Vincent Kompany: Man City quadruple a matter of time | Next year?

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
I loved this line

"We are the players at the moment who have been chosen to do it. If it's not us then it will be other players"
Talk about hedging your bets. We are the chosen ones!!! But in case we arent then itll be someone else!

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
Kompany is a knobhead. I think he's on the verge of a breakdown every time I see him play.

Malva

he's a great captain, and a fantastic leader. nothing knobhead about him to me.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
You should be worried about the quadruple, not posting on here Vincent.

Oggmonster

he's a great captain, and a fantastic leader. nothing knobhead about him to me.

He's a very good player. I don't know about "great captain" (though I find the captain role in terms of football a bit pointless anyway these days) but his mannerisms on the pitch annoy me at times. Whenever he gives away a foul no matter how blatant he's on his knees screaming like it's the biggest tragedy to football that the referee blew up for a foul against him.

Gannicus

I just don't see Man City ever having enough depth to do the CL, let alone the quad. Barca just have them a colonoscopy and Bayern would rip their heart right out their chest and drive a stake through it before it stopped beating. Just like in that weird Mel Gibson movie!

I had City down for a domestic treble, but I now see the light. The light that is Jose Mourinho, a truly superior manager to anyone else we've seen in recent times, bar Ferguson. Jose will lift the prem trophy this season, and probably next season as well. City, eat your heart out.

Vinny would be best advised to refrain from making such lofty proclamations.

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea
I just don't see Man City ever having enough depth to do the CL, let alone the quad. Barca just have them a colonoscopy and Bayern would rip their heart right out their chest and drive a stake through it before it stopped beating. Just like in that weird Mel Gibson movie!

I had City down for a domestic treble, but I now see the light. The light that is Jose Mourinho, a truly superior manager to anyone else we've seen in recent times, bar Ferguson. Jose will lift the prem trophy this season, and probably next season as well. City, eat your heart out.

Vinny would be best advised to refrain from making such lofty proclamations.
Its not their depth, they are ok in depth and first team, its their team ethic and manager.

Not that Pele is that bad but he is nowhere near the level of SAF, Jose, etc They play some excellent football but are missing a key ingredient which turns a great set of players into a great team.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Its not their depth, they are ok in depth and first team, its their team ethic and manager.

Not that Pele is that bad but he is nowhere near the level of SAF, Jose, etc They play some excellent football but are missing a key ingredient which turns a great set of players into a great team.
Or to put it another way, they're a bunch of cnuts.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

I think their CM options are just poor when Toure and Fernandinho are either injured or poor. Their CBs bar Kompany (who has become a bit shit this season) are not good enough. Their depth isn't impressive at all considering all the money spent season after season.

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea
Or to put it another way, they're a bunch of cnuts.
They lack the same mentality we had when we got taken over and started winning things. In that respect if you put the money aside Chelsea were a lot like United. World class manager, strong team, great spirit.

Mersault

I saw that interview live and was delighted with the Arsenal-like self-imposed pressure their captain started. I was beyond stupid. But they kept repeating it, various people within that club. Even more stupid.

Gannicus

I hear you but I'm not convinced they have the depth required to win multiple trophies in a single season. Off goes Toure and they've taken a big hit to their prowess. Off goes Aguero and they're very beatable by any half decent club. Take off both and pretty much anyone can pull their undies over their heads.

As for team ethic, maybe I'm not looking closely enough but I don't see any particular problem there. But it is true that they're mercenaries and I doubt more than a few of them had even heard of Manchester City Football Club as teenagers.

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea
I hear you but I'm not convinced they have the depth required to win multiple trophies in a single season. Off goes Toure and they've taken a big hit to their prowess. Off goes Aguero and they're very beatable by any half decent club. Take off both and pretty much anyone can pull their undies over their heads.

As for team ethic, maybe I'm not looking closely enough but I don't see any particular problem there. But it is true that they're mercenaries and I doubt more than a few of them had even heard of Manchester City Football Club as teenagers.
I dont see the grit and resolve there as you did amongst great United and Chelsea teams, or even Arsenal back in the day.

They play well and thrash Spurs 6-0, but they have a poor game they dont seem to grind too many out. Look how many lesser sides have beaten them got something off them or given them a good run this season.

Cardiff
Villa
Stoke
Sunderland
Norwich
Watford
Wigan

Gannicus

I dont see the grit and resolve there as you did amongst great United and Chelsea teams, or even Arsenal back in the day.

They play well and thrash Spurs 6-0, but they have a poor game they dont seem to grind too many out. Look how many lesser sides have beaten them got something off them or given them a good run this season.

Cardiff
Villa
Stoke
Sunderland
Norwich
Watford
Wigan
You make some good points. They do seem to cough up odd hairballs, but I wonder if we're underestimating the effect of being under a new manager. It may take them another season to consistently stay in top gear under Pellegrini.

They also had troubles with Hart earlier, though I can't recall how many points his howlers cost them. 2 or 3 points max, I would think. Still, that's a big number.

In the end it may just be that there were (are) guilty of hubris, that feeling that all you have to do is show up to the office and the points are in hand. Hard to say. But you wouldn't look at their best XI and do anything more than make one, possibly two tweaks, short of landing anyone you wanted from Barca, Bayern and Real.

The difference between City running away with the prem trophy and falling short is Jose Mourinho. Pellegrini is good, but he's no Mourinho.

Last edited:

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
His performance tonight was so overrated. Kept getting beat by his man, caught out of position, and could possibly have been sent off.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I don't think he is that good in these high tempo games, he always has lots of shit moments in same. Bit more agile and quicker than Vidic, but still isn't good as Vidic was at his best, let alone the likes of Ferdinand.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
I've never seen one of our defenders get left on his arse as much as Kompany did tonight. Not even Evra against Aaron Lennon.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Consistently exposed against the top teams in Europe but his playing style allows Sky to paint him as the hero no matter what.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Consistently exposed against the top teams in Europe but his playing style allows Sky to paint him as the hero no matter what.
It's like John Terry (although Terry was better) and David Luiz style defending. Shit positioning forcing you to make last ditch tackles because the opposition is constantly behind you.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Instead of holding a good line with the rest of his defence he always drops back 10 yards behind his defence all the time because he wants to be the saviour.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The only 'tough' game Chelsea have is Liverpool away. They should beat Arsenal at home and the rest of the teams are quite easy. City still have to play Us, Liverpool, United and Arsenal away. They could end up only winning the League Cup.

Said since Kompany has been playing for City that his performances in the CL have been poor for a player who is supposedly one of the best in the world. He's had 3 seasons now to try and improve but he just hasn't. This year he's took that poor form into the League too. Far too many mistakes.

BW.k

He's also been quite a bit overrated. Doesn't come across as someone who'll drive his players on instead he'll do something foolish and get sent off. Been claimed as the best defender in the world when certainly he's not.

The statement he made was baffling and knowing that no English club has ever done that its pure delusion. Either he was too drunk or he thought city just by winning one title have suddenly became better than all the great sides English clubs have had that have won the European cups. Football is uncertain. if I was the captain of even the best team in the world I wouldn't have said that in a million years.

Guy Incognito

The only 'tough' game Chelsea have is Liverpool away. They should beat Arsenal at home and the rest of the teams are quite easy. City still have to play Us, Liverpool, United and Arsenal away. They could end up only winning the League Cup.

Said since Kompany has been playing for City that his performances in the CL have been poor for a player who is supposedly one of the best in the world. He's had 3 seasons now to try and improve but he just hasn't. This year he's took that poor form into the League too. Far too many mistakes.
They have a European match midweek, wouldn't be surprised if Arsenal nick a draw.

City have lost a lot of momentum since the League Cup win.

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea

I know I might be becoming a caricature of myself but I am still concerned about us in the medium tougher games we have left.

Fairly confident about Arsenal at home, its more Villa, Swansea and Palace away that concern me. Like West Brom away.