Virgil van Dijk | Performances

Loublaze

ATLien
Name me a better defender. If we were to do a draft of current defenders world wide, I’d certainly pick VVD ahead of anyone else. Liverpool leaked goals for fun last season till January. He came in and since then they don’t concede. 11 clean sheets this season in the prem alone. Coincidence?

Sometimes stats don’t tell the overall picture so people use their eyes to determine how good a player is. In this instance, my eyes tell me he’s incredible and the stats also tell me he’s incredible. No brainier surely.
He's a beastly CB but this best in the world nonsense is nauseating. Liverpool's new keeper is also contributing big time

Stadjer

Why? He’s miles ahead of any defender in this league.

It’s annoying how good he is. Wins everything, dominates everyone and is brilliant with the ball.

Staggering that no bigger club bought him when he was at Celtic, because it was like watching the current VvD.
When he played for Groningen he was already really good but he had some moments where he lost concentration and made a mistake every once in a while. Not that strange for a young player though and it didnt happen very often anyway.

Cant believe no Dutch top 3 club wanted to sign him before he went to Celtic. Ajax choose Mike van der Hoorn over Virgil van Dijk :houllier:

Treble

In my opinion, the best purchase you'll have made under Klopp.
Salah.

He contributes goals/assists every 75 min in the league, Firmino and Mane are nowhere near close with roughly 140 mins per goal/assist.

Because Salah is deadly in free spaces, teams are afraid to attack which makes it easier for the defenders to shine.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
I really dislike his histrionics when Liverpool concede a goal or someone in their team makes a mistake. Virgil throws his arms to the heavens and puts on a sour puss as if he is above all that culpability nonsense. Not to mention how he’s constantly pointing to his teammates when he’s in possession where he would like them to be as if they are children who never played the game before. We’ve all played with these football know-it-alls before and this shit becomes tiresome after a while. He’s in a rich vein of form at present but he’s a brainfart or two away from losing his mythical status. Let’s see how he reacts then. It wasn’t so long ago that Giroud bossed him in a France v Holland game, lest we forget...

Treble

The strangest thing about VVD is that he wasn't rated just 2 years ago when he was already 25 y.o. I guess that in 2016 he could have been signed for 25-30 m. It was obvious that he is strong, big, quick, composed, good on the ball, etc.

Edit: Jose could have signed him for Bailly money in 2016.

Thisistheone

If he keeps this form, can see him being the first defender to win POTY since... McGrath?

Liverpool's defensive record in the PL since he arrived is incredible.

Edit: It was John Terry, just looked.

Bwuk

The strangest thing about VVD is that he wasn't rated just 2 years ago when he was already 25 y.o. I guess that in 2016 he could have been signed for 25-30 m. It was obvious that he is strong, big, quick, composed, good on the ball, etc.

Because the majority of people just rated him as a player coming from the SPL.

Can23

Supports
Liverpool

It'll be the same with Tierney. When a top EPL club signs him and everyone sees how good he is they'll be wondering why they didn't sign him years ago

Treble

It'll be the same with Tierney. When a top EPL club signs him and everyone sees how good he is they'll be wondering why they didn't sign him years ago
Good but VVD was already at Soton when people didn't pay attention. Maybe VVD has made quite a jump in the last 2 years and wasn't anywhere near as solid as he is now.

HDRubens

Supports
PSG
I really dislike his histrionics when Liverpool concede a goal or someone in their team makes a mistake. Virgil throws his arms to the heavens and puts on a sour puss as if he is above all that culpability nonsense. Not to mention how he’s constantly pointing to his teammates when he’s in possession where he would like them to be as if they are children who never played the game before. We’ve all played with these football know-it-alls before and this shit becomes tiresome after a while. He’s in a rich vein of form at present but he’s a brainfart or two away from losing his mythical status. Let’s see how he reacts then. It wasn’t so long ago that Giroud bossed him in a France v Holland game, lest we forget...
Sure like when France lost to holland not so long ago. Giroud clearly bossed him yeah, its like he was the only central defender on the pitch when De Ligt also played.

Anyway they won against France not so long ago and neither Giroud or his team mates hardly got a sniff at goal during all game having only 2 shots on target the whole game.. he also knoked France out with his last minute goal against Germany

Last edited by a moderator:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Because the majority of people just rated him as a player coming from the SPL.
I saw him play for the Netherlands a couple times during the Euro qualifiers and he was a calamity. He's improved by leaps and bounds since

Alexit

He's been a very good signing for them. Has such a commanding presence in that defense. Wish he was ours.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I watched him at Celtic a lot - it was.

I don’t think he’s playing at a higher level under Klopp than he did at southampton, he’s just playing with a lot better players.

There isn’t a better defender in the premier league.
Did too. He was bossing the league no doubt but the mistakes he made even in that league were probably why most top clubs didn't take a chance on him immidietly. He has really proved everybody wrong though, but I would credit that to his work and determination, and Klopp. I haven't seen every Liverpool game so I can't say he is the best, I highly doubt it and even if he has been exactly that it hasn't been for enough time to conclude it isn't form. He mostly made the same mistakes in Southampton as he did in Celtic but considering it was a level up, it weren't too bad. If he has had a period without those mistakes now, I totally get why someone would claim he is the best. He would be as impressive as in Celtic in those same periods, but at a higher level, it is impressive. In that sense I sort of agree.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's the perfect man for a high line.

Fast, quick strong and reads the game well. You can reliably send your fullbacks flying forward and not worry about getting caught out.

He didn't look quite as good for Southampton as he was having to defend the penalty box more, which is obviously harder as you can't use your physical skills quite as much.

Let's be honest the price is irrelevant if you play well, and this guy has transformed Liverpool.

settembrini

When Moyes took over United Pat Nevin told him to sign van Dijk but he wasn't interested.

A shame, him and Smalling would have been an immense partnership :(

P3nnywise

Supports
Werder Bremen
For me he is a Top-5 Central-Defender (Umtiti, Ramos, Silva, Chiellini, van Dijk). He be missing in the first game against Bayern is a big weakening for Liverpool. His build-up play is probably what impresses me most.

Anak Portal

Great defender, very calm. Wish United could sign him but it will remain as a dream defender for us.

Mike 777

Supports
Liverpool
He's the perfect man for a high line.

Fast, quick strong and reads the game well. You can reliably send your fullbacks flying forward and not worry about getting caught out.

He didn't look quite as good for Southampton as he was having to defend the penalty box more, which is obviously harder as you can't use your physical skills quite as much.

Let's be honest the price is irrelevant if you play well, and this guy has transformed Liverpool.
You are absolutely right. It's the system that suits him.

Tarkowski is probably as good a penalty box defender but clearly lacks his ability to read a game, and is not as mobile.

Last edited by a moderator:

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Van dijk could shit himself at night and still wake up with a clean sheet

AKDevil

Come on now boys he needs to show more than one season and current form to be labeled the best FFS
Nope. Not for me. He was showing how good he was at Southampton before he got the injury. Came back and didn’t want to be there so level dropped and now he’s transformed Liverpool. Only Ramos on his level for me. Some rate Koulibaly but not seen enough to comment. Chiellini a good defender too but VVD got everything. Rolls Royce.

Loublaze

ATLien
Nope. Not for me. He was showing how good he was at Southampton before he got the injury. Came back and didn’t want to be there so level dropped and now he’s transformed Liverpool. Only Ramos on his level for me. Some rate Koulibaly but not seen enough to comment. Chiellini a good defender too but VVD got everything. Rolls Royce.
Are you a Liverpool fan?

Bwuk

Still mental to me some thought Smalling was at the same level as VvD.

That 75m he cost will end up a bargain. The modern day Rio sadly.

Sgt.Major

Van Dijk is Terry, Vidic & Ferdinand rolled into one and can be better than all of them - Redknapp

Now that is what a call a dumb, clueless and ridiculous statement. Combined, of course.

izec

Said at the time he reminded me the most of Rio, his on the ball ability but also his reading of the game and swagger. Even if he is in trouble, the coolness and composure is still there to come great out of it

Can23

Supports
Liverpool
Van Dijk is Terry, Vidic & Ferdinand rolled into one and can be better than all of them - Redknapp

Now that is what a call a dumb, clueless and ridiculous statement. Combined, of course.
I thought you'd made that quote up to be honest it's that absurd. But on googling can confirm he actually said it. Hasn't even been with us for 1 year, whilst those he mentions played at the top for years upon years.

One of the worst pundits around.

deafepl

Having Van Dijk and Koulibaly in front of De Gea is cheating code, not only they would keep a clean sheet but zero shot on target.

el3mel

He's a brilliant defender but anyone comparing him to Rio means he lacks any sort of knowledge of football tbh.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool

Pretty reasonable comment to be fair. I'd describe him in the same way.

meninred

The only common thing between him the likes of rio/terry/vidic is that they are all commanding. To compare him with them it means he has to win some considerable trophies and consistency for the next 5 years or so.