Virgil van Dijk | Performances

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Assist in his first match!
Classic Liverpool defender :lol:

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Bit of a Dick van Dyke there. Sliced a clearance for the corner, then was nice enough to put it on a plate for Mawson.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Unbelievable hair do.

Fits right in.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Perfect :lol: looking forward to hearing Carragher on it.

Paxi

In all seriousness, terrible defending for that set piece. I mean, why would you head the ball down and right into the danger area when defending a corner - it didn't look like a slice either - from that clip.

Shark

@NotShark
I don't get why he's being made out to be this massive superstar signing. He's an improvement on what Liverpool have, but not anywhere close to world class.

Edit: I mean, he's fucccin world class la, five times!

James Peril

Van Dijk is running around trying to be first on every ball, classic case of trying too much. Messed up on the goal and also created a free-kick in a good position as he wandered out of position. He is a good defender, but still funny that he is brought in mainly to clear up set-pieces and manages to feck up on the first attempt.

Paxi

He cost more than Bonucci! :lol:

Andeva

Supports
FK Haugesund
He was excellent in the build-up of Liverpools attacks, you can clearly see what they bought him for. But those clearences before and to the goal... woeful.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I think he'll be really good for Pool eventually but every mistake he makes is going to be scrutinized hugely cause of the daft fee they paid.

Kag

He's not particularly great at defending and that's been obvious since he moved here from Scotland.

But he's good on the ball and it was decided he was good, therefore the regular errors leading to goals in a Southampton shirt were conveniently swept aside.

He'll get found out at Liverpool.

Anustart89

In all seriousness, terrible defending for that set piece. I mean, why would you head the ball down and right into the danger area when defending a corner - it didn't look like a slice either - from that clip.
Didn't slice it. Just jumped too early, and had to bow his head in order to be able to make any contact with the ball. Terrible timing, but once he'd committed that was the only contact he could make unless he tried to chest it down.

Paxi

Didn't slice it. Just jumped too early, and had to bow his head in order to be able to make any contact with the ball. Terrible timing, but once he'd committed that was the only contact he could make unless he tried to chest it down.
Aye I've seen a better reply there.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Hard to defend him for his play leading up to the goal. I think he tried a bit too hard to be a £75 million defender.

Hopefully he’ll improve as time goes on.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
He's not particularly great at defending and that's been obvious since he moved here from Scotland.

But he's good on the ball and it was decided he was good, therefore the regular errors leading to goals in a Southampton shirt were conveniently swept aside.

He'll get found out at Liverpool.
Agreed wholeheartedly. Klopp has heaped enormous pressure on him when he insisted it was 'van Dijk or nobody' in the transfer market. Liverpool fans spent the last six months firmly believing that as soon as he'd join, he'd sort out their defensive frailties. That belief is very much misplaced. The problem at Liverpool is their system (and inability to defend set-pieces) and most defenders in the league would struggle to impress under Klopp's setup. Lovren looked very good under Pochettino - an excellent defensive coach - but absolutely haphazard under Klopp's 'guidance'. I expect a similar outcome in the case of van Dijk.

haram

He thinks he has to bark at everyone and win every single ball :lol: