Voting Systems Discussion

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
To follow up on this conversation in the thread on the fall of the Dutch government:
It doesn't make the news because its happened about 10+ times in the last 20 years. Those that like PR voting systems, this is what can happen. The decision to dissolve was the right one. The alternative was worse in the current climate.
Not sure what this has to do with the voting system. Dutch governments are pretty stable, and certainly no less stable than e.g. Canadian ones. In any case, the coalition was completely in agreement here about the need to resign. And the underlying reason isn't coalition-related either; it's bad-faith administration that's been encouraged at first and covered up subsequently.
This time was different yes. Previously not, my point is that when you have to form a govt from multiple parties to get a majority, it only takes 1 or 2 people to resign and then collapse. Its happened so many times.
I guess it's not for this thread, but I disagree. Dutch governments don't fall very often at all. And anyway, the alternative (first past the post/winner takes all) is infinitely worse. It would help if a couple of parties merged though (like happened before with GL and CDA); it's getting a little splintered right now.
The topic had no relevance there, but I'd be interested to have a discussion on this. So let's have a 'little' wall of text.

To start off, I would distinguish between three main voting systems: first past the post/winner takes all (FPTP), Ranked Voting (RV), and proportional representation (PR). (I see run-off systems as a mix of FPTP and RV.) There are variants to each, but I think those are the basics.

The obvious advantage of PR is that each vote counts. In the other systems, people who like a party that will never win their riding are often left without any way to get represented as they would like to. Worse, if your candidate isn't elected, your vote is essentially lost: it will have had no influence on what happens in parliament. And worst, voting for their preferred candidate might help their least preferred candidate take the riding. This rarely happens in PR, where every vote contributes towards the party's overall vote percentage. Of course, you can still vote for a tiny party that does not get enough votes to win even a single seat in parliament (here, a parliament entry threshold system like in Germany could be discussed); but that's no better in other systems.

A common argument against PR is that its governments are unstable. To my knowledge, that's not based in fact. I can't speak for every country, but certainly in the Netherlands, Germany, and Finland, fallen governments are rare, and I think it's the same in Denmark, Sweden, and Norway. (In response to @Stanley Road's first comment: the Dutch government has actually only fallen four times since the 80s, including the 2002 (with LPF) and 2010 (minority with 'support' from PVV) governments that should never have been formed in the first place. I.e., I would attritube that to political incompetence rather than the voting system.) It's different in Belgium, but that's rather due to its variant of federalism, in which each federal district has its own political party, leading to excessive splintering of the political landscape.

I would also argue that the stability of FPTP government is not just a good thing. First, it's overrated: the UK anyway has seen multiple interim elections in recent years (I don't think special circumstances excuse that), and in Canada with its multiple parties, minority governments are not uncommon, and always expected to end early. (See right now: everyone has been expecting elections 'soon' ever since the current government took power.)

Second, questions can be raised about the representativeness of single-party governments. They often won't have the majority of the popular vote behind them (usually 35-45% in Canada), yet may get to reign with little ability to check them.

That's less likely to happen in a (relatively) strict two-party landscape like in the US, but there you see another downside of this approach: big policy swings from one government to another. I see only negatives to that, and they're much less likely in coalition-based governments, in which often at least one party was also in power previously. That may suggest that change is slow to come in coalition countries, but that's clearly not true, given that the coalition countries I listed above (and I can add New Zealand and Switzerland here) are some of the most progressive in the world.

To change focus a little, Trudeau here in Canada argued that RP is undesirable, as it can give dangerous fringe groups a voice in parliament. While that's true, it's only part of the story. First, PR also allows non-dangerous minority groups to have a voice. They are often underrepresented in politics, especially if they don't carry enough electoral weight to be worth considering for existing parties. Second, if these dangerous people can't create their own voice, they will try to get heard through existing parties. I think a simple reference to the US Republican party suffices to point out where that can lead to. Arguably, that's worse then these people founding a party that gets a couple of seats in parliament.

I suppose RV might represent an attractive middle ground between FPTP and PR, but while I agree that it's better than FPTP, it's got nothing on PR. Being able to rank candidates means you get to have more influence on the election of candidates than in FPTP, but your vote might still not go to your preferred candidate. And if your top or otherwise ranked candidates aren't elected, your vote is still essentially lost. Also, RV favours centrist parties, who are more likely to be people's next-ranked choice.

I want to add here that I don't think all RP systems are equally good. For example, the Dutch system uses single party lists nationwide, and as a consequence, the Randstad (the Utrecht - Amsterdam - Rotterdam - The Hague circle) is overrepresented in parliament. For that reason, I would prefer something like mixed-member proportional representation, where there is also a regional dimension, guaranteeing that the entire geography of a country is represented in its parliament. (Not necessarily it's entire diversity, certainly not among parliamentarians; but I think that's a separate discussion.)

OK, that's me. I'm probably forgetting some stuff and made some errors, but I've been rambling long enough now. Can't risk making Trump jealous. So: bring it on!

I'm glad you believe have good reasons to assume that.
Fixed that for you. ;)

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
PR works fine here in Portugal. Occasionally a government will fall, but that usually has to be felt to be in accordance with the wishes of the voters, otherwise the party/parties responsible for it will be punished by voters in the following elections.

It works well in my opinion, it forces parties to open up. I find FPTP absurd, a waste of votes.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
PR-STV is the one we use here in Ireland, it works unlike Britain the far right or far left have little to no chance of getting in the the Dail as transfers will always go to the bigger more stable parties, even if a nut job gets a lot of 1st preference they would be unlikely to get a lot of transfers or if they did have a chance of getting transfers they would be eliminated by then.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
PR-STV is the one we use here in Ireland, it works unlike Britain the far right or far left have little to no chance of getting in the the Dail as transfers will always go to the bigger more stable parties, even if a nut job gets a lot of 1st preference they would be unlikely to get a lot of transfers or if they did have a chance of getting transfers they would be eliminated by then.
Could you elaborate on the system a bit? I looked it up on Wikipedia, but the description made it look pretty complex - which I'm sure it isn't for individual voters. It's some kind of mix between RV and PR, I understand?

Vooon

Hal Institute for Criminally Insane Robots
I want to add here that I don't think all RP systems are equally good. For example, the Dutch system uses single party lists nationwide, and as a consequence, the Randstad (the Utrecht - Amsterdam - Rotterdam - The Hague circle) is overrepresented in parliament. For that reason, I would prefer something like mixed-member proportional representation, where there is also a regional dimension, guaranteeing that the entire geography of a country is represented in its parliament. (Not necessarily it's entire diversity, certainly not among parliamentarians; but I think that's a separate discussion.)
I'm not an expert on Norway, where I live obvs, but I think what you describe here is our system. I think the gist of it is every vote counts, there's a minimum percentage of votes needed to get an MP, and another limit to get quite a few more MPs and actual power (I think it's 4%), and we've got a system which ensures all counties are represented. The last system makes Northern Norway over represented based on their population though. We've also got about 3-4 rather large parties and 3-4 quite small ones, with some slight variations from election to election. There's hasn't been one majority party since the 50s or 60s I think (Labour). It's been pretty stable all the way up until recently when the right wing "progressive" party decided to leave the government two years ahead of this year's election, but they're still pretty much supporting it from case to case.

To me the British and American models come across as the worst out there and not desirable at all. Two party systems seem to be particularly vulnerable based on the way things have developed in the US the last decades. Also, when you can win the popular vote by seven million votes, but still only win the electorates by a margin of maybe 2-300.000 that, to me, proves that the system is rotten and very much in need of reform.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I'm a big believer in PR, it just seems like the most logical thing to do. FPTP just voids the will of a very large part of the people. Especially the insane system in the US, where in some cases the majority of the void is in the losing party and therefore worthless.

The instability of PR isnt even necessarily a bad thing as when a chosen government is no longer representing the will of the people the opposition should have tangible ways of removing them. To again make a parallel to the US, the road to impeachment there is ridiculous. How in the world is the president's own party a big (if not the biggest) deciding party in the result of impeachment. It's like asking Cristiano Ronaldo to decide who gets the Balon d'or. Of course this is not entirely related to the voting system, but still.

Another thing that's a regular point of discussion is the election of officials. For instance, a lot of people want us to start electing mayors in The Netherlands. I personally think that's rubbish. A major should be a competent administrator, not the person with the nicest tie and ability to sound like Obama when speaking in public. And therein lies the biggest problem in politics throughout the history of the world. The masses arent interested in boring bureaucracy, the masses like Idols and Big Brother (or gladiators / burning witches / whatever they got off on in the past), so the majority will vote for the charismatic airhead over the boring but competent politician 10 times out of 10. Having us decide who will be our major, sherriff, book clerk is silly, we're not capable of making this decision. Same goes for the referendum.

Bit of a weird rant at this point.

Vote SP!

MoskvaRed

The FPTP system worked reasonably well in an era when the majority of the population was agreed on a basic consensus and was arguing over its extent and limitations (so, in the UK, 1951 to 1979 and 1992 to 2010). When politics becomes like a United v Liverpool discussion, it becomes, based on arbitrary seat or state allocation, majoritarian tyranny biased in favour of one side (the Thatcher era or the current Tories turned UKIP or the GOP in their new “managed democracy” styling).

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
The ultimate system hasn't been invented yet.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
I favour a pure PR system, which means that even if you only get 0.05% of the vote, you still get 0.05% of the elected reps: democracy in its purest form.

Yes, it means that extremist parties will likely get reps too, but it's better to have them inside the tent pissing out than vice-versa.

And yes, it makes coalition government more likely, but most big parties in (for example) a first-past-the-post system are coalitions anyway - albeit disguised and artificial coalitions, forced into a single party by the necessities of creating a chance of winning under a voting system that denies such a chance to smaller parties. So a pure PR system merely makes explicit and transparent the make-up of any coalition government that results.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Yes, it means that extremist parties will likely get reps too, but it's better to have them inside the tent pissing out than vice-versa.
I agree on this. Better to get them out in the open. Also, encapsulating people in the political system forces them to be a little less crazy or be completely useless. Both are good, and better than keeping ideas hidden that are actually big enough to attract at least the percentage of votes required to get at least one seat in parliament. (Whatever that percentage is in each country, but it will always represent a large number of people.)

And yes, it makes coalition government more likely, but most big parties in (for example) a first-past-the-post system are coalitions anyway - albeit disguised and artificial coalitions, forced into a single party by the necessities of creating a chance of winning under a voting system that denies such a chance to smaller parties. So a pure PR system merely makes explicit and transparent the make-up of any coalition government that results.
That's a good way of looking at it that I hadn't really considered before. It's absolutely true: see the Tories fighting amongst themselves about Brexit, split between hardliners and softliners (that's a word if hardliners is), or the current US democratic party being pulled left and right by its different factions. Of course, those groups are less clearly demarcated if they reside within the same party, as you can mix and match your ideas more to fit different factions for different subjects; but the idea is the same: it's a coalition. (What else does 'big tent party' refer to anyway?)

The Firestarter

I favour a pure PR system, which means that even if you only get 0.05% of the vote, you still get 0.05% of the elected reps: democracy in its purest form.

Surely you mean some low threshold, and not no threshold at all , right?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
So basically the Netherlands ? For a second there I thought you were proposing something exotic.
Which countries actually do have a voting threshold?

On my end, I know Germany has a 5% threshold, although Wikipedia is lecturing me right now, (bunch of pedants...) explaining that you can circumvent the 5% rule if you win at least three county seats. I always thought Germany had 'simple' PR, but I see it's actually rather a version of mixed-member proportional representation (MMPR).

Last edited:

rcoobc

My ultimate electoral system would be:

A form of the Single Transferable Vote PR. However, unlike traditional STVPR there are no "backup options". The vote goes only to one person, who can then choose to give it to another candidate.

For example:

A constituency has to elect 3 MPs. The following candidates run for the seat:

Labour Joe
Labour Kelly
Labour Ted
Tory Miles
Tory Emily
Tory Heather
Liberal Meg
Liberal Edward
Green Pete
Brexit Nige

Constituents vote for their preferred candidates with a single cross in a box, and that is it. Each X here represents 10,000 votes.

Labour Joe - X X X X X X X X
Labour Kelly - X X X
Labour Ted - X
Tory Miles - X
Tory Emily - X X X X X X X X X
Tory Heather - X X
Liberal Meg - X X X
Liberal Edward - X
Green Pete - X X
Brexit Nige - X X

After the 320,000 votes have been cast, the scores are as above. The threshold to be elected is 25% of the vote + 1 (three candidates), meaning 80,001 votes are needed which we will round down to 8 X's

Tory Emily and Labour Joe are immediately elected as the first two MPs, leaving the remaining candidates to fight out for the final place. Labour Joe has exactly enough votes required, so he can't pass any of his votes to anyone else. But Tory Emily has a spare 10,000 votes, which she chooses to pass to Tory Miles (much to the annoyance of Tory Emily)

Labour Kelly - X X X
Labour Ted - X
Tory Miles - X X
Tory Heather - X X
Liberal Meg - X X X
Liberal Edward - X
Green Pete - X X
Brexit Nige - X X

After that, no one has enough votes to be elected so the candidates with the lowest votes are eliminated. Labour Ted and Liberal Edward have the lowest votes so they are eliminated one after the other, and each chooses to pass their vote to their follow party members.

Labour Kelly - X X X X
Labour Ted - X
Tory Miles - X X
Tory Emily - X X X X X X X X
X
Tory Heather - X X
Liberal Meg - X X X X
Liberal Edward - X
Green Pete - X X
Brexit Nige - X X

And the end of this, no one still has enough votes to be elected, so Brexit Nige and Green Pete are eliminated next. They choose to pass their votes onto candidates from other parties that they believe hold their ideals close to their hearts. Green Pete passes his votes onto Liberal Meg as she has green credentials, and Brexit Nige chooses to pass his votes onto Tory Heather as she is a Brexiteer

Labour Kelly - X X X X
Labour Ted - X
Tory Miles - X X
X
Tory Heather - X X X X
Liberal Meg - X X X X X X
Liberal Edward - X
Green Pete - X X
Brexit Nige
- X X

Tory Miles then throws his hat in the ring and passes his 10k votes over to Tory Heather. The 10k additional votes from Tory Emily then revert back to her, and she too chooses to pass them to Tory Heather

Labour Kelly - X X X X
Labour Ted - X
Tory Miles - X X

Tory Heather - X X X X X X
Liberal Edward - X
Green Pete
- X X
Brexit Nige
- X X

At this point, there are three candidates left for the final seat, Labour Kelly, Tory Heather and Liberal Meg.

Labour Kelly has the lowest number of votes left, so she is eliminated. Here she can choose to either pass her vote over to Tory Heather or Liberal Meg - or she can scrap the vote entirely (essentially saying that neither of the two remaining candidates upholds the values she was voted to represent). Tory Heather is leading Liberal Meg by just a few votes. With a heavy heart, Labour Kelly decides that Liberal Meg does not have values that she can agree with and instead she chooses to scrap her vote, which will likely leave Tory Heather the winner...

Except in doing so the 10k votes given to her by Labour Ted revert to him (it also opens up some additional vote from Labour Joe and Tory Emily because by scrapping the vote, the threshold is reduced which they can pass on too, but that's by and by)

Labour Ted passes his vote onto Lib Meg and she is elected as a Liberal-Labour-Green combined vote!

The elected MPS are:

Labour Joe
Tory Emily
Liberal Meg

I think this voting method has everything great about politics:

1) It's simple for the voter (put an X in your chosen candidates box)
2) It's a form of PR (more candidates in a constituency = better PR)
3) It's much better than Party List PR and normal STV PR which I think have serious issues.
4) It has pageantry and drama. It allows colleagues to stab one another in the back. It adds a bit of excitement.
5) It allows fringe parties to help elect MPs who better represent their fringe views, even if they can't get elected themselves. (Think an eliminated Green candidate pushing a Green-Labour candidate above a non-green candidate, or an eliminated Brexit candidate pushing a brexit-Tory above a non-brexit Tory)
6) It allows fringe parties to get their MPs elected. My example didn't show it, but getting 25% of the vote is a much more achievable goal for a Green or a Brexit candidate. Or if you have 4 candidates per constituency, the requirement is only 20%
7) It encourages coalition-building. You can think of a grand coalition between Lib Dems or and Labour to get each other elected when their own cause is lost, or a Lib-Dem Tory coalition in the times when Labour are taken over by the radical left.
8) It's clear what happened. If Boris Johnson helps his mate get elected and his mate his a misogynist a-hat, then that falls back on Boris Johnson. In party list PR you can much more easily hide behind the list.
9) It's simple. No voting machines needed. No complicated drama. Just count the votes and then argue about it.

And lastly; it's fun! If you are into that sort of thing...

Last edited:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I want a form of a Single Transferable Vote PR. However, unlike traditional STVPR there are no "backup options". The vote goes only to one person, who can then choose to give it to another candidate.

For example:

A constituency has to elect 3 MPs. The following candidates run for the seat:

Labour Joe
Labour Kelly
Labour Ted
Tory Miles
Tory Emily
Tory Heather
Liberal Meg
Liberal Edward
Green Pete
Brexit Nige

Constituents vote for their preferred candidates with a single cross in a box, and that is it. Each X here represents 10,000 votes.

Labour Kelly - X X X
Labour Ted - X
Tory Miles - X
Tory Heather - X X
Liberal Meg - X X X
Liberal Edward - X
Green Pete - X X
Brexit Nige - X X

After the 320,000 votes have been cast, the scores like as above. The threshold to be elected is 25% of the vote + 1 (three candidates), meaning 80,001 votes are needed which we will round up to 8 X's

Tory Emily and Labour Joe are immediately elected as the first two MPs, leaving the remaining candidates to fight out for the final place. Labour Joe has exactly enough votes required, so he can't pass any of his votes to anyone else. But Tory Emily has a spare 10,000 votes, which she chooses to pass to Tory Miles (much to the annoyance of Tory Emily)

Labour Kelly - X X X
Labour Ted - X
Tory Miles - X X
Tory Heather - X X
Liberal Meg - X X X
Liberal Edward - X
Green Pete - X X
Brexit Nige - X X

After that, no one has enough votes to be elected so the candidates with the lowest votes are eliminated. Labour Ted and Liberal Edward have the lowest votes so they are eliminated one after the other, and each chooses to pass their vote to their follow party members.

Labour Kelly - X X X X
Labour Ted - X
Tory Miles - X X
X
Tory Heather - X X
Liberal Meg - X X X X
Liberal Edward - X
Green Pete - X X
Brexit Nige - X X

And the end of this, no one still has enough votes to be elected, so Brexit Nige and Green Pete are eliminated next. They choose to pass their votes onto candidates from other parties that they believe hold their ideals close to their hearts. Green Pete passes his votes onto Liberal Meg as she has green credentials, and Brexit Nige chooses to pass his votes onto Tory Heather as she is a Brexiteer

Labour Kelly - X X X X
Labour Ted - X
Tory Miles - X X
X
Tory Heather - X X X X
Liberal Edward - X
Green Pete - X X
Brexit Nige
- X X

Tory Miles then throws his hat in the ring and passes his 10k votes over to Tory Heather. The 10k additional votes from Tory Emily then revert back to her, and she too chooses to pass them to Tory Heather

Labour Kelly - X X X X
Labour Ted - X
Tory Miles - X X

Tory Heather - X X X X X X
Liberal Edward - X
Green Pete
- X X
Brexit Nige
- X X

At this point, there are three candidates left for the final seat, Labour Kelly, Tory Heather and Liberal Meg.

Labour Kelly has the lowest number of votes left, so she is eliminated. Here she can choose to either pass her vote over to Tory Heather or Liberal Meg - or she can scrap the vote entirely (essentially saying that neither of the two remaining candidates upholds the values she was voted to represent). Tory Heather is leading Liberal Meg by just a few votes. With a heavy heart, Labour Kelly decides that Liberal Meg does not have values that she can agree with and instead she chooses to scrap her vote, which will likely leave Tory Heather the winner...

Except in doing so the 10k votes given to her by Labour Ted revert to him (it also opens up some additional vote from Labour Joe and Tory Emily because by scrapping the vote, the threshold is reduced which they can pass on too, but that's by and by)

Labour Ted passes his vote onto Lib Meg and she is elected as a Liberal-Labour-Green combined vote!

The elected MPS are:

Labour Joe
Tory Emily
Liberal Meg

I think this voting method has everything great about politics:

1) It's simple for the voter (put an X in your chosen candidates box)
2) It's a form of PR (more candidates in a constituency = better PR)
3) It's much better than Party List PR and normal STV PR which I think have serious issues.
4) It has pageantry and drama. It allows colleagues to stab one another in the back. It adds a bit of excitement.
5) It allows fringe parties to help elect MPs who better represent their fringe views, even if they can't get elected themselves. (Think an eliminated Green candidate pushing a Green-Labour candidate above a non-green candidate, or an eliminated Brexit candidate pushing a brexit-Tory above a non-brexit Tory)
6) It allows fringe parties to get their MPs elected. My example didn't show it, but getting 25% of the vote is a much more achievable goal for a Green or a Brexit candidate. Or if you have 4 candidates per constituency, the requirement is only 20%
7) It encourages coalition-building. You can think of a grand coalition between Lib Dems or and Labour to get each other elected when their own cause is lost, or a Lib-Dem Tory coalition in the times when Labour are taken over by the radical left.
8) It's clear what happened. If Boris Johnson helps his mate get elected and his mate his a misogynist a-hat, then that falls back on Boris Johnson. In party list PR you can much more easily hide behind the list.
9) It's simple. No voting machines needed. No complicated drama. Just count the votes and then argue about it.

And lastly; it's fun! If you are into that sort of thing...
There would certainly make for great television! :lol: I like the accountability that's woven into this. As you say, no nationally set party lists that determine everything. That's also the advantage of MMPR that I've been advocating above. I wonder what you have against Party-List PR and STV-PR though?

rcoobc

There would certainly make for great television! :lol: I like the accountability that's woven into this. As you say, no nationally set party lists that determine everything. That's also the advantage of MMPR that I've been advocating above. I wonder what you have against Party-List PR and STV-PR though?
Party Lists

I don't like "party lists" in general. I think that lacks accountability and slightly allows corruption. Obviously, there isn't too much evidence for that, democracies that use Party List PR are some of the least corrupt in the world but it's just something that gnaws at me.

If I'm a Labour supporter, but I don't like my specific Labour candidate, I can choose not to vote for him/her. But with party lists, every party will have members whom you may not like, but who your vote may help elect.

At least with my method, I'm just voting for a person who I believe upholds the values I care about. If he chooses to pass my vote onto another candidate, I have to trust that he did so with the values I care about at heart.

STV

For STVPR - it depends what variant we are talking about - but I don't like the kind of randomness to it.

Let's say, me, my mate Alex and my mate Jim all vote for Labour James. Labour James has 30% of the vote and only 25% of the vote is required so 1/6th of the votes for him are reallocated to the votes 2nd preference.

1/6th of the votes for him go to the 2nd preference - but what 6th? Well, it would usually be a random 6th. But even if it's random, it's problematic. Maybe my vote goes to my 2nd favoured candidate whilst my mates Alex and Jim's vote - does not. And maybe my 2nd favoured candidate is a racist misogynist who gets over the line thanks to my vote being transferred. Whereas Alex's and Jim's 2nd favourite votes would have gone another way, but were not selected.

It entirely depends on the implementation. You can even have fractions of votes being transferred, which makes things "better" in some ways, but still introduce other problems. I think STV is "pretty good" but not perfect.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Party Lists

I don't like "party lists" in general. I think that lacks accountability and slightly allows corruption. Obviously, there isn't too much evidence for that, democracies that use Party List PR are some of the least corrupt in the world but it's just something that gnaws at me.

If I'm a Labour supporter, but I don't like my specific Labour candidate, I can choose not to vote for him/her. But with party lists, every party will have members whom you may not like, but who your vote may help elect.

At least with my method, I'm just voting for a person who I believe upholds the values I care about. If he chooses to pass my vote onto another candidate, I have to trust that he did so with the values I care about at heart.

STV

For STVPR - it depends what variant we are talking about - but I don't like the kind of randomness to it.

Let's say, me, my mate Alex and my mate Jim all vote for Labour James. Labour James has 30% of the vote and only 25% of the vote is required so 1/6th of the votes for him are reallocated to the votes 2nd preference.

1/6th of the votes for him go to the 2nd preference - but what 6th? Well, it would usually be a random 6th. But even if it's random, it's problematic. Maybe my vote goes to my 2nd favoured candidate whilst my mates Alex and Jim's vote - does not. And maybe my 2nd favoured candidate is a racist misogynist who gets over the line thanks to my vote being transferred. Whereas Alex's and Jim's 2nd favourite votes would have gone another way, but were not selected.

It entirely depends on the implementation. You can even have fractions of votes being transferred, which makes things "better" in some ways, but still introduce other problems. I think STV is "pretty good" but not perfect.
Fair enough. I agree that party lists are rfar outside a voter's influence and that reduces the degree of accountability. What I do like, though, is that a list guarantees that the party leaders are elected. In the end, party leaders play an outsized role in elections, and many voters just vote for the party based on his/her performance, regardless of local candidates or candidates on party lists. So it has always seemed odd to me that, after an entire campaign, a party leader may not be elected just because they were beaten in their local rising - regardless of how their party does otherwise.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Which countries actually do have a voting threshold?

On my end, I know Germany has a 5% threshold, although Wikipedia is lecturing me right now, (bunch of pedants...) explaining that you can circumvent the 5% rule if you win at least three county seats. I always thought Germany had 'simple' PR, but I see it's actually rather a version of mixed-member proportional representation (MMPR).
In Denmark you need 2 % of the votes to get What's usually four people in parliament (technically it's a bit more complicated but that's the rule of thumb). Our parliament consists of 179 representatives from 10 different Danish parties, and two parties from each of Greenland and the Faroe Islands as well as six independent members of parliament.

rcoobc

Speaking of voting systems, CGP Grey has some very awesome clips that explain the various systems and their pros and cons.

The problem with all these videos and wiki articles on stv is that it glosses over the process of how the votes chosen for re-distribution under stv works

I've never seen a way that I'm happy with