Virgil van Dijk | Performances

Calidad

Supports
Hibernian
Looks finished.

Hope he’s given a testimonial match.

largelyworried

Well on the basis of that fifteen seconds of football I feel confident saying that he is now finished and that there is no way this comment could come back and haunt me later this season.

cyberman

Itll be Christmas until hes anywhere near what he was and they will be long out of the title race by then

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Itll be Christmas until hes anywhere near what he was and they will be long out of the title race by then
A bold statement. We finished third without Gomez, Van Dijk and Matip for most of the season. I wouldn't rule any of Chelsea, United, City or Liverpool out of the title race at this stage.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Well on the basis of that fifteen seconds of football I feel confident saying that he is now finished and that there is no way this comment could come back and haunt me later this season.
Don't ask me why, but I think you're actually hugely concerned about his return.

cyberman

A bold statement. We finished third without Gomez, Van Dijk and Matip for most of the season. I wouldn't rule any of Chelsea, United, City or Liverpool out of the title race at this stage.
But you were never in a title race last year? Its worse playing a half fit defender than a lesser player who is fully fit.

Chief123

He looks shocking. You love to see it.

Jokes aside, it will be incredibly hard for him to be back at the level he was from a psychological point of view more than anything.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

Bit rusty
Which knee was it that he injured? Looking at the stills from that it's weird, doesn't look like he slips or even missteps, unless he got his trailing leg (right leg) somehow caught with the player or ball.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
But you were never in a title race last year? Its worse playing a half fit defender than a lesser player who is fully fit.
We were top at Christmas if I remember correctly, then fell apart. I'd argue that we would've finished a bit closer to City without the defensive injuries. I don't think we would've lost six home games in a row.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Which knee was it that he injured? Looking at the stills from that it's weird, doesn't look like he slips or even missteps, unless he got his trailing leg (right leg) somehow caught with the player or ball.
I think it was the left but I might be wrong.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
A bit of rust and maybe some subconscious hesitancy to go into a challenge. It'll all come back to him with game time, unfortunately.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
No matter what people tell me, unless we're 100 years in the future and we have tech not to mend, but regenerate ligaments, he will never be the same.

FujiVice

30 years old coming back from a year out with an injury that has finished some good players. Cant imagine we'll see the Van Dijk of 2019 ever again.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Early days but I think in the longterm he may need to adapt his game and Klopp has to adapt along with it.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I'm sure he'll be annoyingly good again in no time.

RedDevilRoshi

Said it for weeks that there are question marks over if he will still be the same player he was before that ACL.

It could either end up being like Vidic or Ibra. I guess we’ll see over time but I won’t be sticking him into any fantasy football teams just yet.

Last edited:

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Best defender in the world of all time bar none for that 6-9 month period a couple of years ago.

white text is white

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Ah we are gonna see him roaring back to his best by october. May be fun to see a star rival feck up in pre season but we know deep down he will be a rock for them.

Such a bloody shame we dont think about buying a proven CB for Harry to work with

York

Watch it again. It's clearly his right leg that gets caught. His left leg was never involved.

edcunited1878

He'll get the time needed and benefit of the doubt of getting to a high level again. Needs a few months to really get it into gear and test his limits. That still will be very high and he'll provide leadership at the back that was sorely missing last year.

El-Manos

Ah we are gonna see him roaring back to his best by october. May be fun to see a star rival feck up in pre season but we know deep down he will be a rock for them.

Such a bloody shame we dont think about buying a proven CB for Harry to work with
Varane? Or is this a piss take :lol:

cyberman

A lesser player like Konate?
Yes. He is more Eric Bailly then Eric Bailly ever was.
Theres a lot of standing still with Liverpool and its not from a position of strength. Your side is already 12 months out from needing a refresh.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Theres a lot of standing still with Liverpool and its not from a position of strength. Your side is already 12 months out from needing a refresh.
We've got the refresh, finally. It was called a summer break. Salah and Mane are now enjoying their football and looking like their previous CL/PL winning selves.

Next season we'll have an age problem but we shouldn't really be talking about 1) history or 2) the dawning of 'next season'. :p

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
As for Eric Bailly, if Konate can avoid Eric's injury woes I'll snap your hand off for that comparison.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

Bit rusty
I don't want to go overboard with the reaction as he's obviously going to struggle a lot to regain his form after such an injury, but this looks properly devastating. It will be very interesting to watch him this season.