Virgil van Dijk | Performances

Falcow

United have conceded the same amount of goals in our last 14 games as liverpool have in their last 3. Just saying.

It's a shame this little wobble didnt come 2 months ago, would have made the league run in a little more interesting but unfortunately pool somehow kept winning games like the West Ham one last week I.e. dependent on keeper errors etc.

Machine Elements

Believed in his own hype. How many games did he play "without getting past" or some shit made up stat like that again?

IrishRedDevil

Scandalous that he was compared to Vidic, Ferdinand and Terry after just 2 seasons.

Those guys done it at the top level for 7/8/9 seasons.

forevrared

Absolutely awful - didn't even consider closing down Llorente for the second goal and they're out because of it.

Fts 74

Struts around the pitch like a peacock look at me I'm great.

Every goal they concede has nothing to do with him either.

Nowhere near Rio, Terry, vidic Kompany at their best imo.

TheReligion

Abusive
The legends can rest easy.

This fella is still a million miles away from lacing their boots let alone being mentioned in the same breath.

Eddy_JukeZ

It would have been the biggest farce in football history if he was the Ballon D'Or winner instead of Messi last year.

Vidic himself had a better season in 2008-2009 than Van Dijk did and no one talked about him as a Ballon D'Or challenger back then vs a worse Messi season.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Remember the good old days when nobody dribbled past him, except they did but technicalities were always bought into play.

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
Absolutely awful - didn't even consider closing down Llorente for the second goal and they're out because of it.
Gomez was stepping back, stepping back. Henderson and Milner close to it and nobody stopped him. So what's Van Dijk's fault there?
First goal was an Andrian error.
Third goal i'm not even sure he played as CB, because he was in the box, because they needed goals. Morata sprinted easily past Gomez.

I know we all have fun, because Liverpool lost, but i really don't think Van Dijk had some fault today.

forevrared

Gomez was stepping back, stepping back. Henderson and Milner close to it and nobody stopped him. So what's Van Dijk's fault there?
Third goal i'm not even sure he played as CB, because he was in the box, because they needed goals. Morata sprinted easily past Gomez.

I know we all have fun, because Liverpool lost, but i really don't think Van Dijk had some fault today.
Yea, my mistake. I was watching on a tiny, shit quality stream while working and thought Gomez was him. Still think Van Dijk's overrated.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I’m terms of the impact he’s had on our defence, I’d say he has been one of the Premier League’s outstanding defenders.

Yes other factors have contributed (Klopp, Alisson, etc) but his signing was what started a very successful period for Liverpool.

Kompany, Terry, Adams, Ferdinand etc all have longevity that he doesn’t currently but he’s still the best CB around at the moment.

thepolice123

Gomez and TAA are the ones who had bad games today. Gomez has already been exposed in recent games while TAA seems incredibly rash and hot-headed when things don't go Liverpool's way.

TheReligion

Abusive
Ballack has mugged the big man off today.

“Virgil Van Dijk is very lucky to play in an era where there is no Drogba, Lampard, Alan Shearer, Henry, Rooney, Van Persie, Tevez, Adebayor and Diego Costa in the Premier League. No wonder they think he is the best defender in the League."

Does he have a point though?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

“Virgil Van Dijk is very lucky to play in an era where there is no Drogba, Lampard, Alan Shearer, Henry, Rooney, Van Persie, Tevez, Adebayor and Diego Costa in the Premier League. No wonder they think he is the best defender in the League."

Werent Costa and Van Dyke in the prem at the same time though?

And Rooney for that matter.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool

Wasn't Ballack's nomer 'Ballache' on Redcafe in the good old days? Must have been a reason for that, I'll have to do some digging.

Has he got a point? Yes, as much as Maradona is hands down better than Messi because the defenders would attack your knees and gonads compared to now when pussy-rolling around will get the defender a red card. Have I got point though?

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Wasn't Ballack's nomer 'Ballache' on Redcafe in the good old days? Must have been a reason for that, I'll have to do some digging.

Has he got a point? Yes, as much as Maradona is hands down better than Messi because the defenders would attack your knees and gonads compared to now when pussy-rolling around will get the defender a red card. Have I got point though?
Probably not, you rarely do.
Werent Costa and Van Dyke in the prem at the same time though?

And Rooney for that matter.
I assume he means those players at his peak, though I would assume Costa and he crosses paths a few times (can't remember when Costa left the Prem).

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Probably not, you rarely do.
I assume he means those players at his peak, though I would assume Costa and he crosses paths a few times (can't remember when Costa left the Prem).
Yeah fair enough, still, these comparisons are always a bit silly. You can only beat what's in front of you. Maybe Drogba, Shearer and Van Persie were lucky because they never faced Van Dyke? It works both ways.

Not that I think he's the best defender ever or anything close to that. He's pretty good though.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool

Adebayor?

kidbob

Does Rio really think he's in the same league as the other names on that list?
I suppose on his very rare day he was a very good player but no way in hell he belongs beside those names in any year! I think its unfair on VVD too to be honest. You can only play whats in front of you and he's done that to a very high level and its not like he hasn't faced some very good strikers in their own right anyway. I mean Aguero is a level above some on that list and if we we are taking about 'on their day' then even the likes of Rashford, Martial and many others could be included from the present day.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Aguero, Aubamayeng, De Bruyne, Mane, Salah, Sterling, Lukaku, Kane, Vardy are easily of that level.

And including Shearer with Rooney are players of different eras. Might as well include Rooney, Costa in the list of strikers Van Dijk has faced eventhough they weren't at their peak. Same for defenders like Rio, Terry who didn't get to face Shearer at his peak.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Aguero, Aubamayeng, De Bruyne, Mane, Salah, Sterling, Lukaku, Kane, Vardy are easily of that level.

And including Shearer with Rooney are players of different eras. Might as well include Rooney, Costa in the list of strikers Van Dijk has faced eventhough they weren't at their peak. Same for defenders like Rio, Terry who didn't get to face Shearer at his peak.
WTF? Of course they did. well Rio did anyway, his career didn't start when he joined Man Utd

Dannic

Supports
Liverpool
It's a strange argument from Ballack. Is he saying that VVD wouldn't do as well as his peers against a type of striker that he hasn't faced? If it's just that he thinks that strikers now aren't as good as back then, then surely all defenders are in the same boat. It might make sense if he was using it as an argument comparing players across generations (although he's pulled players from quite a wide time period).

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
It's a strange argument from Ballack. Is he saying that VVD wouldn't do as well as his peers against a type of striker that he hasn't faced? If it's just that he thinks that strikers now aren't as good as back then, then surely all defenders are in the same boat. It might make sense if he was using it as an argument comparing players across generations (although he's pulled players from quite a wide time period).
That's exactly what he's saying the level of strikers and defenders are worse now, a point that's hard to argue when talking about the PL