response from a United fan, but I find it a depressingly sickening article.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25765975

It's specifically stuff like "We are the players at the moment who have been chosen to do it. If it's not us then it will be other players". I mean, do City fans even like reading that? It's like a spoiler, where is the excitement in football if somebody (who has the means to do so) has decided to make it that inevitable? Shouldn't the current bunch have the mindset that it is all on them, this is their change etc?

In terms of Kompany coming out and saying it, I guess in one sense it's refreshingly honest, not bothering with the usual cliches, or even the pretence that there's anything special or magical about the current bunch of mercenaries.

Or is he wrong, and they'll never manage to buy a quadruple?

Would love to know what fans of other clubs think, and even City fans. I know the analogy has been made before, butis it not a bit like playing a computer game in cheat mode. What happens if it does go the way of a lot of computer games, and eventually you're so far ahead that it's a guaranteed quadruple every year?

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
They still are only 2nd in the league and only finished 2nd in their CL group right?

Real Madrid never won the treble so far, the last 6 times Real won the CL / European Cup, they failed to win the league. Somehow I doubt it's that easy to win a double of CL and league with a team full of mercenaries, let alone a treble or quadruple.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
Sickeningly depressing?!?!?!

Cripes! It is just verbal masturbation. Who gives a feck?

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
They have truly brought success in a way no other club has brought success in the past. Of course other clubs have spent big over the years, but generally they have been clubs that have built a team, and money making brand, over many many years. I find what they have done to be pretty abhorrent, but you just have to accept it as the way the game has gone in the last 10 years.

Still, they ain't won nothing yet. It would be absolutely hilarious if we won the League Cup, one of the 2nd string won the FA Cup (Newcastle or Everton perhaps), Arse won the PL and Madrid or Munich won the CL. Would certainly shut those feckers up.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
They have truly bought success in a way no other club has bought success in the past. Of course other clubs have spent big over the years, but generally they have been clubs that have built a team, and money making brand, over many many years. I find what they have done to be pretty abhorrent, but you just have to accept it as the way the game has gone in the last 10 years.

Still, they ain't won nothing yet. It would be absolutely hilarious if we won the League Cup, one of the 2nd string won the FA Cup (Newcastle or Everton perhaps), Arse won the PL and Madrid or Munich won the CL. Would certainly shut those feckers up.
Fixed your post

Sir A1ex

I don't know, maybe I'm too negative about things. But I do think there's potential for City to keep on pushing the concept of buying trophies to levels well beyond what Chelsea or Madrid have ever done.

AlwaysRedwood

Of course. A rich sheik does not buy the team to win a couple of trophies. He wants to win all of them and to be able to say he has the greatest team of all time.

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
They still are only 2nd in the league and only finished 2nd in their CL group right?

Real Madrid never won the treble so far, the last 6 times Real won the CL / European Cup, they failed to win the league. Somehow I doubt it's that easy to win a double of CL and league with a team full of mercenaries, let alone a treble or quadruple.
They finished 2nd on goal difference in a group with Bayern in it.

I'd also say that their team isn't a team of mercenaries. When they had Tevez, Adebayor and the likes fair enough, but now I don't think they are.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I like Kompany, but this is the kind of nonsense overly arrogant Arsenal players used to spout.

I'd maybe at the very least, wait until my team was actually good enough to even be top of the league they're in, before mouthing off about becoming the greatest team in the history of ever.

adamwest

We are the players at the moment who have been chosen to do it. If it's not us then it will be other players

I like Kompany but this is just pathetic. He is basically licking Mansour's ballbag. What a cheb-end.

Kag

He's speaking with confidence and playing to the support. No big deal. I wish it was our staff members coming out with this sort of inflated lingo. We're just trying to win games.

It will be our players again soon enough, though. I'm confident of that.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
He's speaking with confidence and playing to the support. No big deal. I wish it was our staff members coming out with this sort of inflated lingo. We're just trying to win games.
When Moyes said we could still win the league some time back, most of the caf called him deluded.

Kag

When Moyes said we could still win the league some time back, most of the caf called him deluded.
Admittedly, he can't win. I don't really care what he says in his press conferences, I judge him based on the score at the weekend and how the team played during the game. The rest is all a bit superficial. In saying that, he does come out with some muddled quotes.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses

When it concerns the Premier League, I think it's extra difficult too.

My friends have often said 'Ferguson should have won the Champions League way more in 20+ years considering Mourinho, Rafa, etc.etc.'.

However, when Arsenal got to the final in 2006 they finished 3rd. Liverpool finished 5th in 2005 and 3rd in 2007. Chelsea finished 2nd in 2008 and 6th in 2012. Yeah.. Mourinho's won it twice but he didn't with Chelsea.

The 4 finals we got to we won the league every time.

mic.m

likes to be nude when popping out baked brownies
Oh the hypocrisy. In 2008-9 there was a lot of talk amongst us United fans of winning the quintriple or something. In the end we won the League Cup, the Club World Cup and the League. We also reached the semi finals of the F.A Cup and the CL final. They are on a good run of form, they have a great squad why shouldn't they talk about their ambitions?

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
They arent that good a side. They arent as good as Uniteds 07-09 team, Chelseas 04/06 team or Arsenals invincables, and none of those sides won even a Treble. Pointless player talk, but I guess getting them overexcited isnt a bad thing!

pauldyson1uk

They arent that good a side. They arent as good as Uniteds 07-09 team, Chelseas 04/06 team or Arsenals invincables, and none of those sides won even a Treble. Pointless player talk, but I guess getting them overexcited isnt a bad thing!
This maybe the case, but they have the best squad in the PL at the moment and they are scoring for fun. I don't think they will win the Quadruple, but I can see them doing a domestic double.

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
This maybe the case, but they have the best squad in the PL at the moment and they are scoring for fun. I don't think they will win the Quadruple, but I can see them doing a domestic double.

No doubt, but I think their home form is still masking a problem that may appear more in cup games.

They may have demolished Blackburn in the fa cup at the Etihad, but they drew away. They are not automatic winners in those games and a tough away draw in the FA cup could see them ousted.

pauldyson1uk

No doubt, but I think their home form is still masking a problem that may appear more in cup games.

They may have demolished Blackburn in the fa cup at the Etihad, but they drew away. They are not automatic winners in those games and a tough away draw in the FA cup could see them ousted.
away form is their Achilles heel this season, they need to improve it or they could win nothing.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
It needs far too much luck to predict.

But is this a good enough side to win them all. Probably but there has been a few in the past that could have done the same.

For me they are comfortably the best side in England. A domestic treble is certainly a possibility. The CL will be too much IMO.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
They've won feck all so far. One fa cup and one premier league, not even in the same season. :lol:

Everest Red

Reddest ever
They have truly brought success in a way no other club has brought success in the past. Of course other clubs have spent big over the years, but generally they have been clubs that have built a team, and money making brand, over many many years. I find what they have done to be pretty abhorrent, but you just have to accept it as the way the game has gone in the last 10 years.

Nah. That'll add pressure on Moyes. Hopefully Everton tank.

Sir A1ex

Oh the hypocrisy. In 2008-9 there was a lot of talk amongst us United fans of winning the quintriple or something.
You're missing the point. If a club finds that they have found that magical formula, got the right players playing the right way and are suddenly amazingly good, you can expect the players / manager / fans to talk about the amazing things they think they may be able to achieve.

The shitty part of Kompany's quotes is that he isn't talking about he and his team-mates' quality, he's just pointing out that the owners will keep on spending and spending until they win everything. It's not "I hope we can do this and I think we may be good enough to", it's "it's inevitable that the club will do it, and if we current players don't, they'll just get better players who do".

adamwest

You're missing the point. If a club finds that they have found that magical formula, got the right players playing the right way and are suddenly amazingly good, you can expect the players / manager / fans to talk about the amazing things they think they may be able to achieve.

The shitty part of Kompany's quotes is that he isn't talking about he and his team-mates' quality, he's just pointing out that the owners will keep on spending and spending until they win everything. It's not "I hope we can do this and I think we may be good enough to", it's "it's inevitable that the club will do it, and if we current players don't, they'll just get better players who do".

This is what really gets me.

My Mrs is a blue and even she thinks this is embarrassing. You'll get the City supporters who will obviously back their captain the hilt, but IMO he has really dropped a bollock here.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Silly statement. It was hard enough for united to win the Treble, which was one of if not the most remarkable achievments in all of sports. He should've said if city keep throwing money at the team , eventually they will have a chance of winning the CL.
Christ

Loon

:lol:
Every team in ascendancy trots this one out. Fergie famously did that "...it's about winning the quadruple."* line on Sky Sports for the coming 1999-2000 season trailer. Arsenal and Chelsea have also talked about it when they were flying; Liverpool were one game away from the treble in 1977 (guess who stopped 'em?).

If they do it, they do it. If they don't, these are the kind of statements which will come back to haunt them.

*With a note of irony, I might add.