Virgil van Dijk | Performances

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Obviously once Liverpool signed him it meant they would never concede a goal again.
Sorry but if we're going to hear for days how amazing it was that he let Sissoko shoot and cut off the pass to Son, he can be criticised for giving Suarez that much space when he was always in his line of vision.

tomaldinho1

He was not at fault for any of those.
Suarez was behind both VVD and Matip for the first one, so VVD position didn't matter.
For the second one the ball reflected directly to Messi in front of an empty net. He could have tried but realistically there's nothing he could do except foul him.
Haha that's a flat out lie, he watches his run the whole way

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Tonight was the classic pride comes before a fall moment for both pool and van dyke

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The mythbusters are out in full force. I just think it's ridiculous to expect a player to be good every game.
The media have genuinely created this narrative that he’s the best CB to ever play football in England. It’s a totally justified reaction from rival fans. Or fans with a modicum of sense.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Don't be daft, all players have have poor performances. Vidic embarrassed himself everytime we played Liverpool.
His record against Liverpool is 7 wins and 5 loses, and 2 out of those 5 are under Moyes. I can understand neutral fans buying that myth but what's embarassing is you as United fan buying it.

Ban

I think we should avoid this thread. His fans are angry. United fans too mind you.

Jacob

His record against Liverpool is 7 wins and 5 loses, and 2 out of those 5 are under Moyes. I can understand neutral fans buying that myth but what's embarassing is you as United fan buying it.
Now count the red cards...

Red Star One

The mythbusters are out in full force. I just think it's ridiculous to expect a player to be good every game.
Quite ridiculous, but when I see people saying he’s the best CB of Premier Leafue era I expect him to play like one, today when it counted he was poor

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
The media have genuinely created this narrative that he’s the best CB to ever play football in England. It’s a totally justified reaction from rival fans. Or fans with a modicum of sense.
Everyone who has even been considered a great defender have been on the other end of losses like this. Hell this happens to Ramos twice a season against Barca.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
He's an excellent defender. But the comparisons to prime rio and prime vidic are laughable at this point.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Everyone who has even been considered a great defender have been on the other end of losses like this. Hell this happens to Ramos twice a season against Barca.
Sergio Ramos has won everything football has to offer. And then some. Virgil van Dijk has one good season with absolutely nothing to his name.

They can’t and absolutely shouldn’t be compared.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Sergio Ramos has won everything football has to offer. And then some. Virgil van Dijk has one good season with absolutely nothing to his name.

How dare he not win major honors with Groningen, Celtic and Southampton.

Eddy_JukeZ

More than that mate. Torres in his prime was a nightmare to defend against but the hoodoo waned when he went to Chelsea.
When then?

I only recall the 4-1 loss in which Vidic erred once which led to Torres' equalizer.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
How dare he not win major honors with Groningen, Celtic and Southampton.
Yeah it's totally Ramos' fault that he didn't spend his formative years at in Scottish league and the like. How dare he light up Savilla at age 19.

Bojan11

Don't be daft, all players have have poor performances. Vidic embarrassed himself everytime we played Liverpool.
Eh?

Not every time so don’t exaggerate. We had quite a few 1-0 victories at Anfield thanks to Vidic.

But yeah people are nit picking here.

Bojan11

Torres used to get the better of him regularly. Just one of those things.
That was overboard. Torres had one good game against him in that 4-1.

But Vidic dominated him before that. Nobody said anything when Torres brushed Rio aside for a goal at Anfield.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Same. He’s still been the best player in the league this season. Better players than him have been humbled in the Nou Camp, it happens.

Rossa

That was overboard. Torres had one good game against him in that 4-1.

But Vidic dominated him before that. Nobody said anything when Torres brushed Rio aside for a goal at Anfield
What? You mean when Ferguson called Rio to his office, asked what was wrong because Rio would have handled him easily six months earlier. To which Rio grudgingly had to admit he was playing with pains in his back. I think people noticed. Rio had to adapt his game after that.

Bojan11

What? You mean when Ferguson called Rio to his office, asked what was wrong because Rio would have handled him easily six months earlier. To which Rio grudgingly had to admit he was playing with pains in his back. I think people noticed. Rio had to adapt his game after that.
I’m talking about the media you numpty.

predator

Youth NITK
He could've done better for both goals but to be actually expect a CB to get the better of Messi for 90 minutes is simply too unrealistic. For me he is still the best defender in the league and one of the best in Europe.

Bojan11

Was the media all over Vidic? Genuine question as I don't know. I think it's more of a fan thing.
Yes they were.

Before every pool game they would discuss it and go overboard with it. Yet not mention when Torres shrugged past Rio or how Torres was invisible against Man Utd in his first season.

Torres in his prime for those two seasons was some player. It’s hard for any defender to deal with him. Vidic and Rio dealt with him well.

DonnieDarko

Supports
Liverpool
Haha that's a flat out lie, he watches his run the whole way
what exactly is a lie? On the replay I've seen Suarez was onside even if VVD disappeared, and it was rather Matip doing nothing to stop the cross than VVD.
VVD could have closed the gap but realistically could only cover the far corner, which is not where the ball went.

If you're saying I'm a liar please bring in some facts to prove your point.

I'm not saying VVD was great today, but he was not poor or at fault for anything particular.

dogwithabone

As far as I’m concerned VVD is as good as Rio or Vidic ever were. You don’t have to have racked up 500 games to be parked alongside those two. He’s played 120 PL games and that’s enough to make a judgement on him.

He’s up alongside Terry, Adams, Campbell and Rio in terms of pure defensive ability. That stat - before tonight - that no one has dribbled past him the entire season is a staggering statistic.

Fantastic footballer.

gibers

WHat a load of nonsense. Ramos was part of wininng teams. van Dijk this season has been better than any season Ramos has had in his career.

Ramos makes comical errors almost weekly. If he was in the Prem he would be called David Luiz but because he is Spanish and he scores goals he is WC. BS. Ramos is and never has been WC. I watched this clown since he played as a RB that was getting demolished in La Liga.

vna Dijk is superior at everything related to defending.

Having 6 good games in 60+ games is pathetic.

Moriarty

When then?

I only recall the 4-1 loss in which Vidic erred once which led to Torres' equalizer.
2010 when Torres left him rooted to head home the opening goal though we did win that one 2-1. Vidic rarely had a good game against Liverpool. How many red cards did he pick up against them? I remember three at least.

Enigma_87

You know who
As far as I’m concerned VVD is as good as Rio or Vidic ever were. You don’t have to have racked up 500 games to be parked alongside those two. He’s played 120 PL games and that’s enough to make a judgement on him.

He’s up alongside Terry, Adams, Campbell and Rio in terms of pure defensive ability. That stat - before tonight - that no one has dribbled past him the entire season is a staggering statistic.

Fantastic footballer.
Nope. Can't agree with that. Rio, Vidic had more world class seasons than him. Would still put him below Campbell, Rio, Vidic and Adams in terms of defensive ability. On par with Terry perhaps.