Music Vinyl Records - Bargains, Sales, New Releases etc.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Some reissues sound better than the original, particularly if the original pressing was 1xLP and the reissue is 2xLP, which is fairly common at the minute.

I always assumed the demand for first pressings was a collector thing more than anything.
Yeah I don't really mean reissues vs originals - I'm more wondering about the best pressing (as agreed by a forum of audiophiles) versus a standard enough pressing from a well known company.

Conor

I am spending way too much money on vinyl singles every month. It's so easy to rack up an expensive basket on discogs.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Car boot sales are starting up again near me. Might have to go on a record hunt soon.

Heardy

I’ve been collecting for 4.5 years and am just shy of 400 albums now. Median Discogs value is over £9000. Worse vices I suppose, but it’s an expensive hobby.

2 man midfield

Ive only ever seen the likes of Barbara Streisand, Cliff Richard and Barry Manilow at car boots.
Went to one before lockdown and it was an old fella selling his life’s collection. Must’ve spent an hour on it.

2 man midfield

Amazing - you pick up any gems?
Yeah a few, he wasn’t daft so they were all about a tenner each but I was just happy to find a record stall with stuff I liked on it rather than novelty records and stuff nobody wants.

In a way that adds to the fun though doesn’t it? Sifting through shite to find something decent makes it more special when you do.

Heardy

Yeah a few, he wasn’t daft so they were all about a tenner each but I was just happy to find a record stall with stuff I liked on it rather than novelty records and stuff nobody wants.

In a way that adds to the fun though doesn’t it? Sifting through shite to find something decent makes it more special when you do.
100% mate - I love a bit of crate digging.

I’ve been collecting for 4.5 years and am just shy of 400 albums now. Median Discogs value is over £9000. Worse vices I suppose, but it’s an expensive hobby.
it’s addictive! The median value I have is about £17k - please don’t tell the Mrs…

It’s about 700 records, and Been going about the same. Around 150 signed.

thank goodness for Discogs, as I kept buying records I already have… would be good to have some sort of pre-order function as I’ve also ordered multiple copies on pre order as I forget, especially with records with long lead times.

Heardy

it’s addictive! The median value I have is about £17k - please don’t tell the Mrs…

It’s about 700 records, and Been going about the same. Around 150 signed.

thank goodness for Discogs, as I kept buying records I already have… would be good to have some sort of pre-order function as I’ve also ordered multiple copies on pre order as I forget, especially with records with long lead times.
:lol: I’ve had to check Discogs so many times if I already own a record or not. Believe it or not, I’ve only ordered from Discogs for the first time today!

I think the only signed records I have are Sleaford Mods and Celeste. They new releases you’ve bought directly from artists sites etc.?

I thought my buying was bad - 700 in 5 years is incredible.

I recently removed the records/inners and store them in an outer sleeve behind the cover to remove wear/tear, but they take up so much more room that way.

:lol: I’ve had to check Discogs so many times if I already own a record or not. Believe it or not, I’ve only ordered from Discogs for the first time today!

I think the only signed records I have are Sleaford Mods and Celeste. They new releases you’ve bought directly from artists sites etc.?

I thought my buying was bad - 700 in 5 years is incredible.

I recently removed the records/inners and store them in an outer sleeve behind the cover to remove wear/tear, but they take up so much more room that way.
I’m definitely addicted! I’ve got most of what I wanted now, so will definitely slow down now.

before the pandemic I would go to Rough Trade in East London at least a couple of times of month for performances/ signings, and when I’d go I would take a couple of records from their back catalogue to sign as well. So the likes of Ride, Primal Scream, Manics, Feeder, Ian Brown, John Grant, Feeder, Keane, Blossoms, Paul Draper and many more. So probably half of the signed records are personalised to me.

the rest are new releases either direct from the artist or from recordstore who do quite a bit of signed stuff.

bandcamp is also pretty good, as you can after get things personalised by the artist.

I’m in the middle of building a cabin in the back garden where the records will go along with a Pro-Ject X2 that I’ve just got - so when that’s finished I will have somewhere really good to enjoy listening to music.

once I’m ready to start moving the records to the cabin, I might start to do the some with the sleeves. Bloody mammoth and expensive job. But worth the effort. The amount of space a record collection takes up really starts to get big!

Heardy

I’m definitely addicted! I’ve got most of what I wanted now, so will definitely slow down now.

before the pandemic I would go to Rough Trade in East London at least a couple of times of month for performances/ signings, and when I’d go I would take a couple of records from their back catalogue to sign as well. So the likes of Ride, Primal Scream, Manics, Feeder, Ian Brown, John Grant, Feeder, Keane, Blossoms, Paul Draper and many more. So probably half of the signed records are personalised to me.

the rest are new releases either direct from the artist or from recordstore who do quite a bit of signed stuff.

bandcamp is also pretty good, as you can after get things personalised by the artist.

I’m in the middle of building a cabin in the back garden where the records will go along with a Pro-Ject X2 that I’ve just got - so when that’s finished I will have somewhere really good to enjoy listening to music.

once I’m ready to start moving the records to the cabin, I might start to do the some with the sleeves. Bloody mammoth and expensive job. But worth the effort. The amount of space a record collection takes up really starts to get big!
Thats ace mate. Wish I lived closer to Rough Trade.

Recommend the Spincare outer sleeves on Amazon - £17 for 100. Gets expensive when you start buying mo-fi inners too!

Record Store Day today and I spent £260 - I swear I should have picked a cheaper hobby!!
that’s about what I spent!

was quite pleased to have been able to get everything I wanted online, rather than go to the shop.

what did you get?

I went for:

Bernard Butler
Garbage
Elastica
Primal Scream
Ocean Colour Scene
Help
Prince
Mansun

everything aside from Prince I was able to get from Banquet Records in Kingston. I was pretty confident as they didn’t have the shop open today, so online only.

Heardy

that’s about what I spent!

was quite pleased to have been able to get everything I wanted online, rather than go to the shop.

what did you get?

I went for:

Bernard Butler
Garbage
Elastica
Primal Scream
Ocean Colour Scene
Help
Prince
Mansun

everything aside from Prince I was able to get from Banquet Records in Kingston. I was pretty confident as they didn’t have the shop open today, so online only.
Great stuff! My mate was first in line at our local store but was there at 2:45 this morning. Queues today were longer than I’ve ever seen them. I got there at 8 for when store opened but i didn’t get inside until 11. Fewer people willing to queue in the cold in April…

I bought:

Amy Winehouse - Remixes
Freddie Gibbs / Madlib - Pinata
Linkin Park - Meteora
Nubya Garcia - Source
Lupe Fiasco - Food & Liquor
Tatu - 200 km/h
Incredible Bongo Band - Bongo Rocks
Ariana Grande - K, Bye for now

Lupe Fiasco was £70 on its own.

Pisses me off no end to see others I wanted like Wolf Alice, Prince etc being flipped for twice the price on EBay.

Great stuff! My mate was first in line at our local store but was there at 2:45 this morning. Queues today were longer than I’ve ever seen them. I got there at 8 for when store opened but i didn’t get inside until 11. Fewer people willing to queue in the cold in April…

I bought:

Amy Winehouse - Remixes
Freddie Gibbs / Madlib - Pinata
Linkin Park - Meteora
Nubya Garcia - Source
Lupe Fiasco - Food & Liquor
Tatu - 200 km/h
Incredible Bongo Band - Bongo Rocks
Ariana Grande - K, Bye for now

Lupe Fiasco was £70 on its own.

Pisses me off no end to see others I wanted like Wolf Alice, Prince etc being flipped for twice the price on EBay.
its disgraceful. Most of the time the prices calm down about a month later - and I’ve got a few things that are now worth about £3 from RSD.

I’m surprised about Prince - as i’d assumed it would be a massive run. I had to go to about 15 online stores as 6pm to find someone who had it in stock.

did you get a good number Lupe Fiasco?

i couldn’t bring myself to buy wolf Alice - I already have 4 copies!

Heardy

its disgraceful. Most of the time the prices calm down about a month later - and I’ve got a few things that are now worth about £3 from RSD.

I’m surprised about Prince - as i’d assumed it would be a massive run. I had to go to about 15 online stores as 6pm to find someone who had it in stock.

did you get a good number Lupe Fiasco?

i couldn’t bring myself to buy wolf Alice - I already have 4 copies!
4 copies :lol: - different colour variants etc??

Not really a great number - 2838 of 7000.

I agree with Prince - you did well to find one online.

Gaga prices on Ebay are mental

4 copies :lol: - different colour variants etc??

Not really a great number - 2838 of 7000.

I agree with Prince - you did well to find one online.

Gaga prices on Ebay are mental
I thought about getting the Gaga one - just because I thought it would skyrocket. But decided against it, as I do try to buy stuff I want to play (exception being to be completist for a select few artists).

ref Wolf Alice - it wasn’t planned…

I bought the 1921 version from HMV
I subscribe to Rough Trade - and their record of the month is - Wolf Alice
Then Banquet Records released some ‘personally signed’ versions - so bought the red and standard versions signed to yours truly…

I should be able to return the HMV version and the Rough Trade one.