Wan-Bissaka for sale

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I don't see any Premier League side he would improve.
Plenty lower down the table. Just because he’s not good enough for us doesn’t mean he’s not a PL level fullback

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
You tanked his value. He was a project of a potentially great player when you signed him and in 3 years he didn't improve one bit. For the past half season was getting benched by Dalot. He's turning 25 early next season now, and on wages that for every club outside those 14-15 megarich/megaspenders are huge wages. And you want him out. Nobody's gonna sign him outright. Best you can do, send him on loan and hope he does well and rebuilds his value. Then sell next year

tomaldinho1

You tanked his value. He was a project of a potentially great player when you signed him and in 3 years he didn't improve one bit. For the past half season was getting benched by Dalot. He's turning 25 early next season now, and on wages that for every club outside those 14-15 megarich/megaspenders are huge wages. And you want him out. Nobody's gonna sign him outright. Best you can do, send him on loan and hope he does well and rebuilds his value. Then sell next year
If we get Antony for RW, I’d much rather AWB stay and ETH tried to up his level. I think he had great potential when he came here but there’s been no coaching in place for progressing players (every single player who joins us regresses). If RB is not priority this year, he’s better than Dalot and we can recoup a little bit of his value to sell next summer.

croadyman

If we get Antony for RW, I’d much rather AWB stay and ETH tried to up his level. I think he had great potential when he came here but there’s been no coaching in place for progressing players (every single player who joins us regresses). If RB is not priority this year, he’s better than Dalot and we can recoup a little bit of his value to sell next summer.
I am just not sure even Erik can get him to produce the kind of attacking output needed

Lost bear

I am just not sure even Erik can get him to produce the kind of attacking output needed
Yes, he’s not what we need, which is (or at least includes) an attacking full back.
He was an excellent defender, though, until Ole and his coaches got their hands on him.

FiiiiveTenHaaags

Yes, he’s not what we need, which is (or at least includes) an attacking full back.
He was an excellent defender, though, until Ole and his coaches got their hands on him.
I actually agree with this take and to the point that I wouldn’t hate seeing him get coached and given a chance under the new boss.

Also, and I might be way off the mark here, could he be converted to a squad CB? Sometimes when Luke Shaw has played at CB he’s actually looked pretty good there, maybe AWB could be something similar.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I actually agree with this take and to the point that I wouldn’t hate seeing him get coached and given a chance under the new boss.

Also, and I might be way off the mark here, could he be converted to a squad CB? Sometimes when Luke Shaw has played at CB he’s actually looked pretty good there, maybe AWB could be something similar.
Been saying this for a while. When it comes to ideal traits for a CB, his deficiencies (e.g. awareness, positioning) are all coachable rather than innate physical or technical shortcomings.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I agree with this take. The most we’d get for him this summer is probably about 15m as we’d likely have to subsidise his wages. I’d keep him this season and see what Ten Hag can do for him coaching wise. There’s a lot of good raw material there but I just don’t know if it can be molded or not.

Only three viable options are to sell him for peanuts this summer, loan him and hope he increases his value for a sale next summer, or hang on to him this season and see how he does under ETH and then reassess next summer. If he has another bad year and barely plays, he’ll probably accept a pay cut to move, so he can play. But I still think there’s something there to be worked with. I don’t know if it’ll even be at RB. ETH has a history of retraining players. He may be a candidate.

Beans

Supports
Neutral

Considering I've never seen a player worse at judging a ball in the air I'd say that's a non-starter.

NewYorkRed

Been saying this for a while. When it comes to ideal traits for a CB, his deficiencies (e.g. awareness, positioning) are all coachable rather than innate physical or technical shortcomings.
Have we seen the same player play for ManUtd? He lacks everything a CB needs. Heck he lacks almost everything a professional footballer needs.

I think Harry Maguire should be nowhere near the ManUtd first team. I’d pick him over this kid any fecking day and twice on a Sunday. He’s the worst “footballer” to ever put on a United shirt.

Kostov

AWB should not leave unless we get a better RB than him brought. What's the point of loaning him out when we have worse RB starting?

redcucumber

AWB should not leave unless we get a better RB than him brought. What's the point of loaning him out when we have worse RB starting?
Everything that has been reported thus far suggests AWB was the first player to be transfer listed this summer. Undoubtedly Ten Hag okayed that. He obviously rates Dalot higher than AWB, and I find it hard to believe people can't see why. Dalot is far better at linking the play in attacking areas and progressing with the ball. If Ten Hag wants us to play on the front foot, Dalot is better suited to that than AWB will ever be.

DickDastardly

Sure, let's add up to the number of useless defenders we already have.

Fecking hell. It's like Maguire, Bailly, Jones, aren't enough...

tomaldinho1

Not sure it’s essential for this season to be honest given our aim is top four. If we have a limited budget and the focus seems clearly on CMs and an attacker we’re basically left with AWB, Dalot and Laird at RB, the latter I assume will go on loan again. I don’t really see the point in selling him for what will be a paltry fee even if he ends up backup to Dalot. If we sign a new RB then sure but I haven’t seen us linked with anyone.

Varun1

I don't think we should attempt this experiment though. We already have enough suspect defenders.

DickDastardly

There are better RB at our youth level.

If the game was called sliding tackle instead of football, Aaron would be the world champion year after year.
But it's not. And he sucks at football.

Sell him back to Palace for half the price.

Kostov

There are better RB at our youth level.

If the game was called sliding tackle instead of football, Aaron would be the world champion year after year.
But it's not. And he sucks at football.

Sell him back to Palace for half the price.
Let me guess? Laird?

Yes sell him back to Palace, so Crystal Palace has better options at RB than us.

Everything that has been reported thus far suggests AWB was the first player to be transfer listed this summer. Undoubtedly Ten Hag okayed that. He obviously rates Dalot higher than AWB, and I find it hard to believe people can't see why. Dalot is far better at linking the play in attacking areas and progressing with the ball. If Ten Hag wants us to play on the front foot, Dalot is better suited to that than AWB will ever be.
Well it's not that hard, people have actually seen Dalot play just like AWB, they have also seen AWB produce some performances that Dalot has never produced, so it's not as shocking as you seem to make. Dalot for all his far better linking play, is absolute dogshit in the opposition half, and absolutely appalling in defense. One minute he does something brilliant the next one he balloons a cross, he reminds me of Assou-Ekotto just without the parody haircut. If Ten Hag wants to player front foot football, he will need a much better player than Dalot.

redcucumber

Well it's not that hard, people have actually seen Dalot play just like AWB, they have also seen AWB produce some performances that Dalot has never produced, so it's not as shocking as you seem to make. Dalot for all his far better linking play, is absolute dogshit in the opposition half, and absolutely appalling in defense. One minute he does something brilliant the next one he balloons a cross, he reminds me of Assou-Ekotto just without the parody haircut. If Ten Hag wants to player front foot football, he will need a much better player than Dalot.
I imagine Ten Hag has likely seen Dalot and AWB as well, hence why AWB was immediately transfer listed and Dalot wasn't. I'm not saying Ten Hag is infallible, but the reasons for him preferring Dalot to AWB are obviously out there. I'm also not saying Dalot is the answer, but he's more of the type of player that fits Ten Hag's style of football. AWB might be a better player in some respects, but it means the square root of feck all if it's the polar opposite of how Ten Hag sets his sides up.

Also, AWB is worse than Dalot in the opposition half, so if Dalot is 'absolute dogshit' I dread to think what AWB is.

DickDastardly

Let me guess? Laird?

Yes sell him back to Palace, so Crystal Palace has better options at RB than us.
Laird could give it a go.

Jurado is an option as well.
Kid playes some mature football.
I have no idea if he could make it with the big boys but others have made the transition at his age.

Awb would be great at Palace, he's the sort of defender that excels at teams that sit back and actually defend a lot.

I was under the impression we're trying to move away from THAT kind of football and actually be on the front foot for most of the game.

Kostov

Laird could give it a go.

Jurado is an option as well.
Kid playes some mature football.
I have no idea if he could make it with the big boys but others have made the transition at his age.

Awb would be great at Palace, he's the sort of defender that excels at teams that sit back and actually defend a lot.

I was under the impression we're trying to move away from THAT kind of football and actually be on the front foot for most of the game.
I'd actually rather give Laird a go than waste time on Dalot, since I think he is no more than an average back up. Jurado I've not really seen play much. AWB would have been a great option if he actually progressed since we bought him, but he is the same raw RB we brought, with obvious qualities for a coach who knows how to use them. Pep understood Walker was not Dani Alves and adapted to his qualities.

DickDastardly

I'd actually rather give Laird a go than waste time on Dalot, since I think he is no more than an average back up. Jurado I've not really seen play much. AWB would have been a great option if he actually progressed since we bought him, but he is the same raw RB we brought, with obvious qualities for a coach who knows how to use them. Pep understood Walker was not Dani Alves and adapted to his qualities.
Both Laird and Jurado are techically better then Dalot and AWB.

Quick feet, quick minds....

Only thing to assess is, whether they're ready for the physicality of the Prem.

InfiniteBoredom

He was never an excellent defender, he was an excellent tackler.

His positioning has always been tragic.

Zed 101

Despite his awful last season part of me is a bit disappointed (although we probably won't be able to sell anyway due to his wages) I would like to see what ETH could get from players, AWB and Tuanzebe in particular, but then maybe this isn't just about football, has AWB been identified as being a negative influence?

stevoc

While I agree unless we sign a new RB then he's going to have to try to get both AWB and Dalot to improve their attacking output as Dalot's awful going forward as well.

Anustart89

If we sign Antony who’s used to having a full-back that constantly goes forward and gives him an option (and pulls a marker away), and then have AWB behind him who doesn’t make those runs frequently we’ll be here in a year saying Antony’s a flop because he can’t dribble his way out of the constant double marking job that the opponents put on him.

How do I know this? Because I’ve seen the Sancho thread.

acnumber9

If we sign Antony who’s used to having a full-back that constantly goes forward and gives him an option (and pulls a marker away), and then have AWB behind him who doesn’t make those runs frequently we’ll be here in a year saying Antony’s a flop because he can’t dribble his way out of the constant double marking job that the opponents put on him.

How do I know this? Because I’ve seen the Sancho thread.
If Antony requires a full back who makes overlapping runs then he’ll perform better with Wan Bissaka than Dalot. Because Dalot thinks he’s a central midfield player.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Im gonna say no here because his positioning is bad, he can’t head at all

redcucumber

If Antony requires a full back who makes overlapping runs then he’ll perform better with Wan Bissaka than Dalot. Because Dalot thinks he’s a central midfield player.
I disagree. Besides, the problem is what AWB does with the ball on the occasions when he does get into advanced positions. He's in the bottom percentiles (within top 5 leagues) for key passes, passes into the final third and penalty area, crosses into the penalty area, and progressive passes. Dalot scores much higher on every metric. In fact, he's actually in the top percentiles for passes into the final third and progressive passes. That's not to say Dalot is good enough, but it goes to show just how bad AWB is in terms of forward play.

Abraxas

He was never a potentially great player, that's the problem. Sometimes the club simply misevaluates a player, there isn't necessarily a hidden potential lurking beneath the surface that we have been unable to unlock. Sometimes you just sign a complete duff and at 50 mill that's what he is.

The fans have had to make excuses for him and claim that he can improve basic abilities for his entire period at the club, which reflects his quality. It is pretty difficult to build basic technique into a player. It wasn't about polishing a player that already had attacking prowess, he struggles to control the football, struggles to carry the ball, has an extremely limited passing range, and can't cross.

romufc

I see where alot of people are coming with this idea from because he supposedly a very good defensive RB.

However; I have watched enough of him to know he is not a good defender. He relies on slide tackles, which is a big red flag as a CB, I do not want my CB known for slide tackles because in the box, you are bound to get some wrong = penalty.

When the ball is crossed in from the wings, he is never in the right position, always beaten in the air.

We need ball playing CB, he cannot do anything with the ball at his feet which is a big issue.

At RB, he keeps getting done with one twos and when is tracking back, he is forever jogging.

acnumber9

I disagree. Besides, the problem is what AWB does with the ball on the occasions when he does get into advanced positions. He's in the bottom percentiles (within top 5 leagues) for key passes, passes into the final third and penalty area, crosses into the penalty area, and progressive passes. Dalot scores much higher on every metric. In fact, he's actually in the top percentiles for passes into the final third and progressive passes. That's not to say Dalot is good enough, but it goes to show just how bad AWB is in terms of forward play.
If you look at just the past season where Wan Bissaka had his worst season. I’m not sure that would hold true if you look back further. Regardless, Dalot doesn’t overlap.

Spaghetti

Mom's
I wonder how much of the 50m we will get back on him. Considering the wages, we will probably have to give him away.

fps

To me AWB could be a great right of a back three. An utterly bizarre signing though generally, at a bizarre price.

redcucumber

If you look at just the past season where Wan Bissaka had his worst season. I’m not sure that would hold true if you look back further. Regardless, Dalot doesn’t overlap.
Even in AWB's better season of 2020/21, his numbers are underwhelming and he wasn't performing higher than Dalot was this season. Also, did Dalot just have a good season? I'd say definitely not. If his numbers are better than AWB's (either for the season just gone or the one previous) in a season in which the entire squad underperformed, surely that suggests there is more to work with with Dalot than AWB? Besides, Dalot must overlap a bit if he is getting solid to very good passing numbers in advanced positions.