Virgil van Dijk | OFFICIAL: Liverpool agree £75m fee (£70m upfront) with Southampton

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoCalXT

He'd only been at Leipzig for a year so guess other teams don't want to take the risk (or were sorted in that position).

They needed a goalkeeper more and don't seem to be linked to one.
Besides the arsenal game , put De Gea in consecutive games like that and he WILL also concede. Mignolet is not world class but he is good enough for a PL side.

And Keita is tailor made for the PL , qoute this and come back next season. Bottom line is teams are improving and we are playing around in the transfer market.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
They needed a goalkeeper more and don't seem to be linked to one.
Yes, the GK position is a tough one. Klopp already tried an upgrade with Karius and it didn't go well.
Personally I don't think Klopp handled this well, benching Karius because of public pressure. The time to give him a run even in face of patchy performances was then, it's passed now, and Karius has looked shaky ever since.
(obviously I can't know for sure whether it was indeed the public criticism which led Klopp to take Karius out of the team, or bad training performances)
Mignolet had seemed to step up and he has been pretty great, mostly, but he has the uncanny trait of letting his team down badly in rare, but really decisive moments. The Arsenal game blunder was one such moment.

However, it's not easy or simple to get a clear upgrade just like that.
If Koeln get relegated (which they will), Timo Horn should be leaving in summer and Klopp might go for him. I'm not sure about suitable candidates from other leagues.

Rooney1987

It crazy we see teams getting better and we laugh at them. They needed a defender and they got one. We on the other hand beat around the bush instead of buying the players we actually need. We have a 36+ year old as a back up striker yet we are laughing at teams that are actually upgrading their talent.
No one is laughing at them getting better. The fee. VVD is a very good defender and does make them better. 75mil is elite defender money even in this current market. It's fair to question that fee.

haram

It crazy we see teams getting better and we laugh at them. They needed a defender and they got one. We on the other hand beat around the bush instead of buying the players we actually need. We have a 36+ year old as a back up striker yet we are laughing at teams that are actually upgrading their talent.
Liverpool need more than just a CB but ok.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It's most likely going to be the make or break signing for Klopp. Either he establishes them firmly in top 4 (which I don't see happening with this level of competition) or he gets the sack if they finish poorly

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
It's most likely going to be the make or break signing for Klopp. Either he establishes them firmly in top 4 (which I don't see happening with this level of competition) or he gets the sack if they finish poorly
No he won't. They can't attract anyone more suitable or better than him.

Klopp has a job there as long as he wants.

Fridge chutney

Find it hard to believe that if he was as good as people are saying Liverpool were able to get him without much competition. Why didn't a perennial title challenger scoop him up?
The Klopp effect I imagine. Liverpool likely have an advantage in the German market.

That's why Ozil will replace Coutinho :wenger:

LoCalXT

No one is laughing at them getting better. The fee. VVD is a very good defender and does make them better. 75mil is elite defender money even in this current market. It's fair to question that fee.
After
After the Mbappe deal , this shouldnt come as a shocker. VVD is a PROVEN player in the PL.

Kapardin

I beg to differ. Liverpool unfortunately seem to be getting their act together. They have the best home defensive record (which is pretty amazing considering their state at the back) and their attack is on fire at the moment. Out of the three - Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool - the momentum is with Liverpool to finish in the top 4. They might even push us and Chelsea all the way to second.

Get ready for a fight if we don't improve our performances immediately.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
I wouldn´t have paid that much for a 27 year old defender. I still can´t believe nobody snatched Christensen last summer. I bet Chelsea would have sold him for €30-40M. They wouldn´t have bought Rudiger, if they really rated Christensen. Gladbach couldn´t stretch that far financially, but Dortmund or any team in need of a central defenders should have known.

If TAA (RB) and Gomez (CB) can establish themselves as starters the fee won´t hurt as much.

anant

No he won't. They can't attract anyone more suitable or better than him.

Klopp has a job there as long as he wants.
Nah. The thing with these big money transfers is that the owners want the amount repaid in some form. I just don't see Klopp managing to justify this spend

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
It's fantastic stuff from the club - we now have an elite centre back and with Keita, an elite midfielder coming in the summer. Two huge upgrades to our much maligned spine. Couldn't care less about the fee and here's hoping for a GK and a DM next.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Besides the arsenal game , put De Gea in consecutive games like that and he WILL also concede. Mignolet is not world class but he is good enough for a PL side.

And Keita is tailor made for the PL , qoute this and come back next season. Bottom line is teams are improving and we are playing around in the transfer market.
Same applies to Hart... just about - and you wouldn't want him in a side wanting to challenge for the title or trophies. De Gea has played plenty of games for us where our defence was a mess and has saved us loads of points. Mignolet costs Liverpool points. How many times over the last few seasons have they been 2 or 3 up and ended up conceding 2 or 3 goals?

I wouldn´t have paid that much for a 27 year old defender. I still can´t believe nobody snatched Christensen last summer. I bet Chelsea would have sold him for €30-40M. They wouldn´t have bought Rudiger, if they really rated Christensen. Gladbach couldn´t stretch that far financially, but Dortmund or any team in need of a central defenders should have known.

If TAA (RB) and Gomez (CB) can establish themselves as starters the fee won´t hurt as much.
I think the signing of Rudiger was more to do with Conte not rating Zouma.

SwansonsTache

Nah. The thing with these big money transfers is that the owners want the amount repaid in some form. I just don't see Klopp managing to justify this spend
The purchase is most likely funded by the very possible upcoming sale of Coutinho to Barcelona. I just don't see FSG shelling out a combined £140m for two players.

United Pro

£75m is madness, but he's a top CB. Now that Liverpool have spent £66m on Keita and £75m on Van Dijk, their transfer spending is considerably more than ours. I see a Coutinho departure imminent.

He's not better than Smalling.
He's considerably better than Smalling on the ball, but Smalling is superior defensively. I'd want £50m for Smalling if we sell lol.

Ady87

Being a Fantasy Football addict I’ve kept an eye on him this season.

Played 90 mins 11 times, one clean sheet, and that’s with Forster and Bertrand who are normally solid. Hardly grabbing games by the scruff of the neck. If they skip him next to Klavan and retain Mignolet and Moreno they’ll be barely better off. Good job they’ve got some very promising fullbacks coming through.

Fridge chutney

It's fantastic stuff from the club - we now have an elite centre back and with Keita, an elite midfielder coming in the summer. Two huge upgrades to our much maligned spine. Couldn't care less about the fee and here's hoping for a GK and a DM next.
Objectively 2 excellent signings because they directly address areas of weakness.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

Played 90 mins 11 times, one clean sheet, and that’s with Forster and Bertrand who are normally solid. Hardly grabbing games by the scruff of the neck. If they skip him next to Klavan and retain Mignolet and Moreno they’ll be barely better off. Good job they’ve got some very promising fullbacks coming through.
Why would they do that? They've got Matip.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
Liverpool's net spending since Klopp arrived 2 year ago has been like 50m €. I doubt the owners are getting nervous about money.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
That's a huge chunk of money upfront, fantastic negotiating from Southampton.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
£75m? For a Southampton centre back.

How much when they want a top striker then?

anant

I beg to differ. Liverpool unfortunately seem to be getting their act together. They have the best home defensive record (which is pretty amazing considering their state at the back) and their attack is on fire at the moment. Out of the three - Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool - the momentum is with Liverpool to finish in the top 4. They might even push us and Chelsea all the way to second.

Get ready for a fight if we don't improve our performances immediately.
If youre spending 75m on a defender, you need to recover that money through results for owners to believe that they made the right decision. So, even if they do finish 4th (which I highly doubt despite their front 3 being in red hot form), they would need to have a great next season as well and knowing Pool, it's not so easy

Bojan11

Elite?

Wouldn’t go that far. He couldn’t even displace Ron Vlaar out of the Dutch team.

I think he’s a good defender who you have overpaid massively for. But he’s certainly not elite.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
That's a huge chunk of money upfront, fantastic negotiating from Southampton.
Liverpool will probably sell them Sturridge for 40M. :lol: They sell really well to keep the net spend down.

SwansonsTache

Hmmm,my Liverpool supporting pal was confident over Xmas he was theirs and I didn't take him seriously as I thought he was city bound.
City will get Alderweireld for a discount price due to contract issues and be much better off, the cnuts.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Find it hard to believe that if he was as good as people are saying Liverpool were able to get him without much competition. Why didn't a perennial title challenger scoop him up?
I can't tell whether he is worth it or not, but perennial title challengers want players immediately for said challenges, not in a year's time.

haram

Tbf Southampton have been really bad this year.

anant

Liverpool's net spending since Klopp arrived 2 year ago has been like 50m €. I doubt the owners are getting nervous about money.
The purchase is most likely funded by the very possible upcoming sale of Coutinho to Barcelona. I just don't see FSG shelling out a combined £140m for two players.
Sure enough, it may be coming from Coutinho's sale, but remember the summer when they sold Suarez and bought a shit load of players? It was basically from his sale, but the entire amount was wasted and if the signing doesn't work out well or they finish in EL places instead of top 4, he'll be under tremendous pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.