Virgil van Dijk | Performances

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Fabinho looked excellent tonight for them. Jammy bastards probably won't even miss him.
Agreed from a purely defensive perspective. Throw leadership in there though and you can see why they re so devastated about it. Dude doesn't give up and that's huge for any team - especially when you have some fragile characters like a Salah.

Bojan11

Fabinho looked excellent tonight for them. Jammy bastards probably won't even miss him.
He did. But Ajax were sort of wasteful tonight. I don’t think Sheffield United will be giving them problems too. Their tests come during the first Atlanta game till the Wolves games. If the defence can go during that period without any scares it will give them confidence.

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
I see Liverpool fans and pundits calling for Pickford to be banned as long as VVD is out.

Injuries happen unfortunately.

Duelofeu has only just returned from being shown where the gym was by VVD last season. Should he be out?

Should Son have been out for forever and a day for that tackle on Gomes?

As for people calling it the worst tackle ever .....

Wright on Schmeichel,
Brown on Giggs,
Carragher on Nani,
McManaman on Haidara,
Taylor on Eduardo
Thatcher on Mendes
Keane on Haaland
Hunt on Cech

Sylar

They are still acting like VVD died or hes the first person to ever get injured.

By they I mean the fans, or some of the media. Even just heard Klopps rant from a few days ago.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
It's insane, reading the media, listening to some interviews, it's like this is the first ever injury of the kind. I feel sorry for VVD cos such a long recovery will be tough for any professional, and I think Pickford is an absolute idiot, but the overall reaction is completely ridiculous - but probably expected given the lunatics over there.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
He better be fit for the Euro's.
If we can't have him, neither can you :p Worst thing is that he actually might just be fit enough and you'll play him anyway just like Egypt did with Salah in 2018.

Praying here that he misses out.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
He better be fit for the Euro's.
Meh,

You'll just have to use one our your other superb CB options...sigh!!

Botman is class, Blind is decent as CB, De Vrij, Ake, De Ligt...I'm sure you'll manage :lol:

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Praying here that he misses out.
Reported. 3 points incoming.

Note: Wishing injury on a player/hoping an existing injury is a lengthy one is a standard 3 point warning on this forum, so if you have nothing constructive to say I’d suggest you don’t say anything

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Truly shocking. Reprehensible.
I wouldn't have any problems with it if he was declared fully fit but it's highly unlikely, not to say quite impossible for him to be at 100% at the start of the Euros after an ACL tear which he sustained mid-October.

So yeah, I'd rather he makes a full recovery with an extended rehab rather than that he'll be rushed back to play for Holland (a team I can't stand anyway). Can't remember which Utd player it was but think I've read the same about one that you wouldn't be too fussed about if he missed a tournament (Rashford in 2018? Just a wild guess).

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Meh,

You'll just have to use one our your other superb CB options...sigh!!

Botman is class, Blind is decent as CB, De Vrij, Ake, De Ligt...I'm sure you'll manage :lol:
De Vrij and De Ligt have not been a great partnership so far. I like Blind - De Ligt as it has both strength and Football, but honestly, Van Dijk is really our leader in the back. It will be De Ligt in a few years, but he's a bit young still.

Still weird, how we're suddenly a side with a lot of good defenders. Where were these guys in the years we had Robben and Ruud upfront instead of Promes and Luuk de Jong.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I wonder if he'll comeback even partially the same player.

A knee ligament injury in the latter stages of your prime (he's 29) is career ending in many cases, at least in terms of playing at the highest level.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool

A knee ligament injury in the latter stages of your prime (he's 29) is career ending in many cases, at least in terms of playing at the highest level.
Not anymore, it's just the lengthy lay-off that could affect a player these days. The joint is as strong as it was before and it's basically a standard injury process and rehab these days, especially in e.g. the NFL where it's a very common injury and players are just fine the season after. Technologies are so advanced that it's a lot more likely than not that you get back to your previous level. An achilles tear is much, much worse for example.

Shearer, Xavi, Van Nistelrooij, Ibrahimovic, ... Enough examples too really.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
De Vrij and De Ligt have not been a great partnership so far. I like Blind - De Ligt as it has both strength and Football, but honestly, Van Dijk is really our leader in the back. It will be De Ligt in a few years, but he's a bit young still.

Still weird, how we're suddenly a side with a lot of good defenders. Where were these guys in the years we had Robben and Ruud upfront instead of Promes and Luuk de Jong.
Exactly!! Thats the funny thing about Dutch football, over the years you have been blessed with some top attackers, brilliant midfielders and amazing defenders, just never at their peak at the same time!

Blind is such an underated CB, you out him next to someone with a bit more pace and he thrives, but yeah VVD is tsill going to be a miss despite the riches you have at the back.

Danny Roberts

Note: Wishing injury on a player/hoping an existing injury is a lengthy one is a standard 3 point warning on this forum, so if you have nothing constructive to say I’d suggest you don’t say anything
Have you reported your neighbours for Covid infringements too?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Not anymore, it's just the lengthy lay-off that could affect a player these days. The joint is as strong as it was before and it's basically a standard injury process and rehab these days, especially in e.g. the NFL where it's a very common injury and players are just fine the season after. Technologies are so advanced that it's a lot more likely than not that you get back to your previous level. An achilles tear is much, much worse for example.

I mean to include the lengthy lay-off in combination with the ligament issue.

There's no guarantee, but I feel it would be a huge ask to have him operate at the same previously high standard.

He'll probably be plenty good enough for the PL however.

It is pretty rare I will stand up for a Liverpool fan.

but it’s clear @RobinLFC is thinking about his long term health. Missing the vast amount of a season and then going into tournament football is a massive risk - and more likely to have negative effect on him being able to play next season.

I assume he’s hoping he has the summer as recovery, and a proper pre-season. If it was a United player, I wouldn’t want them playing on the Euros this summer.

pretty pathetic from @Samid - unless of course your winding up a Liverpool fan, then fair play. :lol:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

While you're right in that they're a lot better at recovering, natural age decline still plays a toll and big injuries accelerate that. Nobody knows how he'll come back physically, Vidic tore his ACL at a similar age when he was the best in the world and he was a shadow of his former self when he came back (or had the 1 excellent season again before the decline). If you assume players start declining physically in their early 30's (always true), a big injury that makes them miss one of their final "prime" years will always have a big impact. He can adapt though, and the thing that accelerated Vidics fall was the niggles he suffered after.

Ibra is a freak of nature who came back after 9 months, but himself didn't feel like he could be the same so went to the MLS for 2 years (probably expected to retire as he was mid-late 30's)... before saying feck it he still feels good he can do it again. Id say he's an exception! Van Dijk was at such a high level at his peak that he'll still be a top CB, just unlikely the same, and probably not for as long either.

GMoore23

Unbelievable that a 37 year old Zlatan recovered from his, which looked a really bad one to boot in just 7 months. He's no ordinary lion though. :)

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag

Get out of here with your magic thinking. What joint are you talking about? Then tendon or the ligament?

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
It is pretty rare I will stand up for a Liverpool fan.

but it’s clear @RobinLFC is thinking about his long term health. Missing the vast amount of a season and then going into tournament football is a massive risk - and more likely to have negative effect on him being able to play next season.

I assume he’s hoping he has the summer as recovery, and a proper pre-season. If it was a United player, I wouldn’t want them playing on the Euros this summer.

pretty pathetic from @Samid - unless of course your winding up a Liverpool fan, then fair play. :lol:
Which is why I didn't even bother to reply tbh. Just surprised he didn't bump a thread in the process.

He's joking lads :D

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Get out of here with your magic thinking. What joint are you talking about? Then tendon or the ligament?
The knee joint, of which the ACL is one of the key ligaments. The whole joint gets back to full strength after a recovery. What magic thinking are you talking about?

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
The knee joint, of which the ACL is one of the key ligaments. The whole joint gets back to full strength after a recovery. What magic thinking are you talking about?
That an ACL tear heals perfectly. You're never the same after. Despite the success stories, it's one of the most handicapping injuries around.

Van Dijk has very good balance however. Legs well aligned.

GMoore23

If he's out for the season, I honestly think they'll struggle to make top 4.
That’s a massive stretch.
I honestly think you'll be surprised.
It is as we’ll comfortably be top 4. However the title willl be a massive ask. The tackle on Thiago was almost as bad and I’ll be equally surprised if he isn’t out for a period of time either. Getting up and playing on after doesn’t actually prove anything. Plenty of players have walked off after an ACL.

The Thiago one was after the whistle too no doubt in my mind that neither challenge wasn’t deliberate. It’s not really sunk in now but how disgraceful this game was will he looked back on in years to come.

Great for the neutral though. League is wide open and any team capable of putting a run of form together will he in with a shout. Shame really as I did think we’d pick up another this season.
They're still favourites. Apart from CBs and Firmino, they still have the best and most balanced first 11 (not backup) in the league. And who even has good centre backs these days? VVD himself was looking like crap of late.
I Called it in mid October
Chelsea, Everton and West Ham all with games in hand which could possibly land Liverpool in 7th :lol: :lol:

Last edited:

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Chelsea, Everton and West Ham all with games in which could possibly land Liverpool in 7th :lol: :lol:
In my defence this was prior to losing Gomez as well and the other injuries. He wasn’t playing well before his injury either. We let 7 in at Villa with him.

cyberman

Chelsea, Everton and West Ham all with games in which could possibly land Liverpool in 7th :lol: :lol:
It was a weird period to be fair. We couldn't win the league with Lindelof as a starter but Liverpool were favourites with Henderson back there.
It never made sense.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
On our 16th centreback combination so far this season. I reckon we'll reach 20 before the end of the season.