Virgil van Dijk | Performances

Josh 76

He will be back towards season stronger than ever to see Liverpool won the double. Back to his best next year. This guy has waited all his career to play for a team like Liverpool and he’s incredibly strong mentally. Setback nothing more.
Will he get a medal though?

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
Never ever ever like to see players get injured regardless of rivalry. I sincerely hope VVD has a speedy recovery and actually isn’t affected by the injury to the point where his abilities are significantly diminished. A top player, who in my eyes actually won them the league last season. The attack wins you games, defence wins you titles is so true. He was the difference maker. Without him and Mane they look dead average.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah but you probably said that last year too.
Van dijk has seldom missed a game since he signed. Shall we see what the defensive record was like prior to that ? (even moreso with allisson still out )

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Pickford was too aggressive throughout the match. Liverpool should have won the game, there was nothing wrong with Henderson's goal. Sorry for the big guy. I fully expect them to fall from grace with far more in squad squabbling without VVD. I think they will stay in the top 4 but will have more losses than last year. They have been riding high on an injury-free wave. I reckon Manchester Utd or Spurs will win the league now.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Van dijk has seldom missed a game since he signed. Shall we see what the defensive record was like prior to that ? (even moreso with allisson still out )
Better yet, take a look at our defensive record since the restart. Even with Van Dijk we’ve been poor defensively.

With or without him, it’s clear we’re going to fall off a bit in terms of points. But we still have one of the best squads in the league and I still think we’ll be up there come the end of the season.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Better yet, take a look at our defensive record since the restart. Even with Van Dijk we’ve been poor defensively.

With or without him, it’s clear we’re going to fall off a bit in terms of points. But we still have one of the best squads in the league and I still think we’ll be up there come the end of the season.
You will miss the direct balls from defence to wing backs which was probably your most important weapon in unlocking the defences.

Think you will struggle and will not reach anywhere near your last year tally.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea

Why since the restart? You had the title all but wrapped up by then. Look at the full picture since he went there.
We will see. I dont think you do. Trent and gomez have been in horrible form with Adrian behind them and no vvd you wont be as fine as you think imo.

Green_Red

I'm not sure how bad that injury is. He walked around the pitch without looking in too much pain. Im no expert but I suffered medial collateral ligament damage and a torn meniscus in my knee and I wasn't able to put weight on my leg at all.

I dont think its as bad as out for the season.

vulmik

I'm not sure how bad that injury is. He walked around the pitch without looking in too much pain. Im no expert but I suffered medial collateral ligament damage and a torn meniscus in my knee and I wasn't able to put weight on my leg at all.

It's a torn cruciate so it's pretty serious.
Players have walked off before on a torn cruciate, some (in other sports that I know of) have even continued playing for a short while on a torn cruciate. Walking off is not an indicator of anything.

Tarrou

Its already been confirmed as a full tear hasnt it?

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
You will miss the direct balls from defence to wing backs which was probably your most important weapon in unlocking the defences.

Think you will struggle and will not reach anywhere near your last year tally.
What do you mean by struggle? Like fall out of the top four?
Why since the restart? You had the title all but wrapped up by then. Look at the full picture since he went there.
We will see. I dont think you do. Trent and gomez have been in horrible form with Adrian behind them and no vvd you wont be as fine as you think imo.
Because our defensive form has been garbage since then. You know Van Dijk played in that Villa game right?

I’d rather have him than not obviously. But we’ve not been great defensively for a while.

If other players like Salah and Mane stay fit we’ll still end up in the 80’s in terms of points.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
What do you mean by struggle? Like fall out of the top four?
Ofcourse No. You could still win the title with around 75-80 points. That's still a good season relatively but a huge drop from your standards which you had setup in previous years.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
I'd hate to rehab that. Always knew he is key to them. But horrible way to get sidelined like that, prefer he missing a drug test and sidelined for 5 years though.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I know Van Dijk is a key player for Liverpool but watching them let goals in with their current replacement goalkeeper and their old one even when Van dijk was fit makes me feel that Allison is equally as important or even more by a single percent.

Tarrou

If it was a full acl tear and he walked off like that then he's hard as nails man.
someone mentioned earlier in the thread partial tears are a lot more painful because a full tear takes the nerve out too - so thats probably it

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Its already been confirmed as a full tear hasnt it?
A Dutch news outlet said today that he's getting surgery and that it's as yet unclear what he has exactly and how long he's out for. That was Teletekst though (a public teletext service), so brevity above everything and not necessarily up to date on all the details.

ZDwyr

If I was Klopp I'd consider just starting Fabinho at CB. He's looked relatively solid there whenever I've seen him. No less shakey than Gomez anyway. Also it mitigates the loss of passing range that comes with the VVD injury, too. Not sure if it is worth the loss in the midfield though.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He will be back towards season stronger than ever to see Liverpool won the double. Back to his best next year. This guy has waited all his career to play for a team like Liverpool and he’s incredibly strong mentally. Setback nothing more.
This is like saying the corona virus is a set back.

This is a huge thing to happen. Dreadful injury bur unfortunately always the risk in football.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

You're right...you certainly are no expert.

Marcus

I did my ACL in my younger days and never went to get it mended (because needed to do keyhole surgery to see what was the matter) . While you can put weight on your injured leg, it's the bending and lifting of the leg which is the problem. In the long run, without surgery, your stability when walking, running or jumping will never be the same.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
So what are your cb options now? Matip and Gomez? Is that it? I suspect you’ll be looking at the January market already

GMoore23

If Falcao & Ibra are anything to go by, it could be 2022 before he's anywhere near back to his best.

cyberman

So what are your cb options now? Matip and Gomez? Is that it? I suspect you’ll be looking at the January market already
They have 2 CBs and one of them is Matip who has played 795 minutes of football in 14 months.
Whoever they go for that can make a big difference wont be cheap and they have spent a lot in relative terms in Jota and Thiago. Unless they sell and go big I cant see who they can buy. Burnley defenders are being quoted at 50m ffs.

Bwuk

It's the worst case scenario for Liverpool. Van Dijk is what makes them as a team, and allows the full backs to go so high. Massive loss.

Chief123

If it was a full acl tear and he walked off like that then he's hard as nails man.
It’s actually surprising that you can fully tear your ACL but still be able to walk on it after a few mins. I tore my ACL and MCL at the same time and after being in agony for around 10 minutes, I hobbled back to the car and drove home. It is possible to walk on it and not feel the extent of the damage until later. Some people even carry on life without an ACL being repaired and can even do running without one. To play football without an ACL repair is impossible as you would literally have no stability when changing directions.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
We have more than enough cover for RB and LB but CB is very thin right now yeah - Gomez and Matip is the obvious partnership for the rest of the season but both of them are very injury prone, chances are slim to non-existent that they play the whole season out.

Cover #1 would be Fabinho, #2 might even be Henderson before we look at Nat Phillips. We also have Van den Berg who we bought last season but he hasn't looked ready for first-team football once.

Billy Koumetio is a 17-year old who was very good whenever he played for this "offseason" and I'd actually like to see more of him, but doubt Klopp will trust him into first-team football that quickly. If we are in the title race by January, we might lowkey invest in someone if there's anyone available but no way we break the bank for a stop-gap solution.

Giggsyking

Why the feck people still talking about his injury as it is not confirmed? both him and his club confirmed it and the process of rehabilitation.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
What? You sold Lovren. Left with only Van Dijk, Gomez and Matip as proper CB's.
Fabinho has always played well there whenever called upon. 4 CBs is cover for each starting CB, hence not a pressing need imo. Especially when you consider one CB had been injury-resistant for nigh on 3 years or so.

scudetto_boy

Supports
St Mirren
Pickford doesn't look like an international these days, he hasn't for a year. Matip is extremely good but can't stay injury free for more than 10 minutes & Gomez is good. The main thing is the potential psychological blow the team might experience. It all depends on the next few results, if they go well it should give Lpool confidence to soldier on. Let's see how it goes but it could fall apart at the back, hey, that has been happening since the opening game against Leeds at Anfield anyway ;)

scudetto_boy

Supports
St Mirren
What? You sold Lovren. Left with only Van Dijk, Gomez and Matip as proper CB's.
Lovern apparently wanted a game every week. Fabinho is steady in central defense despite it not being his natural position.