Virgil Van Dijk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bojan11

That's what Southampton bought him for off Celtic i think.

They're gonna make an absolute fortune off him now. Could even see him ending up somewhere like Barcelona.
Can't really see that happening especially for the money Southampton would want. Barca already have Umtiti, Pique and Mascherano. They'd get rid of Matthieu and get a backup CB. The area they'd want to significantly spend on is right back.

tomaldinho1

We need this guy - so good on the ball for a giant and dominant. Would have thought he is a Mou player

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I'm shocked by how good he is. When Southampton signed him, I had a good old chuckle. But every time I have seen him play this season he has been fantastic. Really, really great passer of the ball. Has everything really. Would love to sign him.

izec

Said it a few times this season, but he is immense.

He needed a few months to get going in the league, but now he is an absolute beast. Showed this season that he is one of the best in the league, his composure is unreal. The only CB we could go for in England.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
I haven't really seen any fees quoted but I'd assume it'd be at least £30 million to get him. Honestly I think he's as good as our best CB (Matip), maybe better and would be worth the money.
That's what Southampton bought him for off Celtic i think.

They're gonna make an absolute fortune off him now. Could even see him ending up somewhere like Barcelona.
It wouldn't surprise me if they just used the price from his Transfermarkt value. I can see him going for over £40 mil, given his importance and the years left on his contract.

Sadly he's got Liverpool written all over
The links to Liverpool seem to stem from this, “I believe they’re interested in Van Dijk, when the transfer window opens up,” Micky Quinn revealed. “They love a Southampton player, they’ll probably go back again.” Sounds like guess work to me. Even LiverpoolEcho put , 'Yes, Micky Quinn says Liverpool are going to buy Van Dijk. You might want to pick up a fistful of salt for this one, never mind a pinch.'

I'm wary of going for a Southampton player after they dry bummed us by getting 55M for Shaw and Schneiderlin.
What cheaper alternatives do you have in mind? Conversely, I hope he could have a galvanizing influence like Mane for Liverpool who is arguably the best right winger in the league, Alderweireld, arguably the best central defender in the league, and Shaw, arguably the most talented best left back in the league.

bucky

If Mourinho truly thinks Blind and Rojo are left-backs, he could be in for him. Jones will be gone and is a nonentity. I doubt Mourinho counts on him.

MrSingh2002

I really like him. The calmness and authority he shows at the back we could do with. Not 100% sure he would be successful here but I'd take him over Smalling, Blind and Jones at centreback so why not. Buy him and let Jones go I guess.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Y'all in for a shock. He really isn't that good. Been conceding left and right with the Dutch squad and performed horribly in the CL although one can excuse him for that because Celtic in general was atrocious. Nevertheless, he also has moments like this:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Y'all in for a shock. He really isn't that good. Been conceding left and right with the Dutch squad and performed horribly in the CL although one can excuse him for that because Celtic in general was atrocious. Nevertheless, he also has moments like this:
Don't let logic get in the way of a good argument. It's typical Caf behaviour to rant and rave about a player and then get pissy when he's nowhere near as good as that if/when he joins the club.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
He's been immense for the dutch nt, not his fault that the others have been shit.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
He's been immense for the dutch nt, not his fault that the others have been shit.
I really have to disagree with that. He has been reasonably solid I guess but I wouldn't use the word 'immense'.

Devil may care

He was excellent against Inter last night, not just defensively but his leadership in pulling his team back into the game when they were 1-0 down. He presents 1 of 3 good options for us to get as Bailly's long term partner.

Robbie Boy

He was excellent against Inter last night, not just defensively but his leadership in pulling his team back into the game when they were 1-0 down. He presents 1 of 3 good options for us to get as Bailly's long term partner.
Yeah but some on the Caf have decided now that he's overrated. Those same posters probably haven't bothered to watch him much but have merely decided that he's overrated because people on here rate him. He was also voted MOTM by most outlets after last nights win. Weird place sometimes.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
His progression has been stellar. He's on par with Bailly in terms of impact. Top defender.

macwemyss

I thought we should have been in for Van Dijk when he was at Celtic, but (inexplicably imo) we went for Rojo instead for £7m more. I think we saw earlier in the season how much it helps Bailly having someone calm and comfortable on the ball next to him, and unlike Blind, Van Dijk is also very strong physically so we don't risk him getting targeted and bullied by bigger strikers - I would like to see us look into signing him (or someone similar) as a long term partner for Bailly. Not every signing has to be a galactico and he might be the most suitable (and attainable) option for us at CB.

Devil may care

Yeah but some on the Caf have decided now that he's overrated. Those same posters probably haven't bothered to watch him much but have merely decided that he's overrated because people on here rate him. He was also voted MOTM by most outlets after last nights win. Weird place sometimes.
It's strange. The video posted of a mistake he made is like the one posted of one of Bailly's howlers in La Liga, all CB's make errors, there's no escaping that.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
If we try for this guy in january Southampton will go ballistic and demand £50m for him.

Then again, Luiz..

Hojoon

Beaten by Dawson for Hull's second goal today. To be fair, it was a fantastic delivery and a very good header by Dawson.

Stadjer

He isnt as good for our NT as he is for Southampton, he also has to play with Jeffrey Bruma most of the time so that could be a big factor. I would love to see de Vrij fit again so he and Virgil can be a our NT partnership.

I actually live in Groningen, Virgil played her before he went to Celtic. Still can't believe our traditional top 3 (Ajax, PSV, Feyenoord) never showed any interest in him since he was a good young and Dutch Eredivisie defender back then.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
He's excellent. Would look great with better defenders around him, better keeper behind, and a better midfield ahead.

izec

fecking hell, some people on here will bump this thread every month to tell us he made a mistake :eek: shock horror, tell me one defender that doesnt make the occasional mistake or loses some headers. Godin hasnt looked like a defending god the last few games either. I dont understand what his mistakes a year ago have to do anything with his current version either. He has improved massively since the first few games he made in the league. He was a joke back then.

For some on here, only prime Vidic or Rio
would be good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.