Other Wall-Mounting TV Project

Havak

Pokemon master
I've recently purchased a new house. Progress is obviously slow as it's impossible to get plaster at the rrp right now, hoping that is sorted soon. Anyway, I have a very large living / front room and I want to put in a large wall-mounted TV for sports viewing and the like - at least 65". There is a chimney breast already in the room with no fireplace and I will not be having a fireplace installed, so heat isn't going to be an issue for this project as that's something I've read about in a bit of research I've done online. In order to hide the cables and a pipe on one side of the breast, I am hoping we can kind of build over the existing breast with a false one so to speak? I'm absolutely hopeless at this kind of stuff, so it will not be me doing the work but a joiner friend of mine and probably my dad & his friend who are pretty DIY capable.

• The current breast is 53" wide and will need extending outwards and forwards to meet the criteria. I don't want the TV to hang over the sides of the breast, which every 65" TV would do (they're usually close to 58" as the screen is measured on a diagonal). I will probably get the false breast to be 60" and come forward just over an inch to fit cables behind, or maybe a bit more if an extension socket should be hung behind?
  • What is the best way to go about this? Just build the thing out of wood and plasterboard?
  • The missus wants the breast to be wallpapered. Would it be easy enough to wallpaper straight over the plasterboard or would it still need a skim of plaster beforehand? If so, should I do this before the plasterers are able to come in?

Why am I asking here? I know we've got a lot of tech / DIY savvy people into gaming / sports that have probably done something similar and I just don't really use other web forums.

On another note, does anyone have any TV recommendations? I'm looking to spend sub-£600 if possible as I'm not in the need of things like 120hz. My friend who will likely be helping build this recently got a very nice Samsung 65" TV for £549, I was thinking of getting the same one. I think it was the model TU7000, but it's back up to £669 on Amazon at the moment unfortunately. I'm not going to pay £120 more for the same thing, but if it went below £600 again does anyone thing it's a worthy purchase, or is there something significantly better in that price range?

Cheers!

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I've recently purchased a new house. Progress is obviously slow as it's impossible to get plaster at the rrp right now, hoping that is sorted soon. Anyway, I have a very large living / front room and I want to put in a large wall-mounted TV for sports viewing and the like - at least 65". There is a chimney breast already in the room with no fireplace and I will not be having a fireplace installed, so heat isn't going to be an issue for this project as that's something I've read about in a bit of research I've done online. In order to hide the cables and a pipe on one side of the breast, I am hoping we can kind of build over the existing breast with a false one so to speak? I'm absolutely hopeless at this kind of stuff, so it will not be me doing the work but a joiner friend of mine and probably my dad & his friend who are pretty DIY capable.

• The current breast is 53" wide and will need extending outwards and forwards to meet the criteria. I don't want the TV to hang over the sides of the breast, which every 65" TV would do (they're usually close to 58" as the screen is measured on a diagonal). I will probably get the false breast to be 60" and come forward just over an inch to fit cables behind, or maybe a bit more if an extension socket should be hung behind?
  • What is the best way to go about this? Just build the thing out of wood and plasterboard?
  • The missus wants the breast to be wallpapered. Would it be easy enough to wallpaper straight over the plasterboard or would it still need a skim of plaster beforehand? If so, should I do this before the plasterers are able to come in?

Why am I asking here? I know we've got a lot of tech / DIY savvy people into gaming / sports that have probably done something similar and I just don't really use other web forums.

On another note, does anyone have any TV recommendations? I'm looking to spend sub-£600 if possible as I'm not in the need of things like 120hz. My friend who will likely be helping build this recently got a very nice Samsung 65" TV for £549, I was thinking of getting the same one. I think it was the model TU7000, but it's back up to £669 on Amazon at the moment unfortunately. I'm not going to pay £120 more for the same thing, but if it went below £600 again does anyone thing it's a worthy purchase, or is there something significantly better in that price range?

Cheers!
Did you sort it?