Music Vinyl Records - Bargains, Sales, New Releases etc.

JmRssll555

I know we have various music threads, but I thought we could have one specifically for vinyl records, since it has made such a big comeback in the past few years.

HMV have a pretty good sale on just now - a lot of Bowie and Led Zepp and various other bits and pieces. I picked up 'Let England Shake' by PJ Harvey and 'Give Em Enough Rope' by the Clash for £9.99 each today.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
My copy of the new Bon Iver album arrived today. Completely forgot I'd preordered that.

Should have cancelled after I heard it on Spotify and realized it's a pile of shit.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I've bought a few of the reprinted records you see nowadays, but have been mocked endlessly by my dad who's got all the originals. He recently went through his collection and reckons it's 3/4 grand's worth. Crazy.

phonics_tid

Your Mother Was a Hamster and Your Father Smelt of
This thread definitely needs a bump.

Where do people find the best places to get a bargain? I've had a good luck on eBay but it's verging on a full time job trying to track down everything I want. My current collection ranges from some Bowie and Johnny Cash to a bit of Mogwai and Royal Blood.

As a side, does anyone have or know of places to get a good unit for their record player? I've spotted this one which I love but they only sell it in America currently... https://www.linephono.com

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I use eBay and Amazon mainly, bought two yesterday in fact. You can't get vinyl cheap unless you go to a charity shop really, you tend to shell out a tenner for even the tattiest second hand LPs. The two I bought yesterday were used reissues and still cost me £18 for the pair.

2 man midfield

What did you get? Looking for inspiration
Two of the early Sabbath records (Master of Reality and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath). Wore them out growing up but only ever owned them on CD.

I'm always on the lookout for vinyl wherever i go, but there's so few places around. Tend to end up in HMV paying way over the odds for a 180 gram new copy of something because there's no decent record shops near me.

HabeasC

Discogs is quite good and does a variety of vinyls. I've only bought house/techno/etc. from sellers there but I think most genres are represented.

It is a marketplace though rather than one seller. This means prices fluctuate a lot and can be quite steep on some vinyls but also quite cheap for others.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Discogs is great for bargains. A lot of folk just wanting rid of their records whatever the cost. I rarely pay over the odds on there.

I hate selling on there though. So many dickheads. Annoying when someone sends you a price offer, you accept it, then they revoke it and send you another offer lower than the original, like some really, really slow attempt to haggle. One guy recently sent me an incredibly detailed instruction on how to package and post a record, right down to the type of postage I should be going for, and a link to what he believes are the best LP mailers. I won't lie, it really made me want to post it in a carrier bag, with one 2nd class stamp, soaked in piss.

So yeah, if you buy in Discogs, don't be a condescending cnut, or else you might find your gatefold 2xLP arrives with a turd pressed between the folded sleeve.

Zen

I pretty much got my collection through charity shops from about 07-11ish, but that's died, people got all over them. I ain't chasing these things around, I just used to enjoy picking them up nowadays.

Generally you'll find all new ones overpriced though, it's massively growing, and the music industry will do anything to generate more money while it can. I tend to just buy the occasional new one from an artist as a pre-order/MP3 kind of thing, got all Radioheads from In Rainbows(which probably started it for me) etc.

2 man midfield

New ones are ridiculously overpriced, but since vinyl isn't the main platform anymore and holds a lot less, most new records are going to be double albums. HMV wanted £35 for Physical Graffiti the other day.

Heardy

Got a Rega turntable for Christmas so will be following thus thread and exploring avenues for building up a vinyl collection.

Bought a bunch from HMV but at near £20 a pop that'll get expensive real fast.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Record Store Day tomorrow! Anyone else getting up at an ungodly hour to stand in a queue for 4 hours?
Isn't it the 14th?

EDIT: It is tomorrow. I had kinda written it off as something I wouldn't be able to do due to traveling to France. I guess I might give it a lash.

EDIT2: I don't really know what I'm after. Maybe Bob Dylan, Van Morrison and Fleetwood Mac.

Last edited:

Heardy

Isn't it the 14th?

EDIT: It is tomorrow. I had kinda written it off as something I wouldn't be able to do due to traveling to France. I guess I might give it a lash.

EDIT2: I don't really know what I'm after. Maybe Bob Dylan, Van Morrison and Fleetwood Mac.
You almost sent into blind panic then!! Have you done RSD before? I've not, but expect its a bit of a lottery in terms of what your local store has managed to get in and where you are in the queue. Hopefully there aren't too many people in it purely to flip the records for a quick buck.

Maagge

You almost sent into blind panic then!! Have you done RSD before? I've not, but expect its a bit of a lottery in terms of what your local store has managed to get in and where you are in the queue. Hopefully there aren't too many people in it purely to flip the records for a quick buck.
No I've only picked up some of the leftovers the day after due to not having time.
The store I'd usually go to have made a series of post on Facebook regarding what they have in stock leading up to tomorrow, so I know they will have the three I mentioned at the start of the day. I don't know what the queue will be like though. But they haven't got a lot of attendees on their Facebook event, so fingers crossed.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Agh wish I was back in Berlin for record store day. The street behind my flat had Audio In. Tiny little store with some gems.

Heardy

@Maagge you make it to RSD?

Got to my local store at 03:40 and was 7th in the queue.

Got everything I wanted and impulse purchased a couple more. £200 later...

Knackered but great experience and will def do it next year.

Maagge

@Maagge you make it to RSD?

Got to my local store at 03:40 and was 7th in the queue.

Got everything I wanted and impulse purchased a couple more. £200 later...

Knackered but great experience and will def do it next year.
I kinda ended up getting a bit drunk at my downstairs neighbours' so I only got to the store right when it opened at 9 am. More than an hour later freezing my balls off in the queue outside and the records I wanted were gone. I got another one I've been wanting for some years though.
I'll have to get up earlier next year I think.

What did you get?

Stookie

Nurse bell end
All I know is my brother had a vast record collection around 2000 albums but he decided to leave them in the garage. After a couple of years a few of them warped so he skipped the whole lot as he now had them all on cd. Some pretty rare ones as well. I was sick.

Heardy

I kinda ended up getting a bit drunk at my downstairs neighbours' so I only got to the store right when it opened at 9 am. More than an hour later freezing my balls off in the queue outside and the records I wanted were gone. I got another one I've been wanting for some years though.
I'll have to get up earlier next year I think.

What did you get?
The Crow OST
Lost in Translation OST
Chase and Status - No More Idols
Olafur Arnalds - Re-member
Prince - His Majesty’s Pop Life
Robyn - Body Talk
The Prodigy - Fight Fire with Fire
Rolling Stones - She’s a Rainbow
Madness - One Step Beyond

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
I made this today

Gonna add a third row on top and make it span the wall on the left at some point soon. I'm happy with it for now though!

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Spent enough in my youth on vinyl so not going to do it all over again now.

Used to have some incredibly rare stuff but sold most of it.

JmRssll555

I recently started following @CheapIndieVinyl on Twitter - they basically retweet good deals, with links, at independent record shops.

The only trouble I've found is that usually the independent places charge £3-5 for delivery, which makes any 'bargain' much less of a bargain.

Heardy

Thanks for the link @JmRssll555, will definitely check them out.

I've built up a collection of c.350 records since Dec 2016. I need to speak to my home insurance provider really and confirm whether i should add the collection to it. I had assumed not, as individual items not crazy expensive, but as a whole it adds up.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
When buying a vinyl, how much do you pay attention to the 'pressing' or version of it? Is there really as much difference in sound between different pressings - i.e. enough for someone like me who casually buys these records would notice? Going by some forums and discussions around the internet, most pressings sound like shite for most albums, except for that one pressing that costs €100+

DavelinaJolie

I made this today

Gonna add a third row on top and make it span the wall on the left at some point soon. I'm happy with it for now though!
Nice!

I'm in the process of selling off a bunch of my music collection, but there are some vinyl I'll never part with and want to put on display. I like what you've done!

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
When buying a vinyl, how much do you pay attention to the 'pressing' or version of it? Is there really as much difference in sound between different pressings - i.e. enough for someone like me who casually buys these records would notice? Going by some forums and discussions around the internet, most pressings sound like shite for most albums, except for that one pressing that costs €100+
Some reissues sound better than the original, particularly if the original pressing was 1xLP and the reissue is 2xLP, which is fairly common at the minute.

I always assumed the demand for first pressings was a collector thing more than anything.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
Nice!

I'm in the process of selling off a bunch of my music collection, but there are some vinyl I'll never part with and want to put on display. I like what you've done!
Damn those walls look so empty in that picture, I added a few more after that :lol: A slightly more updated picture

It's a fun thing to do and to have IMO, I recommend it :D