Vitória with 18 players sick to face Sporting

Superunknown

Sporting should have no say in the matter, the League should make a call.
100% this.

It shouldn't be down to the teams when or where they play. The league should remain neutral and make the calls. It's rubbish luck, but it's unfair to then place responsibility of this on Sporting. They just want to play their games according to the fixture list. If the league body moves the game, then fair enough.

Gasolin

Circumstances are really really terrible for Vitoria, but Sporting demand to play on that day is legit. It's just the number of players sick that makes it a big story but if it was a couple of big players important for Vitoria who were injured, would they ask to postpone? Obviously no, football carries on. There's no excuses, even though it's perfectly understandable.

Now if the league makes the call, that's another story. It's a reasonable call.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Hope they manage to successfully infect as many as possible of sporting's squad.

D4X73r

my local team had nearly the same with their opponents (sunday-league football). Our team said "it's not our problem" as we were struggling to even win one game in the season. the day came and the opponent fielded "retired" players and kids and still beat our team 3:0 :(

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I don't see why it's down to the other team to show mercy, the league should police this kind of thing.

my local team had nearly the same with their opponents (sunday-league football). Our team said "it's not our problem" as we were struggling to even win one game in the season. the day came and the opponent fielded "retired" players and kids and still beat our team 3:0 :(
:lol: All you deserve you unsporting shits

Bestietom

OK, not that this matters much for fans outside Portugal, but this has got people talking here and I'd like to hear opinions from people who have no dog in the race.

Basically tomorrow Sporting will play Vitória Setúbal, but in the last couple of days a virus has spread among the Vitória squad and according to the club they have 18 out of 26 players sick. They had to go to the hospital yesterday and haven't been training.

Vitória asked Sporting to postpone the match to be played in the next day of cup fixtures, since both teams have been knocked out and won't play that day.

Sporting has refused and apparently according to regulations the league can't do anything if Sporting doesn't accept it and Vitória will have to play with youth players.

So if you were a Sporting fan would you want your team to accept postponing the match or would you take an easy game against a weakened opponent? Of course here Sporting fans say it's not their fault and they don't want to have a congestion of fixtures later on, opponents are calling them out for not having fair play.

What says the caf?
Feck. Transfer delayed again, with "Bruno after picking up a virus".

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
@maniak what happened with this? I had a look online and didn't see any stories about a battering.
Some players ended up playing and this mixed with Sporting being so poor this season ended up with a normal result. I couldn't catch the match but I was told it wasn't visible the players were sick.

A couple of pundits suggested a day later that maybe the Vitória president tried to make things worse and exaggerated the facts because he will go to elections in a couple of months and a polemic with Sporting would get him votes. A big soap opera right now, nobody seems really sure what's going on. I doubt the players would go along with something like that but who knows.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Classic Championship Manager scenario, sometimes you'd have almost the whole first team out with flu. Deal with it.
I remember in CM 00/01 it was almost impossible to win the club world cup because it was pre season and the players were always unfit.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
What happening to sportsmanship and a fair game, surely the league should step in and postpone the fixture.
It's Portugal. I've watched Braga come play in Iceland twice and they were a miserable opponent. Hounding the ref, time wasting, playing dirty, just the works and that against a semi-pro team. Fair play doesn't exist in their vocabulary.

Ludens the Red

@maniak you bastard with your fake news. I lost 50£ on Sporting to win both halves at 3/1. youre on my list now.....I swear vengeance in this life or another.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
This president is a Cnut piece of shite. Thats the short answer. Come on lightning work your magic one of these days ;);)

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
That's not very sporting of Sporting. Just seems to be capitalising on another teams misfortune.
We struggled to beat them too. Says a lot about this team to be honest. Thanks Varandas:nervous:

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
It's Portugal. I've watched Braga come play in Iceland twice and they were a miserable opponent. Hounding the ref, time wasting, playing dirty, just the works and that against a semi-pro team. Fair play doesn't exist in their vocabulary.
Pretty harsh based on one match.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
@maniak you bastard with your fake news. I lost 50£ on Sporting to win both halves at 3/1. youre on my list now.....I swear vengeance in this life or another.
I support Arsenal, I don't think vengeance is gonna make things that much worse.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
feck no. Not even a flinch of thought for me. It's a squad game.

Snow

Pretty harsh based on one match.
Not one match. That was just an example of a Portuguese team playing extremely dirty against semi-pros. I've watched Portuguese teams for over a decade and they've got other European teams comfortably beat in the dark arts. The NT is no different. Incredibly sore losers.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Not one match. That was just an example of a Portuguese team playing extremely dirty against semi-pros. I've watched Portuguese teams for over a decade and they've got other European teams comfortably beat in the dark arts. The NT is no different. Incredibly sore losers.
I don't see any difference from other southern european countries, but fair enough, it's your opinion.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah just 3-1 victory.
Pretty respectable performance from Vitoria, couple of silly errors cost them, getting offside step up wrong, giving the ball away in side own half and GK couldn't hold on, had chances for 2-2:

Snow

I don't see any difference from other southern european countries, but fair enough, it's your opinion.
I think the bigger difference is that Portuguese teams have a higher concentration of S-American players where cheating is considered a virtue. I mentioned Braga and they were usually ~70-80% Brazilian.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Was the right call to play. Sporting may have a single important player out if rearranged and end up losing points.

Vooon

Hal Institute for Criminally Insane Robots
I remember in CM 00/01 it was almost impossible to win the club world cup because it was pre season and the players were always unfit.
Haha. In CM 01-02 you'd always have a nightmare of a last week of the season if you played the club world cup and did well in both the CL and FA Cup since matches were being rearranged again and again all the time. I recall playing 5 league matches in 7 days the last week. Had a few issues with match fitness after a couple.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Haha. In CM 01-02 you'd always have a nightmare of a last week of the season if you played the club world cup and did well in both the CL and FA Cup since matches were being rearranged again and again all the time. I recall playing 5 league matches in 7 days the last week. Had a few issues with match fitness after a couple.
So many CL's with the Tó Madeira / Maxim Tsigalko partnership.