Virgil van Dijk | Performances

Treble

Let's see how VVD fares over 3-4 seasons at top level before ranking him among the greats. The players he is being compared to had at least 5-6 seasons at top top level, not 1-2.

Judged on the basis of his 17/18 season Salah was better than Henry and Ronaldo. You know though that he isn't because you don't rank a player on the basis of one season.

Thing is the art of defending has significantly changed over the last decade: top teams defend higher up the pitch and the CBs are involved in fewer duels, tackles, clearances, etc. Which makes the job of the CBs and the defenders relatively easier and reduces their (obvious) mistakes.

Two examples with City (as they don't defend clasically, so to speak):

(1) they won 18 games in a row with 4 good but not special defenders in Walker, Otamendi, Stones and Delph. On paper, this defensive line is far from being brilliant. Next season they conceded just 23 goals which was better than United in 08/09 with the best defence in the world at the time. Obviously, City's defenders are not even close to being as good as Rio, Vidi and Evra, but they conceded fewer goals because the art of defending changed and, somewhat paradoxically put, defenders are not as important for the defence as they were earlier (and are much more important for the atack than they were earlier).

(2) City played last night with two kids at CB aged 17 and 18 and were barely troubled. Personally, I think that these kids, talented though they are, would be completely out of their depth if they had to do classical defending at some championship club.

Basically, many people live with old impressions about defending and explain to themsleves Liverpool's defensive solidity with the brilliance of their defenders and, in particular, VVD's skills. He is excellent, obviously, but the art of defending has changed and defence is much more a matter of the overall defensive organisation of a team than of the individual actions of this or that defender. Put VVD back in Soton's defence and he wouldn't look like the best CB in the world, because their defensive organsation is levels bellow Liverpool's.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Agree with a lot of that @Treble, with a couple of comments...
Thing is the art of defending has significantly changed over the last decade: top teams defend higher up the pitch and the CBs are involved in fewer duels, tackles, clearances, etc. Which makes the job of the CBs and the defenders relatively easier and reduces their (obvious) mistakes.
Or alternatively the defenders have to defend much bigger spaces and with stricter referees, which makes their job harder.

The caveat to that is that, as in your City example, many of the top defenders play for superclubs who dominate the ball and territory to unprecedented levels, and are less exposed to traditional 1v1 and penalty-box defending.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Agree with a lot of that @Treble, with a couple of comments...

Or alternatively the defenders have to defend much bigger spaces and with stricter referees, which makes their job harder.
Bigger spaces and attacking football developing a fair bit the past decade. Compared to 10 years ago, there are more goals scored, more passes attempted and completed, yet fewer shots attempted and fewer crosses being made and fewer goals from set pieces, despite the increase in goalscoring. This is true across all the top leagues.

What it means is that there is a lot less percentage football being played for defenders to clear, attacking is generally less direct with significant fewer one-one duels, and there is simply more high quality chances being created now than a decade ago, to go with less challenges and duels for defenders to compete for. For both attackers and defenders, the reliance on individual ability has decreased.

The ball is moved faster than ever before and players make more off the ball runs than before. It's a lot more about movement, positioning and anticipation than it used to be. Man marking for example is basically dead. Defenders trusting their ability to win duels and challenges by sticking close to their man aren't as valuable as they used to be.

I'd say defenders in most places have it harder than ever, which is also why there is a perceived lack of top defenders compared to 15 years ago. Main exception perhaps is guardiolas teams whose tactics distribute the defending across the whole team to greater effect than anyone else around.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
What it means is that there is a lot less percentage football being played for defenders to clear, attacking is generally less direct with significant lesser one-one duels, and there is simply more high quality chances being created now than a decade ago, to go with less challenges and duels for defenders to compete for.
Actually, i believe there is more one-on-one duels on the ball, but fewer one-on-one duels for the ball. Which is part of the reason why nearly no CB nowadays knows how to mark their man, but they've become better at not getting dribbled past, and at defending more ground positionally(talking strictly about the top defenders here. The others are just worse overall, except the getting dribbled past part)

Top CBs nowadays have to defend greater zones positionally and are left to defend 1on1 nearly all the time, whereas in eras past a CB finding himself 1on1 - except in man-marking inside the box - meant something had gone catastrophically wrong

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
He will win the Ballon D'or in December, especially if Liverpool's unbeaten streak in the English Premier League continues.

vkd

Supports
liverpool
Agree on his top tier credentials - likes of him, Kompany and Terry will invariably be a little under-appreciated on here by virtue of who they played for.

In terms of elite center-halves over the last 30 years, Nesta, Desailly, Thiago Silva and Kohler (not quite as smooth on the ball but still pretty decent) were all very complete and it would be hard to identify any obvious weaknesses in the attributes they brought to the table.
I agree with most, I think Desailly in his best days was a defensive mid though. Now that you've said Thiago Silva at his peak for sure I'd agree. Nesta, I'd say never had that kind of physical presence and

he was way slower than VVD, not to mention heading. His other components of the game were flawless though. I don't rate Kohler at all. He was a brute.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
People will say it was only Sheffield, but 3 points is 3 points and once again he was the main reason we took home a win, on a day where Matip was off his game. Majestic player.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
He got completely done for the first goal and yet nothing in this thread, for shame.

Seriously though I thought he was poor by his standards tonight. Missed Matip maybe?

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
People will say it was only Sheffield, but 3 points is 3 points and once again he was the main reason we took home a win, on a day where Matip was off his game. Majestic player.
But Wijnaldum scored the only goal in a 1-0 win so technically he was the main reason you took home a win.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
The first goal is probably why he backs off from attackers

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Is that his "never been dribbled past" record gone now? But yeah he got absolutely mugged for the first goal.

RedDevilSwe

Supports
Liverpool
Liverpools defence all over the place with Matip out injured.

If he’s out against Leicester as well Vardy will have a real good time.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
VVD is a fantastic defender but he seems to have taken a step back this season so far

Although in fairness last season was at a historical level defensively

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Worst half from him since he's moved to Liverpool. Seemed to be on autopilot.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
VVD is a fantastic defender but he seems to have taken a step back this season so far
No he hasn't. The team as a whole has

People blaming VVD for getting dribbled past in that situation need to get a grip

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Not really, we're way better off than last year at this point. People were also saying we had declined from the year before back then, when we actually didn't. We've been on this same level for 2,5 seasons now.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It went earlier in the season, actually been dribbled past more times than the flat footed clogger Harry Maguire in the PL this season. Don't tell @lsd :wenger:
VVD was dribbled past more than Maguire + Lindelof combined ;)
Obviously VVD is better, better to put white text as you are not sure on caf these days.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Not really, we're way better off than last year at this point. People were also saying we had declined from the year before back then, when we actually didn't. We've been on this same level for 2,5 seasons now.
Defensively? I mean maybe. From what i've seen you've found yourselves in more dangerous situations more consistently compared to last year. But maybe fewer dangerous situations overall

Tostao_80

Good player but not an absolute great and never will be IMHO.
You even had someone on here claiming he has better than the great Nesta, arguably the world's best centre back since Baresi.
Lets not knock him though, he's the best in the world at the mo, and clearly at that.

MUFC OK

Although in fairness last season was at a historical level defensively
Historical? Like the best ever ever? Everything is amazing or sh*te these days, and the second a very good player shows some consistency they are 'world class'.

He's a top defender and barely put a foot wrong last year, but 'historical'?

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona

People blaming VVD for getting dribbled past in that situation need to get a grip
It’s not about that, all season he looks worse than last season. He had a lot of help having a spectacular defense to him, and when they aren’t up to snuff he looks worse

Liverpool have been conceding an insane amount of goals this season

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Historical? Like the best ever ever? Everything is amazing or sh*te these days, and the second a very good player shows some consistency they are 'world class'.

Last year he was defending at a historical level yes. This season not so much

Danny Roberts

Not sure what the poster meant by "historical" but he was up there with the best seasons I guess. Unusual for a defender to win the BD and whenever I saw him play he looked immense.

Diddy Kong

Supports
Liverpool
It’s not about that, all season he looks worse than last season. He had a lot of help having a spectacular defense to him, and when they aren’t up to snuff he looks worse

An insane amount of goals? Think that is a bit hyperbolic to be fair. Conceded 5 in the league, which is the joint fewest. 10 overall in 10 games. Not as solid as last season for sure, but hardly "an insane amount of goals" either.

Also, we have been missing our Allison for all those games as well.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool

:lol: Hyperbole much? 5 goals in seven games in the league and with our reserve goalkeeper is nowhere near 'insane'

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

As i've said, they're defensively worse as a team, so VVD is finding himself in extreme situations more often. In truth he's been fantastic so far, every bit as good as last season. He's just more exposed

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
An insane amount of goals? Think that is a bit hyperbolic to be fair. Conceded 5 in the league, which is the joint fewest. 10 overall in 10 games. Not as solid as last season for sure, but hardly "an insane amount of goals" either.

Also, we have been missing our Allison for all those games as well.
This is fair, but from the games I’ve seen they look a bit sloppy and have had a fairly easy schedule so far

I do think you guys will still get better on that end

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Defensively? I mean maybe. From what i've seen you've found yourselves in more dangerous situations more consistently compared to last year. But maybe fewer dangerous situations overall
It’s this new high line we’re playing, it’s definitely intentional as lijnders has stated we’re much better and further along in our development than this point last year. Last season we dropped deep mostly and trusted our attackers to come up with a goal or two, we switched in the second half of the season and started conceding more, not a lot but slightly more. The problem is some of our defenders, particular the younger two TAA/Gomez have struggled with balls over their head and getting the line right, that and the lack of pressure on the salzburg players allowing them to pick passes, if you’re going to play high, one of the fundamentals is pressure on the opposing team. If you don’t you’re going to get picked apart, Henderson was particularly bad last night for vacating the midfield and surprisingly even Gini our most tactically disciplined midfielder got caught up in it too.

I mean as someone mentioned, last season people assumed we were worse than the season before and that it was only a matter of time till we were found out. We’ll see if Alisson back helps any.

The one thing I’m not understanding is the lack of Ox/Keita/Lallana in midfield, our three players who can actually build the play and get the ball in to the forwards in dangerous areas and control the game and they’ve barely had a look in. Surely if we’re playing high and compact you’d want midfielders with that profile in their rather than ones who play it safe and aren’t entirely comfortable receiving on the half turn. It would result in much more chances created for the front three as at present they do a lot alone.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
As i've said, they're defensively worse as a team, so VVD is finding himself in extreme situations more often. In truth he's been fantastic so far, every bit as good as last season. He's just more exposed
He's not gonna shag you mate