Virgil van Dijk | Performances

Trizy

Guy is incredible! Physical and intelligent.
Not sure if its recency bias or me just being a bitter United fan; but I don't ever recall Rio/Vidic getting the sort of 'love in' VVD is getting? He still needs to perform at this level and win things for a few more years to be compared to the aforementioned IMO.
For some reason when ever Liverpool are mounted a title challenge (League or CL) the media goes into a frenzy singling out one of their players for a love-in.

Last year it was Salah.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
For some reason when ever Liverpool are mounted a title challenge (League or CL) the media goes into a frenzy singling out one of their players for a love-in.

Last year it was Salah.
And that's just because they're shite and them mounting a real challenge is big news :D

Raw

Guy is incredible! Physical and intelligent.
Not sure if its recency bias or me just being a bitter United fan; but I don't ever recall Rio/Vidic getting the sort of 'love in' VVD is getting? He still needs to perform at this level and win things for a few more years to be compared to the aforementioned IMO.
I think it's largely due to the fact that he was brought in and immediately fixed Liverpool's defensive issues and turned them into proper title challengers. Okay, it's not all because of him (signing Fabinho, the rise of Gomez and Trent, having a keeper that isn't shite, generally being more defensive than last season) but he's become one of the top 3 CBs in the world IMO so I'm not surprised about the love in he's getting. Rio and Vidic were brought into a team that was already used to winning trophies every season, and their impact wasn't immediate.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I think it's largely due to the fact that he was brought in and immediately fixed Liverpool's defensive issues and turned them into proper title challengers. Okay, it's not all because of him (signing Fabinho, the rise of Gomez and Trent, having a keeper that isn't shite, generally being more defensive than last season) but he's become one of the top 3 CBs in the world IMO so I'm not surprised about the love in he's getting. Rio and Vidic were brought into a team that was already used to winning trophies every season, and their impact wasn't immediate.
What? We were crap in the three years preceding Vidic arriving (not including his first 6 months). Him and Evra certainly played a huge role in revitalizing his and their impact from turning us from a team on the decline to the best in the Europe was massive.

Raw

What? We were crap in the three years preceding Vidic arriving (not including his first 6 months). Him and Evra certainly played a huge role in revitalizing his and their impact from turning us from a team on the decline to the best in the Europe was massive.
Well I meant that United had already won the big trophies fairly recently anyway, and their impact wasn't immediate unlike VVD. If we'd have gone 30 years without a title and only won 1 League Cup in the last 13 years, then bought a player that immediately turned us into a title favourite then I'd expect the same amount of love in.

gibers

Best CB i've ever seen in the EPL.

Only defender that can match him this season is Pique.

Tostao_80

Best CB i've ever seen in the EPL.

Only defender that can match him this season is Pique.
Bit of hyperbole there. Terry, VIdic and Rio had multiple seasons of world class defendefe. How many has VVD had? :nono::nono:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
He got done for strength by RLC once, which I was absolutely gobsmacked about. Fair fecks to ruby, but other than that, another dominating performance.

still don’t know why he didn’t give giroud a go against him. .
Even more so given Giroud is one of the few strikers if not the only one that seems to give him a hard time for some reason, before the return game at SB i think he scored in his previous 4 against him (Chelsea/Liverpool, France/Holland and Arsenal/Saints x2).

Yep deserved. Others at Liverpool are equally good players but he's the one who has turned them into title contenders.

Wiltord02

Supports
Arsenal
Deserved. However i do think the comparison to past years top level defenders is sometimes a bit over the top. No doubt he is very good but the lack of solid defenders in the premiership really makes him stand out.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Meh. Aguero has been sensational in City’s vanquishing of the ten-point cushion Liverpool had over them in December and their run to the top of the table. I think he’s more deserving of the award than van Dijk.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Can't remember the last time a centreback was this dominant and influential for his team.

Still the only defender in the top five leagues in Europe who hasn't been dribbled past yet this season. And the defender who wins the most duels in the Premier league to boot.

Handré1990

Deserved. However i do think the comparison to past years top level defenders is sometimes a bit over the top. No doubt he is very good but the lack of solid defenders in the premiership really makes him stand out.
Always hear this and disagree. He is class. Not slow, incredibly strong (does he ever lose an airial duel?), good technique, scores goals and doesn’t panick under pressure. I’d say he’s on Vidic’s level, maybe even better.

remo

Deserved, I think he is one of the best CB in the world. His price was the same as Bailly + Lindelöf, oh well - it's too late.....

Can23

Supports
Liverpool
Meh. Aguero has been sensational in City’s vanquishing of the ten-point cushion Liverpool had over them in December and their run to the top of the table. I think he’s more deserving of the award than van Dijk.
Wasn't really a 10 point cushion, City had a game in hand which they won and then their next game was us which they won so it was down to 4 points.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
City could win the league without Aguero. Our title challenge would fall apart without Van Dijk imo.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
City could win the league without Aguero. Our title challenge would fall apart without Van Dijk imo.
Nah, I’m not having it. Klopp plays three defensive midfielders to protect the centre of your defence (with his full-backs playing high) and it’s no longer so easy to get at you compared to previous years under Klopp. Van Dijk is good but he’s not the reason you’re challenging for titles. Salah was your stand-out last year and scored for fun and now he’s dropped off to a more realistic level, Mane is your best threat.

(Van Dijk doesn’t look as good for Holland, for example, as they don’t play three DMs to protect their defence.)

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Can't remember the last time a centreback was this dominant and influential for his team.

Still the only defender in the top five leagues in Europe who hasn't been dribbled past yet this season. And the defender who wins the most duels in the Premier league to boot.
He was dribbled past at least 3 times that I can remember without even searching.

Dribbled past is not exactly what it means, its just a stat for not losing a tackle.

Mcking

Completely deserved. One of the best peaks I've ever seen from a defender. The question is how long he will be able to maintain his current level.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City

Apparently Kompany's not been dribbled past in his thirteen Premier League games this season. It also says he's only attempted twelve tackles in all those games, I find that very hard to believe. I'd take these stats with a pinch of salt. WhoScored are seriously claiming that Kompany and van Dijk combined in the Premier League have not had an opponent dribble past them this season.

Anyway, well deserved award. He's been ridiculously consistent this season and he is testament to the ability of a truly world class defender and leader to transform a defence.

AJ10

No Idea what you're on about there, it never happened. :rolleyes:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Apparently Kompany's not been dribbled past in his thirteen Premier League games this season. It also says he's only attempted twelve tackles in all those games, I find that very hard to believe. I'd take these stats with a pinch of salt. WhoScored are seriously claiming that Kompany and van Dijk combined in the Premier League have not had an opponent dribble past them this season.

Anyway, well deserved award. He's been ridiculously consistent this season and he is testament to the ability of a truly world class defender and leader to transform a defence.
Sterling went past with ease vs VVD, then Sane won penalty against Liverpool at Anfield when he dribbled past VVD, Rashford also dribbled past him in Anfield game.

It's a nothing stat, it's just a stat for losing a tackle. CBs usually makes less tackles so they don't lose many tackles. For example Wes Morgan was dribbled past just once, Lascelles was dribbled past only 3 times in PL this season and Luiz just 5 times. Fiorentina defender won almost twice as many tackles as VVD and was dribbled past just 7 times.

Wes Morgan is probably in top 5 CBs in the top 5 leagues if we consider dribbled past. It's just a stat for 'losing a tackle', not actually playing going past them.

Last edited:

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
Had a very good season but my god he's extremely overrated. Seen a comparison today with Mustafi who has more tackles and interceptions. Better stats this season!

Media make it out he is the sole reason for Liverpool's improvement ignoring full backs have been great, GK has helped and Matip/Gomez have been good as well. I would argue Matip has been more impressive lately for Liverpool.

Sterling or Silva should have won.

Minimalist

Personally I think it's laughable it's not Sterling but whatever. The Liverpool love-in continues.

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
Yet keep a clean sheet and were comfortable against Bayern without him?

It would fall apart without Robertson or the GK as well.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool

Perhaps. I haven't seen enough of us without Van Dijk this season to have an accurate idea of how we'd do.

I'm assuming we'd be worse off just because of how well he organizes us. Alisson we're obviously reliant on because his back up is Mignolet.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

It's the best unit in the league and he has been the standout player in it - I'm not sure what's so hard to understand here. I could just as easily argue that Sane could replace Sterling and City would be no worse off.

Refreshing to see it given to a defender.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Liverpool's defense has dipped in recent months. For all the hoopla, they've conceded only 2 less goals than City.

But yeah his form in the first half was really good.

Has Vidic won this award before/?