Vincent Kompany: Man City quadruple a matter of time | Next year?

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
They’re pretty much going to make it to the League Cup final every year because they’re the only club that takes that competition seriously.

Thankfully that will continue to be their undoing when going for the proper treble. Already difficult enough but with another cup run thrown in? Something has to give.

G-MUFC

I don't normally focus too much on opposition teams, especially given how poor Utd have been over the last several years. But if City were to lose the league cup final and go out to PSG it would be very satisfying!

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
I love when this gets bumped every year.

teteus

Supports
Flamengo
Because they too often steamroll the league, a league with so many wimpy teams that daren’t actually play them incase it results in a twatting. Media take it for granted that a run to finals and winning finals is a given, they completely forget that they often struggle against the top sides and must beat several top top sides in order to win a treble. They don’t play Palace or Southampton when they get to the business end of big cups.
But they beat the top PL teams. Liverpool in 2019, for example, won the UCL, but was unable to beat City, losing 2-1 in a tight game. City in 2019 also fell on away goals to a Tottenham team that City beat in both rounds in PL.

Nero

Shout out to all the drama llamas on here who return to this thread every year claiming no one can stop them, and how they are gonna do it this time.

Been going on ever since the thread was created in 2014. They'll be at it again next year. See you then.

But they beat the top PL teams.
And get beat by them often, that’s the point, it’s far from a formality.

This season for example they’ve beaten United, Chelsea, Spurs and Leicester, and also have been beaten by United, Chelsea, Spurs and Leicester.
Last season they lost to United, Spurs and Liverpool, and in the CL v. Lyon.
Their records in top games shouldn’t give the media and fans the confidence that any cup competition is won until it’s won.

Pep’s tactics have been getting found out in the CL late stages even since he was in charge of one of the best sides in history.

Last edited:

Teja

Can't wait for Pep to leave and for them to fade into obscurity again.

Crustanoid

Closest any English team has come to a quadruple (actually quintuple) was us in 08/09, and even after we won the league cup and were ten points clear I don’t remember anyone talking about it as a serious possibility.

Why did this become such a constant narrative around a City side who’ve never even got a CL final?
Because nowadays the league and CL has become awash with oil money and plasticity, and the media are desperate to generate a storyline, even though its utterly hollow

cyberman

This season for example they’ve beaten United, Chelsea, Spurs and Leicester, and also have been beaten by United, Chelsea, Spurs and Leicester.

Pep’s tactics have been getting found out in the CL late stages even since he was in charge of one of the best sides in history.
Spot on. Ole was getting shit on earlier this season for his top 6 record when Pep was sitting there winless against the current top 6 at the time.
Strange times. I dont think the false 9 works as well as it pretends to against top sides.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
And the utter pricks benefitting from a match postponement v Everton due to Covid concerns within the City squad, conveniently during a stretch when they were struggling and Everton likely to beat them/get a positive result.

That extended break was extremely suspicious and ultimately ensured City were suitably fresh when every other team in the league were out on their feet with fixtures.
I did say this when it happened but from a Liverpool fan it’s sour grapes. :D They’ve also just got a second eleven that could challenge for a top 4, its depth and money that in a congested season and with most normal clubs financially strapped that you can’t compete with. He tightened them up defensively and it’s basically been a free title. Of course it’s annoying as a Liverpool fan because with a squad just at its peak it was an ideal opportunity to eke out another title, alas not to be which is great for United fans:lol:

I just do worry that they’ll establish a stranglehold, they’ve won 3 of the last 4.

man united 4eva

Have you ever won The Treble ?
Have you f*ck !
Have you ever won the European Cup ?
Have you ever won The Treble like Phil & Gary Neville ?
Have you ever won The Treble ?
Have you f*ck !

:devil:

Happens every year. Media talk up how amazing they are, then they get beaten in one and very quickly collapse in two or three of the others and end up with not much to show for the season. Like clockwork.

Amir

Closest any English team has come to a quadruple (actually quintuple) was us in 08/09, and even after we won the league cup and were ten points clear I don’t remember anyone talking about it as a serious possibility.

Why did this become such a constant narrative around a City side who’ve never even got a CL final?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philmcnulty/2009/03/can_man_utd_rewrite_history.html

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/jan/21/manchester-united-chasing-quadruple

Took me two seconds...

Strongly fancy PSG to take care of them in the CL too. Mbappe will have serious joy getting in behind them
PSG are even more overrated than they are. Not that I will have much interest in who wins, as long as Real/Chelsea do them in the final.

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
Happens every year. Media talk up how amazing they are, then they get beaten in one and very quickly collapse in two or three of the others and end up with not much to show for the season. Like clockwork.
Media don't really talk them up though, they just simply start to mention the quadruple every second minute to create some narrative.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
I said it before and Il say it again, our treble achievements hasnt been show enough respect.
If or when man city equal out treble then the quadruple nonsense should be spoken about.
We have an old saying, learn to walk before you can run.
No it doesn't. If the Dippers had done it, Sky would probably have been calling for a National holiday in their name.

We would probably be in the title race if it wasnt for some poor officiating in our home game to sheff u and the absolute scandal of an opening goal city scored at home to villa. I'm not bitter though.

Anyway more on point feck off city! A billion pounds and you still cant match SAF and the 99 team!
To be fair, there have also been some calls in Utd's favour. Some of the pens Utd have got this season have been fortuitous if we are being honest. Further, Chelsea really should've had a pen at OT. Although that particular one was offset by the one that should've ben awarded at SB. Ironically that fecked both clubs over as both would've been a point better off if they had rightfully been given.

They amount of space they had behind them was ridiculous. Chelsea could have scored at least 2 more if they were a bit better with their finishing and tighter with their runs. Can imagine Mbappe seriously ruining them if they try that again...
For sure, City are a beatable team. Leeds and Chelsea have shown the exact blueprint to beat them. What teams need to do against them is accept that it is likely they will lose but go out swinging against them as doing so gives them a much better chance of points.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
PSG are even more overrated than they are. Not that I will have much interest in who wins, as long as Real/Chelsea do them in the final.
PSG are indeed way overrated. However, fortunately, they are a good match up for City as they have two of the best players in the world to expose City's defence. Problem for PSG, is that both Real and Chelsea are the worst sort of match up for them.

I have said it elsewhere, but for me, PSG should be favourites to beat City but lose the final, while City should be underdogs to beat PSG but win the final. It is a bit of a funny CL semi set up as Real V Chelsea I cannot pick a winner, while I think the PSG v City game is being seen through the wrong lens.

Green_Red

And the fact that the media has a hardon for Pep, the godfather of football.
Anyone can win anything if they are given the budget to do so. Especially when they're rich enough to have FFP rules overturned.

Paul_Scholes18

I really thought we could do it that season. That defeat to Moyes on pens still hurt. SAF should have played a stronger team for sure and had Ronaldo playing for longer.

The Irish Connection

Thank God this shite is over!
Can we please get the 3 players needed and take the trophies off them or Liverpool next year?!

Irrational.

I reckon their star is fading, and fast. I can’t see Pep being there much longer; KdB is perennially injured, Fernandinho is on his last legs, Aguero is on his way out which leaves... Phil Foden as their leading light. The others are good players but they don’t give City that sense of imperiousness that the former do.

izzydiggler

When you listen to the ‘experts’, you’d think they’re one of the great teams. They’re a good side for sure but compared to the great sides of the past 30 years, they’re way off and many of their best players are on the way down.

I think with United not challenging for the major trophies in recent years, it has made me less tribal and hateful of other teams (well bar Liverpool), so I like watching City play when they’re at full flow...DeBruyne is a wonderful player, Aguero is one of the PL greats and Foden looks like he’ll be pretty special but overall I look at their team and I just don’t see greatness.

teteus

Supports
Flamengo

Last season they lost to United, Spurs and Liverpool, and in the CL v. Lyon.
Their records in top games shouldn’t give the media and fans the confidence that any cup competition is won until it’s won.

But whenever you play against top teams, you can always be beaten, that's obvious. Games of high level can always go to one side or the other. About this season, City's losses to Leicester and Tottenham happened early in this season, City didn't start well. They only started to find their footing towards the end of December. City also won almost all games against Chelsea this season, today was their first loss and also with a heavily rotated squad. City had a run of 21 or 22 victores in all competitions, which also included beating the likes of Tottenham, Liverpool, Chelsea. And they beat Leicester a few weeks ago too.

About Guardiola's tactics, I think he often overthinks in UCL, but he has also been a bit unlucky, specially in 2016 with Bayern and 2019 with City. He was eliminated on away goals and can be blamed for the away losses, but at home his teams vastly dominated and were eliminated because of poor finishing. Simeone speaks of Bayern at Allianz Arena in 2016 as having played the best football that any team has ever played against Atlético, a lesson in how to unlock any defense with everyone playing at very high technical level. City might fall to PSG, but not necessarily because of bad tactics, but because PSG has a crazy attack that is a danger to any top team, they already proved that by eliminating Bayern.

Also, compare look at City in the PL in the 2017/2018 and 2018/2019 seasons. Also Liverpool in the 2018/2019 and Liverpool 2019/2020 seasons. They rarely got beaten in the PL by any team besides the other.

City in the 2017/2018 season had 100 points in the PL, 106 goals scored 27 conceded. 32 victories and only 2 losses. Also reached 18 consecutive wins, a record that would be equaled by Liverpool in the 2019/2020 season.

The Top 6 of the PL table in the 2017/2018 season was City, United, Tottenham, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal.

Against United, City won 2-1 away and lost 3-2 away with the league already well wrapped up. Against Tottenham, City won 4-1 at home and 3-1 away. Against Liverpool, 5-0 victory home and a 4-3 loss away, the big black mark, though, were the two UCL losses in the quarter-finals. Against Chelsea, two 1-0 victories. Against Arsenal, 3-1 at home, 3-0 away and also a 3-0 in the League Cup final.

City won the 2018/2019 PL with 32 wins, 4 losses and 98 points followed by Liverpool's 97 points with 30 wins and only one loss, and it was to City.

City in the 2018/2019 season was arguably better than in 2017/2018, though, because they fared better against top sides, despite some surprising losses to Crystal Palace and Newcastle, and also won all domestic trophies. City played against Liverpool two times, drawing 0-0 away and winning 2-1 at home.

Completing the Top 6, Chelsea, Tottenham, Arsenal and United.

City beat Chelsea 2-0 in the Community Shield, lost away to Chelsea 2-0 in the PL, beat Chelsea 6-0 in the PL and won the League Cup beating Chelsea on penalties after a 0-0 draw.

Against Tottenham, City won both PL games by a 1-0 score, lost away at the UCL 1-0 and won at home in the UCL 4-3.

Against Arsenal, City won 2-0 away and 3-1 at home.

Against United, City won 3-1 at home and 2-0 away.

Liverpool in the same season beat Chelsea at home 2-0 and drew 1-1 away. Also lost 2-1 in the League Cup in the third round.

Against Tottenham, Liverpool won both fixtures by 2-1 and also won the UCL final against Tottenham.

Against Arsenal, Liverpool drew 1-1 away and won 5-1 at home.

Against United, Liverpool won 3-1 at home and drew 0-0 away.

In the 2019/2020 season, Liverpool won with 99 points, 32 victories and 3 losses. The top 6 was Liverpool, City, United, Chelsea, Leicester and Wolverhampton.

They beat City 3-1 at home and lost 4-0 away with the league well wrapped up.

Against United, Liverpool drew 1-1 away and won 2-0 at home.

Against Chelsea, they drew 2-2 at the UEFA Supercopa, winning on penalties. Beat Chelsea 2-1 away and 5-3 at home in the league. Lost 2-0 in the FA Cup.

Against Leicester, won 2-1 at home and 4-0 away in one of their supreme performances.

Against Wolverhampton, won 1-0 at home and 2-1 away.

Eddy_JukeZ

They're such an overrated side and their squad is insanely overrated by United fans on the cafe.

They were never going to win the quadruple.

teteus

Supports
Flamengo
I reckon their star is fading, and fast. I can’t see Pep being there much longer; KdB is perennially injured, Fernandinho is on his last legs, Aguero is on his way out which leaves... Phil Foden as their leading light. The others are good players but they don’t give City that sense of imperiousness that the former do.
What? One loss and this discourse comes? I can't see Guardiola quitting City anytime soon, where would he go? He has never felt more comfortable at club and turned this season around, which had started badly.

When you listen to the ‘experts’, you’d think they’re one of the great teams. They’re a good side for sure but compared to the great sides of the past 30 years, they’re way off and many of their best players are on the way down.

I think with United not challenging for the major trophies in recent years, it has made me less tribal and hateful of other teams (well bar Liverpool), so I like watching City play when they’re at full flow...DeBruyne is a wonderful player, Aguero is one of the PL greats and Foden looks like he’ll be pretty special but overall I look at their team and I just don’t see greatness.
Guardiola's City and Klopp's Liverpool are undoubtedly one of the all-time great teams in England. They are at least better and more dominant than Mourinho's Chelsea and Wenger's Arsenal. Only Ferguson's United circa 2007-2009 can match them.

teteus

Supports
Flamengo
They're such an overrated side and their squad is insanely overrated by United fans on the cafe.

If anything, both Guardiola's City and Klopp's Liverpool were and are often VERY underrated here. I lost my count of how many times I saw bullshit being said downplaying the quality of the football of those teams and, specially, their players.

teteus

Supports
Flamengo
No it doesn't. If the Dippers had done it, Sky would probably have been calling for a National holiday in their name.

To be fair, there have also been some calls in Utd's favour. Some of the pens Utd have got this season have been fortuitous if we are being honest. Further, Chelsea really should've had a pen at OT. Although that particular one was offset by the one that should've ben awarded at SB. Ironically that fecked both clubs over as both would've been a point better off if they had rightfully been given.

For sure, City are a beatable team. Leeds and Chelsea have shown the exact blueprint to beat them. What teams need to do against them is accept that it is likely they will lose but go out swinging against them as doing so gives them a much better chance of points.
City's defense is much better than Bayern's and has often been truly incredible and rock-solid this season. Also, City rested a lot of starters against Leeds and Chelsea.

They can get hurt a lot by Mbappé and Neymar regardless of what they do, Mbappé and Neymar are that good, simple.

I don't like how so many people here seem to treat high line as purely a liability and suicidal while it actually is how modern football is played. Flick, Klopp and Guardiola, three best coaches in the world now (the latter two for years) all play with a high line and dictate that modern offensive football is played with a high line and pressure.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Unfortunately they remind me of a Ferguson side you’d see every few years. Not tactically or stylistically, just that the manager is able to make a few tactical adjustments to paper over some cracks and fully take advantage in the drop in quality in the league to stroll to a league title. This whole business of Cancelo overloading the midfield, it’s not the hallmark of a great side, it’s the hallmark of attempting to balance an unbalanced side. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a tactical master piece and has done exactly the job Pep hoped it would but it’s the difference between, say, Fergie winning with a genuinely great balanced side in 2007/2008 or Fergie moving an ageing Giggs into a central role and winning against much weaker opposition in 10/11.

But whenever you play against top teams, you can always be beaten, that's obvious. .
that’s the fecking point I’m making man, are you even following?
The media and fans see City steamrolling the league and think the FA Cup and League Cup are a formality and start talking about a quadruple, they completely ignore that City don’t steamroller the top teams, they get beat often in fact in big games.

RashyForPM

Guardiola's City and Klopp's Liverpool are undoubtedly one of the all-time great teams in England. They are at least better and more dominant than Mourinho's Chelsea and Wenger's Arsenal. Only Ferguson's United circa 2007-2009 can match them.
Disagree with this. Klopp’s Pool from 2018-2020 were obviously very good, but so were the Leicester and Blackburn sides who won the PL. Every title winning side is very good. However, they scrapped loads of 1 goal wins through luck of refereeing decisions. Even their style of play was never truly beautiful, like Fergie, Pep and Wenger’s best teams. 99 points is obviously good, but they did it in possibly the weakest PL in history. We finished 3rd with only 66 points. This year is definitely stronger already, as at least 70 points will be required to even get top 4. Mourinho’s Chelsea would do a job on them and Wenger’s Arsenal Invincibles with Henry and Bergkamp would absolutely destroy them.

Pep’s City circa 2017-2019 is debatable. Don’t like saying it because their class prevented us from actually winning the PL in 2018, but they were great. Definitely comparable with our two great teams and the Arsenal and Chelsea teams too. Not better than our two best teams and Chelsea, but maybe better than the Arsenal side.