Virgil van Dijk | Performances

El Jefe

It'll be interesting to see how VVD develops because I remember Mats Hummels looking imperious for a few seasons under Klopp but was never able to keep up the same level for long enough. I'm not saying van Dijk is not a great defender but we've seen players have an unbelievable 3 year spell under Klopp before a drop off.

What I also find funny about the VVD comparisons with the PL greats is that van Dijk is 27 already. If we're doing a comparison of what players like Rio, Vidic, Terry etc had done by the age of 27 its absolutely blows van Dijk out of the water.

I mean John Terry was PFA player of the year at 24 and Rio made the PFA team of the year at 23 and also started and impressed for England at the world cup. On the other hand VVD made his debut for the Netherlands at the age of 24.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
Putting him on level with the PL greats is over the top. He hasn't won anything yet, and he hasn't performed at this high level for long enough. It's hard to name a CB in PL better than him at the moment though. Absolutely crucial to our title challenge. No hope, if he gets a long injury imo.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
It'll be interesting to see how VVD develops because I remember Mats Hummels looking imperious for a few seasons under Klopp but was never able to keep up the same level for long enough. I'm not saying van Dijk is not a great defender but we've seen players have an unbelievable 3 year spell under Klopp before a drop off.

What I also find funny about the VVD comparisons with the PL greats is that van Dijk is 27 already. If we're doing a comparison of what players like Rio, Vidic, Terry etc had done by the age of 27 its absolutely blows van Dijk out of the water.

I mean John Terry was PFA player of the year at 24 and Rio made the PFA team of the year at 23 and also started and impressed for England at the world cup. On the other hand VVD made his debut for the Netherlands at the age of 24.
Hummels is quite slow and not that great physically, Van Dijk is far superior in those regards compared to him.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Yeah, I can only echo what most Liverpool fans have been saying. Van Dijk needs to play at this level a bit longer before comparisons with Terry, Rio and Vidic etc. are apt. One year of playing at the highest level isn’t enough. And seeing as they’ve all won multiple trophies and are, imo, the finest cb’s the league has had ever since I can remember, that’s only natural.

However, if he keeps up his current form, I’ll stick my neck out and say he’s up there with the best. And while trophies aren’t everything when discussing a players worth, they sure would help.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
Yeah, I can only echo what most Liverpool fans have been saying. Van Dijk needs to play at this level a bit longer before comparisons with Terry, Rio and Vidic etc. are apt. One year of playing at the highest level isn’t enough. And seeing as they’ve all won multiple trophies and are, imo, the finest cb’s the league has had ever since I can remember, that’s only natural.

However, if he keeps up his current form, I’ll stick my neck out and say he’s up there with the best. And while trophies aren’t everything when discussing a players worth, they sure would help.
The circumstances surrounding those players are entirely different. John Terry had been something of a regular for Chelsea for nearly 5 years before they won their first PL title. & that was only after the club had received a massive cash investment from their billionaire owner. The likes of Ferdinand & Vidic joined a club that had already won quite a few PL titles, had a core of talented young players who'd come through the ranks, & had a manager who was becoming something of a Premier League Godfather. VVD as a player has improved us tremendously, to such an extent we've gone from a side that's just been trying to finish in the top 4, to one of serious title challengers. That's why he's getting so many plaudits at the minute, & it ain't just from Liverpool supporters. At this moment in time we don't know how many - if any - trophies he'll help Liverpool win. But what is beyond question, is that the impact he's made in just 12 months has been nothing short of incredible. That's not bigging him up, it's a statement of fact.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I think sky sports pundits may be taking turns fisting one out over him. Honestly, it’s getting ridiculous now

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
The circumstances surrounding those players are entirely different. John Terry had been something of a regular for Chelsea for nearly 5 years before they won their first PL title. & that was only after the club had received a massive cash investment from their billionaire owner. The likes of Ferdinand & Vidic joined a club that had already won quite a few PL titles, had a core of talented young players who'd come through the ranks, & had a manager who was becoming something of a Premier League Godfather. VVD as a player has improved us tremendously, to such an extent we've gone from a side that's just been trying to finish in the top 4, to one of serious title challengers. That's why he's getting so many plaudits at the minute, & it ain't just from Liverpool supporters. At this moment in time we don't know how many - if any - trophies he'll help Liverpool win. But what is beyond question, is that the impact he's made in just 12 months has been nothing short of incredible. That's not bigging him up, it's a statement of fact.
Sure, he’s been immense, so like I said, if he keeps it up he can rightfully be lauded as one of the greats. As of now, he’s had an incredible year but for me it takes more than that to be considered in the same bracket as those I mentioned.

cyberman

Van Dijk loves a hoof, doesn’t he? His reputation for being a ‘ball-playing’ centre-back is so overrated. How many times has he just hoofed it long tonight alone? Incredible.
He can pick a decent pass when he steps forward but his ball playing from the actual defensive positions isn't anything special.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Can say what you want but so far he s yet again been phenomenal and making the rest of Pool's D look like proper mugs. The fact City with all its attacking prowess seems to be actively avoiding him is telling.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He's a one man defence for Liverpool. Every ball into the box he clears

Sjaakmeoff

Van Dijk loves a hoof, doesn’t he? His reputation for being a ‘ball-playing’ centre-back is so overrated. How many times has he just hoofed it long tonight alone? Incredible.
He can pick a decent pass when he steps forward but his ball playing from the actual defensive positions isn't anything special.
What game are you watching?

Pace Abuser

I strongly suspect thats down to tactical instruction tonight.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
This was a helter skelter first half so the fact that he hoofed it a few times is not surprising. Overall though he is pretty good on the ball.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Colossal defender and such a calming influence. Really hope he doesn't stay in peak form for the next 5 years because otherwise we're going to suffer.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
His passing has been rank, but feck me he’s imperious in the box. Pull on to lovren all night, aguero. You’ll get not joy off this lad!

thepolice123

Easily the best defender in the league. His position awareness makes defending look so easy.

Womp

idiot
Worrying to think how hard they will be to top if they partner him with another top class CB.

Ekeke

Do long balls make you not a ball playing CB?

And do you rate Lindelof because sometimes he puts his foot through a clearance too. Doesnt stop him being our best ball playing CB

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Getting frustrated at the lack of penetration from the midfielders in front of him.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
I really dislike his histrionics when Liverpool concede a goal or someone in their team makes a mistake. Virgil throws his arms to the heavens and puts on a sour puss as if he is above all that culpability nonsense. Not to mention how he’s constantly pointing to his teammates when he’s in possession where he would like them to be as if they are children who never played the game before. We’ve all played with these football know-it-alls before and this shit becomes tiresome after a while. He’s in a rich vein of form at present but he’s a brainfart or two away from losing his mythical status. Let’s see how he reacts then. It wasn’t so long ago that Giroud bossed him in a France v Holland game, lest we forget...
See? Did you see his bullshit finger-pointing there at the death when Lovren pumped it forward towards van Dijk? Van Dijk flicked it out for a goalkick rather than getting any decent purchase on it but of course it wasn’t Virgil’s fault at all, but Lovren’s.

He’s a spoofer. An always-blameless charlatan. His schtick will wear thin very soon and his teammates will begin to detest him.

Classical Mechanic

See? Did you see his bullshit finger-pointing there at the death when Lovren pumped it forward towards van Dijk? Van Dijk flicked it out for a goalkick rather than getting any decent purchase on it but of course it wasn’t Virgil’s fault at all, but Lovren’s.

He’s a spoofer. An always-blameless charlatan. His schtick will wear thin very soon and his teammates will begin to detest him.
He hit a straight ball, it should have been more angled. Schoolboy error from Lovern.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas

:rolleyes::lol:

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I really dislike his histrionics when Liverpool concede a goal or someone in their team makes a mistake. Virgil throws his arms to the heavens and puts on a sour puss as if he is above all that culpability nonsense. Not to mention how he’s constantly pointing to his teammates when he’s in possession where he would like them to be as if they are children who never played the game before. We’ve all played with these football know-it-alls before and this shit becomes tiresome after a while. He’s in a rich vein of form at present but he’s a brainfart or two away from losing his mythical status. Let’s see how he reacts then. It wasn’t so long ago that Giroud bossed him in a France v Holland game, lest we forget...
But, isn't that him being a leader? Which is what people here seem to think we are lacking in defense.

Classical Mechanic

Nonsense. One of the worst myths in football, that. ‘It was too straight’.

Lord help us.
It’s not a myth. Straight balls are easier for defenders for obvious reasons. In that specific situation it also killed Liverpool’s last push because it went out for a GK. An angled ball is unlikely to go out for a GK and will remain live even if it goes out for a throw in for City because they have to play out with Liverpool defenders deep in their half.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

Most of the best players in the world do what you're having a pop at VVD of doing, how many times does Pogba flap his arms in the air when he gives the ball away because apparently no one gave him an option? how many times does Ronaldo do the same at his team mates when they don't pass him the ball?

Seems like you're still living in a time whereby you hope he's not as good as he really is

Niclas

Worrying to think how hard they will be to top if they partner him with another top class CB.
Same but different, if he gets injured.

Last edited by a moderator:

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I still don't know why he preferred to come to us instead of City but if he had gone there, the title would be over by now and we wouldn't be anywhere near the top. What an absolute beast, such a rock defensively. He's almost like a magnet on crosses and long balls, almost always seems to be in the right place.

TheDutchLad

Supports
Feyenoord
Easily the best defender in the prem. Can't believe we missed out on him, he was already a top 3 PL cb when playing for southampton. Also noticed that he got a Rio-esque vibe around him causing opposition to avoid 1vs1's against him. On numerous occasions I noticed Sterling and Sane avoiding the 1vs1 (instead of trying to get past him like they did all game against TAA and Lovren), which says all about his dominance.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Feck it, he is good. They should give him a statue having that good record with Lovren partnering him.