Virgil van Dijk | Performances

DonnieDarko

Supports
Liverpool
He was not at fault for any of those.
Suarez was behind both VVD and Matip for the first one, so VVD position didn't matter.
For the second one the ball reflected directly to Messi in front of an empty net. He could have tried but realistically there's nothing he could do except foul him.

SAFMUTD

First goal was hard to defend, but he was asleep in the second one he didn’t even tracked messi

Womp

idiot
Better than Vidic and Rio combined they said
Whilst I don't obviously think he is as good as those two in their prime, using a performance against Messi as a basis isn't really fair. Messi made an absolute foolery of Rio and Vidic in the same game in this same competition in the past.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Matip was a lot better than VVD tonight, almost like VVD got stage fright

Jacob

Don't be daft, all players have have poor performances. Vidic embarrassed himself everytime we played Liverpool.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Whilst I don't obviously think he is as good as those two in their prime, using a performance against Messi as a basis isn't really fair. Messi made an absolute foolery of Rio and Vidic in the same game in this same competition in the past.
Yeah and the guy considered the best defender of this era gets done by Barca two times a season usually.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
No shame in being done by Messi. Every great defender of the past 10 years has had the same treatment at some point.

Treble

Poor awareness for the first 2 goals. Didn't look like the best CB around.

RepardReece

He was not at fault for any of those.
Suarez was behind both VVD and Matip for the first one, so VVD position didn't matter.
For the second one the ball reflected directly to Messi in front of an empty net. He could have tried but realistically there's nothing he could do except foul him.
First goal is poor awareness then isn't it? Same could be said for the second, although more unlucky. Even if it wasn't his fault he was still poor, can tell he's very scared and passive against Messi, who tore him apart. Matip was the better defender of the two.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Don't be daft, all players have have poor performances. Vidic embarrassed himself everytime we played Liverpool.
And this is why I find the bumping of Van Dijk's thread everytime Liverpool concedes it is so silly. Because it is almost as silly as the myth that Torres dominated Vidic everytime they went up against each other.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Caught sleeping for both goals, specially the first one. The thing that I noticed is how he didn't even try to face Messi and take the ball off him, he just backed up. Matip and Fabinho were more impressive when they went to tackle the little man

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
People actually think he's better than Rio was. fecking lunatics.

Ban

Tbh it was brilliant from him how he watched Messi score the 2nd. Top defending.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
In all seriousness judging people over them failing to stop Messi is a bit harsh. Think all defenders in history are a bit shite using that metric.

AJ10

He's clearly a good player but the Overrating is worse than most English players.

Wouldn't be surprised if most don't mention his mistakes.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I know, I just hope this will be reality check for usual suspects who like to overrate every player who has a good season. Excellent season for van Dijk, but it's still a long way to becoming as good as Rio and Vidic for him.

Jacob

The mythbusters are out in full force. I just think it's ridiculous to expect a player to be good every game.