Television WandaVision

Sylar

I didn't say it was fan service. I said I hoped it wouldn't become fan service. Because instead I wanted to watch a decent sci-fi/fatasy story.

So far, the content has been minimal. What little there has been is only understandable to fans who understand the history of the comic books. That's the only indication of the audience they're going for.
Ok I get that

But what would make it fan service
That I don't get?

Based on the trailers, we are getting what it promised so far
And again, it's been two 20-30 minute episodes

Dante

Average bang
Ok I get that

But what would make it fan service
That I don't get?

Based on the trailers, we are getting what it promised so far
And again, it's been two 20-30 minute episodes
It would become fan service if it continued down the path of poorly realised parody, with random Easter eggs to keep fanboys happy.

If nobody had told anyone this was related to Marvel, it would have garnered zero interest and zero word of mouth based on what's actually been aired. The first 50 minutes has only been tolerable because the fandom exists and has been willing to do the heavy lifting in terms of filling in the gaps.

By any reasonable measure, a decent story should be able stand on its own two feet. So far, that's not happening. If this had been a Netflix-style full season release, it would have more forgivable to start off with two episodes of fluff. But as a serialised weekly, there should really be more substance within each episode. I don't even care if the writing is clever or creative at this point. I just wanted something I could sink my teeth into.

Sylar

It would become fan service if it continued down the path of poorly realised parody, with random Easter eggs to keep fanboys happy.

If nobody had told anyone this was related to Marvel, it would have garnered zero interest and zero word of mouth based on what's actually been aired. The first 50 minutes has only been tolerable because the fandom exists and has been willing to do the heavy lifting in terms of filling in the gaps.

By any reasonable measure, a decent story should be able stand on its own two feet. So far, that's not happening. If this had been a Netflix-style full season release, it would have more forgivable to start off with two episodes of fluff. But as a serialised weekly, there should really be more substance within each episode. I don't even care if the writing is clever or creative at this point. I just wanted something I could sink my teeth into.
But why are we talking about what it's not
We know what it is and there's no trying to hide from it

Marvel are clearly going this path to be different and because they have that goodwill

Of course if it was a stand alone show not related to marvel it would be treated differently. Yes that's not denied

But thats all hypotheticals. What we do know is facts, this is of course marvel and is into the next phase after end game

Why is it a bad thing they are leaning on their fandom to fill in gaps (so far)
Again, I reiterate two episodes have gone. There's not a whole lot of gap filling that's been needed

I mean I don't see how this is seen as a parody. Marvel aren't doing this to make fun of 60s type sitcoms.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
No point talking about the hypothetical. It's 2 characters that have already been developed within the MCU who still have various untold stories from the comics, and who'll no doubt be appearing in future films. The show itself is being used to launch the 4th phase of over a decade worth of films.

What could you possibly compare that too?

The "if it wasn't marvel" argument is pointless, because you can't compare a show like it to anything else.

Sylar

No point talking about the hypothetical. It's 2 characters that have already been developed within the MCU who still have various untold stories from the comics, and who'll no doubt be appearing in future films. The show itself is being used to launch the 4th phase of over a decade worth of films.

What could you possibly compare that too?

The "if it wasn't marvel" argument is pointless, because you can't compare a show like it to anything else.
Exactly how I see it (and said as much in my post)

It's a weird thing to do talking about
If this wasn't marvel...

Norris

That was a really fascinating episode. Really good after the annoyance of the first two.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
There's no way the villain isn't
Mephisto

Right?

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Really enjoyed that. The cracks are getting bigger each episode. Nice reference to AoS with the Hydra soap ad.

I keep waiting for a post-credit scene, but nothing :(

Oldyella

Really enjoyed that. The cracks are getting bigger each episode. Nice reference to AoS with the Hydra soap ad.

I keep waiting for a post-credit scene, but nothing :(
Yeah, same, have enjoyed them all so far. I love the little glitches we are seeing.

As for Mephisto as villian, it makes a ton of sense, he was the
villain in the comics who took away her kids
, we could see the same here

Tiber

Just watched episode one. A black and white sitcom? Not exactly what I expected

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
The 3rd was even worse. Last 4 minutes moved the plot along, the rest was just sloooooooow.
Eh? The entire episode is relevant.
They're not random kids thrown in to fill an episode, and there's cracks throughout....

Sylar

Enjoy seeing the cracks get bigger and bigger

I don't mine that it's not just thrown into it and opened up after one episode

Also wanda correcting issues like rewinding visions suspicions is great

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
The third episode actually made me laugh a few times but it was still rather dull (outside of the rewinding) until the last 5 minutes which were very good. I’m assuming it’s going to kick into gear fully at some point soon and all this waiting will be worth it. Like many of us I’m still watching it for what it will become rather than what it is but I do give credit to its originality. It’s certainly a very different comic book tv show.

Conor

I found the first 2 episodes pretty boring; as said by others, far too much of the woeful American sitcom stuff. You can set a premise for a story without it spanning multiple complete episodes. I reckon the creator(s) have a 50s nostalgia fetish or something, and nabbed the chance to go deep on it(that opportunity isn't exactly easy to come by). I will stick with it though, and it definitely looks to be getting better. They are both great actors, so I think it will pan out.

Rustyspider13

The comedy of episode 3 didn't really work for me as much as the first two episodes. But Wanda's degree of control did put some doubt in my mind regarding the villain. Loved the mention of

Ultron and Pietro. Wanda was channeling some "why did you say that name!" energy when Geraldine mentioned Ultron. Hope Pietro shows up in one of these as the annoying, good-for-nothing sibling of the spouse

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Well you can't accuse them of taking the easy/obvious road!

Surely this is all a coping mechanism for Vision dying? I mean it feels hugely obvious, but maybe too obvious?

Sylar

Well you can't accuse them of taking the easy/obvious road!

Surely this is all a coping mechanism for Vision dying? I mean it feels hugely obvious, but maybe too obvious?
I think that's what it is as
right after she lost vision, she got dusted away
Then she came back in endgame basically angry at thanos, fighting him and that was it. We didn't see anything else in terms of her coping with visions loss who meant a lot to her but was basically not a lot to everyone else

Tiber

3 episodes in now and it's vaguely making sense. But the first episode was a very weak start imo. Seriously considered giving up on the entire series.

I guess they are just relying on Marvel brand power to make people stick with the series despite a very dull start involving a black and white dinner party?

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I’m now 100% convinced of the direction this is going and I like it. Definitely took the 3 episodes for enough little hints to make it clear. By episode 2 I had the feeling of it being about a certain character as a villain and episode 3 confirmed it for me

I’m so bloody excited!

Ekeke

3 episodes in and theres been about 10 mins of storyline, all of which has been pretty much what you'd expect from the storyline going in. So if you skip all 3 episodes I would think you could easily pick up the plot when something actually happens.

Everything else apart from the 10 mins of actual development I'd give

Entertainment : 2/10
Comedy : 2/10 -
The quality of a saturday morning's children's tv show with some slightly more adult jokes

Yes, yes. Its "differernt". Like a chocolate teapot is different. Different doesn't make something good if it isnt a good idea. The real test of this shows qaulity is, if you werent a Marvel fanboy ready to **** and put a positive spin on anything anything to do with Marvel, would you be watching the show? I don't believe that there would be many people at all watching if the show wasnt Marvel featuring a few characters from the Marvel movies. I'll watch 1 more episode then I'm ready to consign this to being the very worst show about superheroes that I've seen.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
3 episodes in and theres been about 10 mins of storyline, all of which has been pretty much what you'd expect from the storyline going in. So if you skip all 3 episodes I would think you could easily pick up the plot when something actually happens.

Everything else apart from the 10 mins of actual development I'd give

Entertainment : 2/10
Comedy : 2/10 -
The quality of a saturday morning's children's tv show with some slightly more adult jokes

Yes, yes. Its "differernt". Like a chocolate teapot is different. Different doesn't make something good if it isnt a good idea. The real test of this shows qaulity is, if you werent a Marvel fanboy ready to **** and put a positive spin on anything anything to do with Marvel, would you be watching the show? I don't believe that there would be many people at all watching if the show wasnt Marvel featuring a few characters from the Marvel movies. I'll watch 1 more episode then I'm ready to consign this to being the very worst show about superheroes that I've seen.
Tl:dr So it's crap?