Virgil van Dijk | Performances

Wayne's World

The league is going to be blown wide open. Him and Mane are the most influential players in that squad.

I think teams will attack Liverpool much more now, teams feared coming up against VVD and without that fear now you'll see Liverpool fall quite dramatically.

90 + 5min

Yeah, look at this tweet.

I didn't see Eiffel Tower or Rio De Janerio let in 11 goals in 4 games.

Great defender but he has started this season poorly, like whole Liverpool defence. This year, they have been saved by fluid and free scoring attack, rather then good defense.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
I’m a doctor. And I’ve had an ACL repair. So I’m familiar with what’s involved. I’m only making the point that just because an ACL tear is Grade 3 doesn’t make it any worse than what’s happened to loads of other footballers who have had good careers after an ACL repair.
Not disputing that they can come back to playing. But not in the same capacity. The recovery is not as straightforward as people make it out to be. It's heavily dependent on the person itself and how the body reacts to the graft. Age is a big factor.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I didn't see Eiffel Tower or Rio De Janerio let in 11 goals in 4 games.

Great defender but he has started this season poorly, like whole Liverpool defence. This year, they have been saved by fluid and free scoring attack, rather then good defense.
You have to admit that he's the best defender in the league and he gives them confidence no other player can do. An enormous miss. And such a shame for the lad.

This league season has shown already that it's completely unpredictable. We might actually have a surprise winner. Though I would now tip City to win without playing anything amazing.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Not disputing that they can come back to playing. But not in the same capacity. The recovery is not as straightforward as people make it out to be. It's heavily dependent on the person itself and how the body reacts to the graft. Age is a big factor.
Last bit is definitely true. Can confirm from personal experience after getting mine repaired aged 40 and rupturing the graft, aged 41!

Irrational.

This is exactly the same situation City found themselves when they lost Kompany and had Laporte out for most of the season.

Let's see how well Liverpool deal with this.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I’m a doctor. And I’ve had an ACL repair. So I’m familiar with what’s involved. I’m only making the point that just because an ACL tear is Grade 3 doesn’t make it any worse than what’s happened to loads of other footballers who have had good careers after an ACL repair.
And his biggest attributes are the reading of the game and his physical strength. He might take a while to get the same mobility going, but he'll have the Euros to focus on as an extra motivation.

I think he'll come back fine, but their season is another matter.

90 + 5min

You have to admit that he's the best defender in the league and he gives them confidence no other player can do. An enormous miss. And such a shame for the lad.

This league season has shown already that it's completely unpredictable. We might actually have a surprise winner. Though I would now tip City to win without playing anything amazing.
Best defender? One of them.

He will be a miss for them. No question about that. But it is like whole team have been injuried. They still have great attacking setup. They will still score goals. They will still play good football. We will see if they can defend, wich honestly have been shambolic all year with or without him?

Agree with season completely unpredictible.

Josh 76

The league is going to be blown wide open. Him and Mane are the most influential players in that squad.

I think teams will attack Liverpool much more now, teams feared coming up against VVD and without that fear now you'll see Liverpool fall quite dramatically.
Teams will definitely attack Liverpool more and will get more joy from corners and free kicks.

Liverpool will also lose his threat in the opposition box.

Liverpool playing from the back all went through VVD. Will be interesting to see how this effects the way they play.

VVD is not only a great defender, he is a great footballer. This is why it's a huge loss. Very similar to when we lost Rio for that drug test fiasco.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20

I won't to pretend to be disappointed that a key Liverpool player will be sidelined for up to seven months, but the challenge that led to it was disgraceful.

We would be losing our shit if it was a United player in place of VVD.
This is in no way me vindicating this or any other bad challenge but after watching that clip ( the first time I have seen the incident and admittedly looks like the clip has been sped up) it doesn't look that bad and looks as though Pickford has his eye on the ball the whole time.

Hope he has a speedy recovery, could be a tricky one at his age but look at Zlatan for instance.

cyberman

Any on the list that came back at 30?
Even if he takes 6 months to get up to speed he will be fast approaching 31 when these attributes start to fade anyway

Last edited:

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
This is in no way me vindicating this or any other bad challenge but after watching that clip ( the first time I have seen the incident and admittedly looks like the clip has been sped up) it doesn't look that bad and looks as though Pickford has his eye on the ball the whole time.

Hope he has a speedy recovery, could be a tricky one at his age but look at Zlatan for instance.
Zlatans not normal. Hes what 39 now ? Still playing in serie a. Won milan the game the other day away at inter.

Godfather

Yeah amazing isn't it. Pogba hobbles along looking in more discomfort than VVD did leaving the pitch.
Incredible. Any excuse to have a dig at one of our players. Even in a thread about a fecking Scouse player. Did he shag your mum or something?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Best defender? One of them.

He will be a miss for them. No question about that. But it is like whole team have been injuried. They still have great attacking setup. They will still score goals. They will still play good football. We will see if they can defend, wich honestly have been shambolic all year with or without him?

Agree with season completely unpredictible.
I wouldn't quite say shambolic all year (unless you mean all season). I know the hype train has been annoying as it's been relentless, but I don't see another defender in this league even close to as good. And the effect of that on the team, in terms of confidence, is huge.

We're in for an interesting season. If Ole can get things in order (big if) we might benefit from the chaos.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
It's an awkward one to word, as we all want Liverpool to lose.
But you don't really want them to have serious injuries, unless you're a bit of a questionable character.

They've had an insane run of luck with injuries, but that's certainly ended big time with this one. This is huge.
Agreed with all that bud

PoTMS

Unfortunate for him and Liverpool. Good news for the rest of the league as suddenly Liverpool look mortal.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Yeah amazing isn't it. Pogba hobbles along looking in more discomfort than VVD did leaving the pitch.
ACL injuries often aren't that painful.

A friend of mine walked off off the pitch when he did his and carried on working the next few days until he realised he couldn't bend over without his knee giving out.

It's more of a lack of mobility than a "omg this is so painful", you can see he's in discomfort but he can still walk which is quite normal.

90 + 5min

I wouldn't quite say shambolic all year (unless you mean all season). I know the hype train has been annoying as it's been relentless, but I don't see another defender in this league even close to as good. And the effect of that on the team, in terms of confidence, is huge.

We're in for an interesting season. If Ole can get things in order (big if) we might benefit from the chaos.
Sorry. Meant this season.

A-man

It's an awkward one to word, as we all want Liverpool to lose.
But you don't really want them to have serious injuries, unless you're a bit of a questionable character.

They've had an insane run of luck with injuries, but that's certainly ended big time with this one. This is huge.
This is huge.I would say he’s the most important players to his team in the whole PL, in competition with Vardy for Leicester. Especially now when they have been fighting with weak performances and desperately needed to find their way back to their normal solid defence.

Cloud7

Vidic was never anywhere near the same after he did his ACL. As much as people can point to players that have gotten back to their best after such an injury, that's the one I always think about.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
This is huge.I would say he’s the most important players to his team in the whole PL, in competition with Vardy for Leicester. Especially now when they have been fighting with weak performances and desperately needed to find their way back to their normal solid defence.
Yep, it is a major one.
It doesn't seem that long back that irrespective of what their front boys did, that their defence would let them down.

Hopefully that now happens again.

And with a less certain defence, they'll have less of the ball, and be less effective.
We can but hope.

City had their equivalent defender out for most of last season, so it's certainly evened that up.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Vidic was never anywhere near the same after he did his ACL. As much as people can point to players that have gotten back to their best after such an injury, that's the one I always think about.
I can still see that big oaf who injured him.
Didn't feel as major at the time, but it turned out to be a disaster for us and him.

A-man

Yep, it is a major one.
It doesn't seem that long back that irrespective of what their front boys did, that their defence would let them down.

And with a less certain defence, they'll have less of the ball, and be less effective.
We can but hope.

City had their equivalent defender out for most of last season, so it's certainly evened that up.
I think that is almost guaranteed. I mean the whole Liverpool tactics with the extremely aggressive press and offensive full backs and the super high line of defence all depend on a centre back who can win back almost every ball. There is no one else like him and I think they will have very difficult to play that high line and that intense press now.

AshRK

One more injury to either salah or Mane and they are properly fecked. Hard blow for them. Klopp might have them play like they did in 16-17 now. Just outscore opponents.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Yep, it is a major one.

We can but hope.

It'll be interesting to see if Klopp is as happy to let his wingbacks bomb on knowing they won't have VVD to cover them.

I think them moving Fabinho to CB alongside one of Gomez and Matip is their best option going forward. They can then flood the midfield with the likes Henderson, Wijnaldum and Keita whilst Thiago is sidelined. I think that's a pretty decent solution in the short term.

littlepeasoup

It will be fascinating how they deal with him being out. They've been shipping a lot more goals since after lockdown even - it's just that their forward line is so good. That being said, VVD is a titan at playing out from the back, and that could really affect them.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Very disappointing news. At best I was hoping he'd be out until new year/february, now we just have to get by until January to see what we can do in the market. Another CB was always needed once we let Lovren go, but we banked on him staying fit which we knew was always a risk because Matip can barely string 5 consecutive games together and Gomez has been poor for ages.

I never liked the idea of Fabinho moving into CB, he did the job against Chelsea but he had VVD alongside him. Now we'll have the Fernandinho midfield to defence type shift which didn't work out well with City in the end. There is no way I can see Gomez/Matip playing every game from now until January. Alisson out for weeks too, it's a difficult period coming up. It may a case where we'll have to outscore the opposition in the games we know we should win but be pragmatic in others, where we could see results like 2016/2017 that got us in the top 4 before the arrival of VVD.

Stacks

I don't like players doing their cruciate. It's a short career and they never come back the same. If he had broken his toe I wouldn't give a shite and would find that quite amusing but this is a one I feel bad about

Judas

Open to offers
Incredible. Any excuse to have a dig at one of our players. Even in a thread about a fecking Scouse player. Did he shag your mum or something?
What a sensitive angry little sausage you are :lol: already said I've nothing against him but you were clearly too excited to make that little angry post, I've been one of his biggest defenders on here for years, it wasn't a dig.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
He will be back towards season stronger than ever to see Liverpool won the double. Back to his best next year. This guy has waited all his career to play for a team like Liverpool and he’s incredibly strong mentally. Setback nothing more.

RU Devil

This is so sad. So very sad. I’m literally in tears. My dog just died. Ooops wrong thread.

Annoyingly I can see Liverpool now spending over the odds for Upamecano in January instead of waiting for the summer release clause and have a view to have him be VVD's long term partner.
Considering his high profile, I don't they'll be able to outbid everyone. It also depends on what their prospects are in January. They could be in the lead or in sixth, or even out of the CL.

The league has just been opened to another 3 or 4 clubs, not counting for the nominal Big 6. Belief is a big thing & it seems clubs like Villa, Leeds, Everton & Leicester just got a boost while Liverpool just suffered a hit to theirs. Gonna be an interesting ride, assuming it progresses past a COVID wave 2.

Good luck to VVD on his recovery.

He will be back towards season stronger than ever to see Liverpool won the double. Back to his best next year. This guy has waited all his career to play for a team like Liverpool and he’s incredibly strong mentally. Setback nothing more.
I assume this is a joke/ trolling post?

I find it such a standard phrase “be back stronger”, every player says it when they get an injury. All he wants it to “be back the same” - no one comes back stronger.

IrishRedDevil

Mystic Meg.
No point you going to work tomorrow, you fortune telling genius.