Virgil van Dijk | Performances

RooneyLegend

Considering I’ve played CB all my life I probably watched more than most. As I said in my post above. It’s not that I don’t rate Kompany as a good player. It’s just Rio and Vidic remain that much better. Unbelievable individuals, unbelievable partnership. I just don’t see a single attribute that Kompany really beats either in.
He was faster than Vidic and more physical than Rio. He stepped out of defence better than Rio. He used to literally bully Rooney at times in a way no defender could. He's obviously never played in a partnership as good as theirs but that's not his fault. What's he supposed to do with the likes of Lescott?

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
He was faster than Vidic and more physical than Rio. He stepped out of defence better than Rio. He used to literally bully Rooney at times in a way no defender could. He's obviously never played in a partnership as good as theirs but that's not his fault. What's he supposed to do with the likes of Lescott?
Fair enough if that’s what you think have to agree to disagree on this one. You asked why Kompany isn’t mentioned in these circles though and for most people that is the answer.

thepolice123

I think its a good move from him to skip the Euros. He still have a few years at the top. Not worth risking it to play the Euros.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Vidic is the best defender I have seen in the EPL followed by Stam. Carvalho also get a mention here
I think the English defenders like Rio and Terry get more media polishing of their legacy than others
If Vidic and Stam were English, there will probably be public holidays dedicated to them

I will still put VVD below Stam Vidic, Terry Carvalho Kompany

Dias wouldnt suddenly become the greatest defender on the back of 1great season

Stacks

My post is harsh and makes it out that I don’t rate Kompany at all. That couldn’t be further from the truth, he was a very good player on his day and I wouldn’t doubt the impact he had on that City team. Even despite this I think Vidic and Ferdinand are a class above. Ferdinand is the best CB in premier league history for me as he combined everything into a complete package and even has the mentality to boot. Vidic is the best 6 yard defender in premier league history. He remains the best defensive header of a ball I’ve ever seen and was an absolute warrior on the pitch. There’s not shame in Kompany not being in that class in my opinion.
i don't think City win the league with vidic in place of Vinny

Oranges038

In truth, none are as good as McGrath who could stop a team by himself. Van Djik is pretty much as good as any of the rest, although I'd still prefer Rio. Kompany is underrated in these conversations, Id have him ahead of Vida and Terry. Stam was a beast, I'd also have him ahead of Vida and Terry.
And he could stop Big Dunc while still drunk/hungover.

McGrath was a class above them all in terms of ability as a defender. No doubt about it.

But Vidic is better than the rest of them, bed rock of one of the most successful teams during his time at Utd and PL player of the year twice.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I think it works against Vidic and Ferdinand that they were a partnership, it means neither gets the individual credit they deserve. I really do think they are the best centre backs the prem has seen.

Stacks

Stacks

Vidic is the best defender I have seen in the EPL followed by Stam. Carvalho also get a mention here
I think the English defenders like Rio and Terry get more media polishing of their legacy than others
If Vidic and Stam were English, there will probably be public holidays dedicated to them

I will still put VVD below Stam Vidic, Terry Carvalho Kompany

Dias wouldnt suddenly become the greatest defender on the back of 1great season
I have more faith in Ferdinand pocketing top attackers than Vida. We won the leageu with Rio and Brown/Sylveste. Vidic just looked more dramatic

Eddy_JukeZ

Vidic needed a Ferdinand IMO. many can't even remember who played with Kompany. He won the league alongside Lescott and then Demichelis, Otamendi. You think Vida would make a title winning defence with them???
Don't you think Rio needed Vidic too though?

Kompany was a bit part player in 2017-2018 and 2018-2019 too. He only made 34 combined Prem appearances. Not going to credit him for 'leading' those title wins at all in defense.

Kompany never really performed well for City in the Champions League either.

I don't see why Vidic would be incapable of leading a title defense with those players.

criticalanalysis

The Vidic or Rio is a bit similar to Keane or Scholes imo.

One might be clearly the better player on ability (Rio/Scholes) but the other was by far a larger influence (Vidic/Keane).

I think the latter pair had an incredibly high lower ceiling and consistent high even if it wasn't as high as the other.

Of course the truth is that they complimented each other perfectly.

Eddy_JukeZ

The Vidic or Rio is a bit similar to Keane or Scholes imo.

One might be clearly the better player on ability (Rio/Scholes) but the other was by far a larger influence (Vidic/Keane).

I think the latter pair had an incredibly high lower ceiling and consistent high even if it wasn't as high as the other.

Of course the truth is that they complimented each other perfectly.
If your influence on the team is higher, doesn't that make you a better player outright?

Vidic needed a Ferdinand IMO. many can't even remember who played with Kompany. He won the league alongside Lescott and then Demichelis, Otamendi. You think Vida would make a title winning defence with them???
he didn’t need a Ferdinand. He had a Ferdinand. You can’t criticise him for not having a shit partner. You are now digging yourself a Kompany sized hole.

City won plenty without Kompany playing. Just look at how many games he missed in his last 5 years.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Didn’t Vidic also play well with Evans? (Wasn’t that the main partnership in that sick clean sheet run? Or have I made that up?)

I used to love watching crosses go into the box and it was almost like they were magnetised to Vidic’s head, some of his backs against the wall defensive performances were laughably good.

Anyway this is the VVD thread who is also a phenomenal defender.

Stacks

Don't you think Rio needed Vidic too though?

Kompany was a bit part player in 2017-2018 and 2018-2019 too. He only made 34 combined Prem appearances. Not going to credit him for 'leading' those title wins at all in defense.

Kompany never really performed well for City in the Champions League either.

I don't see why Vidic would be incapable of leading a title defense with those players.
nope. As pointed out he won titles alongside Brown or Sylveste.

I appreciate Kompany missed a hell of alot of games but his return to the team helped City go crazy and keep Liverpool at bay in 2019 by going undefeated run. How do you assess he hasn't played well in the CL? Did he personally play badly?

Eddy_JukeZ

I appreciate Kompany missed a hell of alot of games but his return to the team helped City go crazy and keep Liverpool at bay in 2019 by going undefeated run. How do you assess he hasn't played well in the CL? Did he personally play badly?
Do you think he's had a memorable performance in the knockout stages of the Champions League for City?

He was fairly average/poor when they got knocked out in the group stages in 2 successive campaigns.

Stacks

Do you think he's had a memorable performance in the knockout stages of the Champions League for City?

He was fairly average/poor when they got knocked out in the group stages in 2 successive campaigns.
maybe he wouldn't have been with Rio? Its hard to compare them because Vidic played alongside a gentleman who imo was better than he (Vidic) was.

Stacks

he didn’t need a Ferdinand. He had a Ferdinand. You can’t criticise him for not having a shit partner. You are now digging yourself a Kompany sized hole.

City won plenty without Kompany playing. Just look at how many games he missed in his last 5 years.
And what of that?? They won via the strenght of their attacking options. Are you proclaiming that Demichelis and Otamendi are great defensive partners?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Kompany was very good. Nowhere near Vidic though who was much better defensively. Bullied Rooney. Smalling has bullied Kane and Lukakau before. In tight games defenders have an advantage. Rooney is twice the PL legwnd kompany can ever dream of being.

amolbhatia50k

Didn’t Vidic also play well with Evans? (Wasn’t that the main partnership in that sick clean sheet run? Or have I made that up?)
Absolutely. People just like pretending Vidic needed babysitting which is laughable. Rio needed him as much as he needed Rio, which is to say that both are legendary defenders regardless of the other.

InfiniteBoredom

Vidic marshaled one of the best title winning PL defence ever in 08-09 alongside Wes Brown and Evans.

Just because he had a precipitous decline doesn’t mean his quality should be underrated. He was a supreme defender.

cyberman

Kompany was very good. Nowhere near Vidic though who was much better defensively. Bullied Rooney. Smalling has bullied Kane and Lukakau before. In tight games defenders have an advantage. Rooney is twice the PL legwnd kompany can ever dream of being.
Hasnt Rooney got the most goals ever in the Manc derby?

amolbhatia50k

I'd go for

Vidic
Rio
Terry
Carvalho
Kompany
VVd

Among the PL CBs I've seen. Top three have a separate tier for me.

Stacks

Vidic marshaled one of the best title winning PL defence ever in 08-09 alongside Wes Brown and Evans.

Just because he had a precipitous decline doesn’t mean his quality should be underrated. He was a supreme defender.
Brown played 6 league games and Evans played 16. Rio played 24. Why is this considered alongside Brown and Evans?!!?
Not saying he wasn't supreme at all. He was.

El Jefe

IMO Kompany and VVD at their peak were every bit as good as Rio, Terry and VIdic. So from an ability standpoint they are all in the same tier, what seperates the latter though was their longevity. VVD needs at least 3 more seasons like his last two to justify being in that league of greats. Kompany also belongs in the tier but below those 3.

InfiniteBoredom

Brown played 6 league games and Evans played 16. Rio played 24. Why is this considered alongside Brown and Evans?!!?
Not saying he wasn't supreme at all. He was.
10 of the record run of clean sheets we had that season was with Evans and Brown, during the busiest period of the season.

When Rio was fit, he played, and rightly so, but even in his absence we were stellar defensively that season. Who was responsible for that? Vidic.

amolbhatia50k

I know a cup is not the main barometer but Kompany always looked clumsy into the CL. Rushing out and being left on his backside. He was more physicality and less intelligence /nouse than someone like Terry for me.

RooneyLegend

Sounds like United bias which is to be expected.

POF

My post is harsh and makes it out that I don’t rate Kompany at all. That couldn’t be further from the truth, he was a very good player on his day and I wouldn’t doubt the impact he had on that City team. Even despite this I think Vidic and Ferdinand are a class above. Ferdinand is the best CB in premier league history for me as he combined everything into a complete package and even has the mentality to boot. Vidic is the best 6 yard defender in premier league history. He remains the best defensive header of a ball I’ve ever seen and was an absolute warrior on the pitch. There’s not shame in Kompany not being in that class in my opinion.
He certainly didn't. Rio was a far more talented defender than Vidic but he lacked the steel, determination and concentration.

Vidic was pivotal in those records and consistent runs of clean sheets. Rio would perform to a high level when he was on, but he was really inconsistent and always had a mistake in him.

Rio wins you an occasional big game. Vidic wins you titles.

Rio and Brown/Silvestre were a shambolic defence to the extent that Rio was seen as a major flop before Vidic arrived. Vidic transformed that defence into a formidable unit.

You can argue that Rio also improved in this time and was as big a part of it. That may be true. But Vidic/Evans was a superb centre back pairing. Rio/Evans was really shaky. 6-1 vs City. 4-4 vs Everton. It cost them the title that season.