Wales Euro 2020 squad: The full 26-man team
  • GK: Wayne Hennessey (Crystal Palace)
  • GK: Daniel Ward (Leicester City)
  • GK: Adam Davies (Stoke City)
  • DF: Ben Davies (Tottenham Hotspur)
  • DF: Joe Rodon (Tottenham Hotspur)
  • DF: Chris Mepham (Bournemouth)
  • DF: Chris Gunter (Charlton Athletic)
  • DF: Rhys Norrington-Davies (Sheffield United)
  • DF: Neco Williams (Liverpool)
  • DF: Connor Roberts (Swansea City)
  • DF: Ben Cabango (Swansea City)
  • DF: Tom Lockyer (Luton Town)
  • MF: Joe Allen (Stoke City)
  • MF: Joe Morrell (Luton Town)
  • MF: Ethan Ampadu (Chelsea)
  • MF: Matthew Smith (Manchester City)
  • MF: Jonathan Williams (Cardiff City)
  • MF: Aaron Ramsey (Juventus)
  • MF: Harry Wilson (Liverpool)
  • MF: David Brooks (Bournemouth)
  • MF: Dylan Levitt (Manchester United)
  • MF: Rubin Colwill (Cardiff City)
  • FW: Tyler Roberts (Leeds United)
  • FW: Kieffer Moore (Cardiff City)
  • FW: Gareth Bale (Real Madrid)
  • FW: Daniel James (Manchester United)
Wales Euro 2020 squad: Team profile

Five years ago, Wales reached a European Championship semi-final. Five years before that, they were officially 116th in the world. What expectations can you base on that?

With their FIFA ranking’s sine wave flattening near its peak, recent success looks sustainable. Wales’ four best centre-backs are all aged 20-23 and their attack offers an array of youthful promise, while the FAW’s coaching setup earns nothing but praise. The future’s bright.

The present is less rosy. Wales played their World Cup qualifiers in spring not knowing who’d lead them at Euro 2020, with Rob Page in temporary charge since Ryan Giggs’ November arrest on suspicion of assault. Meanwhile, Jonathan Ford’s 11-year reign as chief executive ended with a no-confidence vote in March. It’s not ideal preparation.

On the pitch, Wales live on tight margins despite their attacking talent. Having reached Euro 2016 by scoring 11 goals in 10 qualifiers, they made Euro 2020 with 10 in eight. Their 2020/21 Nations League results were 1-0, 1-0, 0-0, 1-0, 1-0 and an incongruous 3-1 overseen by Page. Under Giggs, after thumping Ireland 4-1 in his first competitive fixture, Wales played 20 matches and scored 18 goals, also conceding 18. Terrace murmurs of ‘doing a Greece’ are only part-joking.

Injuries haven’t helped. Aaron Ramsey featured in just three of Wales’ 21 fixtures ahead of the Euros. Joe Allen has to reclaim a starting berth from understudy Joe Morrell. But the upside is a newfound depth: while Wales can be wondrous when their stars are aligned, the likes of Morrell, Danny Ward and Harry Wilson – a false nine now, apparently – make the starting XI hard to predict. Goodbye, David Cotterill; bore da, David Brooks. The 2016 cohort wasn’t old, yet a mere half-dozen are sure of a squad place five years later. Even a hero such as Chris Gunter, the first Welshman to 100 caps and still only 31, may miss out.

Fans will be sorely missed, however. The bond between players and The Red Wall was evident on qualification day in Gareth Bale’s delight at seeing the ‘Wales. Golf. Madrid.’ flag, and in Allen and Sam Vokes joining chants of that and Allen’s own ‘Wales. Chickens. Stoke.’ (don’t ask) at 3am on Caroline Street, AKA Chippy Lane. The ‘Together Stronger’ motto inspired Wales in France; this summer’s mood will be subdued. As Gunter would say: chin up.

Wales Euro 2020 squad: Who is Wales' best player?

Gareth Bale

Look no further than Gareth Bale as Wales' star man. The on-loan Tottenham forward seems to come alive on the international stage, despite struggling for club form during the season. Although not as formidable as he once was, Bale can inspire this youthful Wales team with his leadership.

Backing up the former most expensive player in the world is Juventus' Aaron Ramsey, another exceptional player on his day. If these two are fit and firing, Wales will always have a chance.

Last edited:

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Done exceptionally well in the last tournament, but I really can't see them getting out of the group. They're pretty solid in defense (think they only conceded 6 goals in qualifying), but aren't exactly prolific upfront. Maybe they'll go through as one of the best 3rd place finishers.

Gandalf

Done exceptionally well in the last tournament, but I really can't see them getting out of the group. They're pretty solid in defense (think they only conceded 6 goals in qualifying), but aren't exactly prolific upfront. Maybe they'll go through as one of the best 3rd place finishers.
It is a very tough group, I think we have the team to beat Turkey but Italy is a bridge too far and so the decisive fixture is the opener against Switzerland which will be a defensive struggle. Got to hope for another clean sheet and rely on our pace up top to maybe nick a goal or two on the break if the Swiss push up too high trying to break us down.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Wouldn’t fully write them off. They are a well organised side. I thought before the red card against France last night they really competed well.

krentz

Is Giggs going too?
Watched them against France last night must say i'm suprised to find theyre pretty good and look dangerous before the sent off. Daniel James especially was very lively, he left Varane dead on his feet multiple time, if only he can improve his finishing he'd be a £50M player.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Quarters is possible but not probable.

I expect us to go out group stages this time.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
How good are Wales lately? I have them last in group A but am willing to change my predictions...

Gandalf

How good are Wales lately? I have them last in group A but am willing to change my predictions...
They are decent on their day but like a lot of the smaller nations depend very much on having their first choice players available as the drop off on the bench is pretty alarming. No real superstars in defence but they have a system and a group of players who are familiar with each other and know how to follow the plan and then up top we have a few difference makers like Ramsey, Wilson and despite the grief he gets here Dan James. Mostly though our hopes rest on Gareth Bale. When Bale switches it on he is still one of the best players in Europe and he does love playing for Wales a hell of a lot more than any of his club sides so fingers crossed he pulls out a couple of vintage performances.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
They are decent on their day but like a lot of the smaller nations depend very much on having their first choice players available as the drop off on the bench is pretty alarming. No real superstars in defence but they have a system and a group of players who are familiar with each other and know how to follow the plan and then up top we have a few difference makers like Ramsey, Wilson and despite the grief he gets here Dan James. Mostly though our hopes rest on Gareth Bale. When Bale switches it on he is still one of the best players in Europe and he does love playing for Wales a hell of a lot more than any of his club sides so fingers crossed he pulls out a couple of vintage performances.
Is Ramsey fit? Thought he had injury issues.

youngrell

Pretty much sums us up quite well.

The only thing I would add, is that we aren't really sure how good we are at the moment because since Giggs/Page have been in charge it always seems that one or more of our key players are missing, and as mentioned, for a small nation with not so much depth, those key players are really, very important.

Fingers crossed our big players are fit and firing, that will give us a lot more confidence and better odds of making it through the group.

Gandalf

Is Ramsey fit? Thought he had injury issues.
He played the last 30 minutes against France yesterday and despite not playing he was on the bench for Juventus last few games, Ben Davies also came on as a sub who is equally important to our team. Fit enough to play it seems but the rust will be a concern, particularly as we have to get something out of the first game against Switzerland.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
It is a very tough group, I think we have the team to beat Turkey but Italy is a bridge too far and so the decisive fixture is the opener against Switzerland which will be a defensive struggle. Got to hope for another clean sheet and rely on our pace up top to maybe nick a goal or two on the break if the Swiss push up too high trying to break us down.
Yeah, beating Switzerland in the first game will give them a huge chance of going through as best 3rd place finisher. I think there are only two, 3rd place teams that WON'T go through. So they definitely have a chance, unless they have an absolute shocker.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I agree.

Dog of a group this, Italy in Rome ffs so no chance there (unless Italy rest half their team which could happen with it being last match) Swiss are very tough to beat themselves and usually get out of groups in euros or world cup and Turkey are very decent and usually do well when they actually make tournaments.

Can see Wales finishing bottom even if they get two draws off Swiss and Turkey.

Not like their results have been that terrible last few years as they're generally a solid tier 2 european nation now and they have some exciting young players but I can't see the key players from last time like Bale, Ramsey and Joe Allen being anywhere near as effective this time as those three simply haven't played enough in last 12 months and that will be a big problem.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Good write up!

I’m used to supporting the other home nations and Ireland, so I’ve been spoilt in recent years with 2016 and the tournament coming up.

I’m not expecting that much, but the atmosphere between the players and supporters is always excellent, there’s a real harmony and I’m excited even if I think our chances are low.

Abraxas

I think they've an outside chance of getting out of the group, I would not be shocked.

Man for man Switzerland and Turkey are certainly stronger and have players at stronger clubs, but a switched on Bale is a difference maker, potentially. They also have James on the break combining with him.

Not much expectation, they can sit back, utilise the break, they could do it with an organised setup and their key players having blinding games.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
They've installed 26 of these with names from the squad at castles around the country.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
They've installed 26 of these with names from the squad at castles around the country.

That's great, except that Kieffer Moore is from Torquay and almost certainly has no idea where Caernarfon even is (might be able to guess the country to be fair). :(

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
That's great, except that Kieffer Moore is from Torquay and almost certainly has no idea where Caernarfon even is (might be able to guess the country to be fair). :(
Would have been hard work to link every castle to where the player was born! (or their nan). Ramsey and Bale's are their hometown though.
Joe Allen was born in the same hospital as me, and the town does have a castle, but they've given him a different location. Annoying.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Well, this is the game they need to win. A draw certainly isn't good enough. There's no chance they're going to go to Rome and get a result against Italy.

V.O.

Group stage polished off, business as usual in the Euros for us. Never in doubt. :angel:

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Delighted with today, the game was great, everyone worked so hard and it ended with a win. Can’t complain. Also it was great to be able to watch it with some folk, rather than alone like last year.

Also been really nice to see so much support on this forum from people of nationalities, some really nice comments.

V.O.

Delighted with today, the game was great, everyone worked so hard and it ended with a win. Can’t complain. Also it was great to be able to watch it with some folk, rather than alone like last year.

Also been really nice to see so much support on this forum from people of nationalities, some really nice comments.
Could barely watch after the penalty, was sure they were doomed to feck it up. Great mentality to get past that and find a second anyway.

Really impressed by how brave the setup was as well, even clinging onto a one goal lead they were leaving Bale, James, and Moore on the halfway line for the counter. Very glad they approached it differently than the end of the Switzerland game, which was just sticking everyone in the box and holding on for dear life.

Abraxas

They've been more positive than I expected. I said earlier in the thread I wouldn't be surprised if they qualified even if they were outsiders but I thought they'd sit back for the majority of the time. Although they've conceded some possession it hasn't been quite as extreme as I imagined. In fact they've been creating good chances and pushing on towards the end. Very impressive against two sides that should have more than Wales position by position, but Wales have the standout individuals.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Thought they absolutely fecked it when they missed that pen. They created so many other chances as well

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Could barely watch after the penalty, was sure they were doomed to feck it up. Great mentality to get past that and find a second anyway.

Really impressed by how brave the setup was as well, even clinging onto a one goal lead they were leaving Bale, James, and Moore on the halfway line for the counter. Very glad they approached it differently than the end of the Switzerland game, which was just sticking everyone in the box and holding on for dear life.
I completely agree about the positive set up, even though he was knackered I was surprised they took off Allen for Ampadu and not one of the more forward players. Everyone worked so hard, and that slide tackle from Ramsey summed up the defensive efforts. It was a really fun game and while I think Wales benefitted from Turkey having positional problems, I thought Wales were excellent at stretching them and dragging them all over the pitch with clever movement and position swapping.

I think a lot of credit goes to Page as well, moving Roberts higher up and allowing Bale more flexibility in what positions he took up worked wonders. He’s a young manager but he’s proven he’s defensively astute, it’s great to see him adding some attacking flair and it really paid off.

OleGunnar20

Amazing performance, fought for every ball. Did us proud every last player fair play.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Ramsey and Bale were generally class in this, that's the difference from Saturday.

Turkey not worth the hype, the big CF is a bit limited and none of their creative midfielders have stepped up at all. Is Calhanoglu waiting for a FK outside the box to do anything?

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
One thing with James that sometimes gets overlooked is the context of his move to Manchester United.

Despite his age at the time, he only ever played one season for Swansea in the first team. He was really exciting that season, but he was far from the best player, talented but raw. Very inexperienced. Players like Toney and Buendia making big steps up I could envisage, but James to Manchester United without a loan in between felt like a step too far. He was a young player with a single season in the championship. It’s not easy to go to a club like Manchester United, you can count on one hand the other clubs with similar difficulty (and I’m excluding the thumb!).

He’s done better than I thought he would, despite looking like an awkward fit and often looking a little out of his depth. He’s very hard working and ambitious, and I admire his courage.

I think a loan next season would be great, he’s still relatively young, even more so when you count the number of games he’s played. And it might be best for both player and club with the youngsters United have coming through, and their transfer targets. He might never be right for a Manchester United, but he’s a player with room for growth.

Edit: wrong theead

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Chuffed with Wednesday’s result. We’re certainly better at the back this tournament. Ward has been fantastic too in goal.

Bale’s pass, Ramsey’s run and touch. Beautiful.

Here’s hoping we draw with Italy at most so we don’t pip them to top spot so we have a better route in the knockout stages.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Huh. Bale turned into Ozil now

Interesting...

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Chuffed with Wednesday’s result. We’re certainly better at the back this tournament. Ward has been fantastic too in goal.

Bale’s pass, Ramsey’s run and touch. Beautiful.

Here’s hoping we draw with Italy at most so we don’t pip them to top spot so we have a better route in the knockout stages.
Ward has been brilliant fairplay, great shit housery and time wasting in the last game too.

Bale is just such a danger from anywhere on the field, the way he constantly finds Ramsey is second nature to him. Moore has worked tirelessly up front, his battling and holding the ball up is perfect for us. I just really really like this welsh team. Ramsey’s effort all over the field, I cheered that sliding tackle in the box almost as much as a goal, I honestly could mention every player here.

I’m also happy with how we didn’t just sit back with ten behind the ball towards the end, I thought Page was going to take a forward off for ampadu and close shop a bit, glad he left the attacking threat there, my nails are just starting to grow to the point they’re not painful anymore :lol:

Will be nice to play Italy with less pressure on us now, we look to already be guaranteed second if I’ve got it right, rest a few players but keep it tight not to get battered and lose momentum, easier said than done I know, Italy are looking good but I don’t think they’ve had a proper test yet.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
That he might be useful to us next season
Oh right, yes, I don’t think he’s ever lost his danger or commitment to football, just Madrid.
I’d like to see him go back there and rip it up for a season under Ancelloti

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
So proud of them all. The team spirit and togetherness is superb and elevates them as a unit.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Oh right, yes, I don’t think he’s ever lost his danger or commitment to football, just Madrid.
I’d like to see him go back there and rip it up for a season under Ancelloti
Specifically we lack a creative passer who can consistently play people in behind the defence

He seems to have morphed into that type of player, based on the very limited amount of times i've seen him this year