Virgil van Dijk | OFFICIAL: Liverpool agree £75m fee (£70m upfront) with Southampton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havak

Pokemon master
Money has gone crazy. Probably means Coutinho is off, though.

I know Lukaku isn't in great form right now, but in the Premier League you'd still have to rate him as one of the top centre forwards. I don't think Van Dijk is anywhere near being as good a CB as Lukaku is a striker... Can't believe that sum. Southampton are just rinsing Liverpool there, but if you're desperate in January you're going to overpay drastically anyway. They do need a CB, but I'm not sure he is going to improve their defence that much. I reckon fans of most sides could rattle off 10 CB's in our League they'd rather have (and likely cost less).

However, I suppose it could be the difference in the end though and if it means they finished 4th, not 5th, you'd have to say it was worth the money?

Castia

Seventy five fecking million.....absolutely insane for a defender.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
The market, if possible, just got even more inflated.

Shopping around for us will be a fecking joy.

Nick7

Bizarre. Good player, but not the kind you spunk that much on. Will he even sort out their defence?

haram

Where's the Klopp quotes about him not spending crazy money :lol::lol::lol:

Red_toad

Same fee as we paid for Lukaku, lets see which team benefits most before we ridicule the pool. No idea how Liverpool can afford this deal at quoted fee.

Seems that Jose had a point with his recent statements on transfers after all....

Havak

Pokemon master
Feck sake, VVD and Keita now. Granted, VVD isn’t worth half of the fee, however Keita most definitely is. They’ve got two brilliant players in their prime. How the feck are Liverpool attracting these players over their more illustrious rivals? Liverpool could seriously mount a title challenge next season.
Hate to admit it, but if they got a good goalkeeper, they'd actually have an argument for the first time in a while. Although, I think they'd still be at least a full back short, and might need an actual striker of some pedigree as well. I think Coutinho and Sturridge won't be there next season.

haram

Feck sake, VVD and Keita now. Granted, VVD isn’t worth half of the fee, however Keita most definitely is. They’ve got two brilliant players in their prime. How the feck are Liverpool attracting these players over their more illustrious rivals? Liverpool could seriously mount a title challenge next season.
No they wont :lol: Coutinho is off anyway

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Just think about some of the top class players who have gone for less than that just in the past year or two. Not even CB's either. Liverpool will pay more for him than we payed for Morata. Insanity.

Damn am I glad we're set at CB. Christensen is only 21 and I think better than VVD. He was a free transfer. Rüdiger was "only" about 30m and he's been great for us this season. Don't think VVD offers anything that he doesn't.

NotBrendanRodgers honest

Supports
Liverpool
Jurgen Klopp

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Keita is awesome and well worth the price tag.
Find it hard to believe that if he was as good as people are saying Liverpool were able to get him without much competition. Why didn't a perennial title challenger scoop him up?

LoCalXT

It crazy we see teams getting better and we laugh at them. They needed a defender and they got one. We on the other hand beat around the bush instead of buying the players we actually need. We have a 36+ year old as a back up striker yet we are laughing at teams that are actually upgrading their talent.

NotBrendanRodgers honest

Supports
Liverpool
Hate to admit it, but if they got a good goalkeeper, they'd actually have an argument for the first time in a while. Although, I think they'd still be at least a full back short, and might need an actual striker of some pedigree as well. I think Coutinho and Sturridge won't be there next season.
Firmino has 16 goals and 8 assists in 29 games and presses/works very hard for the team. Having an out and out striker wouldn't work for us, it would hinder our attack

Kapardin

We need to get our transfers right. It is fecking annoying that every rival signs a random player every summer who turns out to be an absolute game-changer and elevates their whole team. While we faff around signing the likes of Mkhitaryan and Lukaku.

Sylar

I'd bet good money that Liverpool will still struggle defensively even with VVD.
Theyve conceded goals from set pieces not involving CBs. Granted he might help organize it a bit better, but from what ive seen, hes not been great for Southampton. Theres a chance he might have been phoning it in trying not to get injured for this move to happen however.

I think hes an upgrade on their current CBs though.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Find it hard to believe that if he was as good as people are saying Liverpool were able to get him without much competition. Why didn't a perennial title challenger scoop him up?
He'd only been at Leipzig for a year so guess other teams don't want to take the risk (or were sorted in that position).
It crazy we see teams getting better and we laugh at them. They needed a defender and they got one. We on the other hand beat around the bush instead of buying the players we actually need. We have a 36+ year old as a back up striker yet we are laughing at teams that are actually upgrading their talent.
They needed a goalkeeper more and don't seem to be linked to one.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
They got Salah, Mane, Firmino, and Coutinho without competition too. Spurs got Eriksen and Alli without competition. City got KDB, Sane and Jesus without competition.

I'd say the main reason is that no other top club wanted a near 60m midfielder, especially if they had to wait a year to get him.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Didn't they say they were going to stay away from VVD after the scandal in the summer?
Or was that just for the next couple days, and after that it didn't matter anymore?

Bojan11

We need to get our transfers right. It is fecking annoying that every rival signs a random player every summer who turns out to be an absolute game-changer and elevates their whole team. While we faff around signing the likes of Mkhitaryan and Lukaku.
VVD hasn’t played well for the best part of a year. The fact he probably downed tool shows what a character he is.

Not sure why people are getting annoyed over this. They wasted most their Coutinho funds on him.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Just think about some of the top class players who have gone for less than that just in the past year or two. Not even CB's either. Liverpool will pay more for him than we payed for Morata. Insanity.

Damn am I glad we're set at CB. Christensen is only 21 and I think better than VVD. He was a free transfer. Rüdiger was "only" about 30m and he's been great for us this season. Don't think VVD offers anything that he doesn't.
Christensen? I thought you were a United fan.

Havak

Pokemon master
Firmino has 16 goals and 8 assists in 29 games and presses/works very hard for the team. Having an out and out striker wouldn't work for us, it would hinder our attack
Wouldn't have to be first choice, but IMO you need that extra dimension because time and time again, whichever team you talk about, Plan A never works every time.

Kapardin

VVD hasn’t played well for the best part of a year. The fact he probably downed tool shows what a character he is.

Not sure why people are getting annoyed over this. They wasted most their Coutinho funds on him.
I was talking about Keita more, actually. I am not too worried about Liverpool, we actually finished above them 3 times out of the 4 banter years we had and won 2 trophies in that time.

I am angrier at our scouting policy. It is literally non-existent bar chasing superstars like Griezmann, Pogba etc -- players that even I could scout at first glance. What about unearthing some lesser names who turn out to be great, we never seem to do that. If we do sign such players, like Herrera or Depay, they turn out to be shite.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
Same fee as we paid for Lukaku, lets see which team benefits most before we ridicule the pool. No idea how Liverpool can afford this deal at quoted fee.

Seems that Jose had a point with his recent statements on transfers after all....
Cause Klopp has a net spend of €50M before Keita and VVD. If they sell Sturridge/Coutinho, he´ll have changed over the whole starting 11 except for Mignolet/Henderson for €50M.

BAJAMCSE

What more illustrious rivals are there than Liverpool in the Premier League? Manchester United are a par, albeit with bigger money. The rest are just plastic oil clubs.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
It isn't crazy money anymore. Just the way the transfer market is now.
It is.

It's a world record for a defender.

He has only played 67 games in a top league. He is nearly 27.

For that sort of money you would want a more proven player.

Status
Not open for further replies.