Virgil van Dijk | Performances

Djemba-Djemba

I think he's a decent defender.

The £75m fee was just so ludicrous though, as were the comparisons to Rio, it's going to add so much pressure on him. There's no way he can justify that fee.

VanGaalEra

A goal on his FA Cup debut and an assist on his Premier League debut.

£75M lamppost. (He’s actually half decent, but feck him).

engulfing

He's defensively vulnerable, thats why the big clubs passed on him. I remember zlatan just towering over him to head in a lofted cross.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
The weird obsession with giving him the ball tonight at every opportunity was very odd to see.

He must have had a hundred plus touches tonight. But I'll say again what I said in the match thread, that it slowed down Liverpool's transitions from defence to attack. It may also have been because they didn't have Coutinho to receive the ball in the final third.

That's the slowest I've seen Liverpool play in a fair while.

Peanut Butter

I think he's a decent defender.

The £75m fee was just so ludicrous though, as were the comparisons to Rio, it's going to add so much pressure on him. There's no way he can justify that fee.
Agree, he's a very good player. Whether he will deal with the price tag and playing for such a big club is another thing completely. (Yes I know he played for Celtic but even I would look half decent in their back four.)

diplomat

If this guy is worth £75m, Phil Jones is easily valued at a £100m. The next Duncan Edwards, eh?

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
even as a pool fan myself I think he is utter garbage and I am thoroughly embarrassed that
You mugs... I mean we broke the fecking transfer record for him.
There’s something odd about this post but seeing as you’re a Liverpool fan (made obvious by your tag) I’ll give you a five times salute and go about my business.

EyeInTheSky

There’s something odd about this post but seeing as you’re a Liverpool fan (made obvious by your tag) I’ll give you a five times salute and go about my business.
Thank you, kind sir, I doth my cap to you. It's nice to see someone like yourself recognise and acknowledge a genuine Liverpool fan such as myself. Let's hope that erm whoever we are playing next week get a jolly good hiding, up the toffees and all that!!

BarstoolProphet

He is a very good player but also prone to mistakes. I've been torn on wanting him at United or not. On one hand he got extreme physical advantages that could make him the best defender in the world but at times it seems he can't be arsed defending properly. Will no doubt be a threat for Liverpool offensively, which will probably mask some of his deficiencies at the back.

walkinhop

He played one match for them and some already coming out with the price tag. Then, they'll go and defend our signings. Can we get rid of the price humiliation and just laugh at the performances?

Classical Mechanic

He is a very good player but also prone to mistakes. I've been torn on wanting him at United or not. On one hand he got extreme physical advantages that could make him the best defender in the world but at times it seems he can't be arsed defending properly. Will no doubt be a threat for Liverpool offensively, which will probably mask some of his deficiencies at the back.
The good news is that Liverpool don’t really need help creating goals, they need help defending.

Bwuk

75m down the drain
Liverpool drop points again

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I've said it before. He was incredibly overrated. Never stands out for the Dutch national team when he starts and let's not overrate his average-to-decent tenure at Southampton.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
When you consider how much money we spent on Sanchez.. to them buying a defender and we get stick from the media. Fecking Joke.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
They could have a modern day Vidic back there, it wouldn't stop the goals going in. The way Klopp sets his sides up mean they are hilariously vulnerable as soon as any team pass his initial press.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I've said it before. He was incredibly overrated. Never stands out for the Dutch national team when he starts and let's not overrate his average-to-decent tenure at Southampton.
Don't think he is bad, it's just about coaching.
Put him in a Mourinho side and he will unleash his internal Maldini. Klopp just doesn't sets out teams who defend well.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I don’t think it’s him specifically that is the problem, but we’re no better with him in the side.

Idxomer

"Virgil van Dijk literally has everything - he's the best defender in the Premier League". Jurgen Klopp

cyberman

VAR has done a better job at stopping West Brom from scoring than Virgil has

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Don't think he is bad, it's just about coaching.
Put him in a Mourinho side and he will unleash his internal Maldini. Klopp just doesn't sets out teams who defend well.
He’s not bad but he’s by no means anything special either.

The latter true maybe but you’re speaking hypothetically. Fact of the matter is, VVD is definitely overrated, especially for the price he went for. That will forever be linked with him and truth be hold he’s not capable of playing up to that standard - ever. AKA Liverpool fecked up big time here :lol:

Macern

Pee pee pants
He has only played two games though (I think). I still believe he’ll turn out to be a good signing for them.

Dansk

I somehow missed that they paid £75m for him. Bloody hell. That's absolutely pants-on-head insane, even if you disregard his actual performances for Liverpool thus far. He was never some kind of world-class defender, he just showed promise. Seventy-five fecking million for an above average defender...

ChaddyP

Saying VVD is the Dutch Chris Smalling is extremely harsh on Chris Smalling.

Mailo

£75M for Dutch Chris Smalling

Couldn't make it up even if you tried...Liverpool :lol::lol:
That's very harsh on Smalling. He's one of the best out and out defenders in the league, if not the best. It's just his ballplaying skills that leaves a lot to be desired.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
They could have a modern day Vidic back there, it wouldn't stop the goals going in. The way Klopp sets his sides up mean they are hilariously vulnerable as soon as any team pass his initial press.
There’s a lot of truth in this.

Moreno playing full-back instead of Robertson (who can actually defend) isn’t helping anything

haram

This. They will never win anything of note playing like this.