Wan-Bissaka for sale

Erik the Red

Who do you think suits the way Erik wants to play best out of Timber/Frimpong/Vanderson
I think ETH is a very pragmatic manager, and will look at who is available, and who the opposition is, and adjust the game plan accordingly. Frimpong and Timber give completely different options, as Frimpong allows us to have an attacking RB to support the RW in overlaps, and potentially overload on that side. Timber is really a centreback, but could be used similarly to Shaw as a RB / RCB cover, so he could play with Shaw Martinez Varane Timber which is very solid defensively, and the two ex-Ajax guys give good ball progression also.

I would be happy with either of those two, or both. However, it looks like we may be bringing in Kim Min-Jae, so I doubt we will be signing three new defenders, and it looks like Frimpong will be the new RB. Maybe Timber has missed his chance and he will have to wait for Varane to retire to come in as the new RCB / RB. I don't know Vanderson well enough to comment.

Next season our defence could look like:

Shaw / Martinez / Varane / Frimpong /
Malacia Lindelof Kim Min-jae AWB

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
I think ETH is a very pragmatic manager, and will look at who is available, and who the opposition is, and adjust the game plan accordingly. Frimpong and Timber give completely different options, as Frimpong allows us to have an attacking RB to support the RW in overlaps, and potentially overload on that side. Timber is really a centreback, but could be used similarly to Shaw as a RB / RCB cover, so he could play with Shaw Martinez Varane Timber which is very solid defensively, and the two ex-Ajax guys give good ball progression also.

I would be happy with either of those two, or both. However, it looks like we may be bringing in Kim Min-Jae, so I doubt we will be signing three new defenders, and it looks like Frimpong will be the new RB. Maybe Timber has missed his chance and he will have to wait for Varane to retire to come in as the new RCB / RB. I don't know Vanderson well enough to comment.

Next season our defence could look like:

Shaw / Martinez / Varane / Frimpong /
Malacia Lindelof Kim Min-jae AWB
Sorry but if Kim comes, he plays instead of Varane.

PieCrust

Don't like it. Only need to keep 1 of AWB or Dalot and then find a quality RB next summer.

We're going to overpay for a mediocre footballer that isn't good enough to start every week and then never be able to move him when we do evenutally bring in a new starter.

croadyman

Don't like it. Only need to keep 1 of AWB or Dalot and then find a quality RB next summer.

We're going to overpay for a mediocre footballer that isn't good enough to start every week and then never be able to move him when we do evenutally bring in a new starter.
I still think we will get one next summer

Big Andy

Bloke

Nope. Who is the back up if Dalot or Awb get injured? We need both until one is replaced.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
I don’t think he’s shown enough to warrant a new deal. It Dalot also gets a new deal I am totally confused.
You're acting as if they were both bad last season when they both came on leaps and bounds

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
A good old fashioned Woodward style "protecting value" contract offer. :drool:

zaafi

Did people not see how he improved last season? Of course he deserves a contract renewal. It just doesn't necessarily have to include insane wages. If he doesn't accept a reasonable increase, then sell.

M Bison

Supports
York City
It does seem odd, i wonder whether its a push from his side/advice from his agent (a la FM)? Either that or EtH believes he could improve even further beyond last season but wants to get in there before his expectations increase even further (clutching at straws a little!)?

FerociousCorgis

my biggest issue with both our RBs are that they seemingly get into good positions but nothing ever seems to come from it. Hopefully having a true cf will help with that and start to increase the output of everyone else.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
If his contract goes until 2028 why would we do this?

He's improved but I don't think he's the answer on that side. Not a priority for us this summer but we should definitely look to upgrade there.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
Aye be interesting if you keep this energy throughout the season. Neither are good enough in my eyes.
I'm sure you had the exact same thought before last season, and here we are where they're being offered new contracts? Ten Hag has shown hes happy showing anyone the door he doesn't feel is good enough to boot...

Idxomer

He's improved but I don't think he's the answer on that side. Not a priority for us this summer but we should definitely look to upgrade there.
It's up in 2025. I do agree it's a bit early to open talks, let's see how he will perform in the next 6 months before taking a decision.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
It's up in 2025. I do agree it's a bit early to open talks, let's see how he will perform in the next 6 months before taking a decision.
We never learn. There is no way AWB or Dalot are seen as our starting RB's long term. They are so clearly not good enough and the main weaknesses in the squad.

Gandalf

Negotiations typically take months, if we start talking soon there is a good chance nothing is agreed this side of Christmas and at this point it would just be laying the groundwork. If he is happy to renew at similar terms to his existing contract then fair enough, if he wants mad money then walk away and sell him next summer. Right now he is well ahead of Dalot in terms of performance and if that continues it will be Diogo that gets replaced when we do sign another RB.

Judas

Open to offers
I'm sure you had the exact same thought before last season, and here we are where they're being offered new contracts? Ten Hag has shown hes happy showing anyone the door he doesn't feel is good enough to boot...
So? I’m still allowed to think they’re not good enough even if the manager is seemingly satisfied.

OmarUnited4ever

He signed a 5+1 yrs contract in 2019, so he can stay until summer 2025, seems like the club wants to start new contract negotiations before he enters the last year of his current deal, it's a normal way to go about contract management of the squad, the hope is the club does not give him a substantial pay rise so he can sold for a decent fee if a new and a better RB is brought in.

Withnail

You're acting as if they were both bad last season when they both came on leaps and bounds
AWB was better going forward in that he managed the bare minimum of hanging on to the ball and getting a few crosses in. He was still pretty in his positioning. I've no idea why he should get a payrise.

When is his current contract up?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Tbf he's also shown he is willing to let the club negotiate contract terms with people only to actually make a different decision on them at the last minute

Until AWB actually signs a new contract I would say neither he nor Dalot are safe. If AWB does sign a new contract, I would think Dalot will be made available next summer.

Posh Red

I don’t see the issue personally. We need both of them for now, and extending their contracts doesn’t mean they can’t be sold in the next couple of seasons. I think they’re good enough players that you could argue this protects their value. Both are still fairly young.

Edit: this relies on the assumption that we don’t offer them silly wages. Perhaps it’s naive to assume that won’t be the case.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
I don’t see the issue personally. We need both of them for now, and extending their contracts doesn’t mean they can’t be sold in the next couple of seasons. I think they’re good enough players that you could argue this protects their value. Both are still fairly young.
Long contract on a wage that no one else will offer him, we'd have to bridge the gap in wages. I wonder if that would be more lucrative than selling him with 1 year left on his contract. Possibly.

He's on 90 - 100k per week.

Posh Red

Long contract on a wage that no one else will offer him, we'd have to bridge the gap in wages. I wonder if that would be more lucrative than selling him with 1 year left on his contract. Possibly.

He's on 90 - 100k per week.
If you had told a United fan that we would receive 60-70m in offers for Maguire and McTominay this window a couple of months ago, they wouldn’t believe it. Even after we bridge the gap in Maguire’s wages, we will still be left with an outcome that most United fans will be really pleased with.

I think maybe we underestimate our own players value at times.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
So? I’m still allowed to think they’re not good enough even if the manager is seemingly satisfied.
Not saying you're not but by your own admission you're confused since dalot already signed a new contract and AWB is seemingly on his way. They were both very good last season and not a position we need desperately filled.