Virgil van Dijk | OFFICIAL: Liverpool agree £75m fee (£70m upfront) with Southampton

Status
Not open for further replies.

izec

Top defender, Liverpool doing it right. Next season no one will care how much they spend on him and Keita. The right way to do it if you want to be competitive. They got their CB in the end. We need to fo it the same way, feck about value

Fridge chutney

Lukaku will never be a bargain at 75m.
By that logic VVD, who at 27, is even less likely to be a bargain. He's aalso spent a worrying amount of time on the treatment table recently.

Lukaku may have gone through some shaky form, but his goals have won us points that we didn't get last season.

Bojan11

It's crazy money, but no one will care if he is a good signing.

Ferdinand took a while to justify his fee (30m was insane in 2002), but it wasn't a talking point even then as he was still good enough.
Considering Ferdinand was one of the best defenders in the world and proved that at the World Cup in 2002 made his price go up plus the Leeds factor.

This is not even a comparison.

Mindhunter

The whole market is insane now, with relatively conservative clubs like Liverpool (off late) splashing big money for non-attacking players. I believe the days of one or two teams dominating the league are really at an end.

While I don't expect all their defensive troubles to disappear magically, anyone with a brain will agree that they will definitely save more points with him manning their defence. I see Liverpool seriously challenging for top 3 (provided others don't strengthen over the winter).

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
It's crazy money, but no one will care if he is a good signing.

Ferdinand took a while to justify his fee (30m was insane in 2002), but it wasn't a talking point even then as he was still good enough.
Might be controversial but I'd be willing to bet he'll be a better signing at 70 than Lukaku was at 90.

He's the right type of player you need and potentially future captain material if he lives up to the hype of his breakthrough seasons.

AshRK

Lukaku will never be a bargain at 75m.
Lukaku is more proven than VVD and is a striker and is 24. VVD a defender who has played just 64 odd games in PL , has less than 20 international caps and is 26. Surely this deal makes Lukaku look like a bargain.

Oneunited26

Top defender, Liverpool doing it right. Next season no one will care how much they spend on him and Keita. The right way to do it if you want to be competitive. They got their CB in the end. We need to fo it the same way, feck about value
That ship sailed the moment we sold ronaldo and replaced him with what we got, and still we playing valencia and young has wingbacks lol, while jones and smalling continue the feck ups lol

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
By that logic VVD, who at 27, is even less likely to be a bargain.
I don't expect he will. If he improves us significantly, that's ok. I'd rather overpay for top talent than get a bargain squaddie at this stage.

redNATION

If anything, liverpool are now following us, after years of claiming we buy our way to the top. We will continue to spend big, the question is whether liverpool can, to me it seems like this (and Keita) are being funded by Coutinho's sale.

PepsiCola

By that logic VVD, who at 27, is even less likely to be a bargain. He's aalso spent a worrying amount of time on the treatment table recently.

Lukaku may have gone through some shaky form, but his goals have won us points that we didn't get last season.
He's lost us a fair amount of points lately too.

Lukaku looks nothing like a 75 million striker. I doubt he will anytime soon.

Van Djik could end up having a greater, positive, impact for Liverpool than Lukaku for United. Let's not laugh too soon - he goes a long way to filling a major gap in Liverpool's team.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Might be controversial but I'd be willing to bet he'll be a better signing at 70 than Lukaku was at 90.

He's the right type of player you need and potentially future captain material if he lives up to the hype of his breakthrough seasons.
Lukaku wasn't 90. He cost us the same as van Dijk cost Liverpool.

Bojan11

Strange comment to make considering what the club paid for Pogba and Lukaku. We just need to identify the right players for us. That’s more our issue rather than transfer fees.

AshRK

Pogba - yes, Lukaku - no!
Lukaku is more proven than VVD and is a striker and is 24. VVD a defender who has played just 64 odd games in PL , has less than 20 international caps and is 26. Surely this deal makes Lukaku look like a bargain.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Considering Ferdinand was one of the best defenders in the world and proved that at the World Cup in 2002 made his price go up plus the Leeds factor.

This is not even a comparison.
I am not saying he will be as good as ferdinand.

Only that the price was quickly forgotten even though ferdinand went through some shaky spells in his early years for you.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I wouldn´t have paid that much for a 27 year old defender. I still can´t believe nobody snatched Christensen last summer. I bet Chelsea would have sold him for €30-40M. They wouldn´t have bought Rudiger, if they really rated Christensen. Gladbach couldn´t stretch that far financially, but Dortmund or any team in need of a central defenders should have known.

If TAA (RB) and Gomez (CB) can establish themselves as starters the fee won´t hurt as much.
Bet Chelsea are relieved they didn't sell Christensen.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
First big move of the window made, I think we’ll see a few this January made by the big clubs.

Still, £75m for a bloke that hasn’t played much this season is bonkers, saints have took Liverpool to the cleaners there!
Maybe Liverpool tries the other way around. Instead of letting Coutinho´s fee dictate VVD´s fee, they be like: listen Barcelona defenders go for €90M these days, so Coutinho is €200M. :houllier:

In all seriousness they sort of re-established a high base fee for Coutinho, a player they don´t necessarily want to sell. If Barcelona (due to their own recent success) don´t want to pay close to the 150M anymore, Liverpool will just keep him. That way they keep buying time and strengthen the squad. That being said I can see Baecelona announce Couintho tomorrow.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I stand corrected. Either way I think Van Dijk will be the better signing and makes more sense to me.

tonnas

I dont want us to spend 75m on aerage players.. VVD is good but not great...

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Keita and VVD next season. Liverpool are looking impressive.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Let's wait for him to play some games.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Has he not been poor for a while now? That fee is utterly astonishing. Most ridiculous fee ever but that’s the way it’s gone.

Bratt

We’ll see, I have a feeling VVD will turn out to be a better signing for Liverpool than Lukaku will be for us. Hope I’m wrong though.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
That is liverpool signing Keita for 60 million and VVD for 75 million. That is ambitious, their transfer strategy is very impressive, think they beat city to him which i think is fantastic. Liverpool have spent 215 million this year (80 for summer+60 for keita + 75 million for VVD) That is huge huge money from a club that is not known to spend this big. Are they using coutinho money? or do they have this money. Mourinho will be pointing to ED, to show him what ambition looks like. Great signing from Pool, a good keeper and they will have a great great first team.

kundalini

Lukaku £75m + up to £15m in add-ons

Van Dijk £70m + up to £5m in add-ons

My understanding is that the £15m of add-ons are relatively easily achieved so the eventual fee will be far closer to £90m than £75m.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I am not saying he will be as good as ferdinand.

Only that the price was quickly forgotten even though ferdinand went through some shaky spells in his early years for you.
Ferdinand was 23 though. At van Dijk's age you'll not be wanting any shaky spells at all as he should be entering his prime years. We'll see how he does the rest of the season but up until now he's been a bit poor.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Has he not been poor for a while now? That fee is utterly astonishing. Most ridiculous fee ever but that’s the way it’s gone.
To be fair he wasn't playing to full capacity and looked very half arsed in challenges. All in all very unprofessional imo but I doubt Liverpool fans will give a flying feck now that he's theirs and going to trying his best under Klopp.

DomesticTadpole

Don't think he'll end up living up to that price tag.
The price tag could put more pressure on him. OK Celtic are a big club, but in a small league and no pressure. Southampton there is no pressure. Now he is at a big club where every mistake will be scrutinised to death.

Ban

Southampton is fast becoming Liverpool's feeder club.

Lovren looked good at Southampton too. I'm not saying VVD will be like him but..

Dave89

You get a job at sky sports?

DomesticTadpole

To be fair he wasn't playing to full capacity and looked very half arsed in challenges. All in all very unprofessional imo but I doubt Liverpool fans will give a flying feck now that he's theirs and going to trying his best under Klopp.
They will, if he looks half decent and one of the big Spanish teams start looking at him. Doesn't seem a very nice character to be honest.

Nero

Every time one our rivals sign a player so many people completely lose their shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.