Wales - Euro 2021 Discussion

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Specifically we lack a creative passer who can consistently play people in behind the defence

He seems to have morphed into that type of player, based on the very limited amount of times i've seen him this year
He was doing that for fun picking out Ramsey’s runs Wednesday, even if turkey was defensively unorganised.

Idxomer

They surprised me, didn't think they would be able to replicate the last Euros performances.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Probably the toughest team of the 3 we could get.

May play into our hands a bit as I think we’ll have more opportunities to counter attack or get in behind Denmark, instead of the other two teams likely sitting back more. Denmark still the more dangerous going forward though even if they do seem wasteful with it.

going to be two teams fully up for it with potential of it being a great game. Already nervous.

Probably the toughest team of the 3 we could get.

May play into our hands a bit as I think we’ll have more opportunities to counter attack or get in behind Denmark, instead of the other two teams likely sitting back more. Denmark still the more dangerous going forward though even if they do seem wasteful with it.

going to be two teams fully up for it with potential of it being a great game. Already nervous.
first game for them ‘away from home’, could be a complete anti climax following tonight and the emotional drain Of the last couple of weeks.

think it’s a really good draw for Wales.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
The toughest of the three teams it was likely for us to play. However, they're not quite the same team without Eriksen and hopefully they won't be playing on quite the same tide of emotion in Amsterdam as they were in their last two games at home.

Will be nice to finally play somewhere that isn't an away game, halfway to China, or both. The winner of this probably faces Holland in fecking Baku, though.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
first game for them ‘away from home’, could be a complete anti climax following tonight and the emotional drain Of the last couple of weeks.

think it’s a really good draw for Wales.
That’s a good point I didn’t think of. Their crowd has been amazing for them. We’ve been slogging it out around Europe so a bit more used to it.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
The toughest of the three teams it was likely for us to play. However, they're not quite the same team without Eriksen and hopefully they won't be playing on quite the same tide of emotion in Amsterdam as they were in their last two games at home.

Will be nice to finally play somewhere that isn't an away game, halfway to China, or both. The winner of this probably faces Holland in fecking Baku, though.
Holland is a great draw for the winner of this tie, I don’t think they’re all that.

back to Baku for us, like locals there :lol:

Basso

As it stands Holland are very likely to face a 3rd place team from Group F in their 1/8 in Budapest.
So I reckon Holland will lose their 1/8.

Last edited:

Gandalf

Denmark, followed by the Dutch is a really good draw. That’s as good as you could of got.
Think I would have preferred Finland in all honesty but to be honest there is no point in hoping to duck teams, either you are good enough to win or you are not. Hopefully Bale is up for it on Saturday as when he is on he is the best player on the pitch for either side.

V.O.

Holland is a great draw for the winner of this tie, I don’t think they’re all that.

back to Baku for us, like locals there :lol:
Well, we're doing a better job of representing the Azeri people than the Turks did anyway. ;)

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
The Netherlands can beat all three teams in question to be fair.

As for the 1/8 final, good luck to you Welsh lads, but I reckon the Danes will edge it.

Basso

Not sure about 99%, but that wouldn't be good news for us at all. :(
If you look at the Bracket of possible options for Holland as 1C winner. Basically, there have to be some sick results tomorrow and Spain Eliminated in order to avoid the nightmare draw for Holland.
Also, Switzerland will travel to Bucharest to face the Group F winner.

V.O.

Thoughts about Denmark @V.O. ? I think I'd have preferred Russia (and ideally Finland)

Holland is a no go for UK residents so no trip over. Guess only Welsh people living there. Bit shit
Yeah, it's the toughest of the games we could have had, though Denmark not being at home as they have been and the emotion of the Eriksen situation not being as raw might see them not look quite as good as they did against Belgium and Russia.

Not sure on the travel situation (living in Sweden now - might technically be possible for me to sneak over there myself :lol:) but Amsterdam is a couple of train rides away from Copenhagen, and Holland and Denmark have a bit of an affinity with each other. I'm sure the Danes will have a lot more support, but at least it isn't fecking Baku!

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Netherlands is not far behind from Germany or Portugal, those are even matches.

Only France come to favorites against Netherlands.
I would fancy all 3 to put Holland away

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Very difficult game for Wales. Denmark look a very tidy side and I fancy them to edge it.

Also, every single neutral on earth will be rooting for Denmark for obvious reasons, which the Welsh players will know going into it. Not that it should bother them that much, but I suppose it's an odd position to be in. Maybe.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
If it's Holland that awaits the winner, then both teams will fancy their chances of getting to the semis.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
The Netherlands can beat all three teams in question to be fair.

As for the 1/8 final, good luck to you Welsh lads, but I reckon the Danes will edge it.
They might well do on today's performance but at least it's not certain like it might have been against France etc.

We are still in and it's still fun :) It's just great being in it for only the 2nd time in my lifetime anyway.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Proud of how we done, played basically every match as an away match with no fans, travelled half way around the world to get to matches while other teams have been sat at home with full houses, couldn’t have asked for more, we were dead on our feet and still running. this was just a game too far.

The last ten minutes of that much was a joke, we got fecked over a bit there by the ref.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Proud of how we done, played basically every match as an away match with no fans, travelled half way around the world to get to matches while other teams have been sat at home with full houses, couldn’t have asked for more, we were dead on our feet and still running. this was just a game too far.

The last ten minutes of that much was a joke, we got fecked over a bit there by the ref.
Spot on, the ref was completely anti wales/pro Denmark. We were poor but got shafted at every opportunity

V.O.

Didn't realise quite how much of an away game that would be with the travel restrictions etc, definitely a bridge too far at the end. I think it's a different game on (actual) neutral ground and with a ref that doesn't want to give every 50/50 to Denmark, but they were going to always be the toughest of the teams we could have faced and it'd be a hard game anyway, even if 4-0 flatters them quite a bit.

Overall, I think they've done very well to get out of the group behind only an Italian side who have looked levels above where I thought they were, especially given that we were arguably the team most shafted by the venues and scheduling, playing what were in effect 3 away games out of 4. I think Page has done alright in the circumstances and got a decent tune out of the players at his disposal.

Overall grade a solid B, I think. The Turkey game will live in the memory for quite a while. :)

Gandalf

Presume Ramsey and Bale will stick around to try and qualify for 2022 as a last hurrah but after that it will be all change. Most important thing is that whilst the team still looks reasonably attractive and has a decent ranking we need to move on from Giggs and Page and see if a decent manager can be appointed to try and develop the next generation. Not overflowing with talent but we have some decent youngsters and better coaching could get more from them as we will need better cohesion without the individual brilliance that Bale and Ramsey offered at their best.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I said I thought Denmark would win as they're a much better footballing side but didn't think it would be that comprehensive. Tough tournament for Wales though. Two games in Baku (one of those with a highly partisan crowd) and then a trip to Rome against a rampaging Italy. I think they expended so much energy in the groups that they didn't have much left.

Ultimately, just getting out of the group is a success as I don't think many people expected them to. The squad obviously isn't deep enough to rest and rotate, so you're basically playing your main players all the time in games where they can't afford to take it easy.

Presume Ramsey and Bale will stick around to try and qualify for 2022 as a last hurrah but after that it will be all change. Most important thing is that whilst the team still looks reasonably attractive and has a decent ranking we need to move on from Giggs and Page and see if a decent manager can be appointed to try and develop the next generation. Not overflowing with talent but we have some decent youngsters and better coaching could get more from them as we will need better cohesion without the individual brilliance that Bale and Ramsey offered at their best.
whats the actual deal with Giggs? Is he just suspended. If he’s found innocent, does he return to the job?

MU655

It was a very tough tournament for Wales. The setup is really messed up.

Travel three thousand miles to Baku
- Play in front of no fans against Switzerland (they also had no fans, so it was more even)
- Play in front of a stadium full of Turkish fans with no fans of their own

Travel about two thousand miles to Rome
- Play Italy at home with no fans

Travel eight hundred miles to Amsterdam
- Play against Denmark, who had played at home throughout the group stage (and only need to travel about 400 miles by plane)
- Denmark were allowed a stadium full of fans because Covid obviously doesn't spread when the Schengen agreement is involved.

That is 5,800 miles of travel by plane within about 20 days. To be honest, they did all they could in this tournament. You can also add that they played in hotter temperatures than a lot of teams, having been in Baku and Rome.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
It was a very tough tournament for Wales. The setup is really messed up.

Travel three thousand miles to Baku
- Play in front of no fans against Switzerland (they also had no fans, so it was more even)
- Play in front of a stadium full of Turkish fans with no fans of their own

Travel about two thousand miles to Rome
- Play Italy at home with no fans

Travel eight hundred miles to Amsterdam
- Play against Denmark, who had played at home throughout the group stage (and only need to travel about 400 miles by plane)
- Denmark were allowed a stadium full of fans because Covid obviously doesn't spread when the Schengen agreement is involved.

That is 5,800 miles of travel by plane within about 20 days. To be honest, they did all they could in this tournament. You can also add that they played in hotter temperatures than a lot of teams, having been in Baku and Rome.
They definitely had the rough end of the stick, there’s not even a question there. And the fact other teams just got to stay in their home country with fans just added to the joke.

Phil Jones Face

Is there a more petulant group of players than the Wales team?

1. Defender Chris Gunter has criticised the "joke set-up" of Euro 2020 after Wales' last-16 exit against Denmark. "You and us deserved more from this joke set-up of a tournament, but who said life was fair.
  2. 4 red cards in 7 games (admittedly Wilson's was harsh)
  3. Bale's sarcastic clapping at the referee
  4. Bale storming off in the post match interview

Plucky underdogs they may be, but their attitude and bitterness stinks.

marktan

Is there a more petulant group of players than the Wales team?

1. Defender Chris Gunter has criticised the "joke set-up" of Euro 2020 after Wales' last-16 exit against Denmark. "You and us deserved more from this joke set-up of a tournament, but who said life was fair.
  2. 4 red cards in 7 games (admittedly Wilson's was harsh)
  3. Bale's sarcastic clapping at the referee
  4. Bale storming off in the post match interview

Plucky underdogs they may be, but their attitude and bitterness stinks.
Seriously clutching at straws there mate. Their frustration is understandable.