Wan-Bissaka for sale

Brophs

The One and Only
It does seem very likely that AWB out and Frimpong (or someone very similar) would suit ETH down to the ground.

BerryBerryShrew

He’s actually very good with the ball at his feet and progressing the ball forward?
Yes. He looks ungainly and awkward, but he's actually surprisingly press resistant, dribbles out of trouble better than many of the more glamorous full backs, and when he gets into advanced areas, delivers well. His issue is that he is quite tentative to make attacking runs in the final third, but he's coming along nicely.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
I'd be willing to let him leave on a free if it came to it. AWB is the kind of player you let go of, only after getting a proven replacement.

Last edited:

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Seems weird to keep the worse player and keep dalot - calling it good business.

Nicolarra90

Well probably both RB are available for selling at a certain price.

You wouldn't turn down 50m for either.

In reality probably both will still be here next season.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
AWB was one of the players most apparently unsuited to ETH's brand of football before ETH arrived, was literally the first player I saw linked with a move away upon ETH's arrival and has continued to be linked to an exit all season, up to as recently as a month ago as per The Athletic. So hardly a surprise to see it now still being reported that we'd sell for the right amount.

If we see Dalot sign that new contract then we know AWB's time here is limited. And his stock isn't going to get any higher than it will be this summer.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
His stock won’t get any higher than it is right now. He’s come on leaps and bounds but still has serious limitations.

Being completely objective, it’s right we sell given a healthy offer.
Yep, my thinking too.
Its just so unfortunate that he, and Dalot to some degree, are limited once they bypass the half-way line.

2Injurytimegoal

Please no, I don't agree to sell him, if we to sell one right back to sign someone, it is Dalot.

He is one of the best 1 on 1 defender in the world, and he improved a lot in offensive end this year, he will be vital when facing some elite team next year.

If we need a good offensive wing back like R.James or Arnold, that's fair but that guy should replace Dalot instead of AwB

Lecland07

Sure if you want to play on the counter, superb player. If you want to play on the front foot, he's going to severely limit your effectiveness. We should sell him while his stock his relatively high.
I think this is wrong. I believe Bissaka actually suits a possession team more than a defensive one. He is very good in possession: dribbling and quick short passing. He doesn't lose the ball much, at all.

Very good at dealing with a press, also.

His biggest weakness is in the air, which is more of a problem to defensive teams.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I think this is wrong. I believe Bissaka actually suits a possession team more than a defensive one. He is very good in possession: dribbling and quick short passing. He doesn't lose the ball much, at all.

Very good at dealing with a press, also.

His biggest weakness is in the air, which is more of a problem to defensive teams.
He can keep possession and takes on players well, yes - but he creates feck all. His overlapping is poor, as is his crossing. You just need to look at his stats to show you he's not a full back that overlaps or progresses the ball from an inside channel.

https://fbref.com/en/players/9e525177/Aaron-Wan-Bissaka

Unam333

I have no problem selling him. In fact, I have no problem selling any of our players if a.) the transfer fee is right and b.) we get a replacement. Although I have to say he has improved alot this year and if we had to sell one I'd rather sell Dalot.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
He can keep possession and takes on players well, yes - but he creates feck all. His overlapping is poor, as is his crossing. You just need to look at his stats to show you he's not a full back that overlaps or progresses the ball from an inside channel.

https://fbref.com/en/players/9e525177/Aaron-Wan-Bissaka
Don't forget his positioning. The number of goals we conceded when he completely switched off under Ole.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Don't forget his positioning. The number of goals we conceded when he completely switched off under Ole.
I did have concentration down, but was trying to just focus on the attacking attributes he's lacking in, but he always has the tendency to sometimes switch off in big moments.

Red Royal

He is vastly improved and probably better than Dalot (on my opinion). Hopefully he is one of those we don't want to sell but we get a very good offer for. We need to sell players occasionally and upgrade even though they 'can do a job'.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
As we should be. He’s done well to fight back from not being trusted at all, but he’s still far from the quality we need. If anything we should be glad he’s put himself in the shop window the past couple of months. Before that we’d have been lucky to get 10m for him.

Mainoldo

If the manager wants to sell we sell.

Love what’s he’s offered of late but like DDG he doesn’t fit the profile.

luke511

Dalot must be signing a new contract? If he isn't he needs selling over AWB.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
We have AWB is our second best full back, very stupid to sell him unless we bring someone better than him.
I would think it's a given that if AWB was sold we'd sign a fullback more to ETH's requirements. Someone like Frimpong being one name that comes to mind as we've already been linked to him quite a bit. Ditto if Dalot left instead.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
It does seem very likely that AWB out and Frimpong (or someone very similar) would suit ETH down to the ground.
Hazard a guess that he prefers Trippier's type of fullback. None of AWB and Dalot is that type.

Last edited:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Frimpong is going to cost 40m-45m, we need to get as much as we can from Bissaka.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Probably the right move, albeit I like how he’s improved under EtH. Possibly a few factors - cost us more than Dalot, higher salary (iirc) and can hopefully draw a bigger offer from an English club we can reinvest. But yeah, I think we need a starting quality RB as neither are really top tier.

Betson

He has had a good season and I would be disappointed if he left , but unlike a lot of other players we will try to offload there will be no shortage of offers for AWB
and we should get a decent fee.

Kostov

I would think it's a given that if AWB was sold we'd sign a fullback more to ETH's requirements. Someone like Frimpong being one name that comes to mind as we've already been linked to him quite a bit. Ditto if Dalot left instead.
Yes Frimpong seems like a potentially top player, but not sure we have the funds to buy him in addition to needing strikers and midfielders.

JohnyBuckets

Would rather sell Dalot as AWB can do a solid man marking job when required and has improved immensely since the world cup. if we bring in someone like dumfries or frimpong, then selling Dalot makes more sense.

Smores

It's the perfect time to sell him really, had a decent second half of the season and they'll be interest in him. We shouldnt wait until players are completely marginalised to sell them as that's when we get pittance.

Zed 101

Would rather sell Dalot as AWB can do a solid man marking job when required and has improved immensely since the world cup. if we bring in someone like dumfries or frimpong, then selling Dalot makes more sense.
I used to think AWB was one of the best 1 vs 1 defenders around, but the more I have watched him the more I have come to think the reason we see AWB making those impressive sliding tackles is because he has left himself out of position, or is not as good at shepherding and defending his position, this has been increasingly apparent this season where at times he has been stranded in a number 10 position or somewhere over the other side of the pitch, whether this is him trying to improve his attacking side, maybe but look at the converse.

When Dalot is playing at right back we do not look weaker in defence and he isn't needing to dive in making sliding tackles, I think also you can read ETH's opinion in this, when he has on a couple of occasions taken AWB off and moved Dalot from the left where he is covering to the right, how many times has AWB replaced Dalot?

In terms of attacking play AWB is definitely trying and has certainly improved, but there is still no end product, Dalot is more natural in attacking positions and makes good crosses, there is still room for both players to improve in terms of end product.

Not saying Dalot is the be all and end all, before this season I did not see a future for him, but coming up to a transfer window where we need a CB, Mid, minimum 1 striker and more, getting rid of a player who is more than adequate at RB and can cover LB is unthinkable, if one of AWB or Dalot is to leave I am fairly confident it will be AWB, however I think a new RB/LB will be down the list of priorities, maybe next summer but not this.

Bebestation

So all this wan bissaka starting is just a marketing ploy?

Don’t know why Ten Hag and the fans don’t want to start the supposedly better player in Dalot.

Revan

Assumptionman
It's the perfect time to sell him really, had a decent second half of the season and they'll be interest in him. We shouldnt wait until players are completely marginalised to sell them as that's when we get pittance.
Agree. In order to get good money from not that great players, you have to sell then when their stock is high, essentially when they have their purple patch.

We know that AWB has severe limitations that will stop him from ever becoming a great player. In the summer we can get good money for him. If Dalot finds back the form of the first half of the season, or we buy a good RB, then AWB will barely play and essentially be let in a free 2 seasons from now (or send him in loan at the end of next season and then he leaves on a free). Which is what we like to do in the last 10 years.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Don’t know why Ten Hag and the fans don’t want to start the supposedly better player in Dalot.
AWB is better but the club still want to improve on him. Im not mad at that. Dalot will be backup (if he stays)

Club needs to be better at selling on players with value that they know they can improve on

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Because form matters. If AWB is in the squad and playing better than Dalot, he should be starting ahead of him. It's not like people are claiming Dalot is so good he should have his spot guaranteed.

But that doesn't mean Dalot isn't still generally ETH's preferred option over AWB beyond the short-term though. Form matters, but the players are what they are. ETH isn't going to judge them based on this most recent period of form alone.

ZupZup

I used to think AWB was one of the best 1 vs 1 defenders around, but the more I have watched him the more I have come to think the reason we see AWB making those impressive sliding tackles is because he has left himself out of position, or is not as good at shepherding and defending his position, this has been increasingly apparent this season where at times he has been stranded in a number 10 position or somewhere over the other side of the pitch, whether this is him trying to improve his attacking side, maybe but look at the converse.
He is not leaving himself 'out of position'. It's clear when we play that the positions he is moving to are entirely tactical. It's what Ten Hag expects of him and is asking him to do. If he stayed in the right back position, he wouldn't play ten minutes under Ten Hag. He'd be hauled off the pitch.

Sometimes that does mean he has to chase back and make tackles because he is being told to underlap the winger at times to create attacking passing angles. It's the sacrifice the team makes to play attacking football.

Ronaldo's Love Child

I don't see right back as an urgent, pressing need.

Don't get me wrong, if we had a limitless supply of money then an upgrade would be welcome but we have a GK who is costing us points, no striker, inside forwards who should be contributing more (Rashford had a decent season), and a midfield that largely runs around like headless chickens when Casemiro and Eriksen are not in the team.

Right back is not where I would prioritise an upgrade at this time

Bebestation

AWB is better but the club still want to improve on him. Im not mad at that. Dalot will be backup (if he stays)

Club needs to be better at selling on players with value that they know they can improve on
I mean sure - keep the guy who done well for 2-3 months and don’t sell him when he bursts a bubble - why?

Dalot is the one who has increased his value this season and also proven to be just in a purple patch.

AWB got his spot literally soon as he came back to availability.

Anyway, I doubt it will happen -

Ten Hag has used different types of strikers in Weghorst, Rashford & Martial. He has used two different fullbacks in Shaw & Malacia. He has used different Central deeper midfielders in Fred, Eriksen, Mctominay, Casemiro & even Bruno.

I don’t see Ten Hag selling his defensive fullback to keep himself a fullback that is shit both at attacking and defending. Having a choice between players like Frimpong & Wan Bissaka gives you two options of a tactic & what Ten Hag has shown is that he chops and changes tactics a lot to :

a) suit his player
B) oust the opposition

We saw this with Weghorst being used as a number 10, or Rashford being used as a number 9.

Let’s see. I have enjoyed Wan Bissaka’s season and I do think some fans have already ditched him long time ago for building this perception of a player he is or isn’t.

Anyway, the only way this makes sense is if we go for someone like Timber as a RB/RCB. Then we are not getting Kim and we are replacing our defensive RB with another one. That then makes Dalot our attacking RB for the foreseeable future.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I mean sure - keep the guy who done well for 2-3 months and don’t sell him when he bursts a bubble - why?

Dalot is the one who has increased his value this season and also proven to be just in a purple patch.

AWB got his spot literally soon as he came back to availability.

Anyway, I doubt it will happen -

Ten Hag has used different types of strikers in Weghorst, Rashford & Martial. He has used two different fullbacks in Shaw & Malacia. He has used different Central deeper midfielders in Fred, Eriksen, Mctominay, Casemiro & even Bruno.

I don’t see Ten Hag selling his defensive fullback to keep himself a fullback that is shit both at attacking and defending. Having a choice between players like Frimpong & Wan Bissaka gives you two options of a tactic & what Ten Hag has shown is that he chops and changes tactics a lot to :

a) suit his player
B) oust the opposition

We saw this with Weghorst being used as a number 10, or Rashford being used as a number 9.

Let’s see. I have enjoyed Wan Bissaka’s season and I do think some fans have already ditched him long time ago for building this perception of a player he is or isn’t.

Anyway, the only way this makes sense is if we go for someone like Timber as a RB/RCB. Then we are not getting Kim and we are replacing our defensive RB with another one. That then makes Dalot our attacking RB for the foreseeable future.
Because we need a much better starting RB than them both and AWB has the most resale value.