Virgil van Dijk | Performances

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
How much is he on per week?

New contract incoming!
Definitely, and that suits us. We can't be the only club giving out stupid wages. Liverpool need to start matching our insane largess, first to their genuinely good players then to their dreck when the rot sets in again.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
I appear to stand corrected - apologies; bizarrely, the "Van Dijk agrees new contract" article was published on their club website on the 8th of Sept
It is rather stupid that the official website forwards speculation from the tabloids.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
Definitely, and that suits us. We can't be the only club giving out stupid wages. Liverpool need to start matching our insane largess, first to their genuinely good players then to their dreck when the rot sets in again.
It's definitely a concern. I don't think we want to, or are able to, match the wages given by you or the other big spenders around. For the time being our major assets are tied to 2023, so if they make demands we can't or won't honour, we will probably offload with a huge profit.

Paul_Scholes18

It's definitely a concern. I don't think we want to, or are able to, match the wages given by you or the other big spenders around. For the time being our major assets are tied to 2023, so if they make demands we can't or won't honour, we will probably offload with a huge profit.

I am not sure which clubs have the money to spend crazy money on them.
PSG has already done it and fight not be able to increase the insane wages they got too much.
You are not going to sell them to us nor City.

Thus it is probably Real or Barca that can do it. They might aim for other targets though.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I think you'll be ok. Your big players seem to have bought into the good work FSG and Klopp are doing and as you say your stars are on long contracts with very nice money, if not absolutely stratospheric by modern standards. Money talks and all that but I don't see this team breaking up anytime soon (unfortunately :devil:).

If you did start throwing around bigger contracts to average players that would be a worry for you, as that's one of the many mistakes we made on the way down.

Coxy

You haven’t got mercenaries. Why would they want to leave when you’re winning the champions league and (probably) the premier league? And you have Klopp. It’s only when you stop winning they’d consider it surely

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
I think you'll be ok. Your big players seem to have bought into the good work FSG and Klopp are doing and as you say your stars are on long contracts with very nice money, if not absolutely stratospheric by modern standards. Money talks and all that but I don't see this team breaking up anytime soon (unfortunately :devil:).

If you did start throwing around bigger contracts to average players that would be a worry for you, as that's one of the many mistakes we made on the way down.
I think so too. We're ok for now. We will have to stretch ourselves though to keep the good players happy or risk losing them. But your example of throwing wages after average players should definitely be avoided.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
You haven’t got mercenaries. Why would they want to leave when you’re winning the champions league and (probably) the premier league? And you have Klopp. It’s only when you stop winning they’d consider it surely
Yeah, It's easier for sure when you're winning and everything is rosy.

Tottenham kept the momentum going for years with low wages, but sooner or later it catches up with you if you're succesful. So we have to continue being smart on transfers in and out.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
He’s going to regress within the next 1-2 years so I hope the Vermin don’t get a golden envelope to rebuild their squad alá Coutinho. With the money laundering deals they tend to involve themselves in (Ibe, Solanke, the aforementioned Coutinho etc.), the pricks would probably get something ludicrous like £150m for van Dijk, which is utterly farcical. Let them try to replace their players with their own money for once.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
He’s going to regress within the next 1-2 years so I hope the Vermin don’t get a golden envelope to rebuild their squad alá Coutinho. With the money laundering deals they tend to involve themselves in (Ibe, Solanke, the aforementioned Coutinho etc.), the pricks would probably get something ludicrous like £150m for van Dijk, which is utterly farcical. Let them try to replace their players with their own money for once.
:lol:

hubbuh

What's he on if he's still on his first contract, then? He could be getting £300,000 a week at one of the big clubs. Ta-ra, mate. It's been fun!

TheOx

Supports
Liverpool
I'm starting to think you're not a serious poster, but a parody poster.

Good on ya.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
The beauty of van Dijk holding the Vermin for a contract which is competitive for the market is his teammates will follow suit.

“You want £300k per week, Virgil? Sorted, la.”

“What’s that, Mo? You’re demanding £350k? Erm... okay.”

“Sadio, la, £275k per week is the most we can go.”

“Hello? Hendo? You want £200k a week? Get fecked!”

It’s about time the Scousers fell foul of the greed within football. Virtually all the top clubs have within the last 5-6 years and it appears the mid-level clubs are finally about to catch up.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I somehow doubt that this guy has insider info from Gerrard or Dalglish.
This is the same guy who recently claimed that Haaland to United was a done deal.

My guess is that he has a mate who is a journo or in the media - this is how he gets the teamsheets 15 minutes before they are released and how he got the inside scoop on Rashford's injury but transfers and contracts is a whole different game

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
What's he on if he's still on his first contract, then? He could be getting £300,000 a week at one of the big clubs. Ta-ra, mate. It's been fun!
Around 150k-180k depending on which sites you believe.

Of course he could get more elsewhere, but as it happens, he is contracted until 2023.

Paul_Scholes18

Around 150k-180k depending on which sites you believe.

Of course he could get more elsewhere, but as it happens, he is contracted until 2023.
'
Come on Ed spend 150 million and 350 k per week to get him!
At least if turns to shit for us we made you guys weaker.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
The beauty of van Dijk holding the Vermin for a contract which is competitive for the market is his teammates will follow suit.

It’s about time the Scousers fell foul of the greed within football. Virtually all the top clubs have within the last 5-6 years and it appears the mid-level clubs are finally about to catch up.
I'm loving all this fanfic material, Buchan. You should put up a blog or something.

PaulRich

All of them were given new contracts last year in anticipation of exactly that. They are in for the long haul. Salah, Mane and van dijk all earn around 200k now.
Smart business acumen - doesn't mean they're staying - merely ensures Liverpool will get a nice little compensatory pay out if they do take the thirty pieces.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
"Money laundering deals". :lol:

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool

My brain can't comprehend your Liverpool related posts.

KekiZeki

You can look at it any way you want, terrific defender, would have been smart if we went for him while he was at freaking Southampton! If anywhere a player is getable it's there.

But he's their player now, no point in crying over it. There are no players like him in the market at the moment but if we improve our defense and our overall play we could match their defense with van Dijk in it, I am hoping soon.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Wouldn't surprise me if he fancies playing at a continental club like Juve for next contract. Probably mainly for the lifestyle, culture and less rain! :lol:

Living in the NW just very different experience culturally.

We'll see his intentions, if he signs new contract or runs down now.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Judging by the first few pages of this thread, I would imagine some United fans here would be gutted to see this overpriced flop leave.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
We need someone like him to play alongside Maguire. Calm, Commanding, and a winning mentality.
Isn’t that why you got Maguire? Do you think Maguire just needs a good CB to pair with him or does he need someone better than himself to get his confidence up.

Coxy

Isn’t that why you got Maguire? Do you think Maguire just needs a good CB to pair with him or does he need someone better than himself to get his confidence up.
Sadly it's just us at the minute. We make players who join us - worse.

romufc

If you think he's going to sit on that amount for 3 years you're mad.
Alot of Liverpool fans believe this. One of my mates is a fan and he said as long as they are winning they will be happy with an adequate wage, we are a well run club and the players are all happy and will be under Klopp.